Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

What is the current situation regarding travel to Austria

Poster: A snowHead
Kurz posted his Easter statement as a video on FB, because that's how we do things now rolling eyes Anyway, apparently the target that should be met everywhere except Vienna Puzzled is for all over 65s to be vaccinated by the end of April, then over 50s in May, and everyone else in June. Everyone eligible for a vaccine should have received at least one dose in the next 100 days.

Gastronomy, tourism and sports should be able to reopen in May, as the pressure on hospitals eases. There were some nice graphs in the paper this morning for this, I'll try and post them.

No further info though, or mention of borders yet.

This shows the number of currently occupied ICU beds (red) vs the maximum number used in the Nov/Dec peak:

This shows the number of ICU beds in use in each state between Oct 20 and April 21:

It is easy to see from these diagrams how stark the E/W difference is, and why western Austria has escaped the Easter lockdown of eastern states. Apparently the large outbreaks in Kufstein and Schwaz (both Tirol) in Feb/March produced zero ICU patients, and helped to justify the lack of heavy intervention.
snow report
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
@Scarlet, thanks...useful. I somehow missed Kurz’s Easter “message”.
snow report
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
I think Eastern Austria has somehow managed to escape the lockdown too...judging from the vast numbers of cars from those affected regions around here... Laughing
snow report
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
@Scarlet, thank you for the update
latest report
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Thank you @Scarlet, looking more positive on the vaccination schedule, which makes me feel positive for the summer, there is a bottle go toffee vodka in the freezer that needs to be checked Very Happy
latest report
 You'll need to Register first of course.
I Just paid the balance on my trip booked for 26th June to the Hof, feeling slightly more positive about the chances of it happening after seeing the update, but still no more than 50/50 in my optimistic book.
ski holidays
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
@JimboS, I’m not yet optimistic enough to have booked anything this summer (though tbf I’m not much of a planner with that, we'll just go), but I have bought tickets for the comedy festival in Mayrhofen next March, so I’m definitely hoping it’s on Very Happy
snow conditions
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
Summer Bookings slow but steady at the moment, no Brits though. Winter 21/22 Fully Booked through to Mid-March, again no Brits. Some folks are going to be disappointed if they don't book soon.
snow conditions
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
I'm already booked in for next Winter and flight. Very Happy
snow conditions
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
@davidthornton, Me too. Maybe it was a coincidence but both the hotels I was looking at in St Anton are planning on not opening till January 6th. Surely, in normal times, things would get going in time for Christmas and New Year.
ski holidays
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
RedandWhiteFlachau wrote:
Summer Bookings slow but steady at the moment, no Brits though. Winter 21/22 Fully Booked through to Mid-March, again no Brits. Some folks are going to be disappointed if they don't book soon.

just had a look on the booking agents there seems to be a reasonable choice of dates and accommodation available in the hotels of the places ive looked ,though it appears that not places are taking bookings yet,Those that are usually with good cancellation policies ,im just keeping a watching brief atm but am fairly sure we will need proof of vaccination to travel without too much hassle .A lot will depend on the workingS between the governments re policy even if the disease is under control for most which as yet it isnt
snow report
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
@ski for fun, the Serco NHS app may not be accepted by Austria and other countries as proof. The grunen pass Austria is working towards won’t speak to the Serco app etc etc. How will prove I have had a vaccine? I received a card more akin to the cards all students use to fake to buy alcohol. It’s a bit of card...!

Last edited by And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports. on Mon 5-04-21 11:46; edited 1 time in total
snow conditions
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
Hopefully there will be lots info tonight from Bozo but I suspect it won’t become clear until we actually try to go abroad in the summer.
snow conditions
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
To me its more important what the entry requirement will be for Austria, Germany, Belgium and France, Boris can say we can travel but will they let us in and what proofs will they need that we have either had teh vaccine or are covid free
ski holidays
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
@radar, Here in Germany, the health minister, Jens Spahn, yesterday was publicly proposing that people who are fully vaccinated will be exempt from any quarantine etc. This is not yet decided upon (things currently all doom & gloom here) but it does indicate a direction of travel, no mention either of non EEA citizens. Sebastian Kurz has been making similar noises for a while. The UK government seems to be looking along those lines too.
snow conditions
Matrix wrote:
Hopefully there will be lots info tonight from Bozo but I suspect it won’t become clear until we actually try to go abroad in the summer.

You're expecting Bozo to have his mind on any sort of useful detail? Good luck with that!
latest report
@Dave of the Marmottes, tongue in cheek Smile
snow report
The infection rate is dropping (approx. 234) but the lockdown in East Austria has been extended by a week to the 18th April.
ski holidays
@DB, I’m interested to see whether it’s dropping due to restrictions or because half the test centres are closed...
latest report
Scarlet wrote:
@DB, I’m interested to see whether it’s dropping due to restrictions or because half the test centres are closed...

Me too. Hopeful that the recent sharp drops over the last couple of days are real but suspect it‘s related to the Easter holidays affecting the test results.
snow conditions
The 7 day incidence/100,000 is now at 213, so finally heading down.

The Vorarlberg, which was at 130, and opened gastronomy under guidelines, is now at 149. It could be a coincidence, but I suspect not.
snow report
@JimboS, I'll join you if Nicola will let me Smile
latest report
Some good news (though not directly related to Austria). From Sunday Germany no longer classifies the UK or some parts of Ireland as "risk areas" see here for the details in English. Which means there are no restrictions like quarantine for anyone arriving from those places. I would assume if the RKI has made this decision others will follow. Of course (assuming you can actually leave the UK) there is nothing to do once you get here as most things are closed and the restrictions could well get tighter next week! Better off wrapped up in layers of clothing outside a pub in the UK! It is going to be a few weeks before things get better here and in Austria though the vaccination programme is rapidly accelerating in both countries.
snow conditions
Realistically I`m not assuming to be able to drive over without any quarantining etc until at least July at the earliest IMHO
ski holidays
@jafa, Mid August imv
ski holidays
Today’s announcement from Chancellor Kurtz suggests that lockdown may end mid-May with FFP2 masks, 2m distancing and vaccinations being the required criteria for being able to be “out and about”...presumably for gastronomy and staying in accommodation.

My money is on the end of May/beginning of June but, we shall see.
snow conditions
@munich_irish, just got the gov.uk email confirming the changes, took your advice and had a chilled beer Toofy Grin
snow report
@jafa, @Markymark29, I think you are being too pessimistic. If you fly you can come to Germany (assuming from UK) without restrictions from Monday onwards (though you might have to check with Boris first Smile ). It is going to be a few weeks before driving is possible ie until Holland, Belgium & France get taken off the naughty step. It is also going to be a few weeks too before the UK is going to be happy to put most European countries onto its "green" list but most other European countries are only a matter of weeks behind the UK (it is a bit odd to be saying that the rest of Europe is behind the UK but there is always a first time for everything). Far better to look on the bright side here.
snow conditions
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
@munich_irish, I hope you’re right, I just don’t share your optimism right now regards our ability to travel unrestricted for 3-4 months yet. I’d personally rather have it that way than spending the Autumn in another lockdown tbh. We’re due to drive to Arlberg Mid/ end August for 2 weeks, keeping everything crossed that we can hike and bike the mountains we miss. Before that it’s the Hebrides.
snow report
Slowly improving rate of infection and vaccine take up picking up pace. Doing very well versus other Europe now.

https://graphics.reuters.com/world-coronavirus-tracker-and-maps/countries-and-territories/austria/
snow report
Unfortunately my 1st week of June trip will be unlikely to happen but I have fingers crossed for the summer.

There doesn’t seem to be any info yet on a vaccine/test passport for UK. Is there any further update on the Gruner Pass? Or how 3rd country individuals will gain entry?
snow report
@Matrix, More accurate vaccination info here: https://info.gesundheitsministerium.at/ You can change it to English in the top left.

It was announced this week that Tirol, Vorarlberg and one other state would move to phase 3 (everyone else) this week, so as Tirol is the frontrunner, I'm hoping I won't be waiting too much longer.

Haven't seen any more info on the Green Pass, though tbh, being at the back of the queue for vaccination I'm not particularly supportive. I'll post it here if anything comes up.
ski holidays
@Matrix, not sure you are right about doing better than elsewhere. The vaccine programme is about the same as Germany (see https://ourworldindata.org/covid-vaccinations ) and the 14 day rate is above Germany, Italy, Spain let alone UK (see https://npgeo-corona-npgeo-de.hub.arcgis.com/app/e6acbf22cc4f4b85949f59734244ba71). That said things are improving and things are looking more optimistic even if[ b]@Scarlet[/b], hasnt had her jab yet.....
latest report
@munich_irish, I had thought Germany case rate was still rising whereas Austria falling?

Anyway hopefully the economy will open up.
snow report
@munich_irish, Have you had a jab yet? AFAIK, people in my age category/risk group have not been offered a jab anywhere in the world as yet, unless they qualify for another reason (e.g. they are a doctor). Maybe in some parts of the US/Israel they are hitting that group now.

@Matrix, It seems that some areas will start to open in May, but probably with such hefty restrictions that it won't make a lot of difference to the economy rolling eyes
latest report
@Scarlet, doctors around me (South London) offering to 40+ now. Several of my friends in early 40s getting first jab.
latest report
@Matrix, It's still a little while before I'm 40 wink
snow report
@Scarlet, lucky you!!!
snow conditions
Colleague at work 38 yo had his on Sunday, loads of spare doses around if you are prepared to be flexible and go at short notice apparently, rather than them throwing it away if opened.
latest report
We had our 1st injections yesterday - a last minute opportunity, that we’d previously made ourselves available for. Happy about that.
snow report

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy