Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Scotland snow reports 2020/21

Poster: A snowHead
Yes I’ve heard Mick Fowler speak about that !

Sounds as though there may be some skiing available to locals from the 2nd April.
snow report
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
What’s been announced re ski centres??
latest report
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
I couldn't see anything definitive? 2nd April is just the end of the 'stay at home' rule I think. Things opening up in stages after that, and no change to the council boundary travel rules until the 26th unfortunately.
ski holidays
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
Quote:
I couldn't see anything definitive? 2nd April is just the end of the 'stay at home' rule I think
Looks like Scotland could be good to go from 26th April - according to BBC News Very Happy

latest report
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
mountainaddict wrote:
Quote:
I couldn't see anything definitive? 2nd April is just the end of the 'stay at home' rule I think
Looks like Scotland could be good to go from 26th April - according to BBC News Very Happy

Never mind that.

Greggs are opening more shops! Very Happy Very Happy
snow conditions
 You'll need to Register first of course.
Over on Winterhighland they think 5 th April may be the re start of the ski season in Scotland, so about a week later than south of the border.
latest report
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Quote:
Over on Winterhighland they think 5th April may be the re start of the ski season in Scotland, so about a week later than south of the border
It's still not looking very clear when travel into Scotland (from England) will be permitted... Puzzled And no mention (as far as I can see) of overnight stays being permitted...
ski holidays
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
mountainaddict wrote:
Quote:
Over on Winterhighland they think 5th April may be the re start of the ski season in Scotland, so about a week later than south of the border
It's still not looking very clear when travel into Scotland (from England) will be permitted... Puzzled And no mention (as far as I can see) of overnight stays being permitted...

They are saying all restrictions on travel in and out of Scotland will be lifted on 23rd April.
ski holidays
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
Probably just in time to miss the last weekend of the season Sad
ski holidays
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
26th at earliest unfortunately

https://snowsportscotland.org/snowsport-scotland-covid-19-scottish-government-update/
snow conditions
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
Quote:
Probably just in time to miss the last weekend of the season
More positive than it might have been - particularly for ski tourers. I was thinking the famous Midsummer Slide could be in doubt the way things have been going... rolling eyes
snow report
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
http://forum.winterhighland.info/read.php?2,179849

Some analysis here
snow report
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
Looking like some significant snowfalls possible for the West Highland mountains from mid-week through into early next weekend with a cool and unsettled period, accompanied by strong to gale force and at times severe gales from the SW quadrant which should put snow into the right places to really top up the base.
latest report
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
I don't think I can recall so much snow hitting the Scottish resorts and then disappearing so quickly as this year.
snow report
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Showers coming through on the radar are falling as snow to plateau level at Glencoe and below top of the Gondola at Nevis Range this evening. Potentially a metre plus of snow and high winds in the West over the next 7 days, but a close run thing between a blizzard and a downpour for a period on Sunday as an occluding warm sector pushes through with the point of occlusion near the Western ski areas on current projections!
snow report
More snow today
http://www.winterhighland.info/cams/glencoe/
snow conditions
Dump city at Glencoe over the last 48 hrs. Unfortunately heavy rain is forecast to all levels on Monday and Tuesday before April dawns cooler.
snow report
Yes, Glencoe shows snow down to the carpark.
The lucky guy skiing on the Spring run this morning looks to be with his dog.
latest report
Brian Gaze @ TWO predicting some cold weather over Easter week, with good potential for significant snow over the Scottish mountains

http://youtube.com/v/DvrqDqZlYAs
snow report
Does anyone know what the latest situation is on the Scottish resorts being allowed to open?
Thanks (and apols if covered elsewhere).
snow report
No change at present.
ski holidays
@Neil Neige, i.e. 26th April at least for local residents. Probably also for the rest of the Scottish mainland population, and possibly the rest of the UK, depending on travel restrictions at that time.

My crystal ball says it'll only be Glencoe (good for them) that opens. Glenshee and the Lecht will likely have insufficient snow, Nevis will probably be focusing on their summer season, and Cairngorm are already scraping snow off some of their runs.
ski holidays
The distress and frustration continue Confused What a 12 months - may as well be a photo from Mars.

Happy easter indeed Sad

snow report
denfinella wrote:
@Neil Neige, i.e. 26th April at least for local residents. Probably also for the rest of the Scottish mainland population, and possibly the rest of the UK, depending on travel restrictions at that time.

My crystal ball says it'll only be Glencoe (good for them) that opens. Glenshee and the Lecht will likely have insufficient snow, Nevis will probably be focusing on their summer season, and Cairngorm are already scraping snow off some of their runs.

Thanks - would be super-impressed if Glen Coe do manage to open. Best of luck to them!
snow conditions
https://www.mwis.org.uk/forecasts/videos
snow conditions
Quote:
Would be super-impressed if Glen Coe do manage to open. Best of luck to them!
Snow cover at The Coe is looking quite end of season-like now...The usual rocky outcrops appearing towards the top of the Main Basin and The Spring Run narrowing where it turns (skier's) left at the bottom...
snow report
Good lower-slopes cover at Cairngorm for the time of year. Restrictions-relaxation permitting, we may yet get some May ski touring in Scotland...

snow report
April is looking like a cool month at the moment with bits and pieces of snow. Only very Slowly warming up by the end according the GEFS model at the moment.

The snow is like concrete right now in the super dry super clean super sunny cold artic air so that will help it’s survival. At least the weather is being kind to us at the moment Cool
ski holidays
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
@Peter S,

Sounds super! Very Happy Very Happy

Fingers crossed for May!
ski holidays
Quote:
Fingers crossed for May!
If not the end of April wink
snow report
Ooooft...........

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-scotland-north-east-orkney-shetland-56661836
latest report

Fantastically clear day in Cool
ski holidays
upper mtn looks very skiable Sad
ski holidays
Now read that Scotland is looking to return to the system of 'Levels' and restrictions on 26.4.21 - and, by definition, not opening the border to the Sassenachs on that date rolling eyes

It just goes from bad to worse... Confused
snow conditions
mountainaddict wrote:
Now read that Scotland is looking to return to the system of 'Levels' and restrictions on 26.4.21 - and, by definition, not opening the border to the Sassenachs on that date rolling eyes

It just goes from bad to worse... Confused

Absolutely shocking news! Sad Sad Scotland skitouring was my only glimmer of hope amidst this awful "ski season."
snow conditions
@mountainaddict, re. the levels system: that's always been the case, with the expectation that Scotland will move to level 3 on April 26th.

Travel rules within the "new" levels system haven't been announced yet - just the suggestion that travel *may* be possible within mainland Scotland from the 26th, and that the border may open on or soon after that date, depending on case rates etc.

What is your source suggesting that "by definition" the border will be shut?
latest report
The current understanding is that there will not be a restriction on travel between Level 3 local authorities from 6pm on Fri 23rd April, if the whole mainland moves to level 3 in one go on Monday 26th then there will unrestricted travel within mainland Scotland. However should any areas remain in level 4, then the current level 4 travels rules would continue to apply to these local authorities. What may change depending on discussions with the island authorities is the restriction on travel from level 3 into 0-2 areas.

That point could be a complication, if Highland returns to level 1 (as it was before boxing day and currently meets the new thresholds for) on 26th April, but most of the rest of mainland Scotland went to level 3, as things currently stand then only Highland and any other level 0,1 or 2 local authority (plus Argyll & Bute irrespective of A&B level) residents could visit Glencoe legally!

HM Government is not returning England to the tiers, so that may be a negative influence on whether travel restrictions from the CTA are lifted on 26th April if there are still some significantly above average infection rates in specific local areas. The most significant threshold for the level system here has been revised due to the increased transmissibility of currently dominant strains in the UK, so the level thresholds are significantly tighter than pre Christmas:

>150 cases per 100k - LEVEL 4
>50 cases per 100k - LEVEL 3
>20 cases per 100k - LEVEL 2
<20 cases per 100k - LEVEL 1
near 0 cases per 100k - LEVEL 0

If we could have swapped the snow and weather conditions of the 21 and 20 season's about we'd have got away with pretty decent seasons despite the lockdowns! rolling eyes
latest report
Quote:
What is your source suggesting that "by definition" the border will be shut?
That was just my own interpretation based on the fact that (as you state yourself) travel may be possible within mainland Scotland from the 26.4.21. I took that to mean that while you may be able to travel about if you live in Scotland, you won't be able to get in from England.

This differs from the position of 16.3.21 - see screenshot I posted then - when the BBC was reporting that travel in and out of Scotland was a distinct possibility from 26.4.21.
snow report

Another good spring morning.......that we’ve missed Sad
snow report
@mountainaddict, fair enough. FWIW, I still think travel in and out of Scotland is a distinct possibility from the 26th. I think it would be hard to justify keeping the border restrictions while England has a lower average case rate than Scotland (as is currently the case) and few worrying hotspots.
latest report

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy