Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Scotland snow reports 2020/21

Poster: A snowHead
@snowheid, Should have guessed that you would have been looking, I had been wondering why the Spittal one wasn't updating, I should have copied a shot from last night looking north as it was a really good view of the waves of snow across the road.
snow report
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Bigtipper wrote:
Whilst there is lots of snow, the weather is not very nice for skiing at the moment. So I probably would not have been skiing yet in a normal year, I would be waiting for low wind, clear skies, as well as lots of snow. Lets hope some limited skiing occurs in March, but I will not be vaccinated by then. (not clinicially vulnerable, nor old enough)

Maybe the lifts will open only for those who have been vaccinated?

Excellent idea; I get mine on Thursday!
ski holidays
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
@Bigtipper,

There has been some brilliant days in Scotland this year so far weather and snow wise. Weather has only turned last week really.
Even had some good turns on your local Ben Ledi.
There is stacks of snow up at Glen Coe. So fingers crossed the restrictions are lifted and some can enjoy skiing there again and you can get some good sunny spring skiing in.
ski holidays
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
It's not fair ....

http://youtube.com/v/uD5HyfOGe3E
latest report
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
McKenzie wrote:

Maybe the lifts will open only for those who have been vaccinated?

It wouldn't be worth opening only for the vaccinated. April/May are probably barely worth it anyway.
How late would opening be worth it for the lift companies (also given staffing)? The French have already decided it won't be worth opening the lifts this season, it seems.

Obviously I hope they will open, even if the Sassenachs (including me) are unwelcome. However, I had my jab 3 weeks ago, so I'm still hoping.
ski holidays
 You'll need to Register first of course.
[quote="larry1950"]@snowheid, Should have guessed that you would have been looking, I had been wondering why the Spittal one wasn't updating, I should have copied a shot from last night looking north as

The Braemar side webcam is still up and conditions will be very similar. Also they do not open the snow gates until both sides are clear so can still have real time updates from just Braemar cam.
BTW, woke up to 5 inches of perfect champagne powder lying in Perth this morning Very Happy . Forecast for Glenshee on Wednesday looks stonking for anyone else able to get there Toofy Grin
ski holidays
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Quote:

April/May are probably barely worth it anyway.

Some of the best late season conditions in these months, if you're willing to earn your turns Toofy Grin
Hopefully with this amount of snow it should last...Just need Nicola to lift travel restrictions
snow report
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
geoffers wrote:
Quote:

April/May are probably barely worth it anyway.

Some of the best late season conditions in these months, if you're willing to earn your turns Toofy Grin
Hopefully with this amount of snow it should last...Just need Nicola to lift travel restrictions

I was talking (and asking about) lift companies willingness to open lifts. Any idea?
Obviously April, and often May, are great for skiing, but being a bit ancient and unfit I was hoping to get some of the uplift mechanised, otherwise it might just be one ascent per day. Which would still be a lot better than nothing, but would it be worth driving up from London and hiring a cottage...

Last edited by After all it is free Go on u know u want to! on Mon 8-02-21 17:09; edited 1 time in total
snow report
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
@snowball, Glencoe, Nevis and 'Gorm have run lifts into May previously......but given how crazy this year has been I wouldn't like to predict anything!!
snow report
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
Yes, I have skied at the end of May at Glencoe and Cairngorm, but that was lifts being left open. The French don't think it would be worth first opening then (or even in March), so I was wondering if Scottish economics would be different.
snow report
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
Glencoe always seem keen to open when they can. That's where my money would be.
latest report
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
Snow is nice and fluffy where I am (last night and tonight snow fall), and weather is going to be very cold so it is unlikely to turn wet and slushy before the sun comes on Wednesday. I might sterilise my water bag soon, as this could be a good day. Some x country skiing is possible on the cycle path, which I ran along today. (national cycle route 7)
latest report
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
@denfinella,

As soon as allowed Glencoe will be open. I was up there today, they haven’t stopped working away at preparing the slopes, up tracks and maintenance.

Always go the full distance to provide skiing. Cool
latest report
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
sparkzter wrote:
@denfinella,

As soon as allowed Glencoe will be open. I was up there today, they haven’t stopped working away at preparing the slopes, up tracks and maintenance.

Always go the full distance to provide skiing. Cool

Any work done in the area where the fire happened?
latest report
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
http://www.mountainsafety.co.uk/Mountain-Hypothermia-Symptoms-at-a-Glance.aspx

Useful link in case you meet anyone on the hills who is incoherent, and stripping their clothes off!
latest report
Useful informative resource on hypothermia here: http://www.everythingoutdoors.co.uk/hypothermia-facts-causes-treatment/

Aimed at fell runners but relevant to all outdoor sports.
snow report
There must be some big clandestine adventures going on in the shadows. Strava most definitely turned off. Toofy Grin
ski holidays
@GreenDay, the site has been totally cleared.
Temporary cafe is ready to go again in the form of portacabins when allowed. All being well they hope to start the new base building this year. However I’m sure it’ll be pushed back with everything that’s going on.
snow conditions
sparkzter wrote:
@GreenDay, the site has been totally cleared.
Temporary cafe is ready to go again in the form of portacabins when allowed. All being well they hope to start the new base building this year. However I’m sure it’ll be pushed back with everything that’s going on.

I really hope they get some cash thru the door this season to help (same with all the resorts apart from Cairngorm, I dislike the management there)

I loved that cafe - couple years back at the end of the season I sat at the bottom having a coffee in the sun (in my ski gear) and got chatting to a group of dutch guys in shorts and t-shirts having a beer break during their West Highland trip.

Was roasting at the bottom and they couldnt believe I had been skiing a few minutes earlier Very Happy
snow report

http://youtube.com/v/FpB82F0i8Ac
latest report
Quote:
same with all the resorts apart from Cairngorm, I dislike the management there
Some nice staff there - I hope the place does OK too. And still a great place to ski/ski tour. Would hate to see it close for good.
ski holidays
Some skiers and snowboarders on Ben Ledi today. However, it was nasty and windy at the top. Lower down it was nicer. There is a good base now, of crusty snow all the way down to the car park. Another snow fall and it will be dust on crust. The dirt roads lower down can be good to ski on when it is like this.

I just walked up, had a sandwich at the top with a couple of crows (who were suspiciously friendly), took their pictures and walked down. Fingers were numb when I took my gloves off to eat sandwich. My water tank pipe was frozen at the end, and I had to put it under my jacket to warm it up.

My calves ached again, so I foam rolled them, stretched them, had a bath, and turned the heating up. Currently thinking about where to post the pictures of the crows in the snow.
snow report
https://www.facebook.com/111429118884878/posts/4287761507918264/?d=n
ski holidays
Well BBC reporting -22.9 in Braemar overnight, anyone lucky enough to be able to get out should find fabulous snow conditions. No doubt see the pics later this evening.........
ski holidays
I see from Sunday all this snow is going to melt so really no Scottish skiing this year?
snow conditions
Ram80 wrote:
I see from Sunday all this snow is going to melt so really no Scottish skiing this year?

Why would a return to normal temperature mean all the snow will be gone ?

There may not be any lift served skiing this season, but thats unlikely to be due to lack of snow.
latest report
Roguevfr wrote:
Ram80 wrote:

Why would a return to normal temperature mean all the snow will be gone ?

There may not be any lift served skiing this season, but thats unlikely to be due to lack of snow.

I'm out of touch, so you think it will stay even if minimum temp for next 7 days is 2 degrees?
ski holidays
There's approximately a metre of lying snow in Braemar village at the moment and it was -22 last night.
The 10 day forecast for Braemar shows a maximum of 3deg . Braemar is at about 330m elevation, Glenshee is at 650m elevation at the base station. I don't think the snow is going anywhere.
snow conditions
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.

http://youtube.com/v/PkGbpjkC2-I

Conditions today in the Pentlands were awesome. Deep, fluffy powder.
latest report
Awesome indeed
latest report
Definately worth the hike up the hill.

More skiers going up Ben Ledi today. Most are not bothering with helmets though!
snow conditions
@Joy Zipper, that looks annoyingly good for those of us who could and can't travel!!
latest report

Well the snow gates still closed at the Spittal (think the police just wanted to keep people off the mountain today as the road was well cleared and gritted) so did a wee tour up Ben Gulebin and Creag an Bheithe. Very icy and crusted powder on ascent (it was -15.5 when I left the car I suppose) but no wind. The red deer were kind enough to make me a skin track which helped. Skied down from the summit to the col on breakable crust with the odd powder patch, then the dreamy part of the day lapping perfect powder on west side of Bheithe. Started to cloud over after my play-time so headed down track to A93 and short walk back to car. Will be going out again tomorrow but forecast snow in morning and windier so more of a challenge no doubt. Very Happy
snow conditions
Couple of pics of Ben Wyvis. No skiing but why not?

https://i.ibb.co/jz3rBfQ/PXL-20210211-144345673.jpg

https://i.ibb.co/640m1Rz/PXL-20210211-144315099.jpg
ski holidays
@Ram80, now if I lived there I would have to ski that! Looks fabulous.
ski holidays
snowball wrote:

It's like an iced cake. I may see how far I can walk up it tomorrow, the access path is in good shape, nice crunchy snow but I assume there will be no path up the mountain.
snow report
Awesome BraemarMedia video posted today - looks more like Austria on a good day! Toofy Grin

http://youtube.com/v/Vnbx5VH4XFY
latest report
Ram80 wrote:
snowball wrote:

It's like an iced cake. I may see how far I can walk up it tomorrow, the access path is in good shape, nice crunchy snow but I assume there will be no path up the mountain.

No skins and touring bindings?
ski holidays
Regarding late season I have been told in the past that the Glenshee lift company is contracted to return the hill to landowner by a specified date so cannot run later even if there is snow not sure if still the case
latest report
snowball wrote:
Ram80 wrote:
snowball wrote:

No skins and touring bindings?

Nope, I was up there again today, an 80 year old with Alzheimer's and a couple of touring skiers were attempting it.

Well I walked about 30mins up the path and the snow starting getting deep so I went back but the older guys and skiers passed me and said they were going to see how far up the mountain they could go. I was well impressed. My fitness (cardio) is letting me down but I'm going to have another go on Sunday I think, maybe there's a path and I missed it but it seems the used path stops at a certain point after that it gets hard going, snow up to knees, how do you tackle that, would snow shoes make the difference?
snow conditions

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy