Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

#winteriscoming 2021/22

Poster: A snowHead
Nights are drawing in and snow is coming in the high mountains this week above 2400 meters

Tignes

l'Alpe d'Huez
snow report
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
as long as it's not coming home - i experienced some delivery issues with another item i was expecting this weekend wink
latest report
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Quote:
as long as it's not coming home - i experienced some delivery issues with another item i was expecting this weekend
Sad
ski holidays
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
Glad your forecast is different from, say, Snowbird's, where today it will be 79 with smoke. Looking forward to that other kind of smoke there in about six months, seems like a long time....
snow report
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Timberwolf wrote:
as long as it's not coming home - i experienced some delivery issues with another item i was expecting this weekend wink

Don't worry - it is in safe hands Wink

snow conditions
 You'll need to Register first of course.
Timberwolf wrote:

Problem with the satnav. Took a diversion.
snow conditions
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Yes I can confirm it's been very cold at altitude the last couple of days.

Yesterday I drove up to the Col du Lautaret to drop my van off and cycle back home as later in the day we were running up to there for lunch as one does rolling eyes

And this was the Combeynot.

As ever at this time of year, it quickly disappears, though yesterday I did not respect the mountain environment choosing to run in light-weight gear not carrying any other clothing and on arrival at the Lautaret I was very very cold, if I'd twisted an ankle or something it could have turned into an embarassing bad day!
latest report
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
Weathercam wrote:

As ever at this time of year, it quickly disappears, though yesterday I did not respect the mountain environment choosing to run in light-weight gear not carrying any other clothing and on arrival at the Lautaret I was very very cold, if I'd twisted an ankle or something it could have turned into an embarassing bad day!

Nice photo.

You need to watch out, an old geezer froze to death around our way a couple of days ago out running. It was above the 7 Laux ski resort if you are interested.
snow conditions
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
This spell of wintry weather in July appears to be a recurring event. I had to check dates but the avalanche that killed BMG Roger Payne was July 12th 2012. Today would be his birthday.
ski holidays
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
Quote:
This spell of wintry weather in July appears to be a recurring event
Yes, have had snow almost down to resort level (and great skiing on the glacier) in Tignes on several July days over the last 15 years or so...

Can only dream of being in Tignes - or anywhere else - at present rolling eyes . I feel 99% fine but am stuck at home isolating after testing positive for covid Confused After 2 jabs too....

Hoping that that the vaccine is preventing me from passing covid on to Mrs MA (who keeps testing negative) and that it is also keeping me from being ill.
snow conditions
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
Hintertux Glacier is looking nice and white Very Happy - 4C at the top today and good, wintry snow cover for September.

Webcam view could do with being lowered a bit though.

latest report
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
Severe weather in Iceland

http://youtube.com/v/R2yXKnKcOAM

still this was the 26th September last year

http://pistehors.com/7bC7ynQByuHDGsGAD3Gd/croix-de-chamrousse-belledonne-france
latest report
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
Still got a month of winter left here. Counting down to the annual washing of the thermals Happy
snow report
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
mountainaddict wrote:
Hintertux Glacier is looking nice and white Very Happy - 4C at the top today and good, wintry snow cover for September.

Webcam view could do with being lowered a bit though.

I'm in the market for an early season trip if conditions and work allow

Do they ever open anything below the top bit in Hintertux early though? I mean, is it just the case that even if there was snow they wouldn't open lower down due to lack of demand?

Same q re Solden? Will they just basically open the Glacier part until later?
latest report
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
hang11 wrote:
...Counting down to the annual washing of the thermals Happy
You mean you store them.... unwashed?

Sölden I only know about from the other end of the season. Most times only the glacier is open at closing time,
but if there's enough snow the other stuff may be open. That's fairly rare. In truth I'm not sure I'd be very bothered - the
glacier area at Sölden is fairly large with some interesting bits and the "services" are right there, plus it's easier to
get to by simply driving up than using the lifts. General snow cover early season may not be very deep.

That's a "probably, yes".
latest report
@8611, the last time I've been to Solden was a couple of years ago, late November. Only the glacier was open and you could still drive all the way up.
They were covering the piste leading to the Gigijochbahn with man made snow and they opened it in my last day there, but it felt rough, hard and grainy. Unpleasant to ski upon.
I always check here: https://www.skiresort.info/snow-reports/europe/sorted/open-slopes/
snow report
Thanks both. Just couldn't justify a trip to just ski the glacier parts of either Solden or Hintertux. I mean if you were living nearby you'd head up for a morning sure, but not flights etc.

Lets see, maybe snow gods will pay us back with loads of snow and more will be open to meet pent up demand, or off piste viable!
snow conditions
philwig wrote:
hang11 wrote:
...Counting down to the annual washing of the thermals Happy
You mean you store them.... unwashed?

Back to front seasons here - I’m just heading into Spring Happy
latest report
Quote:
Just couldn't justify a trip to just ski the glacier parts of either Solden or Hintertux
At Hintertux, top to bottom of the glacier is 600m vertical.

So, IMO, plenty to go at for our forthcoming trip there (and maybe Kaprun too) in early November.
snow report
Freezing level dropping....Snow down to around 1600m in the Alps this week.

It'll never last Confused - but winter's on it's way Very Happy
snow report
mountainaddict wrote:
Quote:
Just couldn't justify a trip to just ski the glacier parts of either Solden or Hintertux
At Hintertux, top to bottom of the glacier is 600m vertical.

So, IMO, plenty to go at for our forthcoming trip there (and maybe Kaprun too) in early November.

Post how you get on

I was thinking it'd be like 12k of pistes or something? I seem to remember two button lifts going up to two similar short slopes and then the one main slope but maybe I'm wrong

I think Kaprun is a bit more interesting terrain than most glacier places?

Let us know how it is
ski holidays
Quote:
I was thinking it'd be like 12k of pistes or something?
I think Hintertux advertises 20km as its high summer minimum. Not sure if that's a bit creative but, as mentioned earlier, the 600m vertical (which is as much as many North American ski areas) is not to be sniffed at in my book wink

In addition to the areas of Hintertux that were mentioned, when looking up and across to the right from Tuxer Fernerhaus restaurant there's also an area of nice, wide, cruising runs served by a chairlift and a couple of drag lifts. Maybe you didn't discover those 8611?

I have to say, Mrs MA and I are normally very easily pleased when it comes to sliding about. This will be especially so after no Alps visits since March 2020. Give us a slope and a bit of snow and Bob is indeed my mother's brother Very Happy

On that note, autumn glacier skiing is bound to be better than what we managed locally in lockdown last winter. Any sking is indeed better than no skiing. The snow that I shovelled onto our very own green home run lasted a few days after it was packed down and skied into a piste Laughing

snow report
Lol, I hear you - my only skite since the pandemic was on a forest road. Have to say it felt absolutely amazing!

Bergfex was suggesting 24km last night. Feck it any but of snow now would be special.
snow report
A depth of 24 kms would be something special
snow report
someone is going to regret driving up to the glacier at les Deux alpes today.

https://www.skaping.com/les2alpes/3200m?zoom=MC4xNDk2-LTAuMzkwNDU-MC43NzgxOQ-MS4zOTA0NQ&archives=MTYzMzMzNjg2MA-YQ

scroll left. I would post an image but the Victorian era forum software won't let me.
ski holidays
davidof wrote:
someone is going to regret driving up to the glacier at les Deux alpes today.

https://www.skaping.com/les2alpes/3200m?zoom=MC4xNDk2-LTAuMzkwNDU-MC43NzgxOQ-MS4zOTA0NQ&archives=MTYzMzMzNjg2MA-YQ

scroll left. I would post an image but the Victorian era forum software won't let me.

Here you go....

latest report
Quote:
someone is going to regret driving up to the glacier at les Deux alpes today
Laughing

The Grande Motte at Tignes is looking in good shape for the time of year - with opening confirmed for 16.10.21

latest report
Latest views from Toviere at Tignes - fresh snow on the tops & the glacier looking very inviting now Very Happy

snow report
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.

Top of Dantercepies above Selva (Dolomites)... nice little dusting of icing sugar on the gruppo del sella
snow report
@sheffskibod, that's a pretty astonishing vista for a webcam. Thanks, I'd not seen that one before.
ski holidays
rob@rar wrote:
@sheffskibod, that's a pretty astonishing vista for a webcam. Thanks, I'd not seen that one before.

Link is here - Dolomites have a huge range of HD cams... https://webcams.windy.com/webcams/stream/1542844984
latest report
Some nice low level snow in Austria. Here's Hopfgarten Very Happy

And these pastures somewhere near Lienz look skiable (for diehards wink)

snow report
Went out for a little stroll this lunchtime.

Looking very wintry above the house

Little house on the prarie at 1900 meters

and finally the summit at 2100 meters, about 5 to 10cm of snow here

snow report
@davidof, Last picture reminds me of Yad Moss
snow conditions
The Kitzsteinhorn, Kaprun, reported today that they’ve just had 50cm of new snow and are working to prepare pistes for opening on Saturday, 10th Madeye-Smiley

It’s only 2 hours away…. Toofy Grin
snow report
Quote:
It’s only 2 hours away….
You know it makes sense! Looking forward to the trip report and photos Very Happy
snow report
Cacciatore wrote:
The Kitzsteinhorn, Kaprun, reported today that they’ve just had 50cm of new snow and are working to prepare pistes for opening on Saturday, 10th Madeye-Smiley

It’s only 2 hours away…. Toofy Grin

10th december?
ski holidays

snow report
Quote:
10th december?
Tomorrow, 10th October Very Happy

Judging by Hintertux, the snow is fantastic in Austria for the time of year.

latest report
Quote:
Judging by Hintertux, the snow is fantastic in Austria for the time of year.
Maybe not so good in Finland though wink

Levi opens today - with snow stored from last season Very Happy Good effort that!

snow report

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy