Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

chalet holidays for two families?

Poster: A snowHead
i am considering going away at new year with some friends of ours over new year, we would normally go self catering but am wondering if catered chalet might be an option but with exclusive use. is this possible? would be for 8 people (4 adults and 4 kids under 10)

am thinking france and more than 1500m in altitude.

any thoughts / ideas?
snow report
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
@ajc2260626, Indeed it should be, but it won`t come cheap that week.

Have a look on the solutions room at chalets direct https://www.chaletsdirect.com/ski-holidays/
snow report
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
If you're looking at France there are (assuming they survive Covid) a couple of companies who deliver pre-prepaired meals that you just need to reheat.

Could give you an alternative between the cost of a catered chalet and the need to actually cook?
snow report
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
You need to Login to know who's really who.
Take a look at these people.

They have self catering apartments but then have a catered option. We used them for a group of 5 families but they have smaller apartments or their catered chalet but you will be sharing with others

https://www.pinewoodchalets.com/

Edit to add: even better was for the chalet staffs night off we were allowed to use kitchen - so for that we cooked for ourselves as we were party of 7 adults and 7 children that was easier that trying to go
Out!

Last edited by You need to Login to know who's really who. on Mon 29-06-20 13:23; edited 1 time in total
snow conditions
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
We stayed in the Chalet Planton in Tignes a couple times (not sure if they still exist). They offered self catering apartments upstairs for 6,8, or more people and downstairs did breakfast and a set eveing meal in their restaurant. The price was better than the UK tour operators and the food infintely better. It was very good.

May I suggest you start at the resort websites and follow up on those leads.
latest report
 You'll need to Register first of course.
You'll need to Register first of course.
@ajc2260626, to keep it simple you could just look at any TO for a catered chalet with 8-10 beds. With 8 beds you are laughing. With 10, say 5 twin rooms, you can probably negotiate an arrangement whereby they agree not to sell the 5th room, so you get exclusive use; it will cost a bit more: in theory equivalent to the profit margin if they had sold the last room to a couple at full price.
ski holidays
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
We do exactly what you are after but sadly are both not in France or over 1500 meters... shame really!...
You may need to expand your options a little.
latest report
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
@ajc2260626, the other family don't want to self cater?
ski holidays
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
Renting accommodation is not synonymous with "self-catering". Even small resorts will have enough restaurants for you to choose a different option every night and most will also have "traiteurs" who can provide ready-cooked dishes. Even the most idle skiers can generally sort themselves out a reasonable breakfast. At the other end of the cost continuum there are luxury chalets which you can rent, complete with your own chef who will ask you about your preferences and spoil you rotten throughout the week. Will cost a fortune though - the chef alone a couple of thousand euros, and food "at cost". Which if it's lobster and caviare in Val d'Isere, will be a very high cost. Without knowing your budget, it's hard to advise.
ski holidays
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
Ski the Net with snowHeads
@ajc2260626, As this week is nearly all booked up, well in previous seasons(!) There will be a hefty penalty for unused beds. Additionally 8 is a very small chalet so a bit of a conundrum. In the end covid maybe your friend.

But Silver Ski do have a number of small chalets in Last Plagne, their other resorts are too low for you requirements. Might be worth a call, if they are still trading, their website is saying little.
ski holidays
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
@flangesax, happy to look at other stuff.... have put altitude in for early season snow guarantee etc

@Layne, self catering is the fall back but thought as a lot of them are complete beginners it might be handy not Mohave to worry about food etc

@pam w, yes deffo an option

@chocksaway, will check them out.....

normally i am pay the bare minimum and do it all under my own steam but thought that a chalet might be worth a look but i realised that really i need 12 people minimum....
snow report
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
@ajc2260626, my suggestion has apartments suitable for two families and they have a catering option

https://www.pinewoodchalets.com/pinewood-apartments
snow conditions
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
ajc2260626 wrote:
@Layne, self catering is the fall back but thought as a lot of them are complete beginners it might be handy not Mohave to worry about food etc

Well obviously some of it comes down to personal taste and experience but there is a degree of hassle/restriction in going catered. Especially with young kids.

But some people really like to have nothing to do with cooking while on holiday hence my question.
snow report
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
ajc2260626 wrote:
... thought that a chalet might be worth a look but i realised that really i need 12 people minimum....

I just don't think this is true. Plenty of chalets around sleeping 8-10, and that size can work better than 12 for TOs because they might get away with just 1 member of staff. But New Year is popular and they might be booking up fast.
ski holidays
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Quote:

I just don't think this is true.

No, it's definitely not. But it certainly IS true that New Year books up fast - normally, at any rate.
snow report
8 of us had an exclusive catered chalet with Ski Amis in Les Menuires a few years ago. They're still going,

Chalets are listed as sleeping 10 - but including a small bunk room. It was a very nice size chalet for 8 adults.
ski holidays
NickyJ wrote:
@ajc2260626, my suggestion has apartments suitable for two families and they have a catering option

https://www.pinewoodchalets.com/pinewood-apartments

This.
latest report

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy