Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

How many times can you heat mold a boot ?

Poster: A snowHead
Poster: A snowHead
Hello guys.

I bought a new boot in February(https://www.fischersports.com/ranger-one-130-pbv-walk-1060).
Because of all the corona situation I only had the chance to try the boots in real snow last week. I went skiing for 6 days and although the boot works great, my feet was killing me Sad
This boot was fitted to me, so there are no pressure spots, it is more of a whole foot pain.
Check the image, the focus of the pain was in thed marked areas, in both feet:

It starts with a pain in the side and soon it starts to ache in the middle of the foot and it spreads, if I undo all the buckles and strap, in around 10 minutes it gets better.
The boot was not too tight, I checked that many times.
I thought it could be a footbed problem, I'm using the Superfeet Green but I was already using this in my previous boot and had no pain whatsoever.

My guess:
My previous boot was a Nordica size 29 with 104mm last.
My new boot is a Fischer size 28 with 101mm last.

I replaced boots because the Nordica was too big.
The Fischer was fitted to my feet and we applied those "foam stickers" before molding it, but we only applied in the common areas(toe box, the side under big toed and ankle) and my gut feeling says that we should have added padding in the lower side too, that is exactly where it hurts and I think that lower side part near the heel is too narrow for my foot shape.

I'll call my bootfitter and make an appointment so he can check, but I would like to discuss here first.
If he decides to stretch the last, so from 101 to 104 for example, can the boot handle another heat mold ? Can it "unmold" what was already molded before by accident ?

Cheers!
snow conditions
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
the fischer vacuplast can be moulded a good few times, without seeing your foot it is pure speculation as to what is causing the problems.... pain in the arch area AND the lateral side of the foot would suggest a pronating foot which is abducting (turning out) is there adequate support from the footbed? just because it was being used before has it been interfaced correctly into the new boot, is the boot in fact too narrow or is there a limitation of ankle joint range of motion and your foot is externally rotating to compensate? the nordica will have had 12 degrees of forward lean and allowed you to stand bolt upright as it was too big, most fischer models have a little more and as you are contained in a smaller shell you are being forced into a more dynamic skiing position, this could push you past the available range of motion at your ankle joint

the only person who can answer these questions is a good fitter who has your feet and boots in front of them
ski holidays
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
CEM wrote:
the fischer vacuplast can be moulded a good few times
the only person who can answer these questions is a good fitter who has your feet and boots in front of them

Good to hear that, I made an appointment to Friday so they can take a look Laughing
snow report
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
You need to Login to know who's really who.
Forgot to reply here... in case this helps anyone: The problem is that the boot wasn't wide enough indeed.
We molded it one more time using more pads in my feet this time, and also a stretch in the old way in those machines that forces out the walls of the boot .

I still haven't been in the mountain with it, but I've been 3 hours indoor skiing and it was not aching anymore, although I have to get used to not make the boot too tight as I was used with my previous Nordica Cruise(104mm).
snow report
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Good tip with tight fitting boots - start loose and gradually tighten as you work the boot
ski holidays

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy