Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

what to take driving

Poster: A snowHead
@harrim51, Easy way to avoid this, stay somewhere with an underground car park. Hopefully will be back at Le Panoramic in February (although hope is dwindling) and there in underground parking.
ski holidays
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
rob@rar wrote:
LaForet wrote:
... go to the official French Govt website (I think it's https://certificat-air.gouv.fr/en/demande-ext/cgu but you need to double-check).
Thanks for the link, I think I should probably get one of these things now.

I've never bothered because we drive down the motorway into resort and out again. Plus IME the French themselves don't bother with a lot of this stuff. Plus I can do quite a good impression of a dumb tourist.

But.... so you get the sticker.... and then what....?

The website says "Air Quality Certificates are mandatory for driving in restricted traffic zones introduced by certain authorities or for driving when the prefect introduces emission-based traffic restrictions during certain pollution episodes." But if everybody got a sticker then it wouldn't make any difference right, there would still be the same number of cars/pollution? Or is there something on the sticker that says if you can/can't drive in that area, at that time? As a 2013 Diesel car owner would I be refused to go into that area whether I had a sticker or not.

I do go to look at the FAQ page but it says "An error has occurred. The page does not exist or has been moved." !!
latest report
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
@Layne, The FAQ section works fine in French.

The sticker has a number on it representing the emissions class of the car, if pollution is bad then only ones with lower numbers are allowed to drive in the affected area.
snow conditions
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
You need to Login to know who's really who.
@Layne, https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Crit%27air
ski holidays
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Doing the simulation on the website our car would be "Yellow – Crit’Air 2" which seems quite good - first of the categories after Electric and Hybrid.

So if I am reading it right if temporary restrictions were put in place this would likely enable is to continue. I think the chances are still very slim us needing it and getting stopped - especially at the minute. On the other cost is miniscule in the grand scale of things. Mmmmm....
latest report
 You'll need to Register first of course.
You'll need to Register first of course.
@Layne, The road into Grenoble has these restrictions every now and then. Im not sure if iit would make getting to resorts like Les 7 Laux or even Alpe d'Huez difficult. Oddly they still allow wood burning stoves even when the air quality in the Isere valley is very poor.
snow report
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
@Layne, Modern petrol cars are category 1.

I could see Chambéry enforcing restrictions if pollution was bad. Driving past Grenoble requires one and they are valid for Geneva too.
ski holidays
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
always29 wrote:
As @pam w... and at least one pre-frozen meal to make things easier on arrival.

But isn't that simply a "frozen meal"? Puzzled Toofy Grin
snow conditions
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
Ah no, @pam_w is no doubt referring to a meal prepared at home and deliberately frozen in the domestic freezer for transportation to the resort. A merely frozen meal would be one that was stored, unfrozen, in the roofbox and then inadvertently frozen in transit thanks to the cold weather, which might be in a dubious state when defrosted, or look unappetising after mutiple cycles of freezing and thawing. So it's pre-frozen for me every time - none of this "What's this? It's brown. And slightly viscous." / "Ah, that would be the steak and kidney pie...."
latest report
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
Ski the Net with snowHeads
Quote:

I always take a brush to clear snow off the car after heavy snowfall

Good point - and good to have a shovel, too.
ski holidays
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
pam w wrote:
Quote:

I always take a brush to clear snow off the car after heavy snowfall

Good point - and good to have a shovel, too.

Pre-shovelling, no doubt! Toofy Grin
snow report
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
LaForet wrote:
Ah no, @pam_w is no doubt referring to a meal prepared at home and deliberately frozen in the domestic freezer for transportation to the resort. A merely frozen meal would be one that was stored, unfrozen, in the roofbox and then inadvertently frozen in transit thanks to the cold weather, which might be in a dubious state when defrosted, or look unappetising after mutiple cycles of freezing and thawing. So it's pre-frozen for me every time - none of this "What's this? It's brown. And slightly viscous." / "Ah, that would be the steak and kidney pie...."

Oh. I see. So we have been incorrectly calling that big white thing in the kitchen a "freezer" for all these years, instead of its correct name of "pre-freezer."

It looks like Captain Birdseye has been doing a lot of inadvertent (pre) freezing over the years wink
snow report
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
It appears that the previous practice of having a hot meal pepared when you arrive at your destination by attaching components of the meal to parts of the car engine prior to arrival has now fallen out of favour. Our motorcycle club used to have an annual cooking competition where you could only use your motor bike engine and exhaust pipe to cook the meal.
latest report
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
johnE wrote:
It appears that the previous practice of having a hot meal pepared when you arrive at your destination by attaching components of the meal to parts of the car engine prior to arrival has now fallen out of favour. Our motorcycle club used to have an annual cooking competition where you could only use your motor bike engine and exhaust pipe to cook the meal.

Very Happy Very Happy
snow conditions
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Bergmeister wrote:
LaForet wrote:

Oh. I see. So we have been incorrectly calling that big white thing in the kitchen a "freezer" for all these years, instead of its correct name of "pre-freezer."

It looks like Captain Birdseye has been doing a lot of inadvertent (pre) freezing over the years wink

au contraire: because unless your are enduring Siberian levels of impoverishment at home, there is no ambiguity - you can only be pre-freezing stuff as there's no chance of involuntary home freezing, unlike the drive down to the Alps case. So you can drop the 'pre' for your fish fingers. Unlike the Alps case, where @pam_w is dispelling any inherent ambiguity. Context is everything and as @Mma_Ramotswe would say 'This is well known.'
ski holidays
James77 wrote:
@Timc, wow learn something new. What an odd system particularly as the 4wd system is the same most manufacturers use. I would have thought that was dangerous more grip on the rear = car facing the wrong way, clearly not in an X3.

Hey ho. Sure its tried and tested.

I would always put chains on my rear wheels, if the fronts stop steering it's not the end of the world as you can stop as the chains will give you rear end grip, if the back wheels lose grip on a turn your vehicle can do a u turn very easily regardless of what the front wheels are doing, have you never done a handbrake turn ? Obviously this only applies to rear wheel or four wheel drive vehicles.
latest report
Quote:

as @Mma_Ramotswe would say 'This is well known.'

Is this the first Snowheads reference to the highly to be respected No 1 Ladies Detective Agency?
ski holidays

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy