Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Finland’s ski resorts struggle, as skiers resist high costs

Poster: A snowHead
Poster: A snowHead
Ski resorts in northern Finland are reported to be struggling for business and profitability due to the high costs of travelling by train or car from the south of the country.

Finnish skiers also find that accommodation and food costs exceed their budgets. Local businesses are complaining that holidaymakers bring their food with them and spend little in the resorts.

Some families are finding cheap flights to the Meditteranean a more attractive proposition.

This report from Helsingin Sanomat.

Ever skied in Finland? How did you rate it in terms of value?
latest report
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
David Goldsmith, MrsS skied in Saariselka, Finland just about in the Arctic Circle in January. Daylight from 10 or so till 14 or so I think, but floodlit. Excellent snow. Limited for Alpine but best known as a Nordic skiing resort anyways. Also reindeer sleigh rides and steaks, husky sledding (great fun) and the chance to see the Aurora Borealis (didn't). Lots of other non-skiing natural and cultural attractions. Expensive and involved to get there and a little expensive to be there, but a unique experience.
latest report
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Big hike in the number of Fins in Chamonix the last couple of years. Or should that be 'FISH'? Little Angel
snow conditions
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
You need to Login to know who's really who.
We (myself, Hubby and our 11 year old girl) skied in Ruka Northern Finland in January, and a couple of weeks later Hubby went to Yllas which is actually within the Arctic Circle. Admittedly it was low season, but was still fairly pricey. We were half board so only had to buy lunch in the mountain restaurants, and they were much better value than McDonalds! The food provided in the Hotels was excellent, and there was lots of it so excellent value for money there too. Souvenirs were pricey (but aren't they always!) and so were the excursions-it cost us almost £100 for the 3 of us to have a ride on a snowmobile (at night under an amazingly clear starry sky) and a hotdog in a wilderness cabin! The whole thing barely lasted 2 hours, but it was an experience our Daughter will never forget, and most of her friends will never get to do that in their lifetime, so how can you put a price on it?

So yes, it might be more expensive, but the resorts are quieter, small to nonnexistant queues, and just a wonderful experience all round! (Although not great if you don't like the cold-it was -30 when Hubby got to Yllas and didn't get much warmer the whole week he was there-fortunately we all like the cold!!)

You can keep your cheap flights to the Med-doesn't hold any appeal to me whatsoever. If you just fancy a break, then yes, grab a good deal, but if you want an amazing holiday with experiences that will stay with you for a lifetime (like watching wild Reindeer grazing under the chairlift) then Finland is definately at the top of my list.
snow report
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Quote:

it cost us almost £100 for the 3 of us to have a ride on a snowmobile (at night under an amazingly clear starry sky) and a hotdog in a wilderness cabin! The whole thing barely lasted 2 hours, but it was an experience our Daughter will never forget, and most of her friends will never get to do that in their lifetime, so how can you put a price on it?

That doesn't sound bad value, really. An hour or so out on the snowmobiles after the lifts close, in our small French resort, costs around 60 euros a vehicle, and no hot dogs provided as far as I know. £30 a head for a fantastic evenings's entertainment? You could spend that on quite an ordinary meal in quite an ordinary UK restaurant. And if you take a family to Warwick Castle, or a theme park, you can certainly kiss goodbye to £100.
snow report

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy