Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Hintertux early season

Poster: A snowHead
So I'm wondering what people's experiences of Hintertux have been in, say, Novembers.

The snow reports suggest snow high up but webcams show a lot of green stuff!

If travel restrictions ease, I've got a midweek option for a few days mid-November. I mainly ski reds, and am happy on very hard pack.

What are people's thoughts?

And presumably it's dead easy to hire skis at that time of year?

Thanks for your time.
ski holidays
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
There will definitely be snow at Hintertux in early November. The question is, what will skiing conditions, be like?

Based on my experience of 30 years of European glacier skiing (inc. Hintertux) from September onwards, the probability is that glacier conditions will be pretty decent then. In my experience, that time of year has historically been very reliable for good conditions. I've experienced valley level snow as early as late October (contradiction which hopefully makes sense!) with winter conditions at altitude. However, the snow level will likely be higher than that, with good snow on the glacier. In all probability, there will be decent skiing back to Tuxer Fernerhaus (approx 2300m) at Hintertux. You may even encounter the first big dump of winter (and powder) - in which case the place could get very busy.

On the other hand, I have had marginal glacier conditions in early November on only one occasion - that was at Tignes, with boiler plate conditions on very old snow. Still fun to be out for some early season turns though.

Hintertux ski hire is easy - big shop with massive selection right at the bottom gondola station. Cheaper if you book online in advance - & probably cheaper still from shops 30 mins down the road in Mayrhofen, or further up the valley in Lanersbach.
snow conditions
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
That's great, thanks for suxh a comprehensive reply.
snow conditions
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
nickinscottishmountains,

Up until 2017 we skied at least 10 consecutive October half term weeks on Austrian glaciers and always had, at least, very decent snow conditions. And, as mountainaddict experienced, we also often had great, winter, conditions.

We usually did a road trip, with 2 or 3 days at each glacier, and, over the years, sampled Hintertux, Soelden, Stubai, Pitztal, Kaprun and Kaunertal.

You should also easily find cheap (B&B or self catering) accommodation at any glacier in November, even last minute. We would always be happy to turn up and knock on guesthouse doors to find somewhere to stay but, of course, the internet now removes that issue.

November would be a great time of the year to ski the glaciers. Go for it! Very Happy
snow conditions
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Pretty much what others have said. It’s normally pretty good at that time of year with skiing down to 2300m. Lift wurde can get a bit busy at weekends especially round 26 October (Austrian National Day) and All Saints’ which is a Sunday this year. But definitely fun enough for two to three days. Always feel privileged to get days in in October and November (occasionally a few cheeky ones in September). And fun to ski at the top whilst the valley is looking all autumnal.
snow report
 You'll need to Register first of course.
It’s normally fantastic.

We have been every year for last 5 years to an Austrian glacier (mostly Tux). Mid Nov.

Conditions are as described above. Last year was very marginal and the worst I have encountered but mainly due to high winds making a lot of hard pack.

3 years we had powder.

Only 1 year skiing open below Tuxer fernerhaus.

There is a public holiday in Slovak and Czech on or around 17th Nov. If that coincides with a dump of snow then it can get very busy at Hintertux. Such that you want to be there early or you find yourself waiting in a Q to park.
snow report
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Thanks everyone, as soon as the travel ban changes, I'm going!

I'll report back
snow report
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
Thinking of getting out to Hintertux in Oct or early to mid Nov for a few days. Looks like UK to Austria is okay at the moment. Obvs weather dependant but I'm thinking there is more terrain open at Tux in early to mid Nov than Tignes grande motte?

Is their much open in Mayrhofen town for resteraunts, bars, supermarkets, spa? Will have a hire car and so guess it wouldn't matter where we stay.
ski holidays
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
10 Day Quarantine on arrival in Austria. You also need a negative covid test too.
ski holidays
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
@Lost in the trees, UK to Austria = negative test or quarantine, Austria to UK = 14 days quarantine so probably not a good idea
snow conditions
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
@munich_irish, when did Austria bring back the negative test requirement for UK? I didn’t see that.
snow report
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
@Bennyboy1, apologies, I am getting confused with Germany which has introduced that requirement for a good deal of the UK and I would guess more parts will follow given the increase in numbers seen over the past few days.
snow report
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
@munich_irish, not that it makes much difference if you need to quarantine on return to uk!
ski holidays
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
https://www.austria.org/current-travel-information

I read the above as you need to quarantine regardless
latest report
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
@Lost in the trees, it will be quiet in Mayrhofen but there will be a few places open. Steakhouse, pizza/pasta restaurant and a couple of hotels like the Krammerwirt. I doubt Mo’s will be open but it might be, Scotland Yard will be closed I think. It’s chilled in Nov.

On the mountain the main Tuxerfernerhaus will be open but maybe only the self service. Sometimes they open up the table service too.
latest report
@russ_e, I read that to say that EU nationals (UK still included currently) dont have to quarantine except if they come from a "high risk" area

Individuals who enter Austria from one of the following states (list A1) and have their residence in Austria or one of the following states:
Andorra, Australia, Belgium, Czech Republic (except the region of Prague), Denmark, Germany, Estonia, Finland, France (except the regions of Paris/Île-de-France and Provence-Alpes-Cote d’Azur), Greece, Hungary, Ireland, Iceland, Italy, Japan, Kanada, Latvia, Liechtenstein, Lithuania, Luxembourg, Malta, Monaco, Netherlands, New Zealand, Norway, Poland, Portugal (except the regions of Lisbon and Norte), Republic of Korea (South Korea), San Marino, Sweden, Switzerland, Slovakia, Slovenia, Spain (Canary Islands only), Uruguay, Vatican City, United Kingdom, and Cyprus,

do not have to present the medical certificate and are not subject to a quarantine if they can prove that they were not present in any other state than Austria and the states listed above within the last TEN days.

Though it is very unclear and is likely to change at short notice.
snow conditions
@munich_irish, Yes that text you quoted in italics clearly states that currently people with their residence in the UK do not have to present a medical certificate or self quarantine on arrival in Austria if they were not present in any other states (although being in states in list A1 is also allowed) within the last 10 days.
As you say though, it could change at short notice.
snow conditions
Does anyone know what the quarantine entails?
snow report
It's only a 9-day forecast, but looks like a big dump this weekend. Could be a good start....

https://www.bergfex.com/hintertux/wetter/prognose/
ski holidays
At least I can see the snow on the Hintertux Webcams NehNeh
snow report
russ_e wrote:

I guess you get put in a nice Austrian basement.
ski holidays
russ_e wrote:

And Skiers skiing !! Smile
snow conditions
albob wrote:
russ_e wrote:

And Skiers skiing !! Smile

Just checked and the cloud has lifted and I can see people on the mountain. Smile

Total torture - have great memories of the Tux pub too.
ski holidays
rjs wrote:
russ_e wrote:

I guess you get put in a nice Austrian basement.

Laughing I would happily take 10 days isolating Scotland Yard followed by a week on the slopes.
ski holidays
Anyone been to Kaprun recently or this time of year. That seems to be open and on way actually driving (avoiding the German border). More limited skiing though I think.
snow conditions
In recent years we've seen green mountains over Europe over Christmas and new year. Then in Covid year, we start getting dumps in September.

I just get the feeling mother nature is going to have great fun hitting us with a global pandemic lockdown and regular 3 feet powder dumps to look at on webcams all season...
snow report
cameronphillips2000 wrote:
In recent years we've seen green mountains over Europe over Christmas and new year. Then in Covid year, we start getting dumps in September.

I just get the feeling mother nature is going to have great fun hitting us with a global pandemic lockdown and regular 3 feet powder dumps to look at on webcams all season...

Guaranteed NehNeh
snow report

It did this last September and November too! If the rest of your prophecy comes true I won't be complaining, but there's no need for the mental torture and FOMO just yet wink
snow conditions
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
clarky999 wrote:

It did this last September and November too! If the rest of your prophecy comes true I won't be complaining, but there's no need for the mental torture and FOMO just yet wink

Clarky999 any views on how worthwhile kaprun would be half day (if driving from salzburg) vs heading straight to tux

Also if anyone knows how the border crossing is at the moment via Munich routes
latest report
@Lost in the trees, sorry, I've never skied at either Kaprun or 'Tux! Stubai is my 'local' glacier - certainly looks and sounds like a pretty good time up there atm, but I haven't been up yet either.
snow conditions
@Lost in the trees, Unless something has happened very recently there are no border closures. There are no restrictions for Land Salzburg in Bavaria, again currently (so no issues going via Lofer). There are also no restrictions on visits under 48 hours or transits. So no issue driving from Salzburg to the Zillertal and back via Bavaria
ski holidays
Cheers good to know. I think I'll end up booking to Munich and drive
snow report
@Lost in the trees, I assumed from your comments that you were based in Salzburg, clearly not. Whilst flying into to Munich from parts of the UK is currently possible without any restrictions it seems rather unlikely (to say the least) that will continue for very much longer. The same would apply in Austria. Germany is planning to drop the option of having a pre arrival negative test to avoid quarantine from the middle of this month though this is subject to revision. There is a European wide regional "traffic light" system for the identification of "high risk" areas in the process of being agreed. I would wait to see how that plays out before making any concrete plans.

Given the situation in Germany over the past few days it would seem likely that it will be removed from the UK's "travel corridors" in the foreseeable future.
snow report

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy