Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Saalbach - Hinterglemm - Leogang - Fieberbrunn 2020/21 Official Unofficial Thread

Poster: A snowHead
I thought that, as it's the first day of autumn and there is definitely a change in the air, it's time to start a new thread. Anyone wanting to read about Ski Circus-related news, opinions and experiences over the last 12 months can click on the 2019/20 thread, but this one looks forward to the coming ski season.

I hesitated over the possibility of including Zell am See/Kaprun in the thread title (now that the Zell am See Express provides the option for Saalbach-Hinterglemm skiers of going "over the hill" to Zell, just as easily as skiing in Fieberbrunn and Leogang) but decided against it, on the basis that the Ski Circus, the Schmittenhoehe and the Kitzsteinhorn areas are still essentially regarded as separate ski resorts, albeit interlinked and on the same lift pass. If there is general disagreement, I can always amend the title.

I'm currently living in Saalbach and looking to buy a main residence here (but have no plans to dispose of our apartments). Like last year, it's as though someone has noticed that summer has technically ended and has switched a switch. It's beginning to feel distinctly autumnal. Saalbach has published its plans for the ski season - all predictable stuff about wearing masks in gondolas and lift stations, maintaining a sensible distance, and washing hands regularly. Restaurants will apparently have guidelines about distancing, screens and mask-wearing by staff. Apres-ski will be more "quiet and dignified", but more is to come about that. It has to be said that the summer tourist season has been quite busy but very relaxed, so far as covid-related restrictions are concerned. Apparently this particular area of Austria has been relatively fortunate in escaping new infections, so the general impression is that people do not seem worried.

Nice to be able to kick off with some good news. Apparently the rumours that one of our favourite village hostelries had had to close due to covid-related bankruptcy were completely false. Just as well that I didn't say any more about it. So it's business as usual - or at least nearly as usual - in all our haunts. Those who know "Spacey" will be glad to know that he's in good form and will be performing at the Crazy Deer's opening party this coming Saturday (the downstairs bar has been closed during the summer, but the upstairs restaurant and outside bar area, "the Hungry Deer", have until now been open for business).
latest report
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Hello.Thinking of going Leogang for half term 2021.3 males and 7 boys under 11.Is Leogang a good village and are the blue runs above there ok for kids on their 2nd ever ski trip?Went Hinterglemm in 2010 and skied down to Leogang but can't remember anything about the runs down or village.Any comments appreciated!
ski holidays
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
@harvey13, Yes, Leogang is a good choice. The runs are varied but predominantly blue and red, so ideal for second time skiers. The Asitz and Steinberg runs are each several kilometers long and very enjoyable. The Asitz run was once described in a newspaper article I read as "one of the best easy/intermediate runs in Europe". You can also easily access our favourite (7km) run in the area, blue piste 168, which leads to Viehhofen, from where you take the ski bus (every 10 mins, and a 10 min journey) up the Glemm valley to the Schoenleitenbahn, which takes you back in the direction of Leogang (just two chair lifts, and you're back at the top of the Asitz run.

You can also easily get over to Saalbach, entirely on blue runs. It should be within the ability of most second time skiers to get at least part of the way to Saalbach and have lunch over there before returning to Leogang.

The mountain restaurants at Leogang are some of the best in the area: the Alte Schmiede, the Asitzbraeu, the Hendl Fischerei, the Stoecklalm, the Forsthofalm and the Kralleralm. Also the Hecherhuette on the run down to Viehhofen.

Leogang is primarily north-facing, which makes for good snow. Can be a bit gloomy lower down in early season, but will be okay by half term.

If you would like a copy of my comprehensive guide to the Ski Circus, P.M. me and I'll email it to you.
snow conditions
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
Great stuff.Thank you, sounds perfect for our crew.
snow report
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
@tatmanstours, Where do you look for property in Saalbach?

All I can ever find is the daft timeshare rubbish.
snow conditions
 You'll need to Register first of course.
@NickYoung, It’s not easy, and there isn’t much available. Another problem is the zoning regulations: much of the property in reasonably central locations is in the “main residence” zone, so a house or apartment can only be purchased by a person who intends to live in it as their main residence (which means it can’t be rented to tourists).
The other categories are “secondary residence” (can be used as a holiday home or rented touristically), and tourist residence (must be rented out).
Secondary residences are becoming rare, and, at least in theory, are worth a lot more than main residence properties.
There are many estate agencies in the area, but probably Rightmove and Willhaben are the places to look.
snow conditions
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
@tatmanstours, Cheers!
latest report
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
Thinking of heading up to Saalbach area in the next few days for a bit of mountain biking, hiking etc. A few questions:
Should I be looking for a hotel in Saalbach or Hinterglemm?
Any recommendations? Reasonable quality but not bank-breaking. Half board or similar. Good food. Good access. Quiet at night (though obvs not much clubbing going on right now...). Joker card partner.
Any tips for activities? Gonna spend a couple of days on bikes, but probably another couple off them.

Cheers.
ski holidays
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
@Scarlet, might be best to give me a ring. See my website below for the number.
latest report
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
@tatmanstours, are you still on the UK no? Do you use WhatsApp?
snow report
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
@Scarlet, yes to both
snow report
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
@Scarlet, no idea what it is like, but this popped up in my feed a couple of days ago - https://www.hotel-theresia.com/the-resi/en - which is an interesting approach to getting over a difficult summer... Reviews of the main hotel have always been good, so I fully expect that they've done a really good job with this. Location is between the two villages, easy walk into the centre of Hinterglemm or a little longer down the riverside into Saalbach to admire the scenery
latest report
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
Here’s a link to Saalbach’s “Inside” magazine - in English as well as German:
https://www.saalbach.com/pdf/Bergbahnen/PDFs%20Drucksorten/INSIDE_Magazin_2020_WEB.pdf
latest report
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
Is 'doing a season' just something which doesnt really happen in S/H, at least for the UK market unless you are lucky enough to own property? Would it be prohibitively expensive or is it just that with few UK chalet style operators for jobs it never really became a UK go-to location? Having visited last year it would seem perfect (if a little challenging and rather tiring!).....they are proper towns with decent supermarkets, big ski area with other resorts nearby to visit, lots of studio/ apartment type accommodation, nightlife etc etc. Saw the Ski Miquel jobs advertised but that's about it. Most UK season type sites are France and in particular Morzine based. Seen people talking about living in Innsbruck, St Anton clearly has a market, as does Mayrhofen (and both tourist offices will send you a list of properties amenable to season bookings, something which doesnt exist with S/H). Or are we just looking in the wrong places?
ski holidays
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
@toyah807, Ski Miguel are the only chalet company in town, hotels do take on people for a season as do the ski shops, Sports Hagleitner certainly do.

A good starting point for jobs is the tourist office, check if the job comes with accommodation.
ski holidays
Brits do find jobs as bartenders and waiters, and “Mitarbeiter” accommodation - often a shared twin room - is invariably provided. My son came to Saalbach in late November, knocked on a few doors, and got a job as a waiter at a hotel. Didn’t like the hours so found another job as a kitchen assistant at a local restaurant. He described that as “living the dream” and kept that job for three consecutive winter seasons. He was also the envy of other seasonal workers, as he was paid a proper wage plus food and accommodation, and his shift was 2.00pm-10.00pm, allowing to ski in the mornings (and days off) and party into the night. He actually accumulated some savings, which is something he hasn’t managed to do since.

My second cousin came over to be a ski bum, was offered work as a ski instructor (no qualifications but a good skier), and used that as a springboard to get his Anwaerter and Landesschilehrer qualifications. He’s now one of the top 20% in Austria in terms of qualifications, and it only took from April to November in the same year. Not bad for someone who seemed at one stage to be content to simply lounge about when not skiing.

If you want to do seasonal work, and you don’t have a family member or friend with a spare room, there are various Saalbach Facebook groups, in which prospective employers will advertise. Just search on Facebook for “Saalbach”.
Also radar may well be right about the Tourist Information Centre.
Having said all that, I imagine that Brexit will now complicate things; no doubt a working visa will be needed, although I haven’t researched that particular aspect of Brexit, as it doesn’t affect me.
latest report
@toyah807, a couple of links for you

https://www.saalbach.com/en/service/jobs

https://saalbach.tourism.career/Jobs?culture=en
snow report
I have run a college trip to Saalbach, every January for at least a decade.

No decision made (officially), but the noises don't sound good for the college letting it run this year.

Gonna be well pee'd off, if not!
ski holidays
@tatmanstours, Many thanks for the link to the Saalbach "Inside" Magazine. I can never seem to find this on the Saalbach website for some reason.

Great to see an article on the new link between the Bernkogel and the Schattberg — that will be so helpful for lazy folks like me.

If you are in the mood one day @tatmanstours — or anyone else in Saalbach — perhaps you could be so kind as to do a short video of you walking from the Bernkogel down the new link to the Schattberg car park. I would be interested to see what changes they have made to the lower Bernkogel, where this new link starts. Or at least maybe a few good pixs would work as well.

Many thanks!
snow conditions
@radar, @tatmanstours thanks for the info and answers. I think we are coming at it more from the challenge of finding accommodation for the season and later working if required or the opportunity presented itself, so hopefully the issue re contracts may not be so. There seem several resorts and websites for France where we can find a quote of 'this property is available for the season for X thousand euros' and lamenting the fact that S/H would be a perfect place to find somewhere to do exactly that. Posted on here because i know there are people with brilliant local knowledge and insights on stuff like that, but i admit it is a more generic question so i will not clog up the resort info thread any further. I will post elsewhere or start a new thread if required.
snow report
@toyah807, another friend and fellow Snowhead contacted me a few days ago, wondering if I knew of any season-long accommodation for him and his girlfriend. You’re not the only one.
latest report
@toyah807, The tourist office maybe able to help with a season long accommodation, there are some Pensions that are geared towards season workers they may have details, there are also some pensions that have appartments they may do a deal, one that we walk past with apartments is https://www.pension-franziska.at, can't vouch for the service.

There is also season accommodation in Jausern, which is on the ski bus route, unfortunately I don't have any further info, the other alternative is to look in Maishofen, there is a regular bus (680) from there.

How could I not mention Viehhofen, it has it's own tourist office https://www.viehhofen.at/en and is on the ski bus route with a change
snow conditions
@radar, thanks again. Saalbach office replied with 'send us what you needs and we will forward it to all of our owners' which seems fairly sensible. Hadnt looked at the Viehhofen specific site, will do so.
latest report
Crystal have just moved Glasgow departures for our trip to Saalbach to Newcastle.
snow conditions
Looking to book Hinterglemm again this year and narrowed it down to a few hotels. Which is the best of the following?
Hotel Glemmtalerhof
Hotel Salzburg
Hotel am Reiterkogel
Alpin Jewel
I know apres will be very limited this year but we tend to go to the Schwartzacher and ski from the Reiterkogel every day, so I'm thinking the Am Reiterkogel is the best option. Going half board and no kids with us so nice food would be up the priority list.
snow conditions
The Bergstadl (opposite the Westgipfelbahn mid-station is a nice place for sundowners of an afternoon. The terrace is one of the last places to get the afternoon sun and it's got a great view. It also has less footfall, so you can always get a table, which could be handy this season. Hinterglemm is in a bit of a hole and it is not the warmest place for apres, especially the Schwarzacher! Once the sun has gone from the Bergstadl, the Schwarzacher is still going though.
latest report
Stayed in Hotel Salzburg a couple of years back. The service and food were both very good. They created an outstanding vegan menu for my daughter, which kind of points to properly skilled chefs.
ski holidays
Stayed at the Reiterkogel many times over the years, as it morphed from one of the oldest buildings in the village to a very modern, more upmarket hotel. It's a very well run establishment, in a great location, just perhaps just lacking in that traditional Austrian feel nowadays. Food was always good, perhaps these days aiming towards higher culinary experience rather than the traditional pile 'em high schnitzel and frites, so beloved of tired skiers. It's a good place to stay, I hope to return some day.
latest report
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
@JuanPlank, @Colinthc, @Klamm Franzer, thanks folks
ski holidays
Snowing in the Glemmtal snowHead and more to come over the next 4-5 days. It will of course all vanish again in the first Fohn of October, but on a cold and windy day in the Fens it still warms the cockles of my heart NehNeh

https://saalbach.panomax.com/wildenkarkogel?t=2020-09-25+15-50-00&r=151
snow report
Yes it’s currently snowing outside our window and forecast to get colder overnight.
ski holidays
tatmanstours wrote:
Yes it’s currently snowing outside our window and forecast to get colder overnight.
Just need the travel/uk quarantine situation to sort itself out and away we go Very Happy
ski holidays
My hopes for the travel/ quarantine situation to be sorted in time for a trip even in march are disappearing as fast as this snow will
ski holidays
There is currently a very jubilant, upbeat atmosphere here about this news:

Quote:
Saalbach awarded 2025 FIS World Alpine Ski Championships
https://www.fis-ski.com/en/international-ski-federation/news-multimedia/news/trondheim-and-saalbach-awarded-2025-fis-world-championships
latest report
My "Inside" magazine with order form for lift pass arrived today - getting excited now Very Happy However, my planned foot surgery (for March 2020) was delayed. Lucky to get it done in August. Just back at work this week, but still not able to get my ski boots back on. So count down to December is well and truly on! Must stay optimistic with regards to the pandemic and keep up with the physio! Just wondering if i should pull the trigger on a pair of the new Nordica rear entry boots??
ski holidays
New pictures from the Saalbach tourist board on the link from the Bernkogel to the Schattberg, you can see the piste coming out from the tunnel and then there is a congregation spot before it heads down hill and comes out between the two Hagleitner shops, there will also be the Gluhwine stand to squeeze in, the tents in the picture belong to Hagleitner

latest report
Quote:

there is a congregation spot

Is that where we say our prayers and maybe sing a hymn or two?
latest report
@tatmanstours, you start to pray as you see them congregating on the bend contemplating how to negotiate the next bit Toofy Grin
snow report
Booking the Hotel Salzburg for the end of January. God knows if it will happen or not but gives me a goal to get ski fit Very Happy
ski holidays
@boabski, you’re evidently not the only one being optimistic - we have seven weeks booked during Jan/Feb.
latest report

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy