Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Which resort opens first ?

Poster: A snowHead
Poster: A snowHead
Olá! Very Happy

Well, I don't know about you guy but I'm crazy about getting back to the slopes, ski fever is not going anywhere.
Which resort usually fully(at least 90% of its slopes) opens first ? I saw that Solden opens at November 19th, is there any other that opens before ?
Also, for those early ones, are the conditions good enough ?

Cheers!
snow report
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Kitzbühel usually open one slope/lift sometime in October with snow stored from the previous season. It's really just a marketing ploy to say they are the first to open, not really worth a visit. The glaciers are normally all operational again from the beginning of November and round our way Schladming, Reiteralm and Zauchensee usually open a few lifts/pistes during November. For 90% of slopes you would have to wait until December.
snow conditions
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
AndreSilva wrote:
Olá! Very Happy

Well, I don't know about you guy but I'm crazy about getting back to the slopes, ski fever is not going anywhere.
Which resort usually fully(at least 90% of its slopes) opens first ? I saw that Solden opens at November 19th, is there any other that opens before ?
Also, for those early ones, are the conditions good enough ?

Cheers!

Obergurgl normally seems to open on/around 13th Nov. Stubai and the other glaciers should normally be in full swing before then too. Of the bigger resorts, Ischgl usually has a solid amount of terrain open by the end of November (opening day usually on/around the 30th).

As to conditions, that completely depends and it's impossible to generalise or guess. Could literally be anything from perfect deep blower powder to a few flakes on glacial ice/manufactured concrete (I normally start my season at Stubai in September and have experienced all the previous).
snow report
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
You need to Login to know who's really who.
In my experience even if a resort has enough snow to open 90%+ of all the lifts before Christmas it won't because it doesn't make financial sense. (cost of runing lifts and preparing slopes). I doubt very few if any resorts would have 90%+ lifts/pistes open before christmas.

The glaciers are generally the best place to ski early season

Austria
https://www.bergfex.com/oesterreich/gletscher/

France
https://www.skiresort.info/glacier-ski-resorts/france/

Switzerland
https://www.skiresort.info/glacier-ski-resorts/switzerland/
latest report
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
I was just looking through my accounts and saw a lift pass purchase for the 7 laux for the 16th November 2019, I think we skied more or less continually until Covid stopped play in March.

http://youtube.com/v/Hwb9Ecrt3xU

although it wasn't too shabby at Shamrousse a week earlier but they can't open the lifts overnight like the 7 Laux can

http://youtube.com/v/6S6ljcBvPpo

best thing is to storm chase if you can get last minute transport
snow report
 You'll need to Register first of course.
You'll need to Register first of course.
davidof wrote:
I was just looking through my accounts and saw a lift pass purchase for the 7 laux for the 16th November 2019, I think we skied more or less continually until Covid stopped play in March.

Good conditions for this early november!

davidof wrote:
best thing is to storm chase if you can get last minute transport

That's what I'm thinking about, as I'm going by car I can just hop in and go!
snow conditions
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
DB wrote:

Makes sense, I guess I'll aim for those one.
snow conditions
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
Zoetermeer or Landgraaf, if you're really desperate. Might need to wear a mask though.

Much before Christmas, I wouldn't look any further than Sölden or Lech. Skied in Sölden, Obertauern and Meribel in November. Although one year was basically solid ice. And another we ended up doing powder one day one a piste performance clinic.
latest report
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
andy wrote:
Zoetermeer or Landgraaf, if you're really desperate. Might need to wear a mask though.

Going there Friday snowHead
But it's not the same thing Sad
snow conditions
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
Ski the Net with snowHeads
Ruka in Finland tries to open in early October, IIRC. The first non-glacier resort to offer lift-accessed skiing. But it seems to be just one or two pistes, and probably be on snow stored from the previous winter.
snow conditions
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
stubai glacier
6th Nov inc. equipement testing
latest report
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
Espace Killy opens at the end of November, with Tignes' glacier open as soon as feasible from October. As to percentage open:- remember 50% of 200km piste open is more than 90% of 100km piste. Very Happy
snow report
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
Well, after watching some videos I decided to book a hotel for November 26th in Solden snowHead
That is 1 week after it opens so I can see if things are working as expected, I can cancel the hotel for free if necessary.

Thanks guys!
snow conditions
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
AndreSilva wrote:
DB wrote:

Makes sense, I guess I'll aim for those one.

I think Hintertux is one of the best (I think it's actually open 364 days a year. although conditions are obviously better towards the start of Winter). Covid-19 permitting I'm hoping to spend a few days out there at the end of November. https://www.hintertuxergletscher.at/en/specials/hintertux-glacier/
ski holidays
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Kronplatz (Plan de Corones) in northern Italy has a great reputation for early season Skiing. It is regularly is in the top 10 for kms of piste open by Christmas and is very popular with Italian and German skiers because of the reliability of its runs and lifts. They aim to open first runs at the end of November.

Its slopes are wide, rock free and not too high. It’s in a dry part of the alps that is unreliable for natural snow (last year was the exception!) but it is in the best part of the alps for snowmaking. It is sheltered from westerly and northerly airstreams which can close lifts at higher resorts.

Effective snow making and a majority of gondolas make for a very reliable early season piste skiing holiday. Once the runs are open they tend to stay open because of their shelter From strong winds, poor visibility and avalanche risk.
latest report

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy