Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Gondolas This Winter

Poster: A snowHead
If you make it to the mountains are you really going to jump in a gondola with a bunch of sweaty heavy breathing strangers for 10 minutes or longer squeezed in cheek by jowl, in a stuffy and condensation dripping plastic box

Even if you get in a small six man bubble only with your own household bubble, it’s just been vacated by sweaty bunch of strangers.

Imagine high winds and it gets stuck for 30 mins ?

It’s not far off licking a covid laced petrie dish Skullie Blush
latest report
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Sounds great, bring it on NehNeh

rayscoops wrote:
Even if you get in a small six man bubble only with your own household bubble, it’s just been vacated by sweaty bunch of strangers.

No, it was vacated 10 min ago.
ski holidays
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
I don't use gondolas or cable cars at the best of times - what a palava taking your skis on and off eh? That's one reason I'm not going to LDA for this half term despite the good conditions on the glacier.

Will also avoid Venice.

snow report
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
rayscoops wrote:
If you make it to the mountains are you really going to jump in a gondola with a bunch of sweaty heavy breathing strangers for 10 minutes or longer squeezed in cheek by jowl, in a stuffy and condensation dripping plastic box

Imagine high winds and it gets stuck for 30 mins ?

It’s not far off licking a covid laced petrie dish Skullie Blush

Sounds like the tube!
snow report
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Isn't it a matter of relative probabilities? Rather than absolute risk? Where we ski, yes, we'd be in a gondola for 10 minutes in our own group first thing. After that, the rest of the day we'd be using chairs. How does that compare to being at home and, say, sharing a railway carriage for 70 minutes? Or being on a bus for half an hour? Or walking 'round a busy supermarket for 40 minutes? Or meeting-up with other members of the family for lunch in someone's home?
snow conditions
 You'll need to Register first of course.
We're going to La Rosiere (all things allowing...) and from what I can tell from the piste map, having never been before, there's only 1 cable car/gondola in the are over in La Thuile, which you can take a chair instead.

Will I get in a gondola, maybe, but if there's a chair alternative, i'll probably take that instead, prefer them anyway.
snow report
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
It's a good question and something I have been thinking about.

Isn't the guidance you are OK if in close proximity for less than 15 minutes? And also if people are wearing masks then the chances of infection are low?

With us being a family of 4 - a 4 or 6 person gondola's are not probably. Equally something that is 10 minutes with everybody masked up should be OK.

The one's I would be worried about would be one's were they get jammed in - like the Aggy Rouge in Les Arcs. But I would probably just avoid those.
latest report
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
@rayscoops, you really are a "glass is half full of covid" sort of person aren't you?

And when did being sweaty become an infection pathway?
Are you about to contrive a thousand ways to contract it in a gondola now just like you came up with then for how masks were going to spread it?
snow report
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
@adithorp, Laughing just don't lick it.
snow conditions
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
Well I'm going to give it a go when we open from 17th for 2 weeks. The only way up to the glacier is by a 2 stage gondola. Quite lengthy, probably 30 minutes in total. Usual capacity is 20 but I believe that is being halved. I'll avoid the early rush when all the race clubs will be going up. I'll take a look at how it is mid morning and will probably avoid the first weekend.

Once up on the glacier it's all T bars except for a funicular, I'm not sure if that is running.
snow report
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
Scarlet wrote:
@adithorp, Laughing just don't lick it.

Are we still talking about covid? Puzzled
snow report
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
Gondolas / cable cars have a higher risk of airborne tranmission from people coughing / sneezing or even just talking; you can perhaps reduce the risk a little bit with a good face covering.

Chairs / drag lifts are lower risk but are not risk free, even if not sharing. Everyone tends to hold a drag pole in about the same place, and use the handle to pull down a chair safety bar, both of which can act as fomites to pass a virus from one persons's glove to another. From which you can pass it on to your poles, skis, goggles, helmet, piste map etc, where it may survive for say 72 hours.

The hands (gloves?) / face / space advice continues to apply. And if you really want to minimise the risk of picking up a virus, don't go skiing at all!
snow report
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
@ecureuil, fomite transmission is currently considered fairly marginal.

Anyway, I've had it, it was a gift from God, my blood is the vaccine, it wasn't that bad* and I'm immune.

* Onions still don't smell right
snow report
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
adithorp wrote:
@rayscoops, you really are a "glass is half full of covid" sort of person aren't you?

Are you about to contrive a thousand ways to contract it in a gondola now just like you came up with then for how masks were going to spread it?

Nail on head. Just a trolling thread from the master of contrarianism.
ski holidays
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Quote:

the master of contrarianism

Laughing
ski holidays
Claude B wrote:
Well I'm going to give it a go when we open from 17th for 2 weeks. The only way up to the glacier is by a 2 stage gondola. Quite lengthy, probably 30 minutes in total. Usual capacity is 20 but I believe that is being halved. I'll avoid the early rush when all the race clubs will be going up.

if they are halving the capacity you'll probably get up in time to come back down again !
snow report
I used these in the summer. I was fine. All wore masks/sanitised etc. In larger gondolas capacity was much reduced. Queueing was distanced. As someone said above, it’s like the tube. If you are an incredibly risk averse person or in the vulnerable category it may not feel worth the risk to you personally. For me I am happy with the precautions I saw in effect in Swiss resorts in the summer and I’m happy to take the chance of the odd gondola to enjoy a week’s skiing and the outdoors. If I didn’t like any risks then I wouldn’t be a skier at all or do many other things I like to do. Life is about balance.
ski holidays
Aiguille du Midi in Chamonix was running at 60% capacity in May and early June - Since then its been sardines in a can. Still was today on the way up!

I don't think many if any French resorts are actually going to run Telepheriques (Cable cars/Trams) or Telecabines (Gondolas/bubbles) at any sort of reduced capacity this winter.
latest report
Quote:

How does that compare to being at home and, say, sharing a railway carriage for 70 minutes? Or being on a bus for half an hour? Or walking 'round a busy supermarket for 40 minutes? Or meeting-up with other members of the family for lunch in someone's home?

Those places tend to be the same people week in week out though. Meaning there is an element of control and traceability. A gondola you have hundreds of people flying in from all over Europe and then flying back out a week later. It's not hard to see why the gondola is more concerning. There is also the fact that supermarket and train journeys might be essential, whereas a gondola certainly isn't.
snow report
Quote:

How does that compare to being at home and, say, sharing a railway carriage for 70 minutes? Or being on a bus for half an hour? Or walking 'round a busy supermarket for 40 minutes? Or meeting-up with other members of the family for lunch in someone's home?

I wonder how often those buses and railway carriages are being air out between terminals?

It's all about confined indoor space. Gondolas are typically left empty on the return trip. So if it's aired out on the return trip, it may actually be better than trains and buses.

Quote:
walking 'round a busy supermarket for 40 minutes?

I've been able to managed NOT to go to supermarket when they are crowded.

And my shopping time tend to last less than 30 minutes. Having a list in hand before entering cuts down on time wandering about...
ski holidays
I think a 6/8/10 person seated gondola with the windows open is a better bet than my morning/evening train journey.
ski holidays
It would be quite easy to send a cloud of disinfectant into the gondola on its return down the mountain.
snow report
davidof wrote:
Claude B wrote:
Well I'm going to give it a go when we open from 17th for 2 weeks. The only way up to the glacier is by a 2 stage gondola. Quite lengthy, probably 30 minutes in total. Usual capacity is 20 but I believe that is being halved. I'll avoid the early rush when all the race clubs will be going up.

if they are halving the capacity you'll probably get up in time to come back down again !

They did in the summer. In fact they limited the numbers allowed to go up to the glacier. I was told 450 by someone who works up there.
snow conditions
russ_e wrote:
It would be quite easy to send a cloud of disinfectant into the gondola on its return down the mountain.

I have seen exactly this proposed by some of the resorts here (sorry, can't remember which ones). No idea if it will make any difference though, if you don't normally lick the windows.
ski holidays
It might turn out to be the best season ever.

Limited numbers on the slopes and no waiting at the bar to get served Razz
latest report
russ_e wrote:
It might turn out to be the best season ever.

Limited numbers on the slopes and no waiting at the bar to get served Razz

If you don't mind long queue for lifts and to enter bars.

I've just seen this first hand (albeit completely different country and settings). I was camping at a campground. It started the season with 50% capacity but due to high demand, the power that be decided to operate at full capacity. But...

The bathroom and shower facilities are kept at 50% capacity! rolling eyes

Needless to say, there's a queue outside of showers! (less with the loo since people spend a much shorter time in there)

I consider that a preview of the winter to come.

I'll be very carefully watching the winter policy of different resorts. If a mountain was never busy in years past, there's less likely to have problem with capacity. Those would be my preferred places to head to. But if a mountain usually was already quite busy with queues to start with, the requirement to limit lifts to only the same household would reduce uplift capacity. Unless they limit the visitor on busy days, substantially longer queues will likely result! I would avoid those places like the plague (the "plaque of Covid-19" being a reality).

Sure, the slopes would have less crowds. But your wait to get to it may be much longer. Some are willing to accept that trade-off. Adjust your expectation accordingly.
ski holidays
@abc, really good point made

When I flew into Heathrow a few weeks back they had turned off every other e-gate to create social distancing with a helper aka "The Line Master" only allowing 1 person at a time into each of the e-gate queues for social distancing - so on this part Heathrow nailed it.

Now turn and look the other way back into the concourse and the bottleneck is the "The Line Master" who has now formed a huge queue of people piling onto one another with no social distancing and the elevators and lifts feeding the concourse just piling more people into a small space. - Absolutely pointless what Heathrow had done.

Thinking about Funitel Peclet in VT - on a busy day the queue is rammed and backs onto the slope, with capacity reduced if they tried to get social distancing in the queue as well it would probably back all the way up to the top of the magic carpet.

Saalbach and the Zwölferkogelbahn and Reiterkogelbahn are two other gondolas where I have no idea how they will manage the queueing and capacity to make things safe - and I sure this issue presents across the alps
snow report
@extremerob, it's just that kind of mixed implementation that makes the whole thing a joke.

For many people who hadn't even quite got their head around the reality of the pandemic, all they could see is this totally chaotic practice of crowd in one space and social distancing on another. Little wonder they throw up their hands and say the hell with it!

I anticipated this kind of chaos back in June when everything just opening back up. But 3 months later, we're still seeing this sort of random act in every part of our life. It's like we had no central planning from the government. Oh wait, we had NO central planning! Never mind.
snow conditions
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
According to Tirol's plans, in "cable cars" (to be treated as "public transport") at least 1 metre social distancing will be required.
Oh, that'll be fun... rolling eyes

https://planetski.eu/2020/10/09/tirol-unveils-plans-for-a-safe-winter/?fbclid=IwAR0689L7dtnRT5e9j4DaxMsL7JcmbNRAFemYYMYYw0sf2yU0rCPvsj4GaC0
snow report
@Grizzler, this has been discussed on other threads for some time, but gondolas have always been treated as public transport, and masks are to be worn. Do not expect them to run at reduced capacity. Do not expect “social distancing” (urgh) to be maintained or observed.
latest report
@abc, what makes it a joke is when our elected "leaders" do things like this...
https://twitter.com/i/status/1314249961370984448
latest report
@extremerob, am I missing the point? That looks like someone behind a MP on the Labour bench
snow report
@stevew, .
she's using her mask to clean her glasses
snow conditions
extremerob wrote:
@stevew, .
she's using her mask to clean her glasses

Shocked
snow conditions
Yes, but it looks like someone on the Labour bench and therefore not a leader but an aspiring one
ski holidays
@stevew, what a burn, but fair point!
snow report
@Dave of the Marmottes, +1.
Ray lights the touch paper and retreats with anticipation.
ski holidays
@dode, would you take a full gondola? Austria, so it seems, will be running them at full capacity
ski holidays
adithorp wrote:

sweaty from over exertion and breathing heavily, heavy atmosphere and people taking masks off ... it is all connected
snow report
https://snowheads.com/ski-forum/viewtopic.php?t=127047&start=40
snow report

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy