Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Crit'Air Certificate Advice

Poster: A snowHead
Greetings all,

As per my other thread, planning to drive down to Megéve in January. The plan is to drive down in the Surf - as it is a 4x4 and lives on all-terrain M&S tyres anyway (I also have a set of 4 chains for it).

Have previously driven this down to Bulgaria (Bansko) back in 2017.

So gratuitous photos out of the way - my concern is around the Crit'Air Certificate - as the Surf is a 1992, and diesel - it is not eligible for a certificate (I went onto the website and tried to order one, computer says "No"). Am I likely to run into any issues driving down? Are we likely to be stopped for not having one? I know that the main areas are around Paris and Grenoble (where we will not be going anyway) but I am a bit concerned about the "pop-up" zones that can be declared at short notice. Are we likely to get caught out by any of these?

TIA
ski holidays
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Most of the french don't have them although I do. Take a risk ...... Given some of the old crap the french drive I'm surprised there isn't a classification, albeit the lowest.
snow report
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
That was my thoughts - I thought there might be a classification of "at least I tried" rather than just "Non!"
ski holidays
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
YetiManMark wrote:

So gratuitous photos out of the way - my concern is around the Crit'Air Certificate - as the Surf is a 1992, and diesel - it is not eligible for a certificate

You'll be ok in 2022 as it will be classed as a classic car in France.

As for 2021. There are some areas such as Grenoble where it is simply not allowed to take such a vehicle on any day. You'll have to research any restrictions on your route.
That said, I'm in the same situation as you with a 1999 vehicle and I drive it in Grenoble - we're not all Greta Thunberg able to afford a Tesla. If I were to be stopped by the police I might be fined.
ski holidays
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
We got one for the Golf, it costs under a fiver and takes about 5 minutes online. The fine for not having one in one of the controlled areas is about €175 IIRC... Think it lasts 3 years?

Theres a quick guide to what you need here...

and the link to the french gov site here Use their english language version (top right) DON'T let your browser translate it...
snow report
 You'll need to Register first of course.
Richard_Sideways wrote:
We got one for the Golf, it costs under a fiver and takes about 5 minutes online. The fine for not having one in one of the controlled areas is about €175 IIRC... Think it lasts 3 years?

and the link to the french gov site here Use their english language version (top right) DON'T let your browser translate it...

Wwwwwoooosh !!!

You know what that sound is Richard? That's the sound of an a thread going completely over your head.
snow report
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
IME, albeit winter 18/19, with a 51 plate Nissan: unless you really want to you can simply not drive into the cities with permanent restrictions. The ‘pop up’ limits were speed restrictions on the autoroute (with roadside speed traps) rather than limits on which vehicles can use the road.
latest report
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
(And therefore don’t need one)
snow report
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
@davidof, Meh, A gift basket of indifferent shrugs has been dispatched to your location...
snow conditions
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
But the A480 past Grenoble leading to many resorts is covered by Crit'Air and I have seen signs on it banning some categories of vehicles.
snow conditions
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
Richard_Sideways wrote:
@davidof, Meh, A gift basket of indifferent shrugs has been dispatched to your location...

can you add some French pouting ?
snow report
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
The official French Website is easy to deal with, delivery of sticker to UK can be a little long winded.
First trip, I had the email receipt for the trip.
Positioning of sticker is fussy.

Lasts a year, and was about 6euro on the hybrid.

Just imagine the shock if anything in the UK got done for less than £10, much less a fiver.
snow report
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
Jameswp wrote:
Lasts a year.

It doesn't just last a year, the only reason to replace it would be if it could no longer be read.
ski holidays
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
rjs wrote:
Jameswp wrote:
Lasts a year.

It doesn't just last a year, the only reason to replace it would be if it could no longer be read.

My bad, explains why the sticker should be on the outside of the windscreen then!

I changed cars between trips, probably why I had the year in mind.
snow report
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Richard_Sideways wrote:

Thanks, but I cannot get one as the vehicle is too old, the question was more - "What now?" and what issues am I likely to encounter?
snow report
YetiManMark wrote:
what issues am I likely to encounter?

What route are you planning to use ? There might be a problem if Geneva city imposed restrictions again and you had driven through the Jura.
snow report
I have only seen the restrictions in place around Grenoble once I think and the police were stopping cars coming out of the toll gates where the road changes from autoroute to Grenoble ring road. They only seem to go for the easy meat in the slow, right hand, lanes so get yourself a toll doofer so that you can go through the non-stop gates on the left Smile
Presumably they will develop a way of doing it with ANPR cameras soon anyway ? So you will just have to cough up when the bill comes Sad
snow conditions
YetiManMark wrote:

Thanks, but I cannot get one as the vehicle is too old, the question was more - "What now?" and what issues am I likely to encounter?

Likely? Zero.

Remotely possible?
1. you are in a zone where your vehicle is banned permanently - you are seen by one of the rare police controls and you get fined or a warning
2. you are on a pollution day - there are quite a few in the winter, you are in a zone concerned, you are seen by one of the rare police controls and get fined

Your problem is knowing where zones 1 and 2 actually are (ZFE, ZPA etc), what the details are and knowing when they are operating. Often the first I know about (2) is when I'm already on the auto-route and there is an overhead sign showing.

It is a scam basically, a protection racket.
snow report
And resurrecting this thread as well Happy

Unfortunately the Surf died. Blown head gasket and cracked head. I still have it, but it is now a long term restoration project as I have a few other mods I would like to make to it.

In the meantime I bought myself a first gen (2006) Porsche Cayenne as a tow/mountain/offroad car Happy

Which is a 4.5 litre V8 and has a CritAir raiting of.......... 2

So looks like I should be OK Happy
latest report
Driving down to Val D’Isere in Feb. How necessary are these in reality for a week away? Thanks for any advice.
ski holidays
@Page23, they're up there with reflective jackets, breathelysers, spare bulbs and everything else. Chances of being checked close to zero, but for a few euros why risk it?
snow conditions
I bought one for my trip to Tignes in December.

On the way back I booked an Ibis near Reims which turned out to be close enough to the city centre to take me into a restricted area. Google maps alerted me to the fact when I keyed in my destination.

I was not challenged and I think it unlikely for that happen. I think the problem could arise however if you were stopped for some other motoring issue and you could end up having all your documentation checked.

Anyone concerned might try Google maps by entering a stop or stops en route even if you do not intend using them.
snow report
Thanks, that’s helpful. How long do they take to come through once ordered?
snow conditions
@Page23, When you order from the official site you will receive an email detailing your payment and the registration number it is for. A print of the email will be sufficient until your actual sticker arrives.

As I recall, they are for urban areas, but are not required when on an autoroute through an urban area (e.g. Chambery, Lille, etc). I await correction.
ski holidays
@Page23, It's a while since I've ordered one, but less than a week I think.
snow report
Nemisis wrote:

As I recall, they are for urban areas, but are not required when on an autoroute through an urban area (e.g. Chambery, Lille, etc). I await correction.

The 6 lane highway that passes through the center of Chambery is the N201 which is a route nationale.

Back to the question. You currently (AFAIKS) have two types of zone: ZFE and ZPA,

A ZFE is a permenant exclusion for certain classes of vehicle and generally covers an area such as a town center (in the case of Chambery) or Grenoble including a number of peripheral communes. It excludes grands axes such as the A41 or N201. If you live in a ZFE and have an older vehicle you can no longer use it (well in theory, there are currently almost no controls but things like speed cameras will begin to be used to check for critair too)

A ZPA is a temporary exclusion area but includes all roads in the area. So the ZPA for Grenoble also includes the autoroutes. It may be stricter than the ZFE in who can drive. There may be more controls. As @richjp says, if they stop you for one thing they may decide to go through the lot if the gendarmerie want to be difficult and it could get expensive.
ski holidays
@Page23, I bought my one last October in readiness for a trip in December, it came through within about 7 to 10 days from memory.
as others have said you may not need it, but its only a few euros for peace of mind.

to be honest, I don't even know how it is enforced, does anyone here know??

I do not believe there are cameras monitoring the zones such as ULEZ/congestion and clean air zones in the UK, so it must be down to visual inspection, I.E. parking attendants, but I could be wrong!!
snow report
Thanks all. I now have one.

I note the sticker is requested to be displayed in the bottom RHS of the windscreen. I’d prefer it on the LHS. Anyone know how strict this positioning is?

Thanks.
snow report
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
Page23 wrote:
Thanks all. I now have one.

I note the sticker is requested to be displayed in the bottom RHS of the windscreen. I’d prefer it on the LHS. Anyone know how strict this positioning is?

Thanks.

They are very clear about position of the sticker. They even made a video:

http://youtube.com/v/xWd0N_ip9EI

My view is put it in the correct place or the bin.
snow report
Surely the positioning is specified that way because on the continent that is the passenger side.

I would be amazed if having it on the other side was an issue.
latest report
HilbertSpace wrote:
My view is put it in the correct place or the bin.

Yeah but it's only there because it's the passenger side of a LHD car. It's not an appropriate place for a RHD car so Monsieur Le Plod can do one.

I put mine in the "correct" place and it irritated the eff out of me so I ripped it off and got another one that is now in an old school tax disc holder so I can move it if plod is doing an inspection and then take it off completely when in the UK.
ski holidays
I contacted Certificat-air directly. Here was their response:

Hello,
Yes, you can stick it anywhere on the windscreen of the vehicle
Cordialement,

Le service de délivrance des certificats qualité de l'air.

www.Certificat-air.gouv.fr

As such, I’ve placed mine in the lower left corner of the windshield (RHD car).
snow report
At present someone driving in France and Germany should have Crit'air and the German equivalent. Wouldn't it be good if the two could be treated as the same - somehow, I don't see that happening.
latest report

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy