Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

What is the current situation regarding travel to Austria

Poster: A snowHead
@LittleBullet, depends where your final destination is. Tirol and Voralberg yes, any where else no.

Last edited by Poster: A snowHead on Wed 8-12-21 16:50; edited 2 times in total
snow conditions
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Chris_n wrote:
Cacciatore wrote:

Awesome conditions, incidentally Very Happy

Didn't really want to rub that in snowHead but it was awesome.

Toofy Grin
snow report
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
@Chris_n, heading to Zell am See - in which case we need to leave on the 13th?
snow report
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
@LittleBullet, Your question isn't clear. There is nothing to stop you travelling to Zell am See on 12th or 13th, but Zell am See is in Salzburgland which isn't opening up to tourists until 18th Dec 21. So unless you have your own place, you can't stay in Zell am See.

Last edited by You need to Login to know who's really who. on Wed 8-12-21 17:09; edited 2 times in total
snow report
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
@LittleBullet, no Zell am See is in Salzburg so hotels don't open until 18th. Sorry.

Last edited by Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do. on Wed 8-12-21 17:08; edited 1 time in total
snow conditions
 You'll need to Register first of course.
Serfaus-Fiss-Ladis is now planning to open on 12 December (had previously announced that they would open on 13 December).
ski holidays
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
@RedandWhiteFlachau, @Chris_n, apologies I should have been clearer, my concern is flying into Austria and getting through, as previously it was only business travellers. We would be staying in a self-catered apartment.
latest report
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
@LittleBullet, unless it's your own I don't think that is allowed, you would have to check with your accommodation provider. There is no restriction on flying in to Austria.

Last edited by After all it is free Go on u know u want to! on Wed 8-12-21 17:17; edited 1 time in total
snow conditions
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
I'm flying out to innsbruck on 13th and on to Obergurgl with Crystal, will that be going ahead OK?
ski holidays
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
One question - following the government meeting today were there any changes to entry requirements? I haven’t seen anything so I’m assuming no test required for fully vaxxed?
latest report
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
@Shunt, no reason why it wouldn't.

Last edited by snowHeads are a friendly bunch. on Wed 8-12-21 17:20; edited 1 time in total
snow report
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
@marcs44, correct, no changes.
snow report
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
@LittleBullet, @Chris_n, Is correct, it is not allowed. The owner is responsible for implementing all existing protocols. If they fail to do so, they are liable for substantial fines. We have cancelled our guests for that week. I'm not actually aware of the penalty for you if you were caught in said apartment but it might also be quite substantial. Sorry to be the bearer of bad news. I've got space in Wagrain from 12 Mar 22 if that's any good to you?

Last edited by So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much on Wed 8-12-21 17:27; edited 1 time in total
ski holidays
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
Chris_n wrote:
@Shunt, no reason why it wouldn't.

Brilliant, thanks Chris.
snow conditions
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
So sorry to ask. New to this forum thing! Due to arrive in Obertauern on 15 Dec. Staying in a hotel. Open or no? Not heard back from hotel.
If no, any recommendations of resorts and hotels good for a family (ski in ideally and a pool for the groms) which will be open and within a few hours of Munich?
Thanks so much!
snow report
RedandWhiteFlachau wrote:
@LittleBullet, @Chris_n, Is correct, it is not allowed. The owner is responsible for implementing all existing protocols. If they fail to do so, they are liable for substantial fines. We have cancelled our guests for that week. I'm not actually aware of the penalty for you if you were caught in said apartment but it might also be quite substantial. Sorry to be the bearer of bad news. I've got space in Wagrain from 12 Mar 22 if that's any good to you?

Fines for accommodation providers can be up to 30,000€ Shocked .

We had to look into this recently following an enquiry for accommodation for “essential workers” for this and next week. I’ve no idea what the penalty is for guests but, last year fines awarded against guests staying in a hotel in a neighbouring town were substantial i.e. in the thousands. In that particular case it was a Kur hotel, inviting close relatives of recuperating (legitimate) guests to stay as well. That didn’t end well for all concerned!
snow conditions
Saltwood wrote:
So sorry to ask. New to this forum thing! Due to arrive in Obertauern on 15 Dec. Staying in a hotel. Open or no? Not heard back from hotel.
If no, any recommendations of resorts and hotels good for a family (ski in ideally and a pool for the groms) which will be open and within a few hours of Munich?
Thanks so much!

Unfortunately, Obertauern is in Salzburgerland, which isn’t opening for hotels until the 18th (as someone posted above). I suspect your hotel may well be trying to contact a lot of guests re the current situation, which has only really just become clear. It’s a public holiday in Austria today and, as they are closed at the moment anyway (lockdown), there may not be anyone around to deal with your enquiry today.

Sorry, can’t help with the second question.
snow conditions
@Saltwood, See earlier posts. Salzburgland accommodation closed to tourists until 18 Dec 21. Sorry. If you are really up against it, I can reccommend the folks at Nordic Blowfish in Sonthofen. Stay at one of their lodges, great little ski areas to explore and the pool bit is covered by regular trips to the Wonnemar. So all in Germany and they have space, I checked. https://www.nbfalpineadventures.com/ https://www.wonnemar.de/sonthofen/ Keith Jenns is an old buddy of mine. Good luck.
snow report
From the serfaus website, but may be of interest to all British travellers to Austria with kids aged 12+:

For school-age Austrian children between 12 and 15 years of age, the Corona test pass (ninja pass) is equivalent to 2G proof. The prerequisite for this is that the pass provides evidence of the regular test intervals for the current week. The pass is valid up to and including the Sunday of the test week. During school holidays, a PCR test is required as proof for school-age Austrian children between the ages of 12 and 15 (currently valid for 72 hours). For children between the ages of 12 and 15 from abroad, we still expect a uniform Europe-wide regulation.
snow conditions
@Noymychashkachaia, they can expect all they want, nothing is in place yet. Maybe the new tourism minister well get onto it asap but I'm not holding my breath for Christmas. Bear in mind this also affects German and Dutch children who may not yet be fully vaccinated and are a far higher proportion of tourists than Brits.
latest report
Yes indeed @Chris_n which probably means PCR testing for teenagers.
snow conditions
Saltwood wrote:
Thanks so much!

Obergurgl (Tyrol) probably fits the bill quite nicely. About a 3h drive to Munich, medium size family friendly resort with many large hotels that have swimming pools. Serfaus (Tyrol) would also be worth checking out.
ski holidays
@Noymychashkachaia, At some as yet undefined point in the future.
latest report
ski_free wrote:
Saltwood wrote:
Thanks so much!

Obergurgl (Tyrol) probably fits the bill quite nicely. About a 3h drive to Munich, medium size family friendly resort with many large hotels that have swimming pools. Serfaus (Tyrol) would also be worth checking out.

Serfaus is fantastic for kids. This will be our 5th trip there. It's about a 3h drive from Munich, but it can take longer if the roads are busy. You can also take the train to Landeck and then either ski bus or taxi onwards.
snow report
Good news today, I'm planning to go to Solden on December 16th, let's hope nothing changes in the next few days Madeye-Smiley
snow conditions
@RedandWhiteFlachau, @Chris_n, thank you both very much, should our paths cross offline I'll buy you a drink. Our host just confirmed so we need to "pivot" to a different resort or delay departure......
ski holidays
Oh God, thought we were home and dry but the British government is now also holding a press conference today. Just decide on restrictions and stick to them!
ski holidays
Thanks all very much.
Crikey, don't know where to start with Tyrol resorts.
Here's a list of wants and sorry to ask, don't know that part of Austria very well:
Hotel with childcare and a pool
Ski in out or close enough
Probs not much more than 2 hours from Munich (small ones)
Good snow at the mo and looking good for next week!
Resort big enough for adults to explore for four hours per day while kids in ski school / childcare.
With even more thanks in advance.
snow conditions
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
Is mayrhofen or soll the sort of vibe I'm looking for? Normally ski Italy but went to Austria a couple of years ago before the world shut and loved it.
snow report
@Saltwood I can't advise specifically on Mayrhofen or Soell, but if you look up Kinderhotels, they have hotels all over Austria which would tick your first box (hotel with pool and childcare). Pricy though.
snow report
Ah brilliant. Thank you. Will look up kinder hotels. Pricey for sure but makes a trip with small ones much easier. Thanks for the help everyone.
snow report
@Saltwood, there are plenty of hotels with pools etc in Mayrhofen, many are close to the Penkenbahn (main) lift to the slopes. The town is very pleasant and quite family friendly. I wouldn’t describe it as at all ski in/out, or even close.

Without wishing to rain on your parade (you’ve had enough of that, I imagine, with the extended lockdown etc in your first choice holiday), my guess is that many skiing holiday makers will also have had disrupted plans and may well be looking at those areas that are opening from the 12th as an alternative. Is it worth seeing if a change of dates is an option? I had a very quick look at availability in Mayrhofen (pools/childcare) and didn’t see a huge variety. It was a quick look, that said.
ski holidays
@Saltwood, I think Obergurgl would be a better choice than Mayrhofen as you can ski into the town and it will be a very short walk to wherever you stay, You can also have a day out at the aqua park in Langenfeld and also nip down to Solden and have lunch in the James Bond restaurant.

https://www.aqua-dome.at/en/thermal-spa/

https://www.iceq.at/en/

Mayrhofen to me has always felt like a party resort.
snow report
Thanks Gad. Obergurgl looks great. Just not sure the small ones will love the transfer after drive from darkest kernow and early flight. If can't get closer, I'll book there as have always heard good things for family ski. Thanks again.
ski holidays
@Saltwood, I know you said two hours but another hours driving would be worth the effort in my humble opinion. Obergurgl and Solden are great places for a family holiday.
snow report
Quote:

Mayrhofen to me has always felt like a party resort.

Oh yes, I remember them!
snow report
@stanton is very quiet, this positive news is not good for the troll
latest report
So based on todays changes, will "recovered" still be a valid reason to a. enter the country, without quarantine or test, and b. use hotels/restaurants/lifts etc.

My 11 and 13 year old both had covid in Oct but are both currently unvaxxed (youngest not elligble and eldest has to wait 12 weeks since infection). We've got them both the Austrian certificate of recovery template completed, signed and stamped with the positive PCR email attached for good measure : https://www.ris.bka.gv.at/Dokumente/Bundesnormen/NOR40234210/II_222_2021_Anlage_4.pdf

... And Tyrol should be open before Christmas ?
ski holidays
Can anyone point me to any news from the Tyrol in regard to Government announcements. I think the region is opening soon but would like to read any local news on the subject.

Thanks
ski holidays
@Tom H, try googling specific resorts.

St Anton is opening on 12 Dec… https://www.stantonamarlberg.com/en/blog/news/covid19-safety-measures
snow report

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy