Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Scotland snow reports 2020/21

Poster: A snowHead
Perhaps rather than trying to traverse back out it might be easier to climb back up (crampons and ice axe needed) assuming there is somewhere you aren't risking a cornice falling on you.
snow conditions
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
@Inboard, @charlie.wilkinson, thanks.
snow report
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Cheers for the Cairngorm info denfinella
snow conditions
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
@snowball, I’d be absolutely astounded if you could ski out from back corries at present. I’ve not been near there recently but that would require a much lower usable snow line than exists at Crianlarich or the Cairngorms.

@mountainaddict, loads of parking spaces at Cairngorm Cas yesterday. No issues at all. The busy car parks so far (in the last week or so since freedoms restored in Scotland) are those closer to central belt and useful for popular hillwalking Munros or picnic locations.
ski holidays
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Back to easterlies from Tuesday. Cool with night frosts. April has been a remarkably good month (again) for dry and bright weather. Yet another day of almost wall to wall sunshine. Very pleasant in the light winds despite the low temperature. Yet another day below 20% humidity, preserving the snow.
snow conditions
 You'll need to Register first of course.
@Inboard, yes, I agree, it is probably impossible now, which suggested that instead of trying to return to the front we should climb up. I hope to ski with kitenski and wife on their first day, so if we go to Nevis they may need to borrow crampons.

Last edited by You'll need to Register first of course. on Mon 26-04-21 23:08; edited 3 times in total
snow conditions
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Heading up to Aviemore on Thursday for a few nights as my wife has managed to get a shift working in boots Aviemore. Worth taking the skis with me?
latest report
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
@boabski, yes! if you are ok to tour/walk as per the link posted last week, see these pics

https://www.facebook.com/windy.miller.54
snow report
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
@boabski

We skied Cairngorm and Macdui on Saturday. Lots of snow on the plateau (albeit with some bare patches on some S-facing slopes). Had to walk/ carry skis for 15 mins up to approx funicular mid station/ bottom of gunbarrel before we could start skinning. Alternatively you could walk up windy ridge to ptarmigan avoiding snow most of the way. Descent off Cairngorm towards Coire Raibert was good fun. Cas headwall also super. There is snow forecast this week but doesn’t look like significant amounts. Whether by the end or the week it’s warm enough for nice soft spring snow, or just rattly hardpack, is the big question.

If I were you I’d be taking my kit and deciding once there.
ski holidays
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
Thanks folks.
snow report
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
Does anyone know if Glencoe is currently allowing campervans overnight in the car park?

I think I read it had been limited (or stopped?) due to abuse of facilities in summer 2020...Can't see anything on the website though.
latest report
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
mountainaddict wrote:
Does anyone know if Glencoe is currently allowing campervans overnight in the car park?

I think I read it had been limited (or stopped?) due to abuse of facilities in summer 2020...Can't see anything on the website though.

Technically no because of conditions of the camping license and capacity of onsite facilities with regards covid regulations - both campsite and hobbit houses are at reduced capacity for now and half the main carpark is taken up with a work compound for the cafe. However, the restriction on staying away from home is lifted so you could park up in one of the big layby parking areas on the moor off the main road, though they may well be busy this coming weekend!

A small number of vans with skiers in them probably won't be an issue to the resort, but the police might ask people to move if they are not on an official hook up pitch at the ski area. Better news is that all the toilets and showers are currently available again, along with the temporary base cafe.
snow conditions
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
Staying cold well into May and light snowfall possible in the Cairngorms over at least the next week so whatever is skiable now should still be skiable into May.
ski holidays
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
@mountainaddict, This is the information Glencoe put on their Facebook page for accommodation including campervans, didn't see an update on their website.
On the 26th April 2021 the accommodation at Glencoe Mountain Resort will re-open. Onsite are 16 Microlodges, 4 campervan hook-ups and space for 15 tents (normally 20 but we have reduced the camping capacity due to Covid).
Our accommodation was very busy last summer and we expect the same again this summer so please book soon to avoid disappointment.
As per last year we are only able to accept camper vans in our official bays. We are however this year offering a service between 8am and 8pm for campervans to fill up with water and dispose of waste. A key for the waste disposal point will be available from the cafe for £5.
https://www.glencoemountain.co.uk/accommodation/
snow conditions
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Anyone know how long it takes to walk to the snowline then skin up to the summit after taking the Glencoe access lift?
ski holidays
About 600 meters fairly flat to snow line (patchy cover), then double that to the summit (excluding any zigzags or indirect route) with 380m vertical , of which you would now probably repeat about the top two thirds. Not sure of time.
snow report
Quote:
Anyone know how long it takes to walk to the snowline then skin up to the summit after taking the Glencoe access lift?
Looking at the webcams, about 20 mins to the snow (bottom of The Wall-ish? ... ) About 300m vertical to the top from there - so up to an hour's skinning.
latest report
Thanks for the responses re the Glencoe campervan situation.
snow report
It's looking unseasonably cold on the recent GFS forecast ensembles, there won't be much snow loss over the next week or two and in the East probably a gain at higher levels if that is how the weather pans out.
snow conditions
I skied Glencoe today. Easy walk to the snowline from the top of the access chair which was running. I did 3 Laps finishing with the Spring run. Lovely.
ski holidays
Fresh snow at Cairngorm

latest report
More heavy snow showers today in the Northern Cairngorms leaving the hills looking more like winter than the end of April!

snow report
Our first visit to Scotland today since covid - and it was well worth the wait Very Happy .

Conditions were amazing for our early evening ski tour at Cairngorm. Back at the car at 8pm after fresh tracks all the way from below Cairngorm summit (we turned back as the weather closed in...) to the bottom of the White Lady.

Absolutely amazing conditions for May - winter cover and fresh tracks Very Happy

Up here for 2 more days' ski touring - weather permitting...

ski holidays
Great stuff MA. Should be more snow there today and tomorrow and staying cold with snow showers right through the week. Will be good to salvage some skiing this season particularly on ‘home turf’. Cool
latest report
@mountainaddict, aggh!! Had to cancel my trip due to daughters college moving her first A level exam to Friday!!
latest report
Cheers Peter S. Yes, absolutely over the moon to get up to Scotland after what we've all endured. Even better to find conditions as they are at present.

Sorry to hear that @kitenski Confused Best look away from today's pics... wink - an epic day of heavy snow showers, lovely snow....and an hour of horrific balling up of the skins for our last hour of ascent. Could barely lift the skis... Shocked

ski holidays
Some brave souls atop Glencoe this morning!! Assuming the really bad weather hasn't come in yet!

Looks like I may have a chance for a ski now with permission to come up Thursday night, do a days touring and drive back Fri night!

snow report
Fingers crossed for you Kite.
ski holidays
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
kitenski wrote:
Some brave souls atop Glencoe this morning!! Assuming the really bad weather hasn't come in yet!

Looks like I may have a chance for a ski now with permission to come up Thursday night, do a days touring and drive back Fri night!

That was Mrs B and me, right and 2nd right! Very Happy Very Happy It was indeed a shocker today. Cold, windy, fog, snowing and frozen, icy, rutted runs. Survival skiing but it was still great to be out on a mountain on 2 planks! We really appreciate how lucky we are.

It was our 4th day in a row at Glencoe and we are loving it! The 3 previous days were great, with beautiful soft snow in the late afternoon. We are on an 18 day Highlands tour (for skiing, biking and hiking) in our newly-finished campervan and had planned only 2 or 3 days skiing. It takes 70 to 90 minutes to hike and skin up but it has been so good that we will be back for more tomorrow; and we are then considering skitouring at Nevis Range and Cairngorm wink

It has snowed (on the mountain) all afternoon at Glencoe and the snowline is now halfway down the access chair Very Happy . We will let it (hopefully) soften up in the morning, then head up at 12ish. £13 return for the access chair is well worth it, even for 1 run. Even a couple of hours up the mountain today was time well spent, though we are hoping to spend more time up there tomorrow.

Good luck Kitenski. I hope you have a great trip!
snow report
https://www.cairngormmountain.co.uk/weather-webcams/live-webcams/
Looks like a decent fall at Cairngorm. Top bowl should have a lot of new snow?
latest report
@Peter S, it’s good they’ve fixed the webcams!! Would be amazing if we could skin up from the car park on Friday!!!
snow report
Quote:
Would be amazing if we could skin up from the car park on Friday!!!
Camped at Aberfeldy (Perthshire) on the way home last night.

According to my altimeter, we were at about 200m above sea level. After torrential rain from about 5.30pm yesterday, the snow line looked only 2 or 300m above the town this morning. It was only 6C when we left at 11.00am today.

The snow is just about visible on the distant hills in this pic, taken on the lovely Birks of Aberfeldy gorge walk.

ski holidays
Wonder when filmed?

http://youtube.com/v/WzPeuoCoxMA
snow report
https://www.cairngormmountain.co.uk/weather-webcams/live-webcams/

More heavy snow at Cairngorm. Cover improving Cool
latest report
I'm off late afternoon to Aviemore, days touring with these guys then drive back Fri! https://www.british-backcountry.co.uk/ski-touring

For those who have been up recently, what layers have you worn? I always find Scottish/English skiing feels colder than the alps, perhaps due to it being more damp/humid so chucking quite a few layers in the bag!!
ski holidays
https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-scotland-highlands-islands-57007426
Decent late season fall of snow.
http://m.webcam-hd.com/ski-scotland/the-lecht
snow conditions
kitenski wrote:
I'm off late afternoon to Aviemore, days touring with these guys then drive back Fri! https://www.british-backcountry.co.uk/ski-touring

For those who have been up recently, what layers have you worn? I always find Scottish/English skiing feels colder than the alps, perhaps due to it being more damp/humid so chucking quite a few layers in the bag!!

We have done 6 days in a row, skitouring at Glencoe and it has been stunning. We most certainly had the proverbial 4 seasons yesterday - skinning up twice in a blizzard/whiteout; and 2 powder descents of the Spring Run. Incredible! And the traverse to the top of the run (from the Main Basin T-bar) is now snow covered, after being massive rocks 2 days ago Very Happy . We spoke to the owner, who said that there is a further metre of snow on the way at the weekend! Very Happy

We are giving Nevis Range a go tomorrow, as long as the decent forecast proves correct. Fingers crossed!

In answer to your clothing question... I skinned up in only a long sleeve shirt at the end of last week, but upped it to 2 layers (base layer under my shirt) yesterday when it was a lot colder. And the day before, it was those 2 layers plus a down jacket. So it all depends, really. The wind has been the factor that led to the extra layering for me.

I hope you have a great trip!
ski holidays
@mountainaddict,

Great photos! Not bad for May, eh? Very Happy
snow report
Quote:
Great photos! Not bad for May, eh?
Yep - mustn't grumble Very Happy
snow report
How accessible is it at the moment? Is there much competition for tracks / lift queues? Assuming any lifts in fact open

Wondering if it's possible to Travel over from Northern ireland, is that possible and or legal?
latest report

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy