Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

What is the current situation regarding travel to Austria

Poster: A snowHead
Cheers, test is booked for the Friday (1 to 3 hour test) for travel on Saturday
ski holidays
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
kb36 wrote:
Cheers, test is booked for the Friday (1 to 3 hour test) for travel on Saturday

Very wise. Anything other than a 1-3 hour test taken the day before seems too risky when considering the cost of a skiing holiday.
snow conditions
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Not necessarily - a lot depends on your flight time and the reliability of the carrier and route. If I had a 0600 flight on Saturday then testing on Thursday via a Randox-type dropbox with results by end of Friday would be moderate risk because the chances of fixing a lost result are low, while a 1300 flight gives you a smaller window of overlap from a 1630 test, but if the result hasn't arrived by the end of Friday you have the option of a 1-3 hour emergency test at the airport or via a drive-through place on the way (assuming that spare test slots are available, of course).

With 1-3 hour tests costing £100 more than a next day result, it's maybe justifiable for a solo trip. For a family of 4, that's a big extra cost, so risk maths becomes a personal balancing act.
ski holidays
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
If you are anywhere near London, the Halo test centre at the LHR T5 Sofitel has got to be the best bet - £59 for a PCR with a pretty quick turnaround - I was told 'by 8am next day' when we flew in and did an arrivals test at about 3pm. In reality the results were with us by 10pm that night.

Not guaranteed 1-3 hours admittedly, but a good enough balance for me for a test that's needed within 48hrs of departure...

By the way, just a shout out from me on Bad Hofgastein, as I saw it mentioned... great resort, especially if you can stay in one of the hotels that has the underground tunnel connections to the huge Alpentherme complex (eg the Osterreichischer Hof or the Norica) - never seen such a huge jacuzzi in my life before!

Skiing was good too, although this was a few years back and was easier then to get the bus up to Angertal rather than take the old funicular from the town (probably been upgraded by now!)

Last edited by You need to Login to know who's really who. on Tue 11-01-22 18:15; edited 1 time in total
latest report
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
JimboS wrote:
Hi @russ_e, we are going left field this time, having been to all the bigger resorts countless times, we have friends who have been to Bad Hofgastien a couple of times and recommended it so we will join then there on Saturday. Feb it's Cervinia (changed from Schladming due to booster status of one of the crew) and March/April, the Hof of course.

Great stuff, we are off to Snowbombing this year if it happens. We originally booked in 2019!
snow report
 You'll need to Register first of course.
I think we will be there the same time as the comedy festival but have no idea if it will actually go ahead.
snow report
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
ousekjarr wrote:
Not necessarily - a lot depends on your flight time and the reliability of the carrier and route. If I had a 0600 flight on Saturday then testing on Thursday via a Randox-type dropbox with results by end of Friday would be moderate risk because the chances of fixing a lost result are low, while a 1300 flight gives you a smaller window of overlap from a 1630 test, but if the result hasn't arrived by the end of Friday you have the option of a 1-3 hour emergency test at the airport or via a drive-through place on the way (assuming that spare test slots are available, of course).

With 1-3 hour tests costing £100 more than a next day result, it's maybe justifiable for a solo trip. For a family of 4, that's a big extra cost, so risk maths becomes a personal balancing act.

Don't know where you are getting your tests, my 1 to 3 hour only cost me £75
latest report
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
kb36 wrote:
ousekjarr wrote:

Don't know where you are getting your tests, my 1 to 3 hour only cost me £75

Stansted airport Collinson is about £65 with a discount code. Why risk missing a flight for £100 or so even for a family of 4 if you can shop around for the tests.

Having said that same day tests in Cambridge itself are about £120, hence the drive to Stansted for a quicker cheaper test.
latest report
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
Factor in the travelling time and costs. Those aren't free either - 45 miles for me, plus a potential parking charge to access the drive-through test site. I've sent off my "dummy run" PCR today to Randox, so I can fill you in on their efficiency (or lack of it) tomorrow sometime. There was admittedly a momentary panic when I turned up at the GP surgery (6 miles away) which hosts their drop box only to find it surrounded by builders' hoardings as it is about to be refurbished or demolished, but the hoardings had a sign pointing to a small area on the end where the box was prominent.
latest report
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
Just to confirm the 120 day for booster isn't being checked at the airports (Innsburk)? As long as you have been boosted they let you in? One of our party had their booster on day 119...
ski holidays
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
Just to summarise the current Covid requirements for Adults travelling to Austria:

1. Check/save NHS QR code for 3rd vaccine jab.
2. PCR test less than 48 hours before arriving in Austria. £69

As we are travelling via Munich:
1. Complete German registration form on line prior to travel https://www.einreiseanmeldung.de/#/

Have I missed anything?
Is there any Austrian entry form?
snow report
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
I am travelling via Munich but couldn't complete German registration form without entering an address where I am staying in Germany. I thought if you were transiting out of country (by land) you didn't need anything. Did you manage to complete the form?
ski holidays
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
Ive rescheduled our holiday from 22nd Jan to 19th March....hopefully might be a little easier by then.
ski holidays
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
Germany registration form not needed if just "passing through".

https://einreiseanmeldung.de/#/

But then again...depending which other sources you read...

Last edited by You know it makes sense. on Tue 11-01-22 20:27; edited 1 time in total
latest report
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
@another planet, I’m told the answer is put the address of Munich Airport. Checking in with Lufthansa is, apparently, much easier if you complete the form.
snow report
fuzzydunlop wrote:
@another planet, I’m told the answer is put the address of Munich Airport. Checking in with Lufthansa is, apparently, much easier if you complete the form.

Great! Thank you very much. We are flying BA who keep emailing to say this form is missing. Will do as suggested
snow report
DidierCouch wrote:
kb36 wrote:
JimboS wrote:
Well I've got mine booked there on Thursday for a flight to Austria on Saturday and have no reason to believe it is not accepted.

Brave man, gonna be cutting it fine for 48 hour rule

@kb36, when's yours booked - Friday? That would concern me the other way...

I had good service out of Eurofins drive-through in Livingston at Christmas, the testing lab is right there after the sample is taken, so one less link in the chain to go wrong, potentially.

how quick were eurofins to return the test results. looking at same. also do you do the test yourself or do they do the deed
latest report
@mugen, for departure, we booked the 1-3hr PCRs on Christmas Eve and they were back in around the 3hrs. On our return, we booked standard Day 2 PCRs (as required then) - tested at 3pm, I got mine back at 10pm, the others arrived at 1am.

You stay in your car, they bring the test packs to you and you do the samples yourself then they collect and register the tests.
snow report
DidierCouch wrote:
@mugen, for departure, we booked the 1-3hr PCRs on Christmas Eve and they were back in around the 3hrs. On our return, we booked standard Day 2 PCRs (as required then) - tested at 3pm, I got mine back at 10pm, the others arrived at 1am.

You stay in your car, they bring the test packs to you and you do the samples yourself then they collect and register the tests.

thanks for the info, much appreciated
snow conditions
Has anyone got a decent PCR test provider for Leeds Bradford? The one at the airport is £99 for a 48 hour turnaround. I’m not sure how many they expect to sell as I can’t see it meeting anymore requirements.
ski holidays
snick25 wrote:
Just to confirm the 120 day for booster isn't being checked at the airports (Innsburk)? As long as you have been boosted they let you in? One of our party had their booster on day 119...

That’s correct - only interest is in 3rd jab.
snow conditions
I’m worried my mates booster won’t show on his nhs app by the flight 1700 Monday. He’s getting the booster 0930 Saturday! Will they accept the card as proof
Thanks
snow report
@Jones82, no, the card is not accepted as proof. Why leave it so late? Tell him to try a walk-in centre tomorrow, and take it from there. If he really can't get anything before Saturday, ask them for proof of vaccination at the appointment - they may not be able to provide anything, but if you don't ask...
snow conditions
Eh oh! thanks
ski holidays
Quote:

Has anyone got a decent PCR test provider for Leeds Bradford? The one at the airport is £99 for a 48 hour turnaround. I’m not sure how many they expect to sell as I can’t see it meeting anymore requirements.

We used DAM Health in the centre of Leeds. We did a 24-hour Fit to Fly PCR test at 16:00 on a Friday, and had the results 8 hours later. It cost £69
snow report
PCR test less than 48 hours before arriving in Austria.

Im going to Austria via Munich . I guess i know the answer .. but it doesn't stop when i land in Germany only when i drive through the Austrian boarder ... Just wondering about factoring in the Driving time .
we leave uk Sunday 06.55 and land 09.50
I'm a Bit worried as last time we had a flight delay and very heavy traffic from Munich to Kitzbhul Puzzled

Not going until beginning of March , so hoping it goes back to 72 hrs or dropped completely
snow conditions
Adam9 wrote:
facedown wrote:
Arrived at Innsbruck Saturday. Passport proof of recovery and into Austria
Resort level all bars asking for covid pass and ID curfew at 10pm strictly enforced
Lots of snow yesterday and looking good going forward

@facedown, Am I reading this right that they accepted proof of recovery in place of the PCR test or was it just in place of vaccination and you still had a PCR?

Sorry proof of recovery instead of booster. I also took PCR but they seem more interested in recovery than anything

The real pain is masks on a 2 man chairlift with no one about and minus 10 degrees but I suppose there’s a job to be done and there’s a consensus that one size fits all is best
ski holidays
@another planet, we had the same I completed the form using the airport address, saves any hassle with the agents at check in. I also had printed out proof of our accommodation in Austria
snow report
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
@snick25, we came through Salzburg on Sunday, I had the booster only saved into apple wallet and the border police were happy with that, along with the PCR test results and passport.

Border police control was after immigration.
snow conditions
I think it’s about time Austria revised its entry requirements. France and Italy now have bigger Omicron waves than the UK, yet they are not on the virus variant list (unless I’ve missed something). Omicron has been dominant in Austria for over a week. This is getting ridiculous!
snow report
wasley wrote:
we leave uk Sunday 06.55 and land 09.50
I'm a Bit worried as last time we had a flight delay and very heavy traffic from Munich to Kitzbhul

You are unlikely to be stopped by road, but if you are delayed and concerned, you can get another test in Munich airport when you land.]]

facedown wrote:
The real pain is masks on a 2 man chairlift with no one about and minus 10 degrees but I suppose there’s a job to be done and there’s a consensus that one size fits all is best

You don't need to wear FFP2 on the old 2-man chairs, and I haven't seen anyone enforcing this. Use your buff.
ski holidays
Scarlet wrote:

facedown wrote:

You don't need to wear FFP2 on the old 2-man chairs, and I haven't seen anyone enforcing this. Use your buff.

Just to add, I was at Galsterberg recently and they have an "uncovered" four person chair lift. There was no enforcement of mask wearing on that. Same story on the four-seater at Rittisberg (Ramsau). Nor the t-bar at Rittisberg. This may have all changed yesterday, with the new "wear masks outside" rule introduction.
snow conditions
For anyone wanting to fill in the German arrival form but then travelling on to Austria the address of Munich airport is (posted many pages above)

Munich Airport, Nordallee 25, 85356, Germany
snow report
Big numbers in Austria today after the kids went back to school and all got tested. Dirty Bombs everywhere!
latest report
For those hoping for an Annex I form to be completed by their GP to allow them to enter (and quarantine) without a negative PCR, my experience in trying to get that as a fallback has been entirely negative. First off the GP surgery were not very helpful but asked me to submit a request through their online system, and then they came back to me a week later with a phone call to say that they couldn't sign it because:

- the form requires "At least 14 days have passed since the first detection" and for me that would be 17 days by the time I arrive on Saturday 15th, but the GP would not sign the form on the 12th to say this as it would not be correct at time of signing, so they'd delay it until Friday 14th. Tight, but workable.

- the form requires "There have been no symptoms for at least 48 hours" and so the GP would want to examine me by the end of today to verify that I have no symptoms now, and again on Friday to confirm the 48 hour requirement, so that they could truthfully declare that I had no symptoms. Difficult, as they typically book appointments 5-7 days in advance apart from dire emergencies. Medical ethics, huh? rolling eyes

- and the real killer, the form requests the GP to certify that "there is currently no risk of infection", and that's an absolute zero statement which apparently no GP should ever agree to - if it said "minimal risk" or "no additional risk" then they'd be happy, but the presence of the two letters N and O mean that they will not sign it.

Fortunately, my strategy of ordering 2 PCR tests and taking one in advance has come up trumps - I swabbed at 15:00 yesterday, dropped the package into the Randox box locally at 15:30, had an acknowledgement of it arriving at the lab at 02:17, and had a negative result returned at 09:15 Cool

Now I just have to repeat the test tomorrow afternoon for real and hope that it also comes up negative, which of course is 99% likely. Packing can begin...
snow conditions
@ousekjarr, apologies, being a bit lazy.......perhaps i should check back further on the thread for my answer...have you recently recovered then ? hence the concern ? I ask because I'm in exactly the same boat - +ve test on 2nd Jan, so my concern is that I'll be able to pass a PCR late next week for a 22nd flight. My NHS app has just this morning sprung back into life and generating passes which is one hurdle cleared..........
snow report
@Timberwolf, I tested positive by LFT on 30/12, PCR on 31/12 confirmed. LFTs were faintly positive on days 6 and 7, clear on 8 and 9. PCR yesterday (day 12) came up negative, so I'm guessing that a combination of Omicron being generally perceived to have a shorter duration of active infection and my triple vaxed immune system has managed to clear it from my system pretty quickly. With the previous strains, I've seen data that suggests 14 days is the average time before a negative PCR is achieved, but that some people can have it persist for months which is why the NHS guidance is to avoid a repeat PCR within 90 days.

There's no guarantee that you will clear it on the same timescale, as bodies differ, but there is some hope that you can.

My NHS app is now showing 4 QR codes - 3 vaccine doses and a recovery.
ski holidays
ousekjarr wrote:
For those hoping for an Annex I form to be completed by their GP to allow them to enter (and quarantine) without a negative PCR, my experience in trying to get that as a fallback has been entirely negative. First off the GP surgery were not very helpful but asked me to submit a request through their online system, and then they came back to me a week later with a phone call to say that they couldn't sign it because:

- the form requires "At least 14 days have passed since the first detection" and for me that would be 17 days by the time I arrive on Saturday 15th, but the GP would not sign the form on the 12th to say this as it would not be correct at time of signing, so they'd delay it until Friday 14th. Tight, but workable.

- the form requires "There have been no symptoms for at least 48 hours" and so the GP would want to examine me by the end of today to verify that I have no symptoms now, and again on Friday to confirm the 48 hour requirement, so that they could truthfully declare that I had no symptoms. Difficult, as they typically book appointments 5-7 days in advance apart from dire emergencies. Medical ethics, huh? rolling eyes

- and the real killer, the form requests the GP to certify that "there is currently no risk of infection", and that's an absolute zero statement which apparently no GP should ever agree to - if it said "minimal risk" or "no additional risk" then they'd be happy, but the presence of the two letters N and O mean that they will not sign it.

Fortunately, my strategy of ordering 2 PCR tests and taking one in advance has come up trumps - I swabbed at 15:00 yesterday, dropped the package into the Randox box locally at 15:30, had an acknowledgement of it arriving at the lab at 02:17, and had a negative result returned at 09:15 Cool

Now I just have to repeat the test tomorrow afternoon for real and hope that it also comes up negative, which of course is 99% likely. Packing can begin...

Glad to hear you got a negative PCR in the end, but FWIW it's worth I got a UK GP to sign the form no problem (apart from the £40 charge haha!), even though it was inside the 14 day from test window - because I said (truthfully!) that symptoms had started before that test. Probably helped that I had a call with them on file from before the test too though.

On your/their second point, the form actually says "it can be assumed... that there is no risk of infection". Which to my reading at least is not quite such a categorical statement.
latest report
Thanks @ousekjarr. The 'dummy run' is one option i'd considered......were you not worried that if the result went the wrong way that the provider would be obliged to contact the NHS and then you would be back to square one ?
snow report
Day 9 and I’m still giving positive tests. I’m now a bit nervous about getting a negative PCR in 2 weeks time and only have 3 days to be declared recovered in time.
snow report

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy