Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

100-110mm All-mountain skis?

Poster: A snowHead
If covid allows it, I will be skiing in France all of the next season... Serre Chevalier and La grave in occasions (hopefully).

I am looking for a new skis...God knows what conditions are going to be this year, But most likely I will be seeing all conditions. That been said I am looking within the all-mountain category.
I would consider myself an intermediate skier, looking forward to improve my freeride skills, as well as my agility. I am pretty good at carving fast, on piste, etc.... however, I struggle the moment I got into moguls, glades, etc.
I did a whole season in Canada with some Line's 92 underfoot, obviously there where not ideal in deep days, But they where solid, fast and secure.

I did ski the Souls 7 a few occasions and I got to say, that I loved them, I felt like a better skier right away haha, maybe just because it was my first time ever skiing +100mm on lose snow? I don't have any other reference on + 100mm skies sadly, so Soul 7 are kind of my first choice, even tho they get a lot of hate in forums. Am I missing something?

My options are SALOMON QST 106, Atomic Bent Chetler 100 , SOUL 7s , Black Crowns Atris , Head kore 5 , MOVEMENT BG 106....thoughts?

So I want something light, maneuverable, but good at speed on piste, good flotation but with some carving capabilities? does that even exist?

Cheers.
latest report
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Every ski will be a compromise. The Soul 7’s are quite flexible which makes them easier to ski in soft snow and bend between moguls (despite their width) but the attributes will work against them going fast on piste or through chop. Not a bad compromise if you want to focus on your off piste skiing
snow report
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Charlieehr wrote:

My options are SALOMON QST 106, Atomic Bent Chetler 100 , SOUL 7s , Black Crowns Atris , Head kore 5 , MOVEMENT BG 106....thoughts?

Suspect you’ll find fans for all those skis, bar maybe the Movements which are a bit rarer. I thought the Atris were a bit dull but they get a lot of love here from good skiers. Friend has the Bent Chetler 120´s which he likes and are an easy ski. Blister rave about the Salomon QST’s, Soul 7´s have been a huge success but used to be quite soft. One ski you might want to add is the Kaestle FX95 or 96 if you can get your hands on some.
snow report
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
Skied the Salomon QST 106s last year (181cm model) in Niseko for the day - they were an absolute charm - it wasn't the deepest of days so can't comment on their deep snow ability first hand - though in my experience they held their edge, good turn initiation, and playful enough to carve with on piste. They are not the stiffest at speed, - but if you're looking to bomb down slopes on fat skis and don't want the chatter would recommend you look at something with dual titanium sheets.

The QST 106 worked nicely on the bumps as well as well as boot deep powder.

A friend who used the same pair for a whole week was absolutely happy on a 50cm deep day in Kiroro with the float and had no complaints.

I decided after the trip that for a euro offpiste ski that they would be a great purchase and intend to buy if I get out this year.
snow conditions
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
As @BobinCH, suggests, kastle 95/95 series are sublime although slightly below your target width massively capable and give you mix of very extensive on piste with significant off ability, perhaps add in their BMX series at about 106mm if more powder orientation is your focus. HP in Kastlè terms adds more control for higher speed and loaded turning with stiffer construction.

Also consider White Dot, possibly Altum model for a very capable ski in your zone and perhaps orientated closer to souls in flex. There's representation and support on forum for these skis too.
snow conditions
 You'll need to Register first of course.
White Dot - Altum looks amazing! Thanks, I will take a look.
snow report
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
The 100ml Bentchetler would be pretty good in trees and chutes. Really reliable and easy to flick around, incredibly stable at speed for such a light ski too.

The 110ml Altum is a beast, wouldn’t be my daily driver but for knee deep snow And less it’s a blast. Responsive and easy to pivot and let the tails drift. Super stable at speed.

Both skis are not ideal in the piste but weirdly the 110 Altum is way more fun!! but if I was in tight, techy terrain with a bit of ice thrown in the 100ml Bentchetler would be my preferred choice

Side note. Not tried the other Altums but if they’re anything like the 110 they should be a pretty darn good ski
latest report
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
There isn't an Altum 110. The Altum widths are 94, 104 & 114mm.
ski holidays
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
Im am actually very intrigued about the Movement BG 109* I got a sweet deal on them also $ but I dont know if they are to much of a ski for my level. Thanks for your response
Quote:

Suspect you’ll find fans for all those skis, bar maybe the Movements which are a bit rarer
ski holidays
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
spyderjon wrote:
There isn't an Altum 110. The Altum widths are 94, 104 & 114mm.

You just beat me to it! Might be getting mixed up with our Ronde series?? Either way happy to answer any specifics on the range as the 104 Altum is one of my favourite models.
ski holidays
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
Hah, that’s how long it’s been since I last saw them in the attic!! Thanks @spyderjon, It was The 114 I was referring to, not sure how I got 110 in my head... Embarassed and makes the above review rather unrelated to the title thread
latest report
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
Elan Ripstick 106 has recieved a lot of praise (even some rewards) from Blister and others. Maybe you should check them too.

https://blisterreview.com/gear-reviews/ski-reviews/2018-2019-elan-ripstick-106
snow report
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
Charlieehr wrote:
Im am actually very intrigued about the Movement BG 109* I got a sweet deal on them also $ but I dont know if they are to much of a ski for my level. Thanks for your response
Quote:

Suspect you’ll find fans for all those skis, bar maybe the Movements which are a bit rarer

Don’t do it. I’ve got an old pair of Movement Jams which are fine but I’ve tried a couple of their pro level skis and they were a handful. Sounds like these are similar

http://youtube.com/v/KGqr1PWuyuU

Suspect you’ll get on much better with your other options or the other suggestions in this thread
snow report
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
@the_doc when we getting altums 84??
ski holidays
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Charlieehr wrote:
So I want something light, maneuverable, but good at speed on piste, good flotation but with some carving capabilities? does that even exist?

Cheers.

So I hate to be the one but good at speed on piste with piste carving for an intermediate skier ain't a ski over 100mm in width!!

IMHO I'd get something mid 80s which you'll use 60%-80% of the time in Europe, then rent >100mm for the occasional really deep powder days/spring slush. Especially as you are out for the season.

Or buy two sets of skis!
latest report
@kitenski, I’ll throw in the counter argument then - that you can do all you want all day everyday in all conditions on a 108 waisted ski, sizing up on powder days. Ok if you’re wanting to ski slalom gates and cranked carving skiing using the full piste use a full-blown slalom or carving ski but most times it’s a compromise and I’ve not found any issues to date 100+ tbh
latest report
@spyderjon, Can't wait to blow the dust off and give the 104 Altum's a bashing as soon as we can get at it Jon! Great set up, really pleased = thanks, was only looking at them in my garage on Sunday

https://blisterreview.com/gear-reviews/2020-2021-whitedot-altum-104
ski holidays
@Markymark29yeah I could ski fine on 100mm but I'd always be wanting a thinner ski for a piste day. Hard icy pistes when there hasn't been much snow for a week or wind has blown the fresh off the last thing I'd want to be on is a wide ski, especially as the OP is an intermediate out for the season. They could have days/weeks without fresh snow.

I've taken 98mm skis back to the car at lunchtime and swopped to 76mm and had loads more fun, even on off piste with 10cm fresh. Same for hard/icy moguls outside of powder/slush.

More power, more responsive, better edge control, higher speeds, more stability I'll get on a 78mm piste ski vs a 100+ softer OP ski.

As you say every ski is a compromise, the OP is out for the season so I'd still say a 2 ski quiver will be 100% more fun than either just a <80mm>100mm ski
latest report
@Markymark29, that's a cracking pic on that review of a very high level skier in "USA firm snow" cranking a turn!! I wish I could ski as well!!

snow report
I’m with @Markymark29, 100mm is the hard snow ski. 115-120 for the pow. If you’re going to hammer the pistes, ok get a piste ski but many of us are still skiing off piste even if it doesn’t snow for 2 weeks and you certainly don’t want a stiff, tight side cut ski in death crust!
ski holidays
BobinCH wrote:
I’m with @Markymark29, 100mm is the hard snow ski. 115-120 for the pow. If you’re going to hammer the pistes, ok get a piste ski but many of us are still skiing off piste even if it doesn’t snow for 2 weeks and you certainly don’t want a stiff, tight side cut ski in death crust!

I think that's it. There's a difference between skiing pistes as a warm up or to move around between places or if you are skiing socially with friends who want to and sking pistes as a primary objective. Your use case changes in the latter and you are presumably willing to suffer a bit of punishment if you go to ski some mixed funk or a firm mogul line. Personal size and wieght comes into it but I'd still be looking for a daily driver in the 90s bracket at least even if I was a little guy. Obviously if I was doing a season I'd find room for a second hand piste performance or race ski for the days when I definitely was all piste (like hard refreezes after a sunny spell).
ski holidays
@kitenski, I totally see your point, and as you and @Dave of the Marmottes, suggests I am actually considering getting a second-hand of good 80mm, because I really enjoy fast piste skiing as well (also I am going with my Girl so most likely I will spend a lot of time in the groomers with here lol)

However, as I mentioned, I did a season in Lake Louise with some LINE 92s and I loved them for the piste... Even in Canada they were fine for me 80 % of the time, I used them in Revelstoke, Kicking Horse, Fernie (I definitely wish I had something fatter for Kicking horse tho)

But then I tried the Soul 7s, I felt immediately better... and I tried them in all sorts of conditions, even on hard snow they felt good to me, definitely not worse than the Line's. Maybe because I don't turn like that guy in the picture haha so for me the 100+ waist on the Souls was just as good?

I think I agree with @BobinCH ... I think that indeed a 100mm ski, based on my experience, can work good even on hard pack snow.

And since my goal of the season is to start getting more and confortable in soft snow/ Off-piste / Tree lines, etc I am looking into the all-mountain bracket. Does that make sense?

I already skied two weeks last season in Montgenevre/Serre Chevalier with some Black crows 90mm and I wish I had something with better flotation for the terrain I was skiing. And it barely snowed those two weeks.
snow conditions
If you are there for a season, you will probably find plenty of 2nd hand skis in resort to try. When I drove my van to the gnarbug & offpiste bashes, I took my 67, 76 and 95mm skis, because I could.
What ski you find that you like, really depends on the style of skiing you like, not just the terrain but the style you like on each terrain.
If you get to a demo day, try different lengths of the same ski, don't just go with "recommended for your size" something that is super stable at high speed super G carves will probably be a handful in the trees it depends where you are most willing to compromise, on piste, off piste or the ability to store & carry X pairs of skis.
latest report
Thanks everyone, I narrowed to SALOMON QST 106, Atomic Bent Chetler 100, SOUL 7. Any comment on those is highly appreciated. Thanks. Skullie
snow conditions
I never tried, but heard many good things about the Fischer Ranger 102 FR and I'm thinking about getting one of this for me next year: https://www.fischersports.com/detail/index/sArticle/1534/sCategory/165

http://youtube.com/v/T6ZyJJPS8qs
snow conditions
Charlieehr wrote:
Thanks everyone, I narrowed to SALOMON QST 106, Atomic Bent Chetler 100, SOUL 7. Any comment on those is highly appreciated. Thanks. Skullie

I'll be honest, I've never skied any of them but.... I bought Salomon skis when I first started out back in the days when ski's were skinny. I think they had some of the best Marketing. But older, and I would like to think wiser, my impression is Salomon don't make great ski's. Bent Chetler is the stupidest name ever but people on here seem to rave about them more often than not. And let's face it with a name like that they better be good. Soul's have also been a regular in threads like this. I was actually quite keen on buying a pair myself at one time. But I do get the impression they suit some far more than others - so one I think you'd need to ski test before committing.
latest report
Quote:

need to ski test before committing

I think this is generally true, although I have ignored it at times ...
snow report
I ski the Bent Chetler 120s a lot, they are still good fun on piste although hard work but in deep snow they are amazing. From what I've seen the 100 version is much more of an all rounder and pretty well thought of, although I went for the Nordica Enforcer 104 Free for my all rounder ski as it is a bit more powder biased and is heavier than the BC 100.
snow report
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
Layne wrote:
Bent Chetler is the stupidest name ever

Given it's the pro model ski of ski legend Chris Benchetler I don't find it a particularly stupid name (Bent presumably coming from the early days of rocker)...

OP, I think both the QSTs and the Soul 7s would work for you. The principal difference is the QST is a little stiffer, heavier, chargier and 'technical' (but still on the surfy, smeary end of the scale), while the Soul is a little softer and easier-going - basically idiot proof fun, but maybe slightly lower top end performance (especially on firm or choppy snow).

Last edited by You know it makes sense. on Wed 7-10-20 14:49; edited 1 time in total
snow report
@Layne, as clarky999 mentions the QST is a stiffer and more directional ski - I have had the chance to demo the Bent Chetler 100 ski as well - although very briefly. In comparison to the QST 106 I would say it is less directional and more playful. It is much more of a "freeski", the softer tips allow you to butter, and the not quite "twin-tip" tails allow you to slash the turns. In comparison to the QST the BC's tips and tails are softer - though the ski has great dampening properties.

If there was one ski that could really do it all - then there wouldn't be so many models on the market - if you have the chance to demo before you buy I would recommend that - you have to find a ski you enjoy Smile
snow report
Quote:

The principal difference is the QST is a little stiffer, heavier, chargier and 'technical' (but still on the surfy, smeary end of the scale), while the Soul is a little softer and easier-going - basically idiot proof fun, but maybe slightly lower top end performance (especially on firm or choppy snow).

Helpful advice, thanks @clarky999,
ski holidays
Owning one universal ski is nonsense. Every terrain, snow situation needs special skis. Like when you drive a Ferrari on a racing circuit. Yes, you can pull a manure cart behind a ferarri, but it won't be. And yes, you can drive on a Dodge Ram racing circuit but ... or you can buy a Mondeo and ride it everywhere, but .. .you will be unhappy. Take long narrow 63-70mm skis with a radius of about 28 m in the morning on a frozen empty ski slope and enjoy 3-4 rides, then go home take the children who have just got up and have breakfast of skis around 82-88mm with a radius of about 20m and enjoy the sun. When it attacks up to 20cm of snow and blows and you still want to ski take skis that are about 90-100mm and use when it attacks even more take skis wider so 104-120 and a little softer flex and use if it attacks a meter of frozen into the face of stinging snow .. then pull the old dusty K2 Hellbend out of the corner .......... then you will be happy
snow conditions
sounds good, Can I marry Mikaela Shiffrin as well? @llugsouthmoravia,
ski holidays
There’s a lot of poo-poo spoken in ski discussions. The best thing to do in your position is to demo as many as you need to until you find what suits you best. The best skis for all conditions for me have been Atomic SL11 & more recently Dynastar Legend X96. Many people will tell one that you won’t like the SL11 in powder or the Legend on piste. Many people are wrong, it’s all down to personal preference.
ski holidays
[quote="Charlieehr"]sounds good, Can I marry Mikaela Shiffrin as well? @llugsouthmoravia,[/quote

and will you be happy ?? Very Happy Very Happy
latest report
@Charlieehr, are you going to be working? I’d missed the whole season bit.

I wouldn’t be buying skis in advance.

Either or all of;

a- I would be identifying a well regarded ski shop and doing a deal to trial as many pairs in my shortlist as I can, this also allows back to back trials and including narrower and wider skis.

b - there’s almost certainly going to be a local Facebook buy and sell group - and I’d be looking out for stuff there

c - if you are in Briancon, find out your local bourses aux skis, very often some excellent bargains to be found (at least there are around here, being Chamonix)

Last edited by You'll need to Register first of course. on Thu 8-10-20 7:51; edited 1 time in total
snow conditions
@under a new name, +1 possibly the most sensible advice yet. You’ll get to meet and know new people and the resort will open up to you in different ways as well
snow report
AndreSilva wrote:
I never tried, but heard many good things about the Fischer Ranger 102 FR and I'm thinking about getting one of this for me next year: https://www.fischersports.com/detail/index/sArticle/1534/sCategory/165

http://youtube.com/v/T6ZyJJPS8qs

I have my eyes set on this specific ski - Have seen last years model to 299 euros, and it is the same ski as this years model Happy
latest report
@Charlieehr, oh, and I must comment that around Chamonix, in the main, to generalise wildly, from what I see, most ex-rental kit is old, knackered and priced 3x - 4x its value.

If buying ex-rental, any decent shop will be able to provide detailed provenance, at least in terms of days rented. (It's all bar codes and databased these days).

Most shops IME will let you rent a bundle of different things for a period, and then if you buy, discount back the rental charges off the purchase price.
snow conditions
@under a new name, Im am remote self employed, so I will be working on my own schedule hopefully I will be in the slopes a lot (Please Covid give us the lifts back) .

Thanks a lot, great advice. Im am looking into it now.
ski holidays

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy