Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

skiing this winter- is anyone Going to France

Poster: A snowHead
Is anyone skiing in France this winter in view of the current travel restrictions which are not likely to be lifted any time soon?
ski holidays
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Im edging my bets for late march, but not sure which country yet.
ski holidays
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Yes
snow report
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
Sadly not, hopefully we can transfer to December next year. Keeping fingers x for Easter 2021 too.
snow conditions
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Currently yes, but will change nearer the time if we can't and there's options elsewhere
latest report
 You'll need to Register first of course.
Loads of people are and are not. Do a search. Sorry...tired of multiple threads ...
ski holidays
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Depart the UK in 38 days Very Happy
latest report
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
I hope to
snow report
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
Yes I am
snow report
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
Yes
snow report
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
Planning to look for opportunities to go, but nothing concrete. combination of status of UK lockdown/covid rules and France/Austria/Switzerland/Italy rules will be the deciding factor.
ski holidays
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
Booking in for HT week, roll-over travel tickets for the train and only a £50 exposure if we need to cancel
snow report
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
2 weeks booked in January.
snow report
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
1 week booked in mid March. I can easily work from home so quarantine on return shouldn't be too much of a problem.

Missing Christmas this year.....which is feeling very odd as first Christmas at home for 15 years but too much uncertainity with Covid, brand new grandchild and daughter not sure what her work position will be come January (we may be doind a December removal from Orkney to the South Coast of England) it all felt a bit too difficult.

Made the decision back in August and it seemed very sensible at the time, now Christmas is approaching though it still sounds sensible but not as much fun rolling eyes
ski holidays
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Just cancelled holiday for 12th Dec week. Leaving booking for 27 Mar in place for now.
ski holidays
Two self drive self catering trips to France booked with flexible conditions. Still keen to go but will have to see how things are nearer the time. snowHead
snow report
I drive and as soon as they let me across on the new year I am off ..nothing booked but you dont really need to Very Happy
snow conditions
Going early enough in the Christmas holidays for the kids to quarantine on return and start school on time.
ski holidays
RobH2017 wrote:
Going early enough in the Christmas holidays for the kids to quarantine on return and start school on time.

Out of interest, how are you managing that?

Doesn't everybody only have 2 weeks of at Christmas?
snow conditions
From today's D Telegraph:

Quarantine could be reduced to seven days by Dec 1 in time for Christmas, Grant Shapps has said.

The Transport secretary said he hoped to have Covid-19 testing in place by the beginning of December to enable holidaymakers and business travellers to quit quarantine after paying for a single negative test on the seventh day after their return.
“The only caveat being this will now be in the hands of the private sector, and making sure that sufficient tests are available,” he told an aviation industry summit.

It would mean families and their children could go on holiday in the knowledge they would not have to go into 14-day isolation and miss school on their return, and enable relatives to visit depending on local or national lockdowns by then.
Mr Shapps also revealed that he was studying proposals to eradicate quarantine through travellers taking a pre-departure test followed by daily testing before and after arrival.

Such a scheme could initially be trialled on the “blue riband” US-UK routes to open up business links and a tourist trade worth some £25 million a day between the two countries. A third option would involve pre-departure testing up to 72 hours before flying. Followed by testing after arrival which could reduce quarantine by as much as 10 or 12 days in the UK.

It came as it was announced that Britain’s first pre-departure testing centres will be opened at Heathrow’s Terminals Two and Five to offer travellers the chance to pay £80 for a Covid test which is required for countries such as Hong Kong and Italy to avoid quarantining on arrival. They will provide passengers with results within 60 minutes and will be trialled for four weeks to assess demand. Cyprus, Greece, the Bahamas and Bermuda are among those now requiring pre-departure tests.

A task force headed by Mr Shapps and Matt Hancock, the health Secretary, will report to Boris Johnson at the start of November in time for decisions before Dec 1.

Mr Shapps suggested there would be two tiers, starting with a “test and release” regime with a single swab paid for by UK arrivals to release them from quarantine after a week if negative for Covid-19. Alongside that domestic regime, he said the UK was working with other countries to such as the US on pre-departure testing schemes to establish if self-isolation should take place before travellers flew.
“We need a global system and the UK will show leadership by developing a framework for international travel,” he said. “That could involve a series of tests, which may involve quarantine, before or after flight, or a combination of the two, and ultimately if the technology is there, no quarantine at all in return for perhaps daily rapid tests.

“So we are working on both versions. That international version requires international cooperation. I don’t want to put all our eggs in the basket or wait for what you might describe as an [international] standard to be developed. I can do [the domestic version] on our own.”

The aviation industry is pushing for quarantine to be no more than five days. Sean Doyle, the new boss of British airways, yesterday demanded that self-isolation for international arrivals is replaced by tests before departure.

Last edited by Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do. on Tue 20-10-20 9:14; edited 1 time in total
latest report
Layne wrote:
RobH2017 wrote:

My son and daughter usually had around 4 weeks off at Christmas. I remember in her second last year of school she finished on 9 December.
snow report
I heard an interview with the CEO of Heathrow back in April, where he said they were now ready for temperature scanning of all passengers, with the processes and space in place to take positive travellers aside and apply further tests. He said they'd have the ability to hold people for a few hours. Basically, saying they can do any pre-flight checking that the the UK and destinations wanted to apply. The only caveat was that if results took more than a couple of hours to process, then obviously, travellers would have to be prepared to isolate in special hotels nearby, but that they could handle the transfers these would involve. That was back in April, and it's now October, so forgive me if I'm sceptical that the Minister's Nirvana solution will be in place in time. Juxaposing the names of Schapps, Johnson and Hancock against the term 'task force' is an oxymoron as far as I'm concerned.
snow report
Quote:

Layne wrote:
RobH2017 wrote:

My son and daughter usually had around 4 weeks off at Christmas. I remember in her second last year of school she finished on 9 December.

Exactly that. We get nearly 4 weeks off. We don’t go back until the end of the second week in January. If it drops to 10 days quarantine on return even better. A pure fluke this winter as normally we go in the last week of the holidays but when we booked last January circumstances meant we had to go earlier.
ski holidays
Layne wrote:
RobH2017 wrote:

Private school kids. Different rules to the peasantry
ski holidays
davidof wrote:
Private school kids. Different rules to the peasantry

So they've got more money and get cheaper ski holidays... somethings not right wink Toofy Grin rolling eyes
latest report
Headin to Les Arcs for the whole of January hopefully!
latest report
will be driving - but will wait till last minute to book anything. Will wait and see as everything seems to be constantly changing.
Not worried about quarantine on return, thats not a problem. Happy to pay for any testing required.
Will only travel during quieter times - January & March.
snow conditions
Tunnel booked for early crossing on Boxing Day, and hoping that the Saturday transfer day won’t involve the usual traffic chaos..as normally we would avoid the Saturday transfer (an upside of the virus?). Eurotunnel says Sunday 27th is a busy day. Not sure whether we will have a car full of fellow skiers or whether it will just be me and Mr P. It’ll probably just the two of us, as the younger Mr Ps plus girlfriends have jobs and can’t quarantine. We may see if an unemployed ski friend wants to come with us though.

We hope to be out in our place for least 4 weeks, plus I’ve have added a week for quarantine/ WFH and a week “remote only” work. Very lucky to be able to take the time and have our own place to stay. We are hoping to clear builder’s dust and set up rooms pre season, though at present that means Mr P heading out at the end of this month, while I work.
I realise I’m presuming that we don’t go down with it. Lyon and now Savoie increasingly buggy...But I can’t see Macron closing everything down as he did in March.
ski holidays
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
Im keeping an open mind....but know a few that are saying maybe March or maybe just miss skiing altogether this year! Shocked
ski holidays
Have Eurotunnel tickets booked for 10 December, returning at the end of the month. Hoping I can use them, but if not they can be changed to different dates without penalty. Jane has a flight booked when school breaks up so she can fly out and join me for Christmas, and that's also amenable without penalty. So we have options: I go out as planned & Jane joins me for Christmas; I go out as planned but return early for Christmas at home; we switch our plans to Easter; we switch our plans to the following season. At the moment I have no idea which of those options we'll take, probably won't have an idea until we get to early December as there are so many variables that as yet we don't know about. The only decision point I have before then is 30 November, by which time I have to decide whether to buy a season pass or some other type of lift pass this winter.

For the time being I'm not bothering to even think about any of this, the information I need to make a decision just isn't available yet.
snow report
Doesn’t this belong to the “piste” section instead of Bend ze knees?
ski holidays
Giro d'Italia bike race banned from France
latest report
@rob@rar, that sums up our thinking as well. So many different variables - just have to wait a bit longer but the season pass deadline is a key one
latest report

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy