Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Tignes and The Espace Killy 2020/2021. (Useful links updated on Page 1)

Poster: A snowHead
As the season has now finished La Marie has authorised building works to start from today. The major one will be the Club Med complex on the Grande Motte carpark. 7 cranes are about to appear, they should be visible on the webcams. However some of the locals overlooking the site are not best pleased as works are authorised from 0600 to 2000 Mon - Fri, 6-12 on Sats! But the workers are supposed to do things quietly in the first and last 2 hours, yeah right!
ski holidays
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Quote:
The major one will be the Club Med complex on the Grande Motte carpark.
Hadn't seen anything at all about that chocksaway...So a chunk of the carpark to be built on? Confused Given that our apartment is about half way down the carpark (in one of the Chalet Clubs) can you advise on the location? I'm assuming it's not going to be a small, unobtrusive development...
ski holidays
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
@mountainaddict, http://www.mairie-tignes.fr/697-pc-village-club-med.htm

My French isn't great, but I think it's 1000 beds Shocked . Picture on the plan link.
latest report
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
GreenDay wrote:

My French isn't great, but I think it's 1000 beds Shocked . Picture on the plan link.

Queue for Tichot on a morning then Laughing

Last edited by You need to Login to know who's really who. on Thu 15-04-21 21:31; edited 1 time in total
latest report
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
@mountainaddict, Its been in the mix for a long time with many revisions. I've nothing better than the stuff@GreenDay, has posted. Parking will be a multi storey to replace what's lost. I realise this is not good news for you.
snow report
 You'll need to Register first of course.
@chocksaway,

Do you have a picture of the proposed covered slope as well?
latest report
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
@GreenDay,
Quote:

My French isn't great, but I think it's 1000 beds . Picture on the plan link.

Wow that's huge! Should create a nice wind funnel down the main road too, assuming its on the car park just to the side of that.
Lifts would be upgraded near there I hope?
snow conditions
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
Quote:
I've nothing better than the stuff@GreenDay, has posted. Parking will be a multi storey to replace what's lost. I realise this is not good news for you

Shocked Shocked Shocked

I'm absolutely dumbfounded - but mainly because we knew absolutely nothing about the project.

Looking at this objectively, I think it looks a decent development that will change the character of Val Claret for the better. But the parking virtually at our apartment door will be a big miss. I'm assuming the whole open air car park will be gone? Where will this new multi-storey car park be located?

One possible concern was the impact on views from our balcony. As we are four floors up, our our views of the Grande Motte will be unaffected but, given the scale of the development, it looks like Tichot Chair and the lower slopes around there will be obscured.
ski holidays
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
@mountainaddict, I think it's at the Lac end of the current car park.
@stewart woodward, I think you can just see La Rosiere from there Laughing
That was the last I heard on the final site for the indoor slope.
ski holidays
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
This shows the location better

ski holidays
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
PeakyB wrote:
Wow that's huge! Should create a nice wind funnel down the main road too, assuming its on the car park just to the side of that.
Lifts would be upgraded near there I hope?

Looking at the "Annexes au rapport" from the link GreenDay posted:

From page 80 there are stats on lift utilisation. Fresse is the busiest, peaking around 55% of capacity. Tichot peaks around 45%.

On page 86 there is a plan of the site. It shows a new snow front and new lift running parallel to Tichot but at the entrance to Val Claret. It doesn't show the top of the lift, but I assume this could be made to connect with Merles and Grand Huit, as well as running back under the lift into Val Claret. That would also provide a shorter route back from Val Claret/Val d'Isere to Le Lac, avoiding Trolles/Johan Clarey.

There's also a "ski" route shown that arrives at the bottom of Tichot from behind the buildings on the far side of the road. I'm not sure what that really represents or what is possible, but it seems to suggest that you'd be able to start skiing down Bollin, turn off to the right after the old Club Med building, then ski all the way to the bottom of Tichot. It would be nice if you could do that without polling, but there's a road and other building in the way.

These are only suggestions that were in a planning application, so there's a very good chance they won't happen, but they could be nice improvements if they did.
latest report
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
Thanks for that aerial view pic MyKeg It certainly confirms the scale of the development - ie gargantuan.

Not sure why they've left any space at the Grande Motte end though - surely they could've fitted in another couple of hundred rooms? rolling eyes
snow conditions
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
going to be a massive change. Those old photos in the Annexes are superb.
snow conditions
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
mountainaddict wrote:

Not sure why they've left any space at the Grande Motte end though - surely they could've fitted in another couple of hundred rooms? rolling eyes

They need the room for the Tichot lift queue Shocked
ski holidays
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Any ideas on timescale for when this monster is to be finished and open??
snow report
Would be good if they built the multistory parking before starting on the new Club Med building.
snow conditions
@snowornever, From a mate with a balcony overlooking it 2 to 4 years. They are hoping with this months head start it will be 2!
snow conditions
Hmm
Well I can’t avoid the growing feeling that the resort is just getting too big in terms of bed numbers
There was talk of even more developments in lavachet along the side of the nursery slope teeing off owners in the existing buildings! Eh oh!
latest report
Money talks. They are adding beds in all the high places, France and Austria alike.
I just wonder who will take the old CM building.
snow report
@snowornever, Indeed, I agree we should be one bed in one out but upping the quality. That didn't go down well with one of the folks behind the Lavachet project.

Lift capacity is fine generally, but piste capacity isn't. But persuading land owners to allow new list As is tricky. It's a quirk of French law about offering benefits in kind and who actually owns the snow surface when the land can't be used for grazing.
snow report
chocksaway wrote:
@snowornever, Indeed, I agree we should be one bed in one out but upping the quality. That didn't go down well with one of the folks behind the Lavachet project.

Lift capacity is fine generally, but piste capacity isn't. But persuading land owners to allow new list As is tricky. It's a quirk of French law about offering benefits in kind and who actually owns the snow surface when the land can't be used for grazing.

Actually, I think one bed in two beds out would be a better strategy, and, as you say going for quality rather than the monastic cell approach!
ski holidays
snowornever wrote:
chocksaway wrote:

Actually, I think one bed in two beds out would be a better strategy, and, as you say going for quality rather than the monastic cell approach!

I agree on the quality angle - and there are some areas where it might not even be legal to replace like for like bed numbers (not au fait with planning in France, but in Lavachet, for example, there are a lot of tiny (notionally) 1 bed apartments with the alcove in the hallway given over to a par of bunkbeds) The Home Club is one that springs to mind immediately.

Everything I have seen developed in Tignes recently has had a bit more living space and quality about it - e.g. the Phoenix development in Rue de la Poste.

20 years ago, they may have tried to ram a gazillion crappy one and two bed apts in but what they did with the space was much more of the genuine 3 and 4 bed places with good living and cooking accomodation............and that was a redevelopment of existing space in the Palafour building.
snow report
Quote:
From a mate with a balcony overlooking it 2 to 4 years
4 years! Shocked Is it being built by a UK motorway maintenance company?? Laughing Unbelievable how long those schemes take...
snow conditions
Probably the EU vaccination team............................
snow report
Quote:
Probably the EU vaccination team...
Laughing
ski holidays
mountainaddict wrote:
Quote:
From a mate with a balcony overlooking it 2 to 4 years
4 years! Shocked Is it being built by a UK motorway maintenance company?? Laughing Unbelievable how long those schemes take...

Actually that's only 2 years as they are not allowed to work in the ski season
snow report
Quote:
Actually that's only 2 years as they are not allowed to work in the ski season
I've heard from someone inTignes who has heard that interior works will be undertaken in the ski season??
snow report
The parking in yellow on the aerial map has a yellow perimeter and is labelled “souterrain“, ie underground. When I read “multi-storey” I only think of above ground. If it’s below ground then that is a crazy amount of groundworks, possibly for grading the covered slope?
latest report
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
@Grinning, Most of the parking in Tignes is multi-storey underground. The bit in the yellow line is a coach park now, would guess they will keep that unchanged and just put car spaces underneath, there isn't a slope to regrade.
snow report
@rjs, I meant grading the planned covered slope (fridge).

The Golf multi-storey is not really underground in that they did not dig down so much as just plopped it in a sump and built up to fill the sump in staggered layers
snow conditions
@Grinning, I believe that the indoor slope has been canned, possibly to reemerge at La Ros.

@rjs, Yeah, the bowels of Lac 3 are still a mystery to me. You never quite know which dimension you are going to reappear in, even the middle of a roundabout or Lac 1! Still all the spoil from Lac 3 converted the bottom half of Trolles from terrifying to scary. Shocked
ski holidays
Quote:
The bowels of Lac 3 are still a mystery to me. You never quite know which dimension you are going to reappear in, even the middle of a roundabout or Lac 1!
Golf multi-storey is just as bad....I was once all but convinced that the hire car had been knicked - but was in the wrong bit of the car park Embarassed
ski holidays
@mountainaddict, or tigski who managed to appear backstage in the Maison from Lac3 on New Years Eve much to the consternation of security who thought they had locked it down to keep the masses from the high paid 'talent'.
latest report
If tigski's not on the list...They're not coming in!".... Or maybe they are Laughing
snow report
They wouldn't let me sing though!

I'm pretty sure I've tried all the exits from Lac3 now.
ski holidays
Quote:
They wouldn't let me sing though
Pity...Chanson D'Amour?? Laughing
latest report
Tigski wrote:
They wouldn't let me sing though!

I'm pretty sure I've tried all the exits from Lac3 now.

Even the one into Narnia?
snow conditions
Quote:
Even the one into Narnia?
Don't know that bar Puzzled Does it have a happy hour? Laughing
ski holidays
Is it possible to add https://www.saison-ski-tignes.com/ to the useful links page for getting discounted season passes.

Chris
ski holidays
The new Club Med development has closed most of the hotels and apartments along the bottom road due to the noise and dust. Feel so sorry for the businesses there who have lost so much due to Covid. I own an apartment in Ecrin de Neiges which has been shut down totally for the summer. No compensation, we weren't even told. Work is from 6am to 10pm on the project. I also notice that the information about the project has been removed from the Marie website.
ski holidays

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy