Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Overnight stop over - Feb half term (Calais-Samoëns)

Poster: A snowHead
Poster: A snowHead
I've trawled through 9 pages in this forum as sure this question must have been asked before.
We are joining the masses again during Feb '21 half term, for the drive down to the Alps.
Planning on getting to Folkestone Eurotunnel 9pm and then driving part way down the A26.
We usually stop in Reims, but this time we're thinking of pushing further down to Troyes.
I'll be the only one driving.
Does Troyes seem a step too far at that time of night, and if not, where is good value to stay close to A26/A5 ?
latest report
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
@jamie72carter, Assuming you get the 9pm shuttle, that will put you on the road @10:30pm French time and you will then hit Reims @1:00am and Troyes @2:00AM so its down to you whether you are happy driving at that time of night. Wont be much traffic though Very Happy . Welcome to snowheads.
snow report
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
We’ve done Troyes a few times and it just about works at that time of night. It’s a slog and the kids were noticeably more cranky than they were when we stopped at Reims. It did knock that time off in the morning though so was probably worth it if you can hack the drive and depending on age and sleep needs of your passengers. Chalons is a little bit further than Reims but whether that suits you or not.
snow report
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
You need to Login to know who's really who.
We do Troyes, in fact staying there this half term on the Friday night. Kyriad Troyes Centre Is fab and a reasonable price. Has secure parking and easy access to motorway.
latest report
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
This year we crossed at 0700 and stayed at (IBIS) Troyes and that was fine but we found we were waiting around and would rather have driven further as we arrived before 1500.

Next year (if we are allowed to go based on rising COVID cases in France) we have booked to stay in Bourg En Bresse.

The return leg we do in one go, Flexi Plus both ways works a treat.

We have 2 young kids but so rear head restraint entertainment system keeps them going.

Edit. Apologies reading your timings my post is irrelevant to you.
snow report
 You'll need to Register first of course.
You'll need to Register first of course.
@jamie72carter, Although it's tempting to get the miles out of your way, think carefully about whether you will be able to do a four hour drive on unfamiliar roads in potentially not great weather conditions after a day at work/packing for holiday etc.

We normally do the journey overnight but as there are two of us driving, we drive through the night, rather than stay anywhere (also to Grand Massif). We've done the journey many times, so I don't have to think about it. Normally, I happily do three hours. I wouldn't want to do more and importantly, sometimes I don't feel up to doing that much. Because there are two us, I'm never under pressure to drive further than I feel able to. You need to be sure that you will be able to do a four hour shift. Otherwise, don't put that much pressure on yourself. Samöens is an easy drive - you don't get the horrendous queues that afflict some resorts, so there is far less rush to avoid the traffic going into resort.

If I'm driving on my own, I use budget hotels in Chalons en Champagne, which is just past the A4/A26 junction.
snow conditions
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
I think if you stay in reims and you are up early 6/7 am with a picnic breakfast you will do Grand Massif quite easily and early in a decent turbo diesel.
latest report
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
@jamie72carter, you don’t say which day you are travelling but I assume Friday. Build in a 2 hour delay at Eurotunnel before you make your decision. If you have any way to get to Eurotunnel earlier I recommend doing so.

If you have had a full day at work Reims is far enough. It is just about right for doing in one hit (c. 2h30m).

The Saturday morning will be very busy with France (including Paris but fortunately not Lille/North), Belgium, Holland, UK all on holiday. In theory around 5 hours drive on the motorway and 30 mins to Samoëns once you turn off. I suggest adding 2 hours to that (could easily be more).

If can arrange Sunday-Sunday accommodation I would cross late afternoon Saturday, push on to Troyes for Saturday night and have a more relaxed journey.

Are you the only driver because no one else in the car can drive or because they don’t fancy it much? Other than when you turn off the motorway to head to Grand Massif it is ALL motorway. It makes a big difference if you can have a break, even an hour, on the dull motorway drag and it is a real doddle - pull onto motorway from slip road, remember to keep right unless you pull left to overtake, indicate right to access service area, park car. That’s all the other (potential) driver would need to do.

Above based on 15 years of Feb half term, now thankfully behind us.
latest report
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
Quote:

Are you the only driver because no one else in the car can drive or because they don’t fancy it much?

That's a good question. If possible, being able to swap driving does make life easier. Quite honestly, any driver who feels incapable of driving on French motorways ought not to be let loose on the M25! The trouble with half term drives is that you MUST book your accommodation well in advance I've done that drive a lot, often on my own, and knowing that you can stop if and when you need takes a lot of the pressure off. Sometimes I've made unplanned stops because of weather - fog being particularly lethal.
snow report
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
Ski the Net with snowHeads
@jamie72carter, I'd suggest an earlier crossing than 9pm or book FlexiPlus for the outgoing journey. How old are the kids? Can you pull them out at lunchtime? Until mine got to senior school we pulled them out to get a headstart. I am just in Wendover and do this journey summer and winter as we go to Les Carroz. I think @BergenBergen, makes a good point. We only ever push on past Reims in the winter, if we have had a lot earlier start and are aiming for Dijon(I no longer like to arrive at the bottom of the mtn road in the dark if there is a chance we have to put the chains on). This summer we did it in one go each way, with two drivers, and gorgeous conditions and little traffic, it was a pleasure. But last Xmas we booked into St Quentin as we did not have a Tunnel until later - due to having to wait for school to kick out. It was not a pleasant journey and the next day was the same, rain/sleet, wind, traffic all way and even with two drivers it was no fun.
snow report
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
Quote:

Sometimes I've made unplanned stops because of weather - fog being particularly lethal.

Hopefully not lethal. I had friends drive down to Les Arcs a few years ago in fog. The strain was such that they had to rotate drivers every 30 minutes to an hour and go very slowly. They made it safely but it took 13 hours from Calais instead of the usual 10. I think the fog cleared somewhere around Langres as they came down from the burgundy plateau and the day broke.
ski holidays

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy