Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

New Marker Duke PT

Poster: A snowHead
Your thoughts?
latest report
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
If the shift didn't exist then yes but the removable toe is a issue for me.
ski holidays
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
I’m getting them on new Freeride skis. Looks like the best downhill binding with a PIN mode. Have Shifts on another pair so will compare
ski holidays
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
BobinCH wrote:
....Looks like the best downhill binding with a PIN mode.....

I'd be interested to hear why you think that?
ski holidays
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Ok weighs the same or more in uphill mode as my F10/12. Doesn't hold me to the ski any better/wose. Doesn't fit all boots (need tech fittings). Doesn't adjust for many sizes. Expensive. Bits to loose. Kinda pointless marketing junk.....guess I'll see a lot on the hill.

For occasional use (more like backup uphill mode in case I end up in the wrong place) I'll stick with my F10's
For Touring use , real tech bindings - See Plum/Dynafit/G3/ATK etc.
ski holidays
 You'll need to Register first of course.
spyderjon wrote:
BobinCH wrote:

BTW, I don't mean that as any kind of trick question. This season will be my third selling the Shifts and I'll be selling the PT's also (arriving mid Aug).
ski holidays
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
spyderjon wrote:
spyderjon wrote:
BobinCH wrote:

BTW, I don't mean that as any kind of trick question. This season will be my third selling the Shifts and I'll be selling the PT's also (arriving mid Aug).

Have Griffons on the DPS 124A’s which feel really solid as a downhill binding. Shifts on Blizzard Rustler 11’s also feel good but not as solid as Griffons. I hear Duke PT based on Griffon heel so expecting it will be the most solid Freeride binding downhill focused with occasional touring which is my gig. And Non scientific but all my Marker experience has been good.
ski holidays
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
I hated my grifons, loved my vists (although more chance user error than bindings).
latest report
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
PT 16's and 13's just arrived although that means another new jig Evil or Very Mad

I've had a lot of enquires re whether the new PT will work on skis mounted for Jester/Griffons.

The PT heel has the same L80mm x W32mm pattern as the Jester/Griffon but the metal insert worm drive track is a lot longer to give the greatly increased length adjustment.

The PT toe has a L46mm x W38mm pattern compared to the L31mm x W36mm of the Jester/Griffon.

Here's the PT mount in red alongside a Jester/Griffon mount in black, both at 300mm bsl and both mounted on the line. The heel holes are identical. The PT's toe locations straddle the rear toe locations of the Jester/Griffon by 15mm and 16mm so there's more than enough room for a conventional mount and sufficient room for a QK/BF mount even if the original mount was with inserts.

It's a pity that there's 2mm difference in the mounting width at the toe but if you wanted to use one of the pairs of Jester/Griffon holes then you'd end up +15mm or -16mm off the mounting line (assuming the same bsl) so very few will want to do that. But if you did want to do it (ie when there's a difference in bsl) then if you mounting the PT toe with inserts then the insert would enclose an original conventional mount and you'd be good to go.

So kudos to Marker for giving Jester/Griffon users the ability to upgrade their bindings without incurring any mounting hassle.

If anyone wants me to check the mounting hole compatibility with a different binding then advise the make/model/bsl of the existing mount plus the bsl for the Duke mount (if different) and I'll overlay the jigs to check.

And yes, the Duke PT's work great with Quiver Killer inserts and I have the screw sets in stock.
snow report
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
@spyderjon, couldn’t you make a jig.
snow report
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
jbob wrote:
@spyderjon, couldn’t you make a jig.

Puzzled . A jig for what?
ski holidays
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
@spyderjon,

“PT 16's and 13's just arrived although that means another new jig”
latest report
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
@jbob, I've got the new jig - it's the one pictured above with Duke PT written on it in big letters wink Laughing. I was just complaining that I had to fork out for yet another jig!
snow report
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
Idris wrote:
Ok weighs the same or more in uphill mode as my F10/12. Doesn't hold me to the ski any better/wose. Doesn't fit all boots (need tech fittings). Doesn't adjust for many sizes. Expensive. Bits to loose. Kinda pointless marketing junk.....guess I'll see a lot on the hill.

For occasional use (more like backup uphill mode in case I end up in the wrong place) I'll stick with my F10's
For Touring use , real tech bindings - See Plum/Dynafit/G3/ATK etc.

Nail on head : this binding is 3 years late to party.
For a 50:50 ski the shift is a better option. For pure touring ski something like classic dynafit TLT is lighter / much better option.

Suspect the removable toe is simply to get around Salomon patents on the toe piece design?
snow conditions
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Or looking at it another way, you can have a 16 DIN solid downhill binding, which can transform into a PIN binding. Who else offers this except CAST?
snow report
BobinCH wrote:
Or looking at it another way, you can have a 16 DIN solid downhill binding, which can transform into a PIN binding. Who else offers this except CAST?

Why do I want DIN 16 unless I am skiing world cup GS race? I am 6 foot 3 and 14 stone. Usually ski at DIN 8 and never suffer pre-release.

If you want a 50:50 / one ski quiver to be used resort & touring then shift (DIN13!) looks like better option for most people? It's lighter, no removable toe paff and skis like an alpine binding. As ever touring equipment all about compromise : what goes down must go up
snow report
Haggis_Trap wrote:
BobinCH wrote:

Why do I want DIN 16 unless I am skiing world cup GS race? I am 6 foot 3 and 14 stone. Usually ski at DIN 8 and never suffer pre-release.

If you want a 50:50 / one ski quiver to be used resort & touring then shift (DIN13!) looks like better option for most people? It's lighter, no removable toe paff and skis like an alpine binding. As ever touring equipment all about compromise : what goes down must go up

You’re probably right for a 50/50 but I’m more of an 80/20 and would trade a Marker Alpine toe/heel for an extra 100g on the up. Griffon skis better than a Shift IMO. Maybe it’s the delta angle?
latest report
BobinCH wrote:
Haggis_Trap wrote:
BobinCH wrote:

You’re probably right for a 50/50 but I’m more of an 80/20 and would trade a Marker Alpine toe/heel for an extra 100g on the up. Griffon skis better than a Shift IMO. Maybe it’s the delta angle?

Just don’t drop that toe piece in all fluffy powder at the top transition or you will be 0/100 ! Very Happy
latest report
@BobinCH I hope you do a review on the PT, you will be one of few people who have spent your own money on both products.

Also note the marker PT is more expensive than the shift approx £100 for PT 12 and £150 for the PT 16.
ski holidays
Just done this mounting comparison for the TGR crowd which some might find useful. Same bsl and mounting line although when mounting the PT over an existing Kingpin mount and sharing the two toe holes will mean that the PT will be mounted 4mm back (which is effectively nothing).

snow report
@spyderjon, That's a handy picture, thanks for that.

Yeah I think you just get the DIN16 over the Shift, though im guessing it was just a knee jerk reaction from Marker. "How can we use all our existing products to get a binding on the market as soon as possible before Solomon have the monopoly, while avoiding existing Patents". Obviously very few people actuallt need 16, but the Duke proved that people will buy it because it must therefore be more reliably built... so maybe they are not so foolish.

I've heard (perhaps unsurprisingly) that ice is a problem for reattaching the toe at the top of a long walk. But time will tell.
latest report
Does anybody know if you could ski short descents with the pin toe locked out? I'm looking for a binding that has this functionality for skiing in no fall terrain.

I tried the PT for a day in Andermatt a few weeks ago but didn't get the chance to try this out... I'm not sure if it was user error, but the locking mechanism on the toe didn't completely prevent release as I could still twist the front of the boot out during skinning.
ski holidays
EuanFraser wrote:
Does anybody know if you could ski short descents with the pin toe locked out? I'm looking for a binding that has this functionality for skiing in no fall terrain....

No you can't as the heel binding can't be engaged to lock the heel down - so you'd be in telemark mode - not what you'd want in those circumstances. Same with the Shift and the Cast Freetour system.

You need a binding that has pins toe & rear to do that. If you're after a high din bomber construction tech binding with great power transmission with the ability to lock the toes out and comes in at under 380g then look no further than the 20/21 ATK Freeraider 14 https://www.thepisteoffice.com/index.php/the-piste-office-store/alpine-touring-bindings/atk-bindings/freeraider-14-535-detail.html Or there's the superb but now discontinued Dynafit Beast 14 but they're over double the weight and don't have a flat walk mode, plus there's no spare parts for the heals available. And you'll need to fit the heel bracket to your boots but that's not an issue. Myself & Sport Conrad bought all the remaining production a good few years ago. I'm now sold out but they still have a few 105mm width left for boogerall money https://www.sport-conrad.com/en/products/dynafit/beast-14-inkl-105-mm-stopper.html
ski holidays
spyderjon wrote:
EuanFraser wrote:
Does anybody know if you could ski short descents with the pin toe locked out? I'm looking for a binding that has this functionality for skiing in no fall terrain....

No you can't as the heel binding can't be engaged to lock the heel down - so you'd be in telemark mode - not what you'd want in those circumstances. Same with the Shift and the Cast Freetour system.

You need a binding that has pins toe & rear to do that. If you're after a high din bomber construction tech binding with great power transmission with the ability to lock the toes out and comes in at under 380g then look no further than the 20/21 ATK Freeraider 14 https://www.thepisteoffice.com/index.php/the-piste-office-store/alpine-touring-bindings/atk-bindings/freeraider-14-535-detail.html Or there's the superb but now discontinued Dynafit Beast 14 but they're over double the weight and don't have a flat walk mode, plus there's no spare parts for the heals available. And you'll need to fit the heel bracket to your boots but that's not an issue. Myself & Sport Conrad bought all the remaining production a good few years ago. I'm now sold out but they still have a few 105mm width left for boogerall money https://www.sport-conrad.com/en/products/dynafit/beast-14-inkl-105-mm-stopper.html

I expected that this was the case, thanks for your explanation. I've been skiing the Beast 14 for a few seasons now and overall have been pretty happy with it. After a day on the dukes though I did notice a difference in the downhill performance. It reminded me of that direct and solid feel of alpine bindings that I hadn't felt in a long while. I'm tempted to go a different route this year than the pin rear and toe setup. I've heard good things about the shift and seen a few videos on the new B.A.M Pindung. Any thoughts?
latest report
@EuanFraser, I don't thing the Pindung has made it to market yet. Basically it's too late, too heavy & too expensive so can't see it happening.

The Shift is superb (providing it's set-up correctly) and has taken huge market share. In comparison the Duke PT is also too late, too heavy & too expensive. If you're gnarly enough to really need 14, 15, or 16 din or perhaps just a really big guy then maybe it's for you, plus you'll get a bit more vertical elasticity out of the heel (but less at the toe) compared to the Shift but you'll pay a big weight penalty for it. I sell both the Shift and the PT and the Shift is outselling the PT by about 15:1.

And if you really need the 'extra' performance of the PT 16 then you should seriously be considering the Cast Freetour system.
ski holidays
I put a set on my skis a few weeks ago. I have already suffered a failure of the toe piece lever. It snapped off while on a tour. Luckily I was able to click in the alpine toe piece and ski down, but the failure is surprising. The lever was loose prior to the failure and I had already submitted a warranty request through the retailer. I have a new set coming today. Hopefully this is a fluke, but is not encouraging.
latest report
Jon.moab wrote:
I put a set on my skis a few weeks ago. I have already suffered a failure of the toe piece lever. It snapped off while on a tour. Luckily I was able to click in the alpine toe piece and ski down, but the failure is surprising. The lever was loose prior to the failure and I had already submitted a warranty request through the retailer. I have a new set coming today. Hopefully this is a fluke, but is not encouraging.

Doesn't surprise me in the slightest, the levers on the set I tried were also loose and I struggled to completely lock out the toes...
snow report
It is definitely a struggle to lock out the toes. The lever is not very stable and should be made of aluminum. Needless to say, I am not impressed with their durability after one month of light use. I am going to return them, which means re-mount on my new skis. Super disappointed with them!
snow report
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
Quote:

I just experienced the exact same failure; without even touching the toe lever the torsional force of skinning a hard snowpack on a traverse was enough to shear the lever clean. Super bummed because their downhill performance is excellent. I just submitted a warranty request through Marker directly, crossing my fingers that they provide an adequate remedy. Until then, I'd caution anyone taking these out into the backcountry - you're not safe skinning on anything exposed while "locked" into these unless Marker identifies the issue.

https://i.imgur.com/GpHeKru.jpg
https://i.imgur.com/r4wVxl4.jpg
https://i.imgur.com/BAI0tpa.jpg
snow conditions
Quote:

This is exactly what happened to me the other week. Lever wasn't loose though. Now trying to go through the warranty process - did anyone have success with this? Thinking it might be better to get a refund and buy some Shifts...
snow report
@Jon.moab, @Briangle, @schlad, Marker had a bad batch of levers (manufacturered by a external supplier) on one of their earlier production runs so it sounds like you've all got one of those. The problem is a manufacturing/material fault issue not a design issue.

In late winter/early spring of 2020 Marker contacted the retailers that had received the effected bindings and supplied them with replacement lower toe assemblies so your supplying retailer should have contacted you and arranged to send you the replacements. Very few of the efffected bindings came in to the UK - I only had 6, half of which hadn't been used yet due to Covid and the other three had been used quite heavily without issue. It appears that if the lever was going to fail it'd happen in the first few uses.

All the PT toes now have a small asterix after the part number on the left hand toe wing, as per this pic:

If you have toe bindings without the asterix at the end of the part number or totally blank (ie no number at all) then you should get your supplying Marker retailer to exchange them - although if you've already used them quite a bit without issue then they're probably fine, but I'd still swap 'em anyway.
snow conditions
@spyderjon

Thanks so much for this - super insightful.

Mine don't have a part number, so must be part of that batch. I hadn't been contacted by my retailer sadly Eh oh! . Would have massively improved my trip...
ski holidays
I am glad to hear Marker acknowledged the issue. Candidly, I pulled the bindings and returned them. The failure experienced was enough to completely turn me off from these bindings. I have a set of Shifts now mounted and haven’t looked back.
snow report
Definitely happy that Marker has found the source of the issue; a bit disappointed that the way I'm finding out is on a public forum 1 year later. rolling eyes

I ended up RMAing the broken bindings and getting some Moment Voyager 14's (ATK Freeraider 14s) and they're a dream - I'll consider getting another pair of the Duke PTs in 1-2 years if these new toe pieces continue to work for people.
ski holidays
Briangle wrote:
Definitely happy that Marker has found the source of the issue; a bit disappointed that the way I'm finding out is on a public forum 1 year later. rolling eyes

Blame your retailer. Marker found the problem really quickly and acted on it immediately.
snow report
spyderjon wrote:
@EuanFraser, I don't thing the Pindung has made it to market yet. Basically it's too late, too heavy & too expensive so can't see it happening.

Bergzeit had them at one point. But you're right, they are outdated by the Shift.

https://www.bergzeit.de/bavarian-alpine-manifest-pindung-tourenbindung-90mm/
ski holidays
Son ejected today and heel piece has sheered off rather than released. On the flat in Le fornrt and said no impact to binding.
snow report

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy