Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

My thoughts - Warren Smith Summer Course

Poster: A snowHead
Hello guys!

2 weeks ago I had the experience with a 5 day summer ski course with Warren Smith Ski Academy and would like to share my experience with you.
The original idea was not the course itself, but just an excuse to ski in real snow since most of trips in winter got cancelled because of the corona situation, turns out the course was REALLY good for me.

As many of you know, first time I stepped on a ski was in 2018 and I had only 20 days of skiing(including indoor) so I thought this could be a nice way to learn and get to know people in the same level. Well... I did learned a lot, but I was WAY behind those guys in the group, most of them were skiing for 5+ years, and many of them for more than 15 years, so I was the rookie one Razz

We had around 20 people that were split into 3 groups according to their level based on a simple short-turn run in a steep zone.
First day was more chilled, not really focusing on technique but more getting your body back used to the skis and doing some runs following the instructor.
The following 4 days were focused on technique each day a different thing, like steep techniques, carve, body position, etc.

I guess when you are as beginner as I was, the improvements are faster than in those really experienced because I have so much more to learn than them, but at the end of the week my stance was completely different from the first day, I go much more confident in higher speed and was able to do some nice carving(although I still have a MASSIVE amount of mileage needed to improve my angles).

Bottom line:
I really enjoyed, my instructor(Rob Stanford) was crazy skilled and such a nice guy, teaching is natural for him and I would love to have him as an instructor again, I am a different skier today than I was 2 weeks ago.
I got to meet many nice like minded people, including 2 very nice snowHead fellows: @MancSkier and @Themasterpiece
The conditions in Zermatt were good in the morning, but after 11am the snow got slushy and it was not so fun, some days were really hot, the last day I was skiing only with a tshirt snowHead , the t-bars stops at 12:45.
After the 13h, usually we had lunch and around 17h we all met for some drinks and dinner, it was a great experience, our hotel in Cervinia had a perfert view, check some pics below, I'll definitely going back in 2021 summer!

From left to right: Me, Steve(@Themasterpiece), Garry(non snowHead) and Anthony(@MancSkier).

Picture I got on the last day snowHead

This was the view we had from the hotel Cool

http://youtube.com/v/orwFuG8LANc

And finally the video that Warren Smith posted and you can see me and Anthony showing off our national buffs Laughing
https://www.facebook.com/WarrenSmithSkiAcademy/videos/589014171804470/
snow conditions
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
I’ll definitely try and get on another WSSA course next summer. Loved the course and hanging out with everyone there.
ski holidays
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
@AndreSilva, Good to see people still skiing and running courses this summer. Do you know where your instructor Rob was from? I have a feeling I may have gone to school with him...
ski holidays
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
Scarlet wrote:
@AndreSilva, Good to see people still skiing and running courses this summer. Do you know where your instructor Rob was from? I have a feeling I may have gone to school with him...

He is from England(near Manchester I guess), but he has been living in Switzerland for a while.
snow conditions
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
@AndreSilva, That fits. If he's late 30s, then I think he might be who I think he might be Toofy Grin
snow conditions
 You'll need to Register first of course.
You'll need to Register first of course.
Scarlet wrote:
@AndreSilva, That fits. If he's late 30s, then I think he might be who I think he might be Toofy Grin

I guess he is Very Happy
This is him: https://www.facebook.com/rob.stanford.52
latest report
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
@AndreSilva, it was definitely a wise decision, i met your SH buddies on previous bashes and it felt good skiing with them.
The Masterpiece's dashing speed made me get faster than expected to Val d'Isere' glacier area Smile
See you and Anthony next February.
ski holidays
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
drporat wrote:
@AndreSilva, it was definitely a wise decision, i met your SH buddies on previous bashes and it felt good skiing with them.
The Masterpiece's dashing speed made me get faster than expected to Val d'Isere' glacier area Smile
See you and Anthony next February.

Looking forward to it!!! Toofy Grin
snow conditions
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
I saw you on the WSSA video on youtube!
snow report
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
Ski the Net with snowHeads
swskier wrote:
I saw you on the WSSA video on youtube!

I'm basically a celebrity now Laughing
latest report
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
Nice to see your feedback on the course as it's something I've been considering doing, either next summer or maybe something pre-season.
snow report
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
I intend to do it in the winter, although it's more expensive (Zermatt vs Cervinia....)
The All Mountain factor is decisive for me
snow conditions
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
Sitter wrote:
Nice to see your feedback on the course as it's something I've been considering doing, either next summer or maybe something pre-season.

You should, for me it was a nice excuse to justify skiing in the summer Laughing
snow conditions
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
drporat wrote:
I intend to do it in the winter, although it's more expensive (Zermatt vs Cervinia....)
The All Mountain factor is decisive for me

Indeed, I wish I had some basic powder classes, but in the summer is almost impossible I guess.
ski holidays
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
@AndreSilva, nice one! Faz tempo que estou interessado em fazer um curso deles!
snow report
Quote:

Indeed, I wish I had some basic powder classes, but in the summer is almost impossible I guess.

You'd be surprised - I did the summer course with Warren quite a few times back when it was in Saas Fee. We had the odd day of knee deep powder after a afternoon / night-time storm!

Obviously you don't ski as much on the summer course, and getting up early can be difficult; but the course is great and the social side something really special. As you say, Rob's a great teacher and a really nice guy.
ski holidays
Gustavobs wrote:

Você fala Português ? Madeye-Smiley
ski holidays
AndreSilva wrote:
Gustavobs wrote:

Você fala Português ? Madeye-Smiley

Sim Happy
latest report
I’ve done 2 WS courses. 1 winter in Verbier and 1 summer in Saas Fe. If you’re late to skiing and needing to catch up with some mates on an annual ski trip, as I was, it’s ideal. Saas Fe was great. Like a ski holiday and a summer holiday in one. Rob and team are decent guys
That said, 10 years on, I look back and think Warren had some left field ideas and I’ve had some truly excellent instructors elsewhere - I’m not sure I’d go again.
snow report

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy