Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Valloire: anyone with experience in early April?

Poster: A snowHead
Poster: A snowHead
Hi all,

I hope all is well. As the title implies, I'm wondering if anyone has experience with snow conditions in Valloire in early April. My partner is a teacher, so for the last 3 years have been on trips in the dreaded February half term (including twice to Valloire, which we love). We're looking to early April to avoid at least French school holidays and take advantage of less busy slopes.

I know that it isn't the ideal resort at this time of the year, but I've picked up a good deal on a nice apartment for 6 people right at the base of Cret de La Brive - £55 each for 7 nights (v.hard for my Feb half term wired brain to process!). It's 100% cancelable and refundable up until late March, so we can keep options open depending on Covid and snow conditions and can change resorts if need be.

Checking out historical webcam images (which I realise isn't necessarily the best indicator), it seems higher up the mountain (top of Cret de La Brive and up) has been decent during the first 10 days of April over the past 3 or 4 years, but it would be great to hear from anyone who has actually been at this time.

Thanks!
ski holidays
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
I would guess the runs down and links to valmeiner would be a bit ropey.... ive been on almera in early jan which was icey and mid march being slushy....
Depending on covid, our group is thinking late march. We want a small quiet resort ourselves
snow conditions
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
The ski area is quite high but also quite sunny. I'd therefore expect sufficient cover in a typical year, but a pronounced ice / slush cycle quite likely. (But I haven't been!)
ski holidays
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
You need to Login to know who's really who.
I've only been Jan and Feb but we arrived early Jan in poor conditions and the only run closed was the red below the Les Verneys lift, maybe the black over the other side of Setaz as well. Everything on Crey du Quart was open, though some of the long tracks were a bit thin and icy towards the end.

Nice town, lots going on.
ski holidays
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
We went mid april a few years ago, some of the lower runs were closed but was still possible to ski back to town, higher runs were great , we had a good dump of fresh snow mid week and had great powder, of course one season is completely different to another
ski holidays
 You'll need to Register first of course.
You'll need to Register first of course.
We went to Valmeinier for the first week of Easter a few years ago, albeit arrived around 28th March ish so only just crept into April. Like @robs1 were blessed with about 40cm the night of our arrival and only noticed a bit of slushiness later in the week down to Valloire. We loved it but it was about 12-13 years ago and havent paid much attention to conditions at that time of year since.
latest report
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Should say... cracking burgers in the square behind the church snowHead
ski holidays
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
How was it?!
ski holidays
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
Valmeinier at 1800 will be OK.

But knowing both areas, in early April, I would recommend Val Cenis.
1. Also in the Haute Maurienne, with all the advantages related to that area; easy access without the dreaded Saturday motorways queues of Tarentaise, much more affordable, less stressed locals.
2. In addition to this, VC slopes are oriented away from the sun, which is of paramount importance towards end of season.
3. Plus VC is a VERY nice village that is alive 365 days per year, not just the winter- and summerseason.

https://www.alpinforum.com/forum/viewtopic.php?t=66843
ski holidays
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
Ski the Net with snowHeads
Holy thread ressurection

Anyway for reference; last year was a low snow year (although better in the spring) and it was fine on the closing day 14th April. Could ski everywhere.

Trip report here: https://pistehors.com/90luj4cBsDqi-Lmit8cU/valmeinier-maurienne-french-alps
snow report

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy