Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Scotland snow reports 2020/21

Poster: A snowHead
Exceptional weather and snow cover today in the Northern Cairngorms, Glen Feshie hills today.

ski holidays
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
What a Sight! Thanks for the picture. snowHead
latest report
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Sigh Crying or Very sad
snow conditions
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
Thanks to@charlie.wilkinson, for another fab picture. It strikes me the informed highland skiers chose Glen Feshie instead of the trade route up to Cairngorm.
There are additional pictures on British back country showing untracked mountain sides (above Glen Feshie)
ski holidays
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
@Rogerdodger, thanks! This photo is actually taken from Sgoran Dubh Mor looking towards Braeriach after climbing up from Glen Feshie.

Glen Feshie certainly seemed popular with locals yesterday and was well rewarded. Cairngorm is less appealing at the moment with the snow gates closed at Glenmore.
latest report
 You'll need to Register first of course.
I drove a couple of miles across southern Edinburgh this morning and saw multiple skiers walking up the pavements towards the Pentlands with skis strapped to their backs - around Dreghorn and also at Colinton. Wowsers, not often you see that in the capital!

Bitterly cold last night - Edinburgh got to -9C and parts of the southern uplands -18C...
ski holidays
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
@denfinella, I was one of them on Friday the 8th, it was kinda out of desperation as we cant travel to the Cairngorms or out to the Alps.

However it was great day out and felt very Alpine.

snow report
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
@interpaul, lovely pics. We made it up today - south face of west kip was fab!
latest report
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
@Inboard, You can see the south face of West Kip in my first pic, it was well skied so we went elsewhere. It does look a good descent though Very Happy
latest report
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
I was up touring for sunrise this AM in the Pentlands. Some nice short gully runs of pow pow - genuinely good snow ! Made sunrise on Capelaw and took coffee on Black Hill which had waist deep sections. Quite funny walking back down at 10 to home (Colinton)
ski holidays
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
Feel very jealous.

While I am about 15 mins drive from hitting the pentlands, I shouldnt really do touring / off piste due to my metal hip (and now isnt the time to place more pressure on hospitals with a self induced dislocation).

Fantastic pictures / stories though, keep them coming so I can live vicariously through them !!
snow conditions
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
@GreenDay, interesting, whilst I’m not in the market for touring at the moment, there not being any easily accessible hill from home (and all the local snow has melted this morning). Having had a shattered femur repaired and full hip replacement in autumn 2019, my surgeon told me in October that there was no reason I should not resume off piste skiing and touring. Having said that I think I bound to be more nervous when it actually comes to it.
latest report
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
Ski lots wrote:
@GreenDay, interesting, whilst I’m not in the market for touring at the moment, there not being any easily accessible hill from home (and all the local snow has melted this morning). Having had a shattered femur repaired and full hip replacement in autumn 2019, my surgeon told me in October that there was no reason I should not resume off piste skiing and touring. Having said that I think I bound to be more nervous when it actually comes to it.

Hope the rehab is going ok.

To clarify, mine told me that I could do exactly what I wanted, but that if I resumed high impact activities (I ran and played squash as well as cycling, skiing etc) then the likelihood of an early revision increased. I canned the squash and running for that reason.

He was a skiier so answered my next question before I got to it - he said that if it was him, he would avoid moguls and off piste because if you hit a rock, a dislocation in an implanted hip was bad news. I got mine done in 2011 at the age of 43, so I had many (hopefully !) years of physical activity ahead so much of what I do is - to an extent - self policing.
latest report
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
@GreenDay, interesting indeed. My was done at 60, I had already had a resurfacing 4 years earlier, but had a largely unrelated accident. Interestingly I returned to skiing (including off-piste and eventually touring after the resurfacing, with no ill effect, although the first fall was a moment of truth). I have sold my motorbike on the basis that the benefits did not outweigh the risks, but I do not feel the same about skiing.

I’ve always been struck about the different medical opinions, but after all both the medics and the patients are all different.

Good luck.
snow report
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Wow! Great pics interpaul - looks fantastic.
snow conditions
interpaul wrote:
@Inboard, You can see the south face of West Kip in my first pic, it was well skied so we went elsewhere.

Choosing another hill in the Pentlands because your first choice is tracked out... we live in strange times! Toofy Grin
ski holidays
https://www.theguardian.com/uk-news/gallery/2021/jan/11/snow-clad-hills-overlooking-edinburgh-in-lockdown-in-pictures
latest report
This is just Hell - so I feel like that's me done. No wonder people are suffering mental health issues... Confused

Dummy well and truly spat out and all toys chucked out of the pram....Planning on checking no more cams, or snow reports (home or abroad) until we can actually move the car off the drive and go somewhere.

Now thinking the ski come back could be autumn glacier skiing at best...
ski holidays
Heavy snow at Glenshee. Snow gates closed tonight
http://localapps.pkc.gov.uk/RoadsCameraImages/default.aspx?CameraImage=8781_cam1.jpg
snow report
mountainaddict wrote:
This is just Hell - so I feel like that's me done. No wonder people are suffering mental health issues... Confused

Dummy well and truly spat out and all toys chucked out of the pram....Planning on checking no more cams, or snow reports (home or abroad) until we can actually move the car off the drive and go somewhere.

Now thinking the ski come back could be autumn glacier skiing at best...

I'd avoid Facebook today then, especially the St Anton groups.
snow conditions
Quote:
I'd avoid Facebook today then, especially the St Anton groups
Easy peasy - I'm not on it wink
latest report
GFS ensemble mean persistently below average and we look to be moving into a cool/cold unsettled pattern with a polar trough digging down across or near the British Isles. Detail will chop and change, but there is certainly the potential for some places to get a pasting over the coming week to 10 days, some of the operational runs of various models are posting snow totals in the 1-2m range, some are showing the West getting the most others the NE Cairngorms depending on where has the onshore wind.
ski holidays
http://m.webcam-hd.com/ski-scotland/the-lecht-up

http://m.webcam-hd.com/ski-scotland/glenshee

Lecht and Glenshee look amazing.
ski holidays
So feel for the Scottish ski industry - particularly after the awful 2019 season

Let's just hope for some vaccines and a good late season
ski holidays
Snow down to Loch Morlich
https://www.lochmorlich.com/webcam
ski holidays
Heavy snow today at Glencoe which carnt be far off full condition ? And more snow later this week possible at Glenshee. Potentially very cold by the end of the week.
latest report
Looks like Glenshee got snowbombed last night, fences are almost topped out ! Loads of wet snow in Pentlands. A solid foot where i was this AM, still snowing now and forecast to snow later as well.
ski holidays
Great coverage......inevitably
http://www.winterhighland.info/cams/glencoe/
snow report
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
https://www.edinburghlive.co.uk/news/edinburgh-news/urgent-avalanche-warning-pentland-hills-19675074

High avalanche risk in the Pentlands Shocked
snow report
@Peter S, seen a few wet slabs near my parents in the hills of the Tweed Valley over the years.
ski holidays
Gilberts Fridge wrote:
@Peter S, seen a few wet slabs ...in....my....Tweeds.......over the years.

Shocked
ski holidays
Just came across this for more wistful web cam watching!

http://www.snowgatecameras.co.uk/
ski holidays
@Mosha Marc, couldn't possibly comment.
latest report
Mosha Marc wrote:
Gilberts Fridge wrote:
@Peter S, seen a few wet slabs ...in....my....Tweeds.......over the years.

Shocked

I've seen a few wet slabs (of snow) on the outside of my tweeds, but never on the inside I'm pleased to say. Madeye-Smiley
ski holidays
@Alastair Pink, I've seen the photo's. Very dapper. snowHead
latest report

took this today. View of Angus Hills. Behind them lies Glenshee but this is as close as I can get to them, tragic. Crying or Very sad
ski holidays
Peter S wrote:
https://www.edinburghlive.co.uk/news/edinburgh-news/urgent-avalanche-warning-pentland-hills-19675074

High avalanche risk in the Pentlands Shocked

Crown wall is reported to be 1.5 metres deep! Shocked
ski holidays
Snow even lying at Oban this morning, just above sea level. Not common.
Must be nice on the hill? Sad
ski holidays
Yep. And still another week of January left.

http://m.webcam-hd.com/ski-scotland/glenshee

http://www.winterhighland.info/cams/glencoe/

http://m.webcam-hd.com/ski-scotland/the-lecht-up

https://www.cairngormmountain.co.uk/weather-webcams/live-webcams/
snow report
Looking good! Have never skied in Scotland before- living in the south of England have always travelled to Alps or Pyrenees but with a week off in end Feb and early April there may be a window if the borders open by then....If not, think of this as testing the waters for 2022!

As a proficient skier up to Alpine black runs and easy-moderate off piste resident in the south west of the UK where would you guys recommend as a 'starter' if there was a possibility? Assuming flights are almost of of the question would it be a long drive up the west coast to Glencoe/Nevis Range? Or heading more easterly to Glenshee? Which areas have the better range of accommodation nearby and are snow chains commonly required to access these resorts?
snow conditions

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy