Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

The founder of K2 skis - pioneer of fibreglass manufacture - dies at 87

Poster: A snowHead
Poster: A snowHead
The co-founder of K2 skis, Bill Kirschner, has died at the age of 87. One of the first to use fibreglass in the making of skis in the early 1960s, Bill Kirschner named his K2 business after the ‘two Ks’ – himself and his brother Don Kirschner (plus the mountain K2, of course).

Although other ski companies such as Kneissl (with its prestigious and expensive White Star) competed to use fibreglass from 1961, K2 essentially built their company with the revolutionary material. A factory was established on Vashon Island, near Seattle, where the Kirschner family’s other manufacturing interests were based.

In competition with the French brand Dynamic, K2’s manufacturing process was based on wrapping a wood core to produce a torsionally-rigid ‘torsion box’ ski construction.

This report from SkiPressWorld.
The history of K2 skis: HistoryLink.org

Ever bought K2 skis?
ski holidays
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Mrs H has just bought K2 Burnin' Luvs...
snow report
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
In that case, Ian, she can call one ski Bill and the other one Don - see above.
ski holidays
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
You need to Login to know who's really who.
David, they are orange and flowery - so I'm not sure that Bill and Don are appropriate names wink
ski holidays
 brian
brian
I've got a pair of Axis-X which have done me about 40 odd days now and have a bit of wear and tear to be fair Sad

Hoping that Doctor Stuart at Blues repair can work his usual magic but I think they may be relegated to rock ski position.

Great skis mind you snowHead
snow report
 You'll need to Register first of course.
You'll need to Register first of course.
The first K2s I ever bought were called 'Cheeseburger', with orange and yellow stripes right along the top surfaces. They stood up to some punishment, but literally disintegrated on the Solaise bumps above Val d'Isere in January 1976.

There were a lot of freestyle skis with mad names at that time.

I was lucky enough to visit the K2 factory on Vashon Island about 15 years ago (I think nearly all production has now transferred to China) when they involved everyone on the visit in the manufacturing process, so we all laid-up our own fibreglass and the other materials in the moulds before they went in the presses. That was a pair of TRCs, which were stolen about 2 weeks later in Les Deux Alpes!

Vashon Island must be the most interesting spot for a ski factory. You get there on a little ferry, a few miles from downtown Seattle. The island's in the middle of Puget Sound - aerial photo - and they must have been mightly unhappy to see the factory wind down.
ski holidays
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Puget sound is an interesting place. I remember visiting the USS Missouri (the battleship where MacArthur accepted the Japanese surrender in Tokyo Bay) in Bremerton dockyard on one of the islands in the 1990s. I think it's been moved to Pearl Harbor now though. For those into mountains (here? snowHead ) it's between the majestic Cascades and the rugged Olympic range. "Snow Falling on Cedars" by David Guterson is a novel (set in the 50s) set on a Puget Sound island which captures their feel well, with some fascinating historical detail.
snow report
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
Great skis: I've had KVC, Comp 90, Gyrator, TRC, would have some now, but too expensive! The Comp 90's lasted 7 years - that's plastic racing in summer and full snow seasons in winter. Is this a record?
snow conditions

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy