Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

What is the current situation regarding travel to Austria

Poster: A snowHead
@Fridge03, Went through LHR with Lufthansa a few weeks ago, much quicker than "normal". Lufthansa want you to upload the various documents before the flight to check them. The long queues seem to be a while back and more charter flights than scheduled.

The NHS app is accepted but is clunky to use, get Corona Warn or similar it will save you a lot of faff. You will need to show the QR code regularly (this might change next Saturday). FFP2 required everywhere. However it is becoming less of an issue. For example today in St Anton there was a security bod checking people going into the main gondola (buffs not allowed). After that the lifties were not bothering. You are supposed to wear them on chairlifts with bubbles but whilst most people made a show of wearing them in the queue they disappeared as soon as on the lift. I stopped for a coffee this morning, whilst people were wearing them to go to the loo, generally not as they got up to leave.
ski holidays
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
@Fridge03, you’re in luck – most restrictions *should* drop on 5th March, which means you shouldn’t need a vaccine pass in a restaurant, or an FFP2 mask. (Yes, NHS pass is fine, but if it’s not govt mandated, nobody will check it). You’ll still need the FFP2 for the supermarket/pharmacy/petrol station etc., so make sure you have some available. Probably still needed on cable cars, but probably not chairlifts. Check back next week for more accurate info as it comes out.

Incidentally, there was a clear shift today since last weekend of the following of regs (or lack thereof). It’s almost March, so close enough, right?
ski holidays
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Garfield wrote:
Worse places to be stuck than Salzberg
Had a night in Innsbruck last month curtesy of JET2 Madeye-Smiley
Waiting to get to the snow from LHR for starters

I saw someone who had their flight cancelled yesterday by BA from Heathrow, went to Luton and flew to Salzburg from there instead with EasyJet. I suspect it wasn’t cheap but I guess they weren’t prepared to wait around and just wanted to get there!
snow conditions
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
I arrived in Westendorf yesterday. My apartment owner asked me if I had been vaccinated, I said yes including the booster but they didn’t ask to see the evidence.
Went for a yummy meal last night and I wore my FFP2 mask into the restaurant, everyone else did too and the waiting staff were wearing masks. No request made for the Covid pass though which was a stark contrast to when I last stayed in Austria.
It was very busy in there with lots of Dutch guests so it felt pretty much normal!
snow conditions
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
@VolklAttivaS5, can I ask which restaurant?
latest report
 You'll need to Register first of course.
@Chris_n, yes sure, it was Glenni’s
First time there as I’d not been to the one in Niederau either (not been to Niederau skiing) but it was good value, good portion sizes and very tasty. Will go again whilst I’m here.
ski holidays
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Skied in Westendorf today, no Covid pass asked for anywhere apart from buying my lift pass. FFP2 masks are worn by pretty much all on the lifts and when queuing.
Snow is great.
Much, much busier this week compared to my last visit but then it would be anyway as it’s end of Feb instead of mid Dec! Feels more or less normal again.
snow report
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
VolklAttivaS5 wrote:
@Chris_n, yes sure, it was Glenni’s
First time there as I’d not been to the one in Niederau either (not been to Niederau skiing) but it was good value, good portion sizes and very tasty. Will go again whilst I’m here.
I thought it might be, the food is superb. My friend is the chef in Niederau and all of the recipes served in both restaurants are his. We go there in Niederau for heavily discounted ski instructor lunches everyday.
snow report
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
@Chris_n, where/who is the actual Glennie then? Must be the owner’s son maybe?

I noticed today that virtually everywhere wants payment in cash. Austria has always been very much a cash place but on my last 2 trips you could pay by card pretty much everywhere. Today there were lots of ‘cash only’ signs. The only time I used a card today was for my lift pass.
latest report
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
@VolklAttivaS5, Glenn is the son of the owner of the restaurants, he has Downs syndrome. The Dutch owner Paul also has a large appartment building here and also owns large holiday properties in Gerlos and somewhere in France. Apparently he is a regular on TV in Netherlands.
The pitch for the name Glennie's is shown on their website as 'My name is Glenn and I have Down Syndrome. Stubborn from time to time, stubborn, naughty, full of jokes, but also sweet and sociable. In short, just like you! Despite my handicap, I am passionate about my own restaurant. A dream come true for me and my family. We are happy to serve you unusually tasty dishes in an inspiring environment.'
ski holidays
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
Chris_n wrote:
@VolklAttivaS5, The Dutch owner Paul also has a large appartment building here and also owns large holiday properties in Gerlos and somewhere in France. Apparently he is a regular on TV in Netherlands

I knew about the DS and it makes sense that Glenn is their son. They’ve got the apartment complex next to the restaurant here too. Very nice.
I shall look forward to going back for dinner another time this week.
snow conditions
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
Good morning. Could someone report on EasyJet bag drop queues and security from Innsbruck airport (I have hold luggage and skis). Trying to work out how early to arrive. We fly back on Sunday. Thank you.
snow report
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
@Mountaindoc, got through Innsbruck airport with sleazy in around an hour yesterday (3 desks were open 18-20) which was right next to oversize. Queues were much longer for TUI and the longest queue was for the snack bar in departures....
snow report
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
@Snowsartre, thanks for the update!
latest report
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
@Snowsartre, thanks for the update!
snow report
VolklAttivaS5 wrote:
Garfield wrote:
Worse places to be stuck than Salzberg
Had a night in Innsbruck last month curtesy of JET2 Madeye-Smiley
Waiting to get to the snow from LHR for starters

I saw someone who had their flight cancelled yesterday by BA from Heathrow, went to Luton and flew to Salzburg from there instead with EasyJet. I suspect it wasn’t cheap but I guess they weren’t prepared to wait around and just wanted to get there!

BA should pay for a replacement flight.

At 5am yesterday in Zell am See, the insomniac in me checked my phone. Flight from Salzburg at 11am cancelled by text at 1am. Link they sent was just to "manage my booking" page, the Austrian phone number opens at 9am and the 0844 UK number not reachable from abroad. I guess the text message is what they defined as "proactively reaching out" to customers. Total BS - they just dump you, don't help at all, no duty of care unlike a tour operator would have. Quite disgraceful, though of course they won't have the staff to cope with hundreds of cancelled flights and tens of thousands of stranded passengers

Luckily, being awake that early I had beaten everyone else ...and got the last two CE tickets out of Innsbruck at 19:25 that day (ended up being 21;10)

Tickets were €691 each but BA's message on their site was that they'd pay the difference. Too right they will, plus the £220/€250 each compensation for the cancellation/delay. Plus the cost of longer taxi ride. Club didn't have middle seat empty, but fair enough to get more people home, but then it's really not much more than Economy with a VERY average small meal, a drink (and free ski carriage). Lounge at Innsbruck only accessible when previous BA flight left (also late).

My skis had arrived 3 days late in ZamS; they were routed LHR/VIE/SZG but someone hadn't realised that Austrian no longer fly VIE/SZG, so once in Vienna they were routed to Salzburg via... FRANKFURT!

Home at midnight.
snow conditions
Oh, and the pre-registration of vaccine and PLF with BA is a joke; never worked for me - OH used exactly same versions of documents and worked for her.
latest report
with the new rules from tomorrow will mask be compulsory in cable cars? I know they have to be worn on public transport ie buses and trains.
snow report
@radar, yes, cable cars inc Gondolas and covered chairs as well as the areas you queue in are classed as public transport.
snow conditions
Thanks @Chris_n,
ski holidays
Revised arrangements for the areas covered by the Alpin Card lift companies: https://www.kitzsteinhorn.at/en/service/latest/news-homepage/hygiene-safety
snow report
@radar, having looked further after looking at the link from @Austrian Seagull, it would appear they are no longer classifying lifts as public transport as far as masks go so no longer required.
snow conditions
@Chris_n, @Austrian Seagull, thank you both, I might still wear mine in the gondola.
ski holidays
Saw this in TT

Quote:
▶️ However , the FFP2 mask will remain in some areas across the country, wherever you can't really choose to go. This goes from supermarkets and pharmacies to drugstores and garages. Masks are still compulsory in public transport, but not in cable cars, coaches and excursion boats. In Vienna, the mouth and nose must continue to be covered with an FFP2 mask in general retail.

I assume the thought is that skiing is a voluntary activity so if you are concerned you dont go skiing whereas you would have to go to work on the bus (for example)
snow report
Also those that still want to wear their FFP2 masks in gondolas can still do so if they want.
I’m glad we don’t have to anymore but I might still wear mine sometimes.
They are handy to help stop things like ‘ordinary’ coughs and colds.
You can’t smell the boozy breath on people so easily either Laughing
ski holidays
@VolklAttivaS5, I’m with you will still have an FP2 in my pocket

snow conditions
I suspect it is going to lead to some issues in gondola queues. Last weekend there were clearly some nervous folk who were uncomfortable at the thought of sharing with others. They were trying to block other people getting in once they were in. No issue when it is quiet but when it is busy not practical.
ski holidays
@munich_irish, oh really?
I did see someone in Westendorf actually last Monday get in the gondola then put his leg across the seat with his body nearest the door so no one else could sit there on his bench. I didn’t think it was a Covid reason though as that was when we were still wearing masks and pretty much everyone in the queue had one on. Just think he was being an asshole but I wish the liftie managed the gondolas better so they were filled up.
There was massive ski school queue at the Alpenrosebahn, I got up too late so I got stuck in that queue, 30 mins it took to get on the lift the other morning, it would have been quicker if they filled the gondolas and had a singles line. They seem to be missing the singles line in Ski Welt for some reason Puzzled
snow report
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
Chris_n wrote:
@radar, having looked further after looking at the link from @Austrian Seagull, it would appear they are no longer classifying lifts as public transport as far as masks go so no longer required.

I was quite surprised to hear this. It felt quite strange to be out skiing today with 95% of skiers not wearing masks on any lifts and all the signs gone. Personally, I’d rather the rule had been kept in place, especially in the telecabins and stations.
snow conditions
VolklAttivaS5 wrote:
@munich_irish, oh really?
I did see someone in Westendorf actually last Monday get in the gondola then put his leg across the seat with his body nearest the door so no one else could sit there on his bench. I didn’t think it was a Covid reason though as that was when we were still wearing masks and pretty much everyone in the queue had one on. Just think he was being an asshole but I wish the liftie managed the gondolas better so they were filled up.
There was massive ski school queue at the Alpenrosebahn, I got up too late so I got stuck in that queue, 30 mins it took to get on the lift the other morning, it would have been quicker if they filled the gondolas and had a singles line. They seem to be missing the singles line in Ski Welt for some reason Puzzled

That's nothing we had one German in Auffach last week who hurdled the safety gate to try to get into an empty Gondola. He didn't quite make it and was half trapped in the door, by the time the lift stopped he was hanging onto the ski racks over the road outside (pics in link). A ski instructor grabbed a tarpaulin that was covering some sledges and with some others tried to break his fall. I guess they were successful as when quizzed by the police in hospital he told them he was afraid of catching Covid.
https://www.krone.at/2642169
snow report
Cacciatore wrote:
Chris_n wrote:

I was quite surprised to hear this. It felt quite strange to be out skiing today with 95% of skiers not wearing masks on any lifts and all the signs gone. Personally, I’d rather the rule had been kept in place, especially in the telecabins and stations.

In Kitzbuhel today the majority of people still seemed to be wearing them, in gondolas anyway.
latest report
@Chris_n, wow!
The effect it’s had on people is amazing in lots of different ways.
latest report
Just got to Mayrhofen. Flew from Heathrow to Munich. Picked up rental car and drove to resort. Been shopping and had a couple of beers.

No one has asked to see my CV19 travel pass once.
Had to wear the FFP2 on the plane, at Munich (where it was being actively enforced by police) and in supermarkets.
But the bars are rammed in town with dancing on the tables and much merriment with not a mask in sight.

Will be interesting to see how it is on lifts tomorrow.
snow report
VolklAttivaS5 wrote:
@Chris_n, wow!

I rather think it was the first half plausible excuse that came into his head when the police visited him in hospital. I also think his nose may be a little longer than it used to be.
snow conditions
Chris_n wrote:
VolklAttivaS5 wrote:
@Chris_n, wow!

I rather think it was the first half plausible excuse that came into his head when the police visited him in hospital. I also think his nose may be a little longer than it used to be.

Agreed!
latest report
radar wrote:
with the new rules from tomorrow will mask be compulsory in cable cars? I know they have to be worn on public transport ie buses and trains.

We arrived in Mayrhofen yesterday.

We went on the Ahornbahn large gondola Yesterday , around 1.30pm , it was 3/4 full and I would say only a handful were wearing masks . The whole place looks back to normal bars , restaurants , apres etc , only the supermarket ( Spar ) I saw mask wearing.
latest report
Masks not required on ski lifts in the Arlberg. At some lifts, eg the Ruffikopf cable car, there are signs saying “Masks Recommended”. Masks apparently need to be worn in the ski buses but, on a sample of 4 trips, there was less than 50% compliance.
snow report
Yesterday late afternoon I got the bus back to Westendorf from Kitzbuhel.
The bus driver was shouting at these kids (teens?) at the back of the bus to put their masks on and at one point he was banging his hand on the steering wheel whilst shouting at them. Things settled down but he got mad about 3 times with them, as far as I could understand the angry German language! I think they were messing about as well standing up and stuff so that may have been partly it!
Then once I got off at Westendorf a load of ski instructors, a few of which were carrying beer cans got on, most of them without masks on.
As I walked across the road I could see the driver was off out of his seat then telling them, arms waving etc.

So beware, some people take the mask wearing very seriously.
He also had the 2 front seats taped off so you couldn’t sit there so I think maybe he is afraid of catching Covid for whatever reason.
snow conditions
On the flip side - Although things might now look more ‘normal’, be under no illusion that covid has gone away. We went to St Anton 2 weeks ago and half our group of 8 caught covid. 3 other families I know that skied in France/Austria also caught covid during ski trips. All had to take time off work as claimed ‘mild symptoms’ turned out not so mild after all despite all being vaxxed.
ski holidays
@melandnick, it’s true it’s far from gone away.
latest report

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy