Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Cleaning wax?

Poster: A snowHead
anyone got a recommended UK place to get some cleaning wax? Got 3 pairs of skis to do, so am going to by a fair bit as I reckon it won't go off, and should see me thru the summer indoor skiing season!!

Cheers,

Greg
latest report
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
gregh, I got 2kg of SKS universal yellow wax from Ronnie at Kandie Imports (01324 861 296) for under £40 shipped. It's great for cleaning.

For multi hot scapes when base prepping new skis or after a grind I've been using Dominator Zoom Renew (from http://www.snocat.co.uk ) which has been excellent.

Last edited by Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person on Sat 13-05-06 16:04; edited 1 time in total
ski holidays
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Ronnie won't sell to me, as I'm not a retailer!! He also insists I should be using a base cleaner/wax remover and says it doesn't dry the base out at all, called it an olds wife's tale!

So still looking....

regards,

Greg
snow report
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
gregh wrote:
Ronnie won't sell to me, as I'm not a retailer!!

gregh, Neither is spyderjon! But he's from Liverpool so he can get hold of anything Laughing
snow conditions
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
What about clubbing together for a group purchase? I'd like some cheap universal wax for cleaning/storage, as well as some basic hydrocarbon wax in warm and cold for general use. A kilo of each would be about right for me.
snow conditions
 You'll need to Register first of course.
gregh, I've been using Halfords Citrus Cycle cleaner as a wax remover Shocked ....bases cleaned up nicely, snowHead didn't seem to do any harm... snowHead
ski holidays
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
gregh wrote:
Ronnie won't sell to me, as I'm not a retailer!! He also insists I should be using a base cleaner/wax remover and says it doesn't dry the base out at all, called it an olds wife's tale!

gregh, I disagree with Ronnie re using a base cleaner. Not only does it dry out the base unnecessarily but I don't think that it actually cleans as deep into the base as a hot scrape. Being pretty anal about tuning methodology I actually tested this about a month ago on a pair of my mate's skis that he'd been ski guiding on for three weeks in spring snow & had only been waxed, but never cleaned.

I hot scraped ski #1 & then used SKS base cleaner (from Ronnie) on ski #2. I then hot scraped both skis.
The wax scrapings from ski #1 were clean whilst the wax scapings from ski #2 still contained a noticeable amount of dirt. When hot scraping the heat from the iron 'opens up' the base & the applied wax sticks to the residual wax (there's a fancy name for this property which I can't remember just now) containing the dirt, all of which is then 'pulled out' by the scraping.

The use of a base cleaner is great for localised prepping of a patch repair to give the best p-tex to p-tex adhesion.

I'm just in the process of finalising my trade accounts with Ronnie & a few other distributors/manufacturers for my ski tuning business. This should be done within a week or two then I'll be able to supply you. I'll let you know asap.

Last edited by Then you can post your own questions or snow reports... on Fri 12-05-06 17:17; edited 1 time in total
latest report
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
rob@rar.org.uk wrote:
What about clubbing together for a group purchase? I'd like some cheap universal wax for cleaning/storage, as well as some basic hydrocarbon wax in warm and cold for general use. A kilo of each would be about right for me.

rob, I'm just in the process of finalising my trade accounts with Ronnie & a few other suppliers for my ski tuning business. This should be done within a week or two.

I've ok'd it with Admin re adding my tuning service to my snowHeads profile & once I definately know what tuning products I can offer to fellow snowheads then I'm sure that I'll be able to agree a snowHeads contribution with Admin.

Watch this space!
snow report
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
"cohesion"
snow report
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
spyderjon, still a bit expensive though? Without any discount you can get the granulated universal wax from the likes of Worden in France at a very reasonable 68 euros (about £46) for over 5 kgs*. Supposed to be used with a machine (little roundish balls of wax), but I know plenty of people who use it for general purpose waxing and cleaning.

* - 5.395 kgs net for some reason.
snow report
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
sorry if i'm being stupid but i'm a snowboarder not a skier, but surely cleaning ski's before waxing is the same as cleaning a board.

we use white spirit, super cheap and as good as base cleaner.

also when waxing your board/ski's, remember to edge first, but why melt on wax??? if you buy your wax in a block, rub it on cold, rub good and hard using lots and lots of pressure, then iron, then scrape but i'll bet you dont need to scrape much.

super time saving trick that one! We have 10 boards at our chalet this meathod gets them done super quick and super smoth and ready to go!

if its different for ski's i'm about to find out i guues! Embarassed
latest report
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
snowangel., melting the wax with an iron is much better for getting the wax into the base of the ski/board. The base material is porous, and what you're trying to do is fill the porous structure, not coat the surface. Cold rubbing is OK because the friction partially melts the wax, but using a hot iron is much easier/effective.
snow report
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
snowangel, how's that quicker than melting on the wax & then ironing it in? All that rubbing takes time & effort!

Admittedly the 'cold crayoning' method saves on wax but you'd find it faster & considerably less effort if you 'hot crayon', ie touching the block of wax on the hot iron for a second or two & then rubbing it on the base until the softened wax is transfered. Keep on repeating along/across the base & then iron, leave to cool & then scrape, as you're currently doing.

As 'crayoning' keeps wax use to the a minimum it's important that the iron isn't too hot as it's easy to burn the base when there's only a little wax on the surface.

As rob says, the idea is to get wax into the base, not onto it.

I'd also reckon that in general, especially hire boards, tend to be used at slower speeds than skis which means that the wax will last longer. I'll now duck for cover wink.

Last edited by So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much on Fri 12-05-06 21:19; edited 2 times in total
ski holidays
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
have to totally disagree (having a top techi husband who taught me how to do it) the time and effort it takes to scrape a board back is much more than the way we do it.
for us its tried and tested and works lovely with no burnt board bases!

and being he used to have to do 50 - 60 boards in one day last season i kind of trust him!
ski holidays
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Save time scraping, use Fiberlene under your iron on the last pass.

PG, straight paraffin is even cheaper, works great, too soft for actually skiing snow gun snow though.
ski holidays
comprex wrote:
"cohesion"

Correct, but that's not the word I was thinking about. It'll come to me soon.
latest report
snowangel. wrote:
have to totally disagree (having a top techi husband who taught me how to do it) the time and effort it takes to scrape a board back is much more than the way we do it. for us its tried and tested and works lovely with no burnt board bases!

If it works for you then great. My experience with hot crayoning on skiers versus cold crayoning is just that it's a lot easier to apply the wax but equally easy to scrape.

snowangel. wrote:
and being he used to have to do 50 - 60 boards in one day last season.....

Rather him than me Shocked.
snow report
comprex wrote:
PG, straight paraffin is even cheaper, works great, too soft for actually skiing snow gun snow though.
We get a lot of that! wink

Ever read this paper?

A major point is Kuzmin's suggestion that the pores in the base are so tiny that wax cannot penetrate the base. His reasoning seems to be that water cannot be absorbed, and as water molecules are much smaller than paraffin molecules the latter has no chance of being absorbed into the base.

Any thoughts? Is the wax industry conning us? Smile
snow report
PG wrote:
Any thoughts? Is the wax industry conning us? Smile

Not sure about the science, but my personal experience is that in certain snow conditions there is a significant difference in how skis glide depending on whether they have recently been waxed or not. There were several occasions last season when I couldn't be bothered to wax my skis in the evening, only to regret that decision the following day because of how the skis were running.
latest report
Fascinating stuff - did the Swedes consider sintered UHMWPE bases in their study?
ski holidays
rob@rar.org.uk, definitely - one piece of conclusive proof was when at the end of a long day of off-piste at the BLAM, we paused for a drink, and I applied some rub-on Toko wax (from the instructions on the box it sounded as if it was targeting water-skiers, so it seemed ideal wink).

In the damper, flatter sections on the way back to the Vanoise, I then found myself gliding effortlessly past several 'larger' skiers in our group Very Happy.
snow report
PG wrote:
rob@rar.org.uk, definitely - one piece of conclusive proof was when at the end of a long day of off-piste at the BLAM, we paused for a drink, and I applied some rub-on Toko wax (from the instructions on the box it sounded as if it was targeting water-skiers, so it seemed ideal wink).

There were times when I wished I'd had some of that stuff at the EOSB. Sometimes it felt as if snow gremlins were grabbing your feet as you skied past them!
snow conditions
gregh, Having spent years around some of the best techs in the business, I can safely say that if you would like to screw up the gliding characteristics of your skis completely then by all means use base cleaner, however it's a much better idea to only hot scrape and brush them. Swix Base Prep or CH8 is really good for this Madeye-Smiley
snow conditions
PG,
Quote:

In the damper, flatter sections on the way back to the Vanoise, I then found myself gliding effortlessly past several 'larger' skiers in our group

Hmmmm, I seem to remember you gliding past me Razz
latest report
snowbunny, oops Embarassed, I of course wasn't referring to the younger skiers present! Very Happy
ski holidays
I'm not entirely convinced you haven't dug yourself a separate hole there wink
ski holidays
When in such a hole best to stop digging Laughing
ski holidays
boredsurfin, or contact these guys Laughing
snow report
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
boredsurfin, Ian Hopkinson, Wear The Fox Hat, I'm not sure how big, or what shape of hole PG, wants to dig here Laughing

Okay, seriously, so, how do you "hot scrape" then?
snow report
snowbunny, just scrape the wax off before it cools too much.
snow report
marc gledhill, Thanks. I can do that!. Then, do I re wax and leave to cool before scraping and finishing off?
snow conditions
snowbunny, really, really keen ski polishers would say yes.

And by re waxing and letting it cool it possibly gets a bit more wax into the base.
ski holidays
marc gledhill, Can I use any ski wax, or does it need to be CH8 for the hot scrape?
latest report
Make the most of it! The European Parliament might not let us wax our skis for much longer! Shocked Article to follow ...
snow report
snowbunny, if you're hot scraping to clean the bases and the re waxing - then the cheapest you can get your hands on seems to be the way to go.
snow report
PG,
Quote:

Make the most of it! The European Parliament might not let us wax our skis for much longer! Article to follow ...

Time to stockpile the wax then wink
snow conditions
PG wrote:
Make the most of it! The European Parliament might not let us wax our skis for much longer! Shocked Article to follow ...

There was a thread on epic joking about the effects of all the wax put onto the slopes via the bottom of the skis. I hope it isn't that type of enviro problem you're talking about.
latest report
Afraid so. And not just because of the alleged effect on flora, fauna too. Only rumours at the moment though.
snow report
PG,
Quote:

Make the most of it! The European Parliament might not let us wax our skis for much longer!

All the more reason to ski in Switzerland then Madeye-Smiley
snow report
snowbunny wrote:
I'm not sure how big, or what shape of hole PG, wants to dig here Laughing
I think - from this photo taken during on that day - that it's clear I didn't mean either you, Matthew, James or John Lennon! wink

(click for bigger pic)
snow conditions

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy