Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

What is the current situation regarding travel to Austria

Poster: A snowHead
It would seem that travel to Austria from the UK is possible, without isolation on arrival, as long as you have not been in certain areas of the UK recently:

https://www.gov.uk/foreign-travel-advice/austria/entry-requirements
snow conditions
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
@Poogle, only until 19 December
latest report
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
radar wrote:

Many thanks for that correction. So from what I understand, Austria is bringing in restrictions over Christmas and New Year, to stop the festive transmissions of the virus? And all this will be reviewed at some point it seems.
snow report
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
Poogle wrote:
radar wrote:

Many thanks for that correction. So from what I understand, Austria is bringing in restrictions over Christmas and New Year, to stop the festive transmissions of the virus? And all this will be reviewed at some point it seems.

Sounds about right. I'm due out there on the 9th January! So I can only hope the plans for after is to go back to no quarantine, otherwise my trip is being cancelled!
snow conditions
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
@Poogle, my understanding is that the new quarantine requirement begins on Monday 7th December. Only Der Standard has reported 19th December as the start date, all other Austrian news sources report 7th December. In any case, tourism is not allowed before at 10th January.
ski holidays
 You'll need to Register first of course.
@Poogle,

radar wrote:
thought I would do a summary on the current status, think I've got it all

Lifts open 24 December

Hotels / accommodation / restaurants open 7 January

Entry / re-entry requirements from 19 December to 10 January , if arriving from a country with a 14 day incident rate of more than 100 positive testes per 100,000, then you must isolate for 10 days you can opt to take a paid for test after 5 days should it be negative you are free to roam

All of Austrias neighbours are above the minimum infection rate, the UK is currently 348 (at 2 Dec), you can check the infection rate at https://www.ecdc.europa.eu/en/cases-2019-ncov-eueea

Curfew is extended until 6 January applies between 8pm to 6am
snow report
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
@queenie pretty please, orf and Die Presse are also saying 19 ?
ski holidays
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
A couple of weeks ago, we were discussing the announcement of Austria's mass testing plan. For anyone interested in how it is working, today I received the invitation. Despite the health minister announcing that it would all be done via online registration and QR codes, I have received two A4 paper forms (and no web link/QR stuff, so in Tirol at least, that info was bobbins) to be filled in and taken to the test centre (unspecified). I have then also received a local mail drop (to the householder) stating that people in my street should report to a building in the village in a 3hr window on Sunday morning (building known as X, but no address rolling eyes I guess they figure that everyone would know it because they've all lived here since the dawn of time) with their handful of paperwork. All positive rapid antigen tests are to be referred for a PCR test in the city. The mass test is for asymptomatic cases only, if you have symptoms you are supposed to call the hotline and get a PCR test.
latest report
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
@radar, the government's own website has not yet been updated, but most news sources are reporting from 7th December which is when the measures announced yesterday will start. In any case, there is no tourism allowed before 10th January.
snow conditions
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
Hey folks..

I would not bank on Austria opening Jan7/10th to Foreign Tourism..

December Holiday's in Austria, Germany , UK , NL etc are almost certainly going to lead to a rise in CV19 Contamination..

Quarantine Restrictions will have to be lifted into Austria & return Home Country.

Mass immunisation will NOT happen over the Winter for the Wintersporters (who would almost be last in line)

Moreover .. Winter Tourism business model in Austria is based on FULL ON Jan-March.

The word "Quarantine" is a Tourism killer.

It will be cheaper for businesses to rely on quite generous Government Support Scheme's than hire staff & open and make a loss.

This season may remain just a Local's season ...

As I have always stated on here for this season.

Covidiots on here still making plans to travel against all advice to stay at home. Shocked Shocked

Winter Sports is not essential travel. Your just making a problem worse.

STAY AT HOME
ski holidays
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
@Scarlet, friends here have received a letter with a QR code. I assume I will be excluded.
ski holidays
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
queenie pretty please wrote:
@Poogle, my understanding is that the new quarantine requirement begins on Monday 7th December. Only Der Standard has reported 19th December as the start date, all other Austrian news sources report 7th December. In any case, tourism is not allowed before at 10th January.

Any idea what they'd do to people arriving on 9th January? As in, if we got there 9th and then started our skiing on the 10th would it be likely to cause problems? I'm not sure what the quarantine system has been like in Austria. Logic dictates that they'd put you in quarantine and then on the 10th you'd just be subject to the same restrictions as anyone else so if they get rid of quarantine you'd be free to enjoy yourself.

I suppose we'll get more clarity nearer to the time. Good job I can cancel the accomodation up to 1 day before the trip!
latest report
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
@Pastorius, we don't yet know if the quarantine restrictions will continue from 10th January, it's very dependent on infection rates. I expect there will be an announcement the week before. My gut feeling is that the quarantine restrictions will remain, but I have nothing to substantiate that.
snow conditions
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
@queenie pretty please, Yes, I think if you've had a recent positive you're exempt, which makes sense. I think the internet stops at the border of Salzburg rolling eyes
ski holidays
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
@Scarlet, I think you’re right! People in our block think it’s from the dark side

Last edited by Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name: on Thu 3-12-20 13:43; edited 1 time in total
latest report
There will certainly be concerns about the February high season (not least amongst those who are still hoping to bring their children skiing).
snow report
@radar, it is the 19th, the government website has been updated, I just needed to clear the cache. But in any case the tourism ban is already effective and has been since early November.
snow conditions
@queenie pretty please, thanks, have someone friends going out for the winter who are thinking getting out before it changes.
ski holidays
Poogle wrote:
It would seem that travel to Austria from the UK is possible, without isolation on arrival, as long as you have not been in certain areas of the UK recently:

https://www.gov.uk/foreign-travel-advice/austria/entry-requirements

But what about returning to the UK, I cant see whether we still have to self isolate for 14 days or not>
snow report
@jafa, you still have to quarantine on your return, it’s not on the corridor list

Last edited by Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do. on Thu 3-12-20 14:46; edited 1 time in total
snow conditions
I can legally go I suppose as we have an apartment there, and it would be a Stanley Johnson trip, getting it ready for any guests that we may have soon.
ski holidays
@jafa, that seems to be a way to do it, you might want to check with your travel insurance provider or your car one as well if you are driving
snow report
@stanton,
Quote:

Hey folks..

December Holiday's in Austria, Germany , UK , NL etc are almost certainly going to lead to a rise in CV19 Contamination..

Quarantine Restrictions will have to be lifted into Austria & return Home Country.

I actually think you're right......
snow report
Markymark29 wrote:
@stanton,
Quote:

Hey folks..

I actually think you're right......

Don't feed the beast! Almost certainly right but you don't encourage it do you...
ski holidays
@Pastorius, Toofy Grin Toofy Grin
latest report
Means our favourite troll won’t be able to ski in St Anton though!
ski holidays
@DJL, if rumours are true he is not even in Austria, and not likely to be let back in in the near future!
snow report
munich_irish wrote:
@DJL, if rumours are true he is not even in Austria, and not likely to be let back in in the near future!

Precisely!
latest report
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
I was checking a bit ORF news yesterday evening, and I understand that from 19.12. you need to go to quarantine when entering Austria (19.12. was in ORF news at 22:00 yesterday, and also on ORF web it says, 19.12.). I also understand there's no changes to current situation for business travelers, but I didn't manage to get any info regarding single day trips? Any Austrian locals or "locals" have any info regarding this?
ski holidays
@Markymark29, I agree as well as it only takes a couple of weeks of people mingling and it kicks off again
latest report
@primoz, pretty sure day trips are OK. There are thousands of people who cross the borders to work in Austria each day.
snow conditions
@queenie pretty please, I certainly hope they are. Thanks Smile
snow conditions
I dont understand the maths here. Why are lifts opening? Who gets to not lose money?

If hotels and restaurants are closed, is that not an even bigger hole in the local economy than the ski lifts being closed?

Will the lift company break even selling passes only to locals and day trippers? I assume it would be limited opening to save

If only locals and the type of day trippers who will actually show up, probably they will have all their own gear, wont need guides or instructors, wont be shopping etc

Just dont get the business model
ski holidays
@peanuthead, agreed, it cant be sustainable
snow conditions
@peanuthead, there are government support packages for all tourism-related businesses. The lift companies are of course already incurring considerable costs, land lease, staff costs, etc. So any money they can earn from day passes and season passes will at least mitigate some of their losses and reduce the amount of support needed from the government.

Plus the shops will be open. Many day trippers rent gear for the day, buy gear, etc. So that will hopefully mitigate some of their losses too.
ski holidays
@peanuthead, there's more then just electricy or diesel for pistenbullies. There's whole bunch of season tickets sold, and if lifts dont work certain amount of days, you can demand money back. Then there's kot of locals and other daily skiers, so it's not all for nothing. But yeah, there's not gonna be much of profit, if any at all.
snow report
Thanks @trainee snowboard jedi, and @radar for your advice.

All the best!
ski holidays
Re Season Tickets

It looks like how much the season card holder is refunded depends on how many days they have skied.

I anticipate that many locals will go skiing more when the ‚bloody tourists‘ are not around.

https://www.weekend.at/bundesland/salzburg/ski-saisonkarten-geld-zurueck-bei-totalsperre-0
latest report
@queenie pretty please, I assume there wont be many people renting skis, the people likely to rock up will have their own gear.

Yeah presume they will have very few lifts open and pistes bashed to keep costs down. Would a 2- week-worth refund on season ticket really offset cost of opening? Would staff costs not be paid by government while furloughed like everywhere else?

Just wondering, do you think there is possibility recent opening announcement is all for show and in a week or so they will just announce that they wont open lifts for Christmas after all because cases still too high?
ski holidays
For many lift companies eg the Arlberg, there is a public transport obligation as part of their operating licence. This means that the lift companies have to run some sort of service on pre published dates except if forced to close by weather conditions etc. There was at attempt a while ago by one of the lift companies, Axamer Lizum I think, to make a request to the government in Innsbruck to suspend that part of their operating licence for the upcoming season, as far as I know this has not been progressed. The Arlberg have already said that once they can open they plan to run between 30% - 50% of the lifts.
ski holidays

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy