Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Most Picturesque Skiing Area in Europe?

Poster: A snowHead
Hi all,

New to this forum, been living in the US for the past decade and have recently moved back to this side of the Atlantic.

Been blessed with some incredible skiing in North America and I'm wondering is there anywhere in Europe that can compare with places like Lake Louise or Aspen?

Where would people vote as the most stunning ski area in Europe? I'm planning a trip, have only been to Chamonix in Europe before, which although beautiful, it was a lot of work to get around.
snow conditions
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Welcome -- one answer ----- The Dolomites Smile
ski holidays
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Dolomites are amazing, lots of people will suggest there, and couldn't disagree.

I found La Clusaz amazing, not sure why, just loved the scenery there.
snow report
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
You can rule out France
snow conditions
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Hi guys, thank you all for the replies.

Ok sounds great, anywhere in particular in the Dolomites that has amazing scenery?
ski holidays
 You'll need to Register first of course.
Quote:

You can rule out France

Nonsense, there are some beautiful ski areas in France, but for shear scenery you cannot beat the Dolomites
ski holidays
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
@mikefitz11, Santa Croce near Badia. I am usually fairly happy to crack on with skiing, but when F40 tours visited there last year even I wanted to savour the view
latest report
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
davidof wrote:
You can rule out France

I wouldn’t say that, The view of Mont Blanc when emerging out from skiing through the trees from Megeve skiing is quite striking
snow report
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
Espace Killy - 'Le plus beau domaine skiable du monde' is their tag line although much as I love the Espace Killy I do think its b*ll*cks. Les Marecottes is the area the blew me away the most with scenery although its only big enough for a day's skiing
snow conditions
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
Jonny996 wrote:
davidof wrote:
You can rule out France

I wouldn’t say that, The view of Mont Blanc when emerging out from skiing through the trees from Megeve skiing is quite striking

I can see Mont Blanc from my house but I wouldn't suggest anyone comes to my town for the beauty
ski holidays
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
@mikefitz11, welcome to snowHeads! snowHead

Yes, another vote for me for the Dolomites. Switzerland has some amazing picturesque scenery too, from Zermatt with the iconic view of the Matterhorn, to the Jungfrau region resorts of Grindelwald, Wengen and Mürren with the Eiger, Mönch and Jungrau mountains, but for me the Dolomites take the crown. As regards where in the Dolomites then in my opinion if you base yourself anywhere on the Sella Ronda circuit then you have access to some amazing scenery. Very Happy
latest report
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
3V. From Val Thorens to Courchevel
latest report
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
The Dolomites are certainly have some amazing scenery but for the most spectacular scenery Grindlewald is very difficult to beat. It is stereotypically Swiss, lots of idylic chalets and mountain trains with the added attraction of skiing under the north face of the Eiger plus the Mönch & Jungfrau. Not the most extensive or challenging ski area but more than enough for a few days skiing. Some summer pictures can be found on this thread https://snowheads.com/ski-forum/viewtopic.php?p=4638965&highlight=#4638965
snow report
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
The bits of the Dolomites where the ski resorts aren't are even more stunning. Braies and 3 Cime national parks, the bit over the back of Ortisei ski area, etc. Will just have to go back in summer Smile

I'm sure France has pretty bits too. Switzerland most certainly does. Get up and see some of the famous glaciers whilst they are still there.
ski holidays
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Austria - all of it amazing scenery

Switzerland - all of it again

France - most of it but over-pisted imv and spoils the view in some (not all mega-resorts), just don't look at the 1960/90's architecture (the old and very new is thankfully OK, and some beautiful old villages)

Italy - Dolomites
snow report
Dolomites.

I love France, and their ski areas. But for sheer natural beauty. Dolomites.

The hidden valley run.......wow
snow report
Lech would be a worthy candidate. Small enough to be “cosy”, big enough to be interesting. The river runs through the centre of town - think of water cascading past snow-covered rocks. Overlooked by Omeshorn and Ruffikopf. https://www.lechzuers.com/en/winter/skiing/

The photos I have seen of Zermatt makes me think it too would be stunning, but I have yet to make it there.

Last edited by Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person on Tue 29-09-20 13:28; edited 1 time in total
ski holidays
Quote:

Been blessed with some incredible skiing in North America and I'm wondering is there anywhere in Europe that can compare with places like Lake Louise

The bar hasn't been set very high. The view from the chateau over the lake is pretty good, but apart from that the resort doesn't have that many great views. The view along the lake at Misurina is just as good.

For some reason Tignes is derided for its lack of views but the view from the Grand Motte over to the Gran Paradiso national park is IMHO magificent. Then you can turn around and look across to the Grande Casse.

But then again I like to view almost all mountains.
latest report
Wow...so many unbelievable responses...it seems like the Dolomites are the overwhelming winners here.
snow report
@mikefitz11, To whet your appetite have a look at some of James Rushforth's photos of the Dolomites - There is a small sample here https://www.wanderlust.co.uk/content/photo-gallery-the-dolomites-landscapes/
snow conditions
Zermatt is pretty special.
snow conditions
Some quite old photos now (2011) from the top of the hidden valley in the Dolomites that's been mentioned.

Was a huge day out skiing for us from Pozza di Fassa right over there and back, a great day. Except for stopping for lunch we had to constantly ski there and back (plus bus, horse drawn carriage etc that make up the journey)

ski holidays
@mikefitz11, another vote for the Dolomites, stunning scenery all around there. Panoramic views from the Marmolada glacier for example. St Croce and Alpe di Suisi too.
In France the Evasion Mont Blanc area around Megeve and St Gervais is spectacular.
latest report
@ulmerhutte, yep Lech is pretty stunning, as is Warth/ Schroecken

Last edited by You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net. on Tue 29-09-20 14:36; edited 1 time in total
latest report
drporat wrote:
Val Thorens

you must live in Tower Hamlets?
snow report
@davidof,
Quote:

Sorry, the Becton Alps are not a substitue for Pointe du Bouchet
snow conditions
Absolutely amazing. Where would people recommend staying so? Selva or somwhere on the Sella Ronda or Cortina? I'm an intermediate-advanced skier.
ski holidays
Lake Louise is good. Aspen is ok.

The Alps beat those hands down! Go anywhere.

But then, I much preference Squaw, Jackson and Taos. You don't get quite the same in the Alps.
snow conditions
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
davidof wrote:
drporat wrote:
Val Thorens

Yes indeed, so smart of you to understand that. rolling eyes
To the others, i was referring to the ski area of ALL 3V, not to a particular ski station. I do believe the beauty of a ski area is way more important than concrete buildings in a specific location. The peaks and valleys I can reach from ValTho for example are more impressive IMO than the ones that Medran gondola takes me from beautiful chocolate box Verbier. Not to mention VFM.
The Dollies are nice but only on the Marmolada glacier you get that feeling of skiing down from the high peaks, not around them.

Last edited by You know it makes sense. on Tue 29-09-20 14:42; edited 2 times in total
ski holidays
@mikefitz11, Arraba give access to the best and slightly harder skiing. Wolkenstein is quite a large town and has good access to the Sella Ronda. Down the valley is St Ulrich, a smaller and possibly more beautiful town. Alleghe gives good access to the Civetta and by bus to the passo Giau. There is lots of choice.

Personaly I would go for Arraba
snow report
johnE wrote:
Quote:

You can rule out France

Nonsense, there are some beautiful ski areas in France, but for shear scenery you cannot beat the Dolomites

so you are ruling out France then.
snow conditions
Quote:

johnE wrote:
Quote:

You can rule out France

so you are ruling out France then.

No. Just stating a personal preference
latest report
mikefitz11 wrote:
Hi all,

New to this forum, been living in the US for the past decade and have recently moved back to this side of the Atlantic.

Been blessed with some incredible skiing in North America and I'm wondering is there anywhere in Europe that can compare with places like Lake Louise or Aspen?

Where would people vote as the most stunning ski area in Europe? I'm planning a trip, have only been to Chamonix in Europe before, which although beautiful, it was a lot of work to get around.

For great skiing in nice scenery combined with ski in/ski out convenience, I’d have thought Courchevel would be a great option in France. Val d’Isere another good option.

Zermatt not so convenient but mind blowing scenery, fantastic restaurants and the option to ski down into Italy for lunch. Plenty of other smaller resorts in CH with great scenery like Grindelwald or Arosa.
snow report
mikefitz11 wrote:
Hi guys, thank you all for the replies.

Ok sounds great, anywhere in particular in the Dolomites that has amazing scenery?

To be honest, just about all of it. A UNESCO World Heritage site, home of probably the most Michelin-starred mountain 'huts', wonderful locals, great lift system and snow-making, excellent value for money - I could go on.

Personally I like the Alta Badia area - so that incorporates La Villa, Corvara, Colfosco - for me Col Pradat above Colfosco offers a staggering view and a great terrace with nice food. The skiing up around Santa Croce above La Villa also mighty picturesque. But, honestly, Arabba, San Casiano, Val Gardena - all great. You'd fit Aspen and LL in many times over. Pick the right hotels in te Dolomites and they are ski in ski out too (know what you mean about Chamonix being 'work')

A few years ago I took an American colleague to the Zillertal, Austria. He'd only been to the Rockies before and he was blown away, especially the ride up from Finkenberg to Hintertux and especially Hintertux.

A bit off the beaten track but Carinthia has Heiligenblut and then around the other side of the Grossglockner (Austria's highest peak) there is Kals and Matrei (linked) which have pretty spectacular views too and really good skiing.

I'd throw Kitzbuhel into the ring as well - but mainly for the town centre.
ski holidays
Lech has the scenery, the village, the skiing, the snow, the food.
Snow in Dolomites generally is so-so....
ski holidays
Dolomites, no contest.
ski holidays
Quote:

Lech has the scenery, the village, the skiing, the snow, the food.

@Langerzug, .....and the rest of Ski Arlberg to go at if you could possibly get bored!

Last edited by Then you can post your own questions or snow reports... on Tue 29-09-20 15:48; edited 1 time in total
ski holidays
Mountains or villages & towns?

With exceptions like the Matterhorn or bits of the Dolomites, one mountain is much like the next to me, all stunning but in slightly different ways
Austria and Switzerland take the prize for picturesque villages & towns, there are some in france, I think Laughing
Scenery is actually about last on my list of must haves for a ski trip, let's see where it ends up
People I ski with
Recent snow
Good terrain
Weather
Lift system/queues
Minimal pisteing
Food
Comfy bed
Good shower
Good apres ski
Scenery, but are there any ski areas with poor natural scenery? Lots of ugly, man made resorts but nature is better at getting it right.

Of course, the people in no1 on the list will influence the order of the rest of the list, if Girlfriend or wife is in the group, this will push scenery up the rankings
latest report
Dolomites
snow conditions
Dolomites. But not for people who despise groomed pistes....
ski holidays

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy