Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Alpe d'Huez recommendations

Poster: A snowHead
Given our planned trip to Canada in Jan 2021 is unlikely, we're considering the drive to France instead and Alpe d'Huez has been on our list of possible's for a while.

We're a couple who will be looking for self catering accommodation - currently the plan is to stock up on the drive in and cook for ourselves and avoid restaurants and bars. Can anyone recommend which part of the resort might suit us - ideally a small supermarket and bakery within walking distance and easy access to the lifts.
And could anyone recommend mid-range self catering accommodation in an area that would suit our needs? A studio apartment is fine, doesn't need to be massive, ideally with good WiFi for potentially having to keep in touch with work.

Our hope is to book the Eurotunnel now and book accommodation with only a small deposit or with free cancellation just in case. I know waiting would be the most sensible thing but we've usually got 2 or 3 holidays booked ahead so the current situation and lack of holidays has me itching to have something tentatively in the calendar... (first world problems, I know Embarassed ..!)
ski holidays
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
The village of Oz Station. Small traffic free village. Bakery, small supermarket and a couple of restaurants. Very nice bar (subject to COVID etc). Access to slopes far better than ADH (Oz id centrally located in the ski area, much smaller lift queues - easy access to the slopes above ADH or to the Vaujany sector). Not the place to go if you`re looking for booming night life. PM me if you want more info.
snow report
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
@SLB79, Oz-en-Oisans all day long.
snow report
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
I have privately rented an apartment of a guy a few times, PM if you want contact details.

Also the tourist office has a list online of private renters.
snow conditions
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Vaujany is also nice but not quite as conveniently located for the full ski area as Oz.
snow conditions
 You'll need to Register first of course.
You'll need to Register first of course.
Going to have to agree with everyone else (quick, there's agreement on a SH thread, someone mention helmets quick!) and recommend Oz en Oisans. Small but perfectly formed, but almost zero to do 'out' in the evenings so nice and quiet.
ski holidays
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Couple of my Trip Reports staying in Oz (with pics):

https://snowheads.com/ski-forum/viewtopic.php?p=2422054&

https://snowheads.com/ski-forum/viewtopic.php?p=3033412
latest report
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
Thanks for the recommendations all, it seems like we have a clear winner! Quiet in the evenings and zero 'booming' nightlife and easy access to the slopes sounds like just the place!
Thanks for the TR's @Layne, it certainly seems like there is a variety of skiing to keep us occupied!
I'll get in touch with the tourist office for private rentals in addition to the usual online resources - I'm reluctant to book too soon whilst its likely that things will change many times between now and then but it will be good to have a list of favourites ready...
ski holidays
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
@jonty, hey! My wife booked us into lodging at vaujany. We have kids who ski very well and could make it down the reds at the top of vaujany alpette, we can't! It seems from the ski map like we could go up to mid Station at vaujany alpette, then down the goldola to oz, then across oz on skis or foot and up to the beginner area in alpe d'huez. I know it's convoluted, but is this possible??
latest report
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
Ski the Net with snowHeads
@Joshsnowfiend, yes
snow conditions
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
No matter where you stay in the ADH area you won’t really find booming nightlife. Yes there are late night bars and discos but not the sort to really keep you awake.

Les Bergers area has great access to the the slopes especially if you finish the day with the Sarenne slope or you can easily get to Auris(sunny south facing). Villard Reculas is very quiet but does have a small supermarket, bar and bakery. Very close to the slopes to get up and over to the centre of ADH but might be busy(January should be ok).
latest report
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
@Joshsnowfiend, are you not taking lessons?

You don't need to go to the main bowl to access slopes for beginners. The piste down from Arpette to Montfrais and the slopes around Montfrais are great for beginners. And once you have progressed the slope from Arpette to Oz is a great red with the option of a blue halfway down.
ski holidays
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
The whole of ADH is nice.
It is my fave area to be honest, followed by Les Arcs. I went back to the 3V last season for one trip and thought ADH was far better, so am back there in 2023.
We have normally stayed in L'Eclose - it would tick all your boxes and not feel as remote as Oz.
Small range of shops a very short distance away. Easy access to main area by gondola, to all the fantastic progression skiing that the resort has. Gondola to Bergers in the evening or any non skiing time. Short walk to sports centre and town.
Loads of competitively priced self catering apartments, some with great views down to Huez. One of the most friendly places anywhere
It is difficult to go wrong there - we are staying in Jeux next time. The whole place is cool
latest report
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
I went to Vaujany a few times when in University. One of the best resorts for price-quality ratio.

The return slope Alpette > Montfrais > Vilette is a really nice slope. No problem for anyone, bar the very earliest beginners.
You always have to take the TCB back to Vaujany for the last dit, taking about 3 minutes, because the village is on a sunny terrace somewhat upward from the valley bottom.

https://www.skiresort.nl/typo3temp/assets/_processed_/09/94/43/3a/a5582f9da5.jpg

The slopes around Alpette are really nice for beginners, and not crowded at all. The restaurant alongside the piste is authentic and good value
https://g.page/levaujaniat?share

The bowl over AdH is hundreds of meters wide green and blue slopes. And the higher up you go, the steeper it gets. 1800-2100 = beginner paradise; 2100-2880 = intermediate paradise; 2700-3300 = confirmed skier paradise.

Some of my personal favorites:
1. Combe charbonniere
http://youtube.com/v/fwBK4XS5sFk
2. La Fare
http://youtube.com/v/fZW8z4QHLGY

The tour piste Alpette > Montfrais > Vilette
http://youtube.com/v/XKPcvZ9IZtQ
latest report
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Quote:
I am! But I was attracted to all the videos on YouTube of what seemed to be an incredible timid late beginner progressing to early intermediate setup in adh. But we lived to look of vaujany, small village etc.....
Layne wrote:
@Joshsnowfiend, are you not taking lessons?

You don't need to go to the main bowl to access slopes for beginners. The piste down from Arpette to Montfrais and the slopes around Montfrais are great for beginners. And once you have progressed the slope from Arpette to Oz is a great red with the option of a blue halfway down.
latest report
Thanks @onnem for your excellent description of beginner slopes near vaujany!
snow report
@Onnem, Eh oh! Eh oh! Eh oh! Eh oh!
snow report
@Joshsnowfiend, have you booked an instructor yet? If not I can punt a recommendation for Monica at VO Coaching, who works in Vaujany and Oz. She taught my kids and one of our friends, and they loved her. https://www.vocoaching.net/vocoaching-contact-en.php
ski holidays
She's only available afternoons Eh oh!
latest report

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy