Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Les Arcs 2020/21

Poster: A snowHead
Pfft slingshot and nutcracker/ ropetow FTW on the double combo.

If you're going to choose 2 man chair at least make it centrepole, swing wildly side to side at loading and neithervseat quite big enough for an adult.
ski holidays
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Arctic Roll wrote:
I see VIP are looking to open their new Arc 1950 "chalets" this season :

https://www.vip-chalets.com/resorts/arc-1950/chalets

Artists impressions obviously, as this is the first year of operation, but they do look quite nice.

This isn't a new building, rebranding of existing?
snow conditions
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?

@thefatcontroller, no, it's brand new. Well, I say 'brand' - they've been building it for the past 3 years. Between the Western end of Arc1950 - my place- and the Ours / Marmottes Lift.
Here's some photos from Summer 2018 - just below our balcony, then from Marmottes / Ours Lift looking up

They used a lot of the spoil for terraforming the Pre St Esprit area (Terraforming - such a posh word for "dumping the crap" ) A veritable convoy of trucks up and down the access road for the whole summer.

snow conditions
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
The resort is looking busy https://en.lesarcs.com/livecams.html It may be because lunch has just finished and the French schools have just started the summer holidays but the kids clubs look in full swing.

Looking at the webcams there still looks to be a lot of snow about.

I'm hoping I get out sometime in the summer (and see all these muck shifters in action)
snow conditions
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
A public enquiry has opened into the replacing of the TransArc. It needs public support, although according to these documents is scheduled for opening in Dec. 2023... presumably based on getting said public support!

https://www.registre-dematerialise.fr/2563/documents

You can register your views by selecting "deposer un observation" , or go to https://www.registre-dematerialise.fr/2563/observation
ski holidays
 You'll need to Register first of course.
@Arctic Roll, why would the replacement of an existing lift need a public enquiry? I assume the replacement will start and finish in the same locations, so the replacement won't encroach on any terrain with environmental restrictions?
ski holidays
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
@rob@rar, Since it will involve a smaller number of pylons in diffferent places I suspect it needs a public enquiry. Perhaps it will encroach on the golf course.

From what I understand from the proposal it will involve replacing the current 15 person cabins with 10 person ones that will travel closer together and faster, more like the varet. Interesting figures are that the throughput goes up from 3000 to 3730 people per hour, though I suspect the improvement will be more than that since the current cabins seem to me to rarely have 15 people in them 12 seems more common. The journey time from Arc 1700 to the top goes down from 11:34 minutes to 8:48, a saving of almost 3 minutes (interesting that the new published time from the bottom to the mid station is 3 minutes 68 seconds - weird).
ski holidays
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
Looking at the proposals again I see a new piste is also being proposed to approach the bottom station from the south. This may need the removal of some trees - the trees that house the Arc Adventure parcour d' adventure. The proposal https://www.registre-dematerialise.fr/document/registerDocument/get/75322/%C3%89tude%20d%27impact%20-%2015-12-2020 contains a comprehensive enviromental impact assessment.
ski holidays
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
Looking at those plans there seems to be more proposed than just a straightforward replacement of the gondola. Will ease the piste bottleneck on the run in to the three lifts on the snowfront at Arc 1800, which can be tricky to navigate through if you're keeping up enough speed to reach the Vagere chairlift.
snow conditions
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
@rob@rar, The revision to the piste will hopefully ease the piste cross roads just above the the bottom station. I've seen a few accidents there.
snow report
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
johnE wrote:
@rob@rar, The revision to the piste will hopefully ease the piste cross roads just above the the bottom station. I've seen a few accidents there.
Yeah, it can get a bit bonkers there in peak weeks, especially if the snow gets a bit polished and people don't have much control, frequently perching there while they pluck up courage to move.
ski holidays
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
I think you're right guys: replacement pylons may need 'approval'. They say on page 1 about the difference between the theoretical and actualite uplift, precisely as you say - no-one but no-one ever puts 15 people in a Transarc bubble.

There is the environmental impact assessment of the piste re-config too apparently - a 'brown frog' and a 'window swallow' are both affected.

I also read it to mean that the top station will be 30 metres or so the right hand side of the current position, which will in turn make the entrance to top of Grand Reynard a little easier - a single start rather then either side of the machinery as it currently is.
snow report
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
Update from a neighbour in Les Arcs, major construction of a new restaurant at the top of the Varet gondola by the Maison Falcoz group that runs Les Chalets de L'Arc and Le Savoy restaurants in Arc 2000. Also new public toilets there, which will be a relief, if you excuse the pun.

Apparently they are also building a new Zip Line attraction which will zoom from the top of the Varet down to the Olympic Flame, apparently reaching speeds of 130kph. Not for me, but a fun (terrifying) addition to the resort.

latest report
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
@rob@rar, Wow, I had seen some pictures on Facebook of this but not close ups. Its a logical place for a restaurant and will be a good money spinner for whoever owns it. Good to see continual investment in the resort despite COVID, confidence some normalilty will return.

As for the Zip wire, will happily watch videos of others doing thanks..... Shocked Shocked
snow report
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
@thefatcontroller, I can’t quite make it out, but part of the new construction seems to be on the far side of the Varet top station (furthest away from the Ag Rouge cablecar) and I’d guess will have amazing views of the Arc 2000 bowl and north to Mt Blanc. On a clear day that would be a spectacular place for lunch. Hope to try it out in December if they get it open in time for the start of the new season.
snow conditions
I'll almost certainly have a go on the zip wire, but to be honest they don't excite me. People who I've spoken to who have done the zipwire in Bethesda have been very underwhelmed by the experience. There is a zip wire across the Arc river at Les Forts de l'Esseillon which looks pretty impressive. However, the noise it makes is very invasive to the Via Ferrata du Diable which also crosses the gorge. These things are noisy. You will hear it throughout the 2000 valley.

Mind you the toilets at the top of the varet will be very convenient, especially if there is a long queue for the telepherique (incidently, has anyone paid to jump the queue for the telepherique?)
snow conditions
@rob@rar, will you be in Les Arcs over the Christmas/New Year period. We are planning to come out the Wednesday or Thursday before Christmas and return after New Year. We will also be out for a week or tro at the end of January
ski holidays
Quote:

Mind you the toilets at the top of the varet will be very convenient, especially if there is a long queue for the telepherique

Oh! I have just remembered there used to be toilets there already
latest report
johnE wrote:
@rob@rar, will you be in Les Arcs over the Christmas/New Year period. We are planning to come out the Wednesday or Thursday before Christmas and return after New Year. We will also be out for a week or tro at the end of January
Current plan is to arrive in time for the first day of the season, and stay until the 29th. Be good to catch up.
latest report
johnE wrote:
Quote:

Mind you the toilets at the top of the varet will be very convenient, especially if there is a long queue for the telepherique

Oh! I have just remembered there used to be toilets there already
IIRC, just a temporary portaloo type thing, and possible only for Men? Or maybe my girlfriend refused to use the Ladies loo as it was a bit rank.
snow report
Quote:

IIRC, just a temporary portaloo type thing, and possible only for Men?

I think that popped up when they modified the bottom station. It used to be part of the main building. You went into another door beside the main entrance.
snow conditions
johnE wrote:
Quote:

IIRC, just a temporary portaloo type thing, and possible only for Men?

I think that popped up when they modified the bottom station. It used to be part of the main building. You went into another door beside the main entrance.
Yes, that sounds about right. New facilities always welcome.
ski holidays
The loos and the snack bar used to be slightly raised behind the top station Varet - if you were coming down Arondlieres with a small amount of speed you could make it up the ramp, otherwise it was a climb up a metal staircase.

The cafe / restaurant is to be quite a large installation iirc , with large panoramic windows overlooking / overhanging? the Varet - I'll see if I can dig out some 'artists impressions' they were touting last year. Glad they're going ahead.

Not sure about the zip wire... maybe one of those things you do once. Presumably you catch Varet up without skis, and pick them up when you get to the bottom?
latest report
Or at least... the snack bar was up there. Were the loos? hmm now you've got me thinking!
latest report
I seem to remember a couple of portaloo type loos, just down from the Ag rouge cable car station, next to the start of Lanches
ski holidays
Arctic Roll wrote:
The cafe / restaurant is to be quite a large installation iirc , with large panoramic windows overlooking / overhanging? the Varet - I'll see if I can dig out some 'artists impressions' they were touting last year. Glad they're going ahead.
Yes please, if you can find the artwork. After the last couple of aborted seasons anything which is a positive to look forward to would be most welcome. The next few months until I can finally get back out there are going to crawl along incredibly slowly!
snow report
Quote:

Yes please, if you can find the artwork. After the last couple of aborted seasons anything which is a positive to look forward to would be most welcome. The next few months until I can finally get back out there are going to crawl along incredibly slowly!

I'm thinking of going out sometime in September for a week's "decorating". Or rather some walking. I actually like the period September - November in Les Arcs. Great for some quiet sport climbing, walking in the forest and the lower hills. And of course stocking up the cave with beer and wine for the winter Smile
ski holidays
I have more somewhere, they just take a little finding! But this is from the Les Arcs website:

You can see the projected start of the zip line form within the structure.

snow conditions
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
@Arctic Roll, Are you sure that is not really just a ropeway for haulling materials and supplies up to the hut at the top? Toofy Grin It would allow the restaurant to stay open even when the Varet lift is closed. Much like the ropeways supplying the huts in the Dolomites.

It looks a lovely place for a resaturant BTW. I just hope the ambience is better than the one on the Col du Chal.

I'll see if there is any activity this autumn. It looks a good project to walk up to there
latest report
@Arctic Roll, many thanks. Looks good, and the views should be awesome. Hope it's open in time for the start of the season.

johnE wrote:
I just hope the ambience is better than the one on the Col du Chal.
+1 to that. I really don't like that place and won't eat there, which is a shame as the view from the terrace is terrific. I'll stop for a drink, but the hot chocolate is dire and the espresso is just about passable.
ski holidays
@johnE, indeed could be (artists impressions are always just that!).

I too rather fancy going out this autumn, although it won't be Sept. - but Mrs W slightly more cautious. We've a couple of owner's cupboards which haven't been opened for near on 2 years, and I think they may well need a sort out... But it is a long old haul for just a few days of 'spring cleaning', so it may have to wait until next projected ski - 15th Jan.
latest report
I'm hoping for a few days in the autumn as well, probably early November. Keen to check on the apartment before I arrive in December, and perhaps a day or two up on the Grand Motte to be able to make more than 10 turns without coming to a halt.
latest report
@rob@rar, October is looking rather full with a 2 week climbing trip to Kalymnos and other commitments so it may be early November for us afterall. I'm on the loookout for a new small fan oven so may neen a trip to the megastores of Chambery while there.

We also need to check out the cave. I suspect there is some foodstuffs that need to be binned. We will need fresh tea for certain but I'm not sure how long pasta, rice, flour etc. keeps for.

As to getting the ski legs back - we have been back dryslope training for a couple months or so now and my experience is that you don't loose it. I even entered a race at Gloucester having not actually been on skis for 18 months and survived, albeit in almost last place.
snow conditions
Ahha _ Found the architect's plans:

https://www.sg-architecte.com/portfolio_page/laiguille-rouge/

Takes a bit of imagination to reconcile the drawing with the "photo-impression", but nevertheless looks impressive.

Reminds me a bit of the restaurant a couple of hundred yards off the top of the Roche de Mio - which has had significant balcony expansions over the course of our visits.
ski holidays
@Arctic Roll, many thanks, that looks great. Plenty of space in addition to the restaurant, so a good facility for those who just want to sit and enjoy the view rather than eat.
snow report
Also, from the Les Arcs domain press release of this week:

La Tyrolienne des Arcs sera à n’en pas douter LA nouvelle attraction de l’hiver. Survolant le tracé de l’ancienne piste de KL (Kilomètre lancé) qui a longtemps détenu le record du monde de vitesse
à ski (251,4 km/h, Simone Origone, 2006), cette tyrolienne permettra d’atteindre une vitesse de 130 km/h, en duo ou en solo ! Après la descente, il est possible de récupérer une photo souvenir à partager
avec ses proches.
Tarif : 55€ / descente
Une descente incluse dans le Pass Premium
et -50% avec le Pass Essentiel
latest report
@Arctic Roll, good that there’s one ride included in the Premium season pass.
snow report
Arctic Roll wrote:
Ahha _ Found the architect's plans:

https://www.sg-architecte.com/portfolio_page/laiguille-rouge/

Takes a bit of imagination to reconcile the drawing with the "photo-impression", but nevertheless looks impressive.

Reminds me a bit of the restaurant a couple of hundred yards off the top of the Roche de Mio - which has had significant balcony expansions over the course of our visits.

Thanks, wow, looks an amazing viewing platform!
ski holidays
Having looked over my shoulder at the plans, MiniRoll has asked if she can go on the Zip Wire. [checks price of premium pass cf to standard...] The innocence of youth eh?

@johnE, re: ovens, have you considered a halogen?

We've one in the cupboard (cos we rent our place out via PV, and its not part of their inventory) - its brilliant for everything from making shortbread to cooking a complete Sunday roast ( althouhg we tend to get the pre-cooked chicken from the supermarket and just use it for the roasties). Total convert family here.

https://www.independent.co.uk/life-style/food-and-drink/features/how-i-fell-love-halogen-ovens-2098619.html
latest report
Thanks for the suggestion @Arctic Roll, I'll have a look but they appear too tall for me. Our kitchen area is tiny: a sink and two hotplates. to supplement this we have a shelf above that holds a small yet old microwave oven and a small oven. Unfortuneatley it just doesn't get hot enougth to do dishes like chicken kiev, or even oven chips. I need another oven.

Our version of your halogen oven is a combined pressure cooker/slow cooker/oveney thing that sits in the cave for our use only. It is great for rice/potatoes/stews etc. In fact I could probably prepare meals using that alone.
Quote:

Survolant le tracé de l’ancienne piste de KL (Kilomètre lancé)

I get the impression that the flying K has now been abandoned. Incidently when I first started going to Les Arcs the flying K was in a different position and the chairlift to the bottom of the telepherique started much higher up the hill.
ski holidays

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy