Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

what to take driving

Poster: A snowHead
Superglue. Had to stick together my shades in switzerland one and superglue cost an arm and a leg there
snow conditions
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Being old and old fashioned I wouldn't go without a full size spare wheel and a map. Several visitors to my apartment have been led astray by their sat navs in the mountains.

Talking books make a huge difference. I'm sad I won't be doing that drive again, probably ever, having done it so often, usually as the sole or main driver.
latest report
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Does petrol(gasoline) cars also have problems of freezing up in the alps ?
I have 3 trips planned to Austria and France this winter and will go by car(petrol) for the first time.
snow conditions
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
@AndreSilva, Petrol has a much lower freezing point than Diesel you could take petrol to the Arctic and it'll start (unless the cold screws the electrics up).
ski holidays
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
James77 wrote:
@AndreSilva, Petrol has a much lower freezing point than Diesel you could take petrol to the Arctic and it'll start (unless the cold screws the electrics up).

Awesome, shouldn't be a problem Toofy Grin
latest report
 You'll need to Register first of course.
Yes I take a map, not a paper one but one on my phone, but TBH I haven't looked at it for a ski trip for over 15 years on the journey. I tend to memerise the route in advance. I have the same map when flying, however, so that doesn't count anyway.

Sadly my wife and son hate me having the stereo on in the car especially with a story being read out so I have a single earphone in my ear when driving and headphones while resting in the back. I think my wife would like a car without a radio at all but then she likes the spoken directions from the sat nav which I always turn off. Do other people have disputes about how the car is set up between drivers?

I think I misundestood the original post about what extra you would take driving as opposed to flying. I assumed it was about extra luxuries you would take with you rather than IMHO essentials especially for driving such as a snow shovel to dig the car out att he end of the trip (make sure it was a metal handle and blade rather than plastic). An ice axe is also useful for breaking up the ice that builds up at the side of the car when parked at the side of the road.
snow report
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
@AndreSilva, Never had a problem with diesel either. The additives already included in the fuel at winter have served me well down to -25. The only problems I have heard have was a friend who rented a car in Venice for the Dolomites. In Italy different areas added the anti waxing agent to the fuel, or in Venice's case didn't. This is not the case in France, Germany or Austria where all fuels are treated. Actually I don't know about LPG Sad

As others have pointed out the battery may be the weak point. Cold affects the battery performance.
ski holidays
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
johnE wrote:
@AndreSilva, Never had a problem with diesel either. The additives already included in the fuel at winter have served me well down to -25. The only problems I have heard have was a friend who rented a car in Venice for the Dolomites. In Italy different areas added the anti waxing agent to the fuel, or in Venice's case didn't. This is not the case in France, Germany or Austria where all fuels are treated. Actually I don't know about LPG Sad

As others have pointed out the battery may be the weak point. Cold affects the battery performance.

Indeed battery can be a problem, that's why I replaced mine 1 month ago Cool
snow conditions
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
Quote:

Do other people have disputes about how the car is set up between drivers?

Nope. Driver chooses. One of the good things about doing that drive alone - you can indulge yourself. Sebastian Barry's "Time Without End", brilliantly read on Audiobooks, was my all time favourite journey accompaniment. I recall driving into an aire (I am pretty strict about stopping every two hours) and sitting in the car for a few minutes listening to it, reluctant to switch it off.
latest report
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
johnE wrote:
Do other people have disputes about how the car is set up between drivers?

I used to wear headphones to listen to music while everyone else slept (driving overnight) but wife said it was dangerous and kept moaning so I had to ditch the idea. So now we have to drive in silence and I have to work harder to stay awake.
snow conditions
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
That's unreasonable, @Layne. Give her earplugs. Evil or Very Mad
ski holidays
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
Crikey I feel unprepared I don't even check the washer fluid or tyre pressures.
ski holidays
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
@pam w, +1
latest report
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
James77 wrote:
<shrug>Perfectly prepared. Tyre pressure monitors a legal requirement and every petrol station has washer fluid.

If it's a rental I have a cheapo stick-on mobile phone holder I take, plus usb lead, so I can avoid paying for a sat nav if it's a chargeable item.
snow report
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Maps can be quite bulky and hard to justify, but if you’re heading to a chalet with an open fire they can be handy.

Can anyone one help with a query on hire cars, why would you get both the extra insurance and winter tyres!
ski holidays
Winter screenwash: it's probably a good idea to empty the screenwash reservoir before adding the cold weather brew, otherwise the summer blend dilutes the winter.
Then use the washers (front and rear) to flush out the summer mix before arriving in colder places. It's not that different from John E's comment about summer/winter diesel.
ski holidays
@jbob, what extra insurance?
ski holidays
So have I got this right, don’t use diesel in the windscreen washer, only petrol.
snow report
philwig wrote:
James77 wrote:
<shrug>Perfectly prepared. Tyre pressure monitors a legal requirement and every petrol station has washer fluid.

If it's a rental I have a cheapo stick-on mobile phone holder I take, plus usb lead, so I can avoid paying for a sat nav if it's a chargeable item.

Tyre pressure monitors are NOT a legal requirement for cars that were manufactured before the regulation. I dislike this sort of blanket statement that can send all sorts of hares running, and people worrying.
snow report
My car certainly doesn't have tyre pressure monitors, but I do have a pressure gauge in the glove pocket. I also find that when the weather is dirty, you get through a HUGE amount of washer fluid - I'd always check the reservoir was full before starting.
latest report
zikomo wrote:
... Tyre pressure monitors are NOT a legal requirement for cars that were manufactured before the regulation. I dislike this sort of blanket statement ...
<laughs> You had to twist my words pretty hard to get them to something you dislike.
snow report
jbob wrote:
So have I got this right, don’t use diesel in the windscreen washer, only petrol.
That would solve the tailgating issue. Once I did put anti freeze in the washer bottle because my language skills were a bit suspect and that had a similar effect on following cars.
latest report
philwig wrote:
zikomo wrote:
... Tyre pressure monitors are NOT a legal requirement for cars that were manufactured before the regulation. I dislike this sort of blanket statement ...
<laughs> You had to twist my words pretty hard to get them to something you dislike.

How so? You said "tyre pressure monitors a legal requirement". A very positive and succinct statement that may give the impression that you know what you are talking about.

The statement is untrue. You are wrong, and clearly have no particular knowledge or expertise in the subject. Or you would not make such sweeping and incorrect statements.

I am sorry to say I cannot find any way that I have had to "twist your words" to find something I dislike. I have explained what I dislike, in a non-personal manner (I did not criticise you as a person in any way, simply my dislike for blanket statements that are not true). I have, again, pointed out what you said and how it is untrue. No twisting involved.
snow report
Bad day @zikomo, or are you always on edge
snow report
re the Spare Winter Tyre item in my list: a bit tongue-in-cheek on my part. Winter tyres are manufactured in the autumn for the following winter, to be distributed as stock for the late autumn change-over. By Jan/Feb, any particular brand/model may be in quite short supply. So in my case, I take an old winter as a spare. But just the tyre, not the wheel. This on the basis it's much easier to ask a French/Swiss tyre place to fit my spare tyre rather than to source it, which may be difficult, and involve a 24h-48h wait. It sits on the folded-down rear seat and takes up relatively little space and is in fact quite handy for all those miscellaneous loose items we throw in at the last minute.

Last edited by Ski the Net with snowHeads on Tue 8-09-20 17:56; edited 1 time in total
ski holidays
@LaForet, blimey, that is what I call covering every base.
latest report
Quote:

This on the basis it's much easier to ask a French/Swiss tyre place to fit my spare rather than to source it

trouble is that, as stated above, they will insist on having matching tyres on each axle, so they might well refuse to fit your spare tyre. We carried an old, but still fully legal, winter tyre on a wheel, so when the need actually did arise one day, I was able to put the spare on myself (a dirty job as it was in a cage under the back of the car) and take the punctured tyre for a very cheap repair.
snow report
@Layne It never occurred to me until one of the threads on a car owner's forum had postings by people who'd had to hang around for a day or two to get a replacement winter while en route to/from The Alps.

Plus there's the established principle, statistically 100% proven, that if you make provision for something like this, then it'll never happen. Whereas if it's pointed out to you as a risk and you don't make provision, it's bound to happen Madeye-Smiley
snow conditions
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
LaForet wrote:
@Layne
Plus there's the established principle, statistically 100% proven, that if you make provision for something like this, then it'll never happen. Whereas if it's pointed out to you as a risk and you don't make provision, it's bound to happen Madeye-Smiley

I will agree with that ! Thats whay I am worrying about chains now...my car manual say you can't fit them so I am looking at the front fitting ones...but they are 5 fortunes and in the last 7 years I only had to put chains on once ...so do I bite the bullet and buy or take a chance...i will keep on looking on the Bay for a bargain!! Puzzled Puzzled
snow report
no point buying them in September - might as well wait. Would socks fit?
snow conditions
ski holidays
@Weathercam, plus cable ties, hammer and a condom. If the first 3 won't fix it, f**k it! Toofy Grin
snow conditions
@DaveD, Modern cars don't generally accept traditional chains sadly so you have to buy the very expensive side fitting ones.

I got mine from roofbox and they're very easy to fit. I can either sellnthrm in future or more likely they'll fit other SUVs I buy.
latest report
@DaveD Same with my car re needing front-fitting chains. I went for the Spike Spider EASY - although they were £300 I realised that they're adjustable to a far wider range of tyre sizes than the cheap ones I'd bought in the past. If I'd bought these 3 cars ago they'd have transferred, instead of ending up with three different chain sets in the garage.

Note that the sometimes poorly-translated manuals with these front-fitters will 'suggest' you fit them before travel. This may actually be essential, not just desirable: with mine, I had to spend about ½ hour per chain to adjust the links to the specific size of tyre on my car. Tip: adjust/test fit on the spare wheel (if you have one) first, where it's much easier, before test-fitting on the actual car.

Last edited by You need to Login to know who's really who. on Tue 8-09-20 21:05; edited 1 time in total
ski holidays

No one has mentioned these two essentials.

Plus if you put your chains on at calais you’ll save a bomb in fuel driving at 30mph and be prepared in advance if it does snow.
snow report
Nobody has mentioned 2 tins of dog food with ring pull lids. If you get stuck for days in a snow storm eat the dog food. You won’t munch through it on a benign day like you would with Chunky KitKats.

Then again I might not be entirely serious. FFS it’s 8 hours down a motorway (more or less).
snow conditions
@LaForet, What do you mean by front fitting chains? All chains should be fitted to front wheels even on a 4x4, do you mean side fitting chains?

I have Polaire grip and I hope I get to use them in the alps this winter!
ski holidays
https://www.rac.co.uk/drive/travel/driving-abroad/checklist/

https://www.theaa.com/european-breakdown-cover/driving-in-europe/driving-in-france
snow report
@James77,
Quote:

All chains should be fitted to front wheels even on a 4x4

Not on my last X3
BMW X3 Manual wrote:
It is only permissible to use them in pairs and on the rear wheels.
snow conditions
@Timc, wow learn something new. What an odd system particularly as the 4wd system is the same most manufacturers use. I would have thought that was dangerous more grip on the rear = car facing the wrong way, clearly not in an X3.

Hey ho. Sure its tried and tested.
ski holidays

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy