Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Ischgl vs Samaun

Poster: A snowHead
Poster: A snowHead
Same ski area of course but has anyone stayed in both villages and if so what are your thoughts?
ski holidays
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Although I've not actually stayed in Samnaun my immediate thought is that the cable car is the only access to the mountain. Not sure what the capacity is and how the queues are first thing in the morning. But its a nice little town (ette), plenty of hotels, the tax free status doesn't really seem to help pricing, although there is a good variety of places to eat and make merry, as well as plenty of accommodation options. Access back from the Ischgl is simple enough, either via Idjoch/Alptrida or Planinkopf. Easily reachable from the airport. Ischgl is larger and much more developed, with multiple access lifts to the mountain at Idalp and Pasrdatschgrat, four gondals up from the village if memory serves.. Plenty of accommodation along the valley and some of the most famous or infamous Apres in the alps. Again easy access from the airports. with a full area press you will also get access to the other resorts in the Paznaun valley (See, Kappl, Galtur) via the free ski bus. If anything Ischgl seems to be geared a little towards the more lucrative clients from Russia, Germany etc. However I guess everything could well be a little different next season.
Personally I prefer to stay in Galtur, better value from the hotels, and access Ischgl/Samnaun/Kappl/See/Galtur during my trip via the bus. my Daughter insists that I also add that she now prefers the Galtur option.
ski holidays
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
I didn't stay in Samnaun but I thought it looked cheesy with all the duty-free signs....not the "Switzerland" in my mind's eye at all. (Ischgl probably isn't, either). Agree with Bob about the singular lift access point also.
ski holidays
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
You need to Login to know who's really who.
Ischgl2020 vs Ischgl2021 vs Samnaun
Who knows?
ski holidays
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
I was in Galtur/Ischgl in March, the week of the closure. I stayed in Galtur, and got the frequent bus in to Ischgl. Access to and from the ski area from Ischgl is plentiful and efficient. From Samnaun, you have a single, and a double decker cable car via a bus journey. I got a feeling those lifts are not as busy as a few of the multiple base gondolas in Ischgl.

It may also depend on what kind if night life you want, the Ischgl party scene or quieter small town/village, hence my staying in Galtur (and cost). Samnauan will have the Swiss Franc and Euro as currency, as do some of the mountain Restaurants in the Swiss Alp Trida area.

I stayed in the Hotel Alpenhotel Tirol in Galtur, which was superb.

No matter where you stay, I thought Ischgl was a great ski area, with plenty of miles to cover and an abundance of lifts, that look confusing at first, but are actually well thought out.
snow conditions
 You'll need to Register first of course.
You'll need to Register first of course.
Not stayed in Samnaun either but would expect it to be VERY quiet once the lifts stop running with little or nothing to do outside a few restaurants and hotel wellness. It's also a lot more spread out along the valley than Ischgl, so a good chance you'll have to jump a bus to both get to the gondola in the morning and also to get around town in the evening (no idea what time they run till).

If you like the ski area but want somewhere quite and full board hotel/self catering with no desire to go out after the skis come off it could be a good choice - but as others have said so would Galtur be.

The one other reason for going to Samnaun would be you like early season skiing and LOVE Santa - https://www.samnaun.ch/en/clauwau-weltmeisterschaft-nikolause
ski holidays
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
@waitrose,
I've stayed in Samnaun, Kappl and Galtur but not Ischgl itself. All on family holidays when apres was not of any interest to us and we were self catering.
Samnaun and Galtur were both quite a few years ago now.
Samnaun is a bit of a straggling area along the valley rather than having a single centre none of the accommodation is next to the cable car out though you can ski back to different bits, some are distinctly more appealing than others. The main bit is a mass of hotels and duty free shops some of the other bits are rather more attractive older villages. We did not explore the nightlife and I would not expect it to be particularly riotous.
The cable car has a huge car park that we usually used or a bus service from the different bits. Access to the main ski area from the cable car is pretty good though not quite as central as Ischgl's and fewer sheltered options if the weather is poor. The queuing for the cable car on our high season visit was a bit quieter than Ischgl's usually is but by no means quiet.
Ischgl's accommodation was a bit more expensive than Samnauns but cheaper options are available elsewhere in the Paznaun valley. It is party central and a lot mroe bustling than Samnaun.
Personally for family holidays both worked for us and we were quite happy. On expense grounds we ended up in Kappl most years. If nightlife is your thing Ischgl is definitely the better option
snow conditions
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
Samnaun is a bit of an oddity, it is pretty isolated from the rest of Graubünden and is easier to reach from Austria. It is the only part of Graubünden (maybe in the whole of Switzerland) where the majority language is Bavarian German (same as Tirol). An odd take on a summer visit to the village https://www.hiddeneurope.co.uk/keeping-loyal-to-samnaun. It is a very different place to Ischgl, no brash loud apres or burger joints, though lots of "duty free" shops ( a result of a smart local 19th century mayor who played up the remote thing to persuade the cantonal authorities to give it duty free status) and "Wellness" hotels. From a ski perspective the only uplift to the skiing is via two cabin cars set in the gap between the two parts of the "village". Bus or car is likely to be the most practical option to get to the lifts in the morning though it is possible to ski back down to the two parts of the village. The piste down to Dorf is the lovely long red from the Palinkopf area, it is not so snow sure early and late season (there is a path link to the cable cars assuming valley level snow). There is a long blue down to Laret from Alp Trida, there have been various plans to build a lift here but none seem to have come to fruition. However there is now a plan (confirmed by a local referendum) to develop the area under Piz Ot for skiing, no idea what this will involve.
snow conditions
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
piz ot is quite away from Samnaun.... bloody long drive.
ski holidays
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
Ski the Net with snowHeads
@Bob, Piz Ot is on the Swiss side between Samnaun and Ischgl https://www.skiresort.info/ski-resort/ischglsamnaun-silvretta-arena/trail-map/. There might be other similar named peaks elsewhere.
snow conditions
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
Indeed, Piz Ot is just off the back of piste 80 shortly before you get unto Samnaum Dorf
snow report
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
I stand corrected Embarassed
ski holidays
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
Many thanks for all the info guys, all very informative.
latest report

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy