Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

What do I need to know about snowboards?

Poster: A snowHead
@Layne, test one, probably the best ride you will get on a board
ski holidays
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Looked at the reviews and Erik has a problem.... "A white bottom? Looks horrible in photos"

To be fair it sounds like a great board although at £520 new I am not sure I'll even be buying one second hand for my teenagers.
ski holidays
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
@Layne, bought it second hand, one season old for £300 ish
latest report
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
you could go for a TRS
Thought Lib Tech & Gnu was the same factory?
One is hand finished, the other factory finished, or something like that?
snow report
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
@rayscoops, I don't know either, but I do know that I now want it more than anything I've ever wanted...
snow conditions
 You'll need to Register first of course.
@Richard_Sideways, this is my board (without all the stickers) not sure exactly what he is taking about but riding it explains lots of things

http://youtube.com/v/y6-M0uKG8ZM

snow conditions
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Well, when I tried snowboarding for the first time, I had step on bindings and I really appreciated that I didn't have to spend half of the actual riding with the regular binding. But on the other hand, I rented the whole set, so I didn't have to look for the right boots and snowboard. I would say it's pretty individual.
snow conditions
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
Today I bought her a pair of these (fitted her nicely)

https://www.snowtraxstore.co.uk/snowboard-boots/4970-salomon-ivy-boa-sj-snowboard-boot-sterling-blacksterling-202.html

And the amazing Richard_Sideways has a board for her try.

Thanks for all the input, been very helpful
ski holidays
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
They are a good boot if they fit.
I had the male version str8jkt as i suffer terrible heel lift, however they was a bit to narrow for my liking
latest report
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
Ski the Net with snowHeads
Mr.Egg wrote:
They are a good boot if they fit.
I had the male version str8jkt as i suffer terrible heel lift, however they was a bit to narrow for my liking

Fit was good hence parting with money Happy.
snow report
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
Thats a very good choice (for reasons I wont bore you with ie. the str8tjkt system )

Last edited by snowHeads are a friendly bunch. on Mon 21-09-20 15:02; edited 1 time in total
ski holidays
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
Hi Smile
Since your daughter is starting with snowboarding, it is important to find the right boots for her, so she can board without pain.
It often happens, that different brands do have different sizing. Since she probably will carry on growing, the size is really important.
I myself got my first pair of boots when I was 12, so my parents didn't spend as much money as I did on my last pair, because I stopped growing.
I found my perfect pair with help from https://www.outdoormeister.de/snowboardschuhe-test/.
It is a German site, but it is easy to translate with the right tools.

I hope, that you can find the right pair of boots for your daughter. Smile
latest report
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
@lordoftheboards, boots were bought at the weekend Happy
ski holidays
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
I know wrist guards have been discussed but I can't recommend the Level Fly gloves enough, they come with a unique wrist protection device which covers just the palm around the thumb area which protects against the most common snowboarding wrist break, the scaphoid bone, which I managed to do on my first trip. Used Level Fly's ever since and been absolutely fine. Also your daughter is now classified as Rad!

Last edited by You know it makes sense. on Mon 21-09-20 19:47; edited 1 time in total
latest report
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
@Minion1980, thanks will look into those
snow report
@NickyJ,

Amazon sometimes have level gloves cheap. Tk Maxx also did a few years back.
I did mention them on the last apge along with flexmeters
ski holidays
@Mr.Egg, thank you.
latest report
Level even say their wrist protectors don't stop wrist injuries, just decrease likelihood. Even their evidence for that is pretty flimsy. It's not hard to do a cadaver study to demonstrate how effective they are, but I suspect they know the results will be the same as other cadaver studies looking at wrist guards wrist guards (i.e. they don't work).

I'm not even sure wrist injuries are that common. Look at the Colorado snowboard injury survey. In 10 years surveying 47 medical facilities around the Colorado ski resorts they had 1486 wrist injuries (includes sprains, dislocation, and breaks). Sounds like a lot but some of those resorts have days with over 5000skiers, multiply that by the long season 7 months for some resorts, and then by the 10 years the study was conducted over. You are looking at a tiny percent of snowboarders suffering wrist injuries.

The ronning study found wrist injury (fracture or sprain of the wrist with loss of range of motion and pain of at least a 3-day duration) was about 1 per 100 snowboarders not wearing any wrist protectors. The study found beginners (first 5 days on a snowboard) were much higher risk. So realistically the rate of rate of injury is far lower than 1% when you take out beginners, of which ops daughter is not (as defined by the study).

There is also the question of if a wrist protector is sufficiently strong enough to prevent wrist fracture is the injury just transferred higher up the arm. Similar concept to ski boots, which make ankle sprains almost impossible, but we just see leg fractures and ACL injury instead.

If she's on a dry slope wrist protectors may be a good idea to stop friction burns. In the long run it might create bad habits though, the idea is not to put hands down when you fall.
snow conditions
had fractured lunate and thorn ligaments in my left wrist, after I lost balance in the air (to much speed on a kicker, freaked out, rest is history), it was 6 years ago, no pain, regained strength, but mobility is not the same, lost like 40 degrees. My girlfriend also had injured wrist, radius broke off clean, ligaments were saved, 8 weeks in cast and wrist is like new. None of us at the moment had wrist protection of any kind, both bought level gloves after accidents. Would they have helped? I believe so, at least in my case, were impact was mixed with torque. Wrist is full of small bones, ligaments, healing takes long time. I take 5 broken radiuses over thorn ligaments.
snow report
@boarder2020,

It can be to easy to say fall right. Thats not always possible, which is usually when injuries happen.
Agree about wristguards can cause injury further up.
Level guards protect the palm of your hand.
Flexmeters flex at the wrist to help combat the normal stiffness from wrist guards.
latest report
surgeon in BSM claimed he participated in a study, where they were trying to evaluate which wrist guards are the best, don't know more details, only he claimed flexmeters d3o are the best.

wrist guard moves fracture from wrist? I take that. Straight bone heals fast and easy. Joints, especially small ones, ligaments heal long time and not without consequences.
latest report
I am quite thankful I played rugby because you protected the ball in your arms when you were tackled (fall) and this stops the reaction that I see some boarders do in putting their hands out to stop a fall.

That said, if I am on a steep icy slope on toe edge I will put my had out if I feel the edge slipping, more for balance than stopping a fall.

I think falling is something you need to work at, and I had lots of practice as a learner Smile
snow report
A lot of people get hung up on helmets and wristguards by taking the arguments to extreme. Will this helmet protect me if Jupiter collides with the earth while I'm smashing into a tree at most of the speed of light?

A set of wrist guards cost £10 from amazon, slide on easily over the gloves if bought correctly and turn something that could result in a slightly sprained wrist into nothing at all, while enhancing the rider's confidence and looking slightly dorky. Padded shorts cost £13.88 from amazon, should fit under most skiwear and keep you dry if you're not learning in a modern manner and stop any accumulation of little sit-down bumps from building up into unpleasant bruising on day 3 while feeling slightly hot, bulky and scratchy.

If you're slamming hard enough to do real damage in the first few days then you're either doing something your instructor told you not to or your instructor doesn't know what he's doing.
snow report

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy