Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

"Popeye" muscles

Poster: A snowHead
Poster: A snowHead
This is totally not related to skiing (the muscles are necessary for poling) but I strained my biceps(?) mid-June. The muscles are the ones between the elbow & shoulder at the front of the arm. The damage was done lowering HEAVY bags of soil & huge pots over a first floor balcony on the end of a rope.... The muscles were very painful and putting on a coat, pulling up trousers, wrapping a towel around was painful to say the least. It gradually calmed down & then 4 weeks ago I made the mistake of crewing during a race on a 33' boat - just a 2 woman female crew. It hurt to wind the winches but we were racing...
So - back to square one & the muscles are hurting. Badly. To the extent the pain disturbs my sleep. Do I need to see a physio or is it just a question of time?
Thanks for your help.
PS Female, 69 yrs
snow conditions
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
@jilly29, I can't remember how long it took for the pain - and spectacular bruising - to go when I had this, but go they did and I had no physio. Still looks a bit weird, of course.
ski holidays
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Perhaps it is DOMS (Delayed Onset Muscle Soreness)? I've had it a couple of times when using muscles in an usual way (in my case it was jet skiing), and the pain was unbelievable. Came on the day after the activity, and I could barely walk for a couple of days, and took well over a week to recover fully. As I understand it, DOMS is the result of loads of little micro-tears in the muscle fibres rather than a single injury to the muscle, as a result of the activity you were doing. I took some paracetamol but that didn't even dull the pain, so time was the only healer.
latest report
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
You need to Login to know who's really who.
Thanks - I thought time was going to be the answer...
snow report
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
"Popeye" muscles, do you really mean that ie the muscle is malformed? If so it's probably a partial rupture. I did it 5 years ago and it's exceedingly painful. I had physio but didn't want surgery. It looks a little strange but doesn't really trouble me now.
ski holidays
 You'll need to Register first of course.
You'll need to Register first of course.
A description of DOMS, and how it differers from other muscle injuries (if you have bruising that's definitely not DOMS, but more significant muscle or ligament injury). That article has some suggestions for managing the pain (none of which worked in my limited experience, as the pain was so bad it became funny - at least for my girlfriend who couldn't contain her laughs as I tried to walk down stairs sideways).
ski holidays
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
No - just the position of them. The arm looks normal. Just hurts like hell.
latest report
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
Had a quick peep ta a picture of Popeye. Got it wrong. My painful muscles are between elbow & shoulder
snow report
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
@jilly29, Whilst I expect time will heal my go to is always physio (but I have regular appointments for ongoing maintenance anyway). One appt to see what the problem is and get exercises, if necessary. do what the physio says.
latest report
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
Ski the Net with snowHeads
Quote:

It hurt to wind the winches but we were racing...

No advice to offer - but OF COURSE you had to grind the winches! I now crew on a boat with powered winches and a very elderly crew (at 73 I am the youngest - the skipper is 86!!) - and we rarely race!

Hope your arms soon get better.
latest report
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
A can or two of spinach should sort them.
latest report
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
Could be a strain of the bicep tendon
snow conditions
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
@Frosty the Snowman, absolutely and often called regimental badge because there is a sensory nerve sprout there. You think it is the muscle but it is actually the tendon.
snow report

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy