Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

What is the current situation regarding travel to Austria

Poster: A snowHead
@JimboS,
Quote:

memory of our last ski holiday in 2020 when Austria locked down and our return flight was cancelled, the feeling of doom in the village towards the end of that week and then we both ended up with covid, that took the edge off the holiday.

+1….exactly, we were there too and both picked up Covid on evacuation 13th March 2020. I want to be nowhere near again, horrible experience. We’ve cancelled all ski plans until end March, come 10th January when Vienna realises the Omicron levels and what the consequences of a quick economic benefit has cost them I predict a drawbridge will be pulled up as the country enters full lockdown including lifts.

I’m sorry to sound pessimistic and for the sake of the locals I hope I’m wrong but it was not pleasant at the time and I see nothing to suggest that history is not being repeated.
snow report
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Flight to Innsbruck at 7am tomorrow, just got my (within 48 hours) pcr test from yesterday back - positive. Dammit!

Looks like I'll be staying in the UK a bit longer then...

FWIW, I had corona in Oct 2020, had a negative pcr test on 17th Dec, booster on 18th, day 2 test (on arrival) in the UK on the 18th was negative, from that evening I felt pretty wiped out for 4 days but assumed it was just a reaction to the booster - backed up by 3 negative lateral flow tests during to make sure. As I don't have symptoms now I'm now thinking that must have been 'proper' covid though which is still showing up on the pcr. Have only seen a couple of family members who had (and continue to) test negative on lateral flow, and the only other people I've been anywhere near was 10 minutes in a supermarket a few days ago.

Suppose it could be a false positive too, but will probably just hang out here until I can get a recovered certificate now! At least easyJet let me change the flight for free again (next attempt: 8th Jan)
ski holidays
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
@clarky999, oh mate, unlucky! I guess you're still going to need a neg PCR to get back in without quarantine though, however long that takes Confused Can you blag the free ones off the NHS before you shell out?
latest report
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
@Markymark29, you have been reading @stanton's posts Toofy Grin
ski holidays
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Scarlet wrote:
@clarky999, oh mate, unlucky! I guess you're still going to need a neg PCR to get back in without quarantine though, however long that takes Confused Can you blag the free ones off the NHS before you shell out?

Aaah damn, forgot about that! I will probably have to do an NHS pcr test to confirm... Maybe I can push that back a couple of days, hope it shows negative already, then only pay once more for a travel test rolling eyes
snow report
 You'll need to Register first of course.
Well, that's it, PCRs booked for 6th January for 8th January departure for a week in Westendorf. I'm putting myself into a self imposed isolation from today!
snow conditions
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
@munich_irish, not at all, got caught once, not again. Like I said I hope I’m wrong. The only way I’d go out now would be by car so I’d be in control, and that’s not possible hence the reason I’ve put plans on hold - getting out in the event of a lockdown and being dependent on flights is no fun.
latest report
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
Blighty1066 wrote:
Seriously thinking about just booking a package with crystal for a week but had a thought thats stopping me from hitting the button.....does anyone know what happens if another guest in the hotel tests positive? Will we be quarantined too?

No, an English guest tested positive here before their return flight on Monday. They are still in the same hotel, so have not been moved to a quarantine hotel either.
snow conditions
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
@Markymark29, he is making (not so) mysterious predictions about the 10th January
snow conditions
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
How empty does a flight need to be before it’s cancelled?

Just checked our Bristol-Salzburg flights end of January on EasyJet and there are only 40 reserved seats.

Jet2 same dates and same airports - only 29 seats reserved.

I’m sure both were showing many more seats reserved than that a few weeks ago.
ski holidays
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
johnboy wrote:
Well, that's it, PCRs booked for 6th January for 8th January departure for a week in Westendorf. I'm putting myself into a self imposed isolation from today!

We're headed there at the same time. It looks like we'll do the recovery cert I stead of PCR, so hoping someone uses that method this weekend to see if it works.

Are you in the Hotel Post by any chance?
snow report
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
Just to clarify, do you have to isolate if you use a recovery cert? There seems to be conflicting answers here.
ski holidays
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
Scarlet wrote:

Will the recovery cert not do instead of a negative PCR? Over here we're told not to do a PCR soon after recovery because you'll probably test positive even though you're now recovered and not infectious.

We're meant to be going next weekend, but both tested positive just before Christmas. I was asymptomatic but Mrs Doc is still a bit poorly. We'd hoped to get recovery certs, but if we need PCRs then the trip might be doubtful. We're both double vaccinated and boostered.
latest report
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
I'm due to fly into Innsbruck on the 8th for a week in Mayrhofen assuming the drawbridges haven't been pulled up by then.

Wish I bought some shares in some of these PCR test suppliers, looks like a licence to print money to me...
snow report
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
@Tom Doc, are you flying out from Ireland? The extra PCR test is due to the UK’s status as a variant area, but Ireland has been spared so far. Not sure about NI, but there’s some links on the previous page or two with more info (I posted about it this morning).
ski holidays
@Scarlet, From Belfast, so it might depend on the immigration officer's knowledge of our geography!

Ok, I'll have a read further back through the thread. Thanks.
snow report
Scarlet wrote:
@Tom Doc, are you flying out from Ireland? The extra PCR test is due to the UK’s status as a variant area, but Ireland has been spared so far. Not sure about NI, but there’s some links on the previous page or two with more info (I posted about it this morning).

Last time I checked NI was still in the UK.
snow conditions
I'm a bit doubtful about even trying to go, but I'll wait and see what this wkend brings - I think Seahoob is going having just recovered.
latest report
@munich_irish, no idea what he’s predicting, I don’t read his posts.
latest report
@Tom Doc,

Yes, we are in the Post! You too?
snow report
@johnboy, Yep.Did you book through Aaron Caddel by any chance?
snow conditions
@Tom Doc,

We did indeed! Great guy, always does our group trips though its just my 11 year old daughter and mother this time (Wife and 8 year old staying at home)
snow conditions
clarky999 wrote:
Suppose it could be a false positive too, but will probably just hang out here until I can get a recovered certificate now! At least easyJet let me change the flight for free again (next attempt: 8th Jan)

I don’t know how much it matters to you, but someone just posted elsewhere that they couldn’t get a recovery certificate from a private test, it has to be NHS apparently, so you’d need to get a positive one of those first Confused Something to do with lower test standards? FFS what are you even paying for?!
ski holidays
@johnboy, Yep, great guy and very laid-back. We've booked with him for years and he's always been good to work with. Hopefully see you there (or on the flight!).
snow conditions
@Tom Doc,

Cool, hopefully see you there!
latest report
Chris_n wrote:
Blighty1066 wrote:
Seriously thinking about just booking a package with crystal for a week but had a thought thats stopping me from hitting the button.....does anyone know what happens if another guest in the hotel tests positive? Will we be quarantined too?

No, an English guest tested positive here before their return flight on Monday. They are still in the same hotel, so have not been moved to a quarantine hotel either.

If they stayed put then surely it’s going to cost them a lot more than if they moved to the quarantine hotel? The quarantine hotel sounded like it was free according to the newspaper article where that family with the triplets stayed in one.
snow conditions
Scarlet wrote:
clarky999 wrote:

I don’t know how much it matters to you, but someone just posted elsewhere that they couldn’t get a recovery certificate from a private test, it has to be NHS apparently, so you’d need to get a positive one of those first Confused

Yeah I spotted that too. I'd rather get a negative pcr tbh! But if I continue to test positive for weeks I'll need something else, even if quarantine is then still required in AT...

Scarlet wrote:
Something to do with lower test standards? FFS what are you even paying for?!

Presumably Johnson's next election campaign wink
latest report
VolklAttivaS5 wrote:
If they stayed put then surely it’s going to cost them a lot more than if they moved to the quarantine hotel? The quarantine hotel sounded like it was free according to the newspaper article where that family with the triplets stayed in one.

Cant see the quarantine hotel continue being for free when it is packed and they have to open 5 more, Boris charges uk citizens over £2500 a week for the pleasure so cant see Austrians hosting uk citizens for free.

Last edited by So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much on Thu 30-12-21 7:18; edited 1 time in total
snow conditions
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
VolklAttivaS5 wrote:
Chris_n wrote:
Blighty1066 wrote:

The authorities told them to stay there, don't know whether the state is paying or their own insurance.
snow conditions
When my friends and I were quarantined in March 2020 we had to cover extra nights in the hotel ourselves, but when we were moved to the government quarantine places they were free.

We claimed the extra hotel nights on the insurance.
latest report
Markymark29 wrote:
@JimboS,
Quote:

memory of our last ski holiday in 2020 when Austria locked down and our return flight was cancelled, the feeling of doom in the village towards the end of that week and then we both ended up with covid, that took the edge off the holiday.

+1….exactly, we were there too and both picked up Covid on evacuation 13th March 2020. I want to be nowhere near again, horrible experience. We’ve cancelled all ski plans until end March, come 10th January when Vienna realises the Omicron levels and what the consequences of a quick economic benefit has cost them I predict a drawbridge will be pulled up as the country enters full lockdown including lifts.

I’m sorry to sound pessimistic and for the sake of the locals I hope I’m wrong but it was not pleasant at the time and I see nothing to suggest that history is not being repeated.

A chilling prediction. If what you predict comes through, ski resorts will close all over Europe just like 2020 and that could happen very suddenly, though I think Austria likely to be in somewhat better position than France and Italy as there recent lockdown effectively suppressed delta and they are starting from a low base, probably 2 weeks behind most of rest of Western Europe/UK. So I think right now or next week is probably good time to go to Austria, might be best time to go until March or even for rest of season!
snow conditions
blondends wrote:
How empty does a flight need to be before it’s cancelled?

Just checked our Bristol-Salzburg flights end of January on EasyJet and there are only 40 reserved seats.

Jet2 same dates and same airports - only 29 seats reserved.

I’m sure both were showing many more seats reserved than that a few weeks ago.

If it helps, the 24 Dec flight did fly.
So assuming EJ are not going to leave people stranded & would fly those people back to BRS - it hardly makes sense to fly an empty to plane to do so! (yes they can reposition another flight, etc. but that can mess up schedules).
As for reserved seats.. in my experience, it makes very little difference, as only a minority usually reserve. You can tell that by seeing how many people are waiting after priority boarding!
snow conditions
Quote:

Wish I bought some shares in some of these PCR test suppliers, looks like a licence to print money to me...

You’d think competition in the U.K. would bring the prices down. We’re meant to be a capitalist society with a conservative government. Out here in Austria you can get a same day ski-in ski-out PCR test for under 20 €uros.
snow report
SYL wrote:
Quote:

You’d think competition in the U.K. would bring the prices down. We’re meant to be a capitalist society with a conservative government. Out here in Austria you can get a same day ski-in ski-out PCR test for under 20 €uros.

Its all a pointless anyway.

My daughter has tested positive 4 days after last seeing her boyfriend who came down with it on Boxing day, she as passed numerous lateral flows and a PCR so all this shows the holiday paid for tests is just a smoke screen scam as she could have got into Austria for the last 3 days but was already infected proving they are pointless.
snow conditions
Swen wrote:
SYL wrote:
Quote:

Its all a pointless anyway.

My daughter has tested positive 4 days after last seeing her boyfriend who came down with it on Boxing day, she as passed numerous lateral flows and a PCR so all this shows the holiday paid for tests is just a smoke screen scam as she could have got into Austria for the last 3 days but was already infected proving they are pointless.

Then doesn't really show it's pointless though, just demonstrates the incubation period.
snow report
Chris_n wrote:
VolklAttivaS5 wrote:
Chris_n wrote:
Blighty1066 wrote:

The authorities told them to stay there, don't know whether the state is paying or their own insurance.

Ah I see. Well it’s a lot easier to stay put isn’t it, I’d be happy with that even if I had to stay in and do the isolation.
latest report

http://youtube.com/v/sxqvwkmTNy8

http://youtube.com/v/3lepQL1D9gU
latest report
SYL wrote:
Quote:

It has done a little bit but not much.
It is blatant profiteering IMO.
snow report
@VolklAttivaS5, in our case the hotel owner wanted us out of his hotel and kept asking the authorities to move us somewhere. This was early days of covid so a lot about the virus was unknown.
snow report
Jagerbull wrote:
@VolklAttivaS5, in our case the hotel owner wanted us out of his hotel and kept asking the authorities to move us somewhere. This was early days of covid so a lot about the virus was unknown.

Yeah I bet he did.
I think people are a bit more relaxed about it now much more is known.
snow report

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy