Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

One Australians view on Dry Ski Slopes

Poster: A snowHead
http://www.theeuroboys.com/images/gayarticle.gif

The above is an article in by some australian guys about the british dry slope scene.

It looks like they think we use them as resorts and stay for a week? Rather than find positives and show that we make the most of what we've possibly got they use it as an opportunity to slate us.
ski holidays
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
They got the view up side down as usual!

The article is quite offensive too highlighting the author's narrow view and lack of the general knowledge of the sport in this country.
ski holidays
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
I'd have thought a lot of that qualifies as fair comment. The bit about going on a budget airline is a bit wide of the mark but the basic premise that there's a lot of young people who only, or predominantly, use plastic is valid.
latest report
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
that is so typically Aussie that you have to laugh - bait the poms and slag them off for whinging when all they do in their squalid betsits in Earls Court is drink VB with their antipodean mates and whinge about how crap, cold, wet and expensive London is.

and sporting underachievement? he seems to gloss over one rather significant trophy that is ours for the next 3.5 years - it is obviously too painful to acknowledge that fact.

well if it is that bad over here, the guy should clear off back to Oz where the sun either gives you cancer, you get flooded by monsoon rain or (esp in Melbourne) the weather is, shock horror, often just as cold and wet. At least we have a lively multicultural urban culture and have an economy that is not going down the dunnie. And as for the boarding, the guy obviously has an inferiority complex deriving from knowing that all of the best ski resorts are on the other side of the world from his homeland and, in particular, that the hated poms have them on their relative doorstep.

it will always be this way - mutual affection demonstrated through barbs - like two schoolkids who fancy each other but who would rather throw insults in front of their mates than admit it.

don't you just love 'em??
snow report
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Now guys, as you know, I am not very good at this social interaction stuff, but this article is clearly a tongue-in-cheek wind-up, so you are just pretending to take is seriously, right? We Brits do it all the time to other nationalities, especially the French and the Ozzies, so enjoy when they lob one back.
I just wish I had written it myself. Hey Ho. Wink
ski holidays
 You'll need to Register first of course.
I don't think it is a wind up. The Aussies actually believe this rubbish they say about us poms - in the end, it is what defines them.

needs to be read with a wry smile though, I agree.
ski holidays
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Our press, engage in such below the belt antics? Surely not! Wink
http://www.buzzle.com/editorials/4-8-2004-52686.asp
http://www.intellectbooks.com/europa/number6/franco.htm
ski holidays
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
PG, Very interesting especially the second. Mind you I found myself actually feeling nausiated by the headlines from the Sun. I guess now they don't bother much with the French anymore as they've got asylum seekers/Romany from Eastern Europe to get upset about!

I think there is clear evidence that the sort of writing in popular newspapers (e.g. Sun, the Mail etc) does whip up anti-foreigner sentiment and lead to the rise of the BNP the UK Independence party etc and I think that more control of the press may be appropriate. The question is when is it free speech and when is it inciting racial hatred.

Back to the Aussies. They can be very tedious about how fabulous Oz is and how terrible the UK is to which I always want to say "well why don't you p*** off back there". Not terribly PC I know but if you want to live somewhere it doesn't do your case very much good to slag off where you now live. The aussies refer to us as "whinging poms" but when I travelled around Egypt it was the aussies that moaned about everything but we brits just got on with it. Anyway it's only words and I say Vive la difference!
latest report
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
The author probably feels his limited sex life is threated when people build artificial grass slopes. (No sheep).
snow conditions
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
"Bloody poms, always whinging, never satisfied, I mean, that's all they go on about, just maon moan moan, can't they ever come up with anything decent to say, always whinging, we get them over to OZ and they just whinge about the heat and the flies and just whinge and when we come over to London we mention the fact that it's a bit cold and damp and they just whinge about us and because all they ever do is whinge and......."
snow report
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
How can you tell that plane that just landed is full of Poms ?
When they shut down the engines, it goes on whining.
ski holidays
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
Chris Reed wrote:
PG,I think there is clear evidence that the sort of writing in popular newspapers (e.g. Sun, the Mail etc) does whip up anti-foreigner sentiment and lead to the rise of the BNP the UK Independence party etc and I think that more control of the press may be appropriate. The question is when is it free speech and when is it inciting racial hatred.

The reason these papers are "popular" and whip up anti-foreigner sentiment, is because sadly there are many people in this country who have the mind set that keep them "popular". Much as we try and gloss over things and insist that we are by and large fair minded, significant parts of our society find their views polarized by the vile reporting in some of the tabloids.
latest report
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
kuwait_ian wrote:
How can you tell that plane that just landed is full of Poms ?
When they shut down the engines, it goes on whining.

Yes, that'll be the Ozzie cabin crew. Very Happy
snow report
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
The Aussies just never have forgiven us for those dreadful one piecers with arrows all over them!!!!!

So what did your great-great-great (etc etc) grandaddy do then????
ski holidays
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Whingey bugs- if they hate us so much - why do they all decamp over here and work in pubs?
Im boycotting Australia- we dont whinge- we just use words with more than 5 letters in and so it all sounds like a continuos noise to them
snow report
Quote:

The reason these papers are "popular" and whip up anti-foreigner sentiment, is because sadly there are many people in this country who have the mind set that keep them "popular". Much as we try and gloss over things and insist that we are by and large fair minded, significant parts of our society find their views polarized by the vile reporting in some of the tabloids.

Spot on I'm afraid. We made the mistake of going to Majorca last summer and saw a side of Britain that most of us like to pretend doesn't exist. People who won't even attempt to learn to say hello in Spanish and infact would prefer to stay at home if only the weather was better and not have to eat this foreign muck etc etc etc and Oi! Daygo! bring me a beer. Made me very ashamed to be British and rather than thinking that we are somehow superior to the rest of Europe feeling that as a race we can be so narrow minded, ignorent and arogant, and that I'd like to live somewhere else in Europe.

Rant over Twisted Evil
snow report
Chris Reed wrote:
Quote:

Spot on I'm afraid. We made the mistake of going to Majorca last summer and saw a side of Britain that most of us like to pretend doesn't exist. People who won't even attempt to learn to say hello in Spanish and infact would prefer to stay at home if only the weather was better and not have to eat this foreign muck etc etc etc and Oi! Daygo! bring me a beer. Made me very ashamed to be British and rather than thinking that we are somehow superior to the rest of Europe feeling that as a race we can be so narrow minded, ignorent and arogant, and that I'd like to live somewhere else in Europe.

Rant over Twisted Evil

And parts of the Alpes aren't going like this ? Very Happy

Parts of the PdS are exactly like this now. MGM can't sell apartments quick enough to these sorts of people. Some of the conversations you hear round the Grand Massif are hysterical. We have some charming neighbors in Morillon who are exactly like that, can't manage a single word of French in the local restaurant, signed a contract for the purchase they clearly didn't understand (note 1), can't grasp the local rules and byelaws, can't label their !@#$ing postbox so we get their mail, live their junk in the corridor outside my !@#$ing front door (note 2) etc etc etc.

If you think you’d be happier elsewhere in Europe you may be right but having left the country it’s especially offensive to come across this Very Happy

note 1 : however, they don't strike me as very literate so it may be a moot point.
note 2: and presumably have a collection of old fridges and sofas in their garden in Essex.
snow conditions
Chris Reed,

Luckily, not many of those people you are refering to would bother to come out in Winter to behave the same in the Alpes.
ski holidays
ise, I overheard an amazing conversation in a ski rental shop in Flaine from a late middle aged well spoken man who obviously couldn't speak a single word of French getting the person behind the counter to phone on his behalf someone who managed the apartment who (in the view of the Brit very unreasonably and he kept saying so) couldn't speak any English to sort out some problem or other (sorry about the long sentance - you can breath now). I can't imagine an English estate agent/property manager to be able to speak fluent French but somehow this man thought that in France they should speak English and how unreasonable it was that he got sent letters in France. Amazing Puzzled When will British people understand that if you want the advantages of owning property/living in/travelling to foreign countries you should make some effort yourself rather than assume your doing them a favour by visiting!

I don't know about anyone else I actually like trying to ask for things in French and going through the rather quaint sign language and I only visit France for about four days a year. If I was there more I'd learn more myself.

Second rant over snowHead
ski holidays
saikee, You are certainly right in general but still it happens and we think the French are arogant Puzzled
latest report
A lot of good points are ruined, as usual, by gross generalisations.

Anyway........back to the Aussies........... Razz
snow report
Quote:

A lot of good points are ruined, as usual, by gross generalisations.

All them? Or just a few spcific ones? Madeye-Smiley
snow report
Chris Reed wrote:
ise, I overheard an amazing conversation in a ski rental shop in Flaine from a late middle aged well spoken man who obviously couldn't speak a single word of French getting the person behind the counter to phone on his behalf someone who managed the apartment who (in the view of the Brit very unreasonably and he kept saying so) couldn't speak any English to sort out some problem or other (sorry about the long sentance - you can breath now). I can't imagine an English estate agent/property manager to be able to speak fluent French but somehow this man thought that in France they should speak English and how unreasonable it was that he got sent letters in France. Amazing Puzzled When will British people understand that if you want the advantages of owning property/living in/travelling to foreign countries you should make some effort yourself rather than assume your doing them a favour by visiting!

I don't know about anyone else I actually like trying to ask for things in French and going through the rather quaint sign language and I only visit France for about four days a year. If I was there more I'd learn more myself.

Second rant over snowHead

Funnily enough the guys from our management company do speak some English but only do so when you've managed some French Very Happy My own French is at the minimum level to get by really, I understand more than I speak and I frequently meet people in France and Switzerland who have the same level in English so I have a lot of conversations where I'm speaking 70% English and they're speaking 70% French to me.
snow conditions
As an Irishman I'm am neutral and maybe should act as a peace broker? This article is obviously tongue in cheek but there is an edge of bitterness. I think the reason for this might be a painful dryslope thumb injury picked up by the author Mad. This would explain his cursing of dry slopes (I'm no fan of them either)
ski holidays
Philip Prior wrote:
So what did your great-great-great (etc etc) grandaddy do then????
If a generation is 50 years , then Philip is asking after my namesake John who was preaching " A Faithful Warning to the Inhabitants of Great Britain and Ireland, to dread the LORD, and turn from their evil Doings, before his Fury break forth upon them, as an Overflowing Scourge."
It wasn't that long after John's death in 1723 that the Jacobite Rebellion very nearly fulfilled his prophecy.
latest report
He probably should have sucked it for a while before writing that, then.

[Erm, that was a reply to Peter Ross, not Jonpim]
snow report
PG wrote:
Our press, engage in such below the belt antics? Surely not! :wink:

French Bottom of European Class

The French have a reputation for arrogance that they can't shake-off but they have to face up to the fact that in many areas they are bottom of the European class. Their Euro deputies rarely turn up to parliament in Strasbourg, 14th out of 15 nations just ahead of Italy, little wonder that French is losing influence as a language. France is second from bottom ahead of Belgium for the breaking of European rules and regulations. A leader for the number of court cases against none respect of European directives. Vice champion in state aid just behind Germany. The breaking of the stability pact, the aid to prop up Alsthom and many other examples discredit France and its authority in Europe.

Where did I find this piece? The eurosceptic Times? The Daily Telegraph? No it was in Le Figaro a couple of weeks ago reporting on a document prepared for French euro-MPs by Jacques Floch, an MP in the Loire Atlantic region.
ski holidays
I read the original - the Figaro gives a particularly 'Figaro-style' slant to certain elements of the PS parliamentarian's original, lengthy report. They pick and choose the points that would sell best to their readership!

http://www.assemblee-nat.fr/12/europe/rap-info/i1594.asp#topofpage

Still, it's close enough to the truth..... even if you could take the UK and do an equally effective demolition job on their European track record!
snow report
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
PG wrote:
They pick and choose the points that would sell best to their readership!

It is certainly a right of centre, entreprise oriented readership.

PG wrote:

http://www.assemblee-nat.fr/12/europe/rap-info/i1594.asp#topofpage

Still, it's close enough to the truth..... even if you could take the UK and do an equally effective demolition job on their European track record!

[/quote]

The details of the report are pretty shocking really. Still at least France comes out close to top for one thing... getting civil servants employed at Brussels.

Let's just hope the Sun doesn't read this report! I wonder what they would run as the headline?

Last edited by You know it makes sense. on Thu 3-06-04 14:47; edited 1 time in total
ski holidays
Quote:

Let's just hope the Sun doesn't read this report! I wonder what they would run as the headline

probably something along the lines of "Frogs worst in Europe" or maybe that's too verbose for the readership... perhaps simply "Frogs Crap".
ski holidays
if it were the Germans they would write: Krauts Wurst in Europe

apologies to any German readers
latest report
davidof wrote:
Let's just hope the Sun doesn't read this report! I wonder what they would run as the headline?

No chance, I'm not sure that they can read English (remember "'It Was The Sun Wot Won It"????, let alone French..... though the editors probably watch the occasional French film (the kind without much dialogue...)

They were obviously very proud of this headline..... to save using the grey matter to excess, they came up with "It Was The Sun Wot Swung It" after the '97 elections, and after Bush Junior got in, "It Was The Son Wot Won It".....
snow report
Froggy Is Croaking ??
Frogs Spit On Europe ??
Garlic Breads Contempt ??
snow conditions
About that Snowboarder article: did anyone reply on the e-address provided? I did.
ski holidays
Quote:

though the editors probably watch the occasional French film (the kind without much dialogue...)

Like "M. Hulot's Holiday" perhaps????
ski holidays
I knew an IT director who worked for Murdoch and one of the lavatories in his house was papered with the headlines that didn't make it past their lawyers. Apparently the practice at the Sun was to get the sub-editors really well refreshed and then to challenge them to come up with the most offensive headline. They were all really funny but libellous. My favourite Sun headline was; Swedes 1 Turnips 0, with a picture of Graham Taylor as a vegatable, he's never looked as good IMHO.
latest report
News Flash ....... New sex aid for Aussie skiers just released.

http://www.flying-pig.co.uk/pagesv/ski.htm
ski holidays
Galls Sprout Brussels Rebellion??
ski holidays
snowball, some guys did at the adrenalin.net forums have done. The message sent to him I think is on page 3 of the following link (which is all about this article): Laughing

http://www.adrenalintrip.net/forums/viewtopic.php?siteid=1&topicdays=45&mode=viewtopic&topic=52580&forum=1&start=0
latest report

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy