Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Ski Instructor Job Shaming

Poster: A snowHead

Last edited by Poster: A snowHead on Mon 14-06-21 16:16; edited 1 time in total
snow report
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Quote:

Hope you're feeling better.

I am thank you Smile I've messaged you separately aswell!

Quote:

It's an age-old conundrum of course, balancing work and pleasure. I save up all year and live as frugally as I can manage before setting off for the winter.

It's a smart way to go about it all!
snow report
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
swskier wrote:
BobinCH wrote:
The other option is to find a job in/close to the Alps. In CH there are several cities (eg Geneva, Lausanne, Bern, Fribourg, Zürich) with Int’l companies within day tripping distance to the mountains. It’s quite feasible to get in 50 days of skiing over weekends and holidays, without giving up your profession. The Summers here are also great

The ideal option for me probably, trying, but not easy!

It’s getting harder as most companies are trying to reduce Swiss based headcounts due to the high salary costs. I helped someone else do this by getting a list of International companies in the area that he then contacted. Was for IT positions. Can try and dig it out if any use?
latest report
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
BobinCH wrote:
swskier wrote:
BobinCH wrote:
The other option is to find a job in/close to the Alps. In CH there are several cities (eg Geneva, Lausanne, Bern, Fribourg, Zürich) with Int’l companies within day tripping distance to the mountains. It’s quite feasible to get in 50 days of skiing over weekends and holidays, without giving up your profession. The Summers here are also great

It’s getting harder as most companies are trying to reduce Swiss based headcounts due to the high salary costs. I helped someone else do this by getting a list of International companies in the area that he then contacted. Was for IT positions. Can try and dig it out if any use?

If you can dig it out, i'd be eternally grateful. I know I started a thread on it a while back, and you as well as others were very helpful in providing some names, but any info you've got would be amazing!
snow conditions
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
orioriori89 wrote:
Very often when I tell people I am a ski instructor and that I indeed want to make a career out of it I am met with a few reactions. One is just stunned silence, they can't comprehend it, sometimes people get angry about it, they call it a waste of my education, but most often I find myself being simply job shamed. I understand that it has a lower income than many jobs, but I personally think if you work hard then the benefits outweigh the disadvantages.

So my question is: why do people tell you to find a job you love and then shame you for doing it?

Would love to hear peoples thoughts, on both opinions on the whole job shaming aspect and industry workers stories/points of view on the matter.

I can categorically say you have a better lifestyle than anyone who has given you the reactions you've listed!

Don't worry about it bro, i'm sure anyone on Snowheads, including myself, would buy you a beer and talk about snowy stuff Smile

(I'm a 9-5 salaryman who is dying to escape the rat race to one day be a ski instructor!) Razz
snow report
 You'll need to Register first of course.
orioriori89 wrote:
Very often when I tell people I am a ski instructor and that I indeed want to make a career out of it I am met with a few reactions. One is just stunned silence, they can't comprehend it, sometimes people get angry about it, they call it a waste of my education, but most often I find myself being simply job shamed. I understand that it has a lower income than many jobs, but I personally think if you work hard then the benefits outweigh the disadvantages.
Those don't sound like the reactions of educated people.
I'm not convinced that they are specific to your choice of work, other than that you can do it without higher education.

My school-friends all had to leave school at 16.
I'd expect they, and my teachers, to have given me a very hard time if I'd not turned my advantage - an education - into financial success.
I could imagine they would have been angry that I'd failed to "make it";
that I'd "wasted a place" one of my mates could have taken and made use of;
or that even the sharpest they produced had been defeated again by the system.

I think education's kind of like money: not important if you've got it.
And careers...need to be way more flexible than some people still apparently believe.
snow conditions
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
orioriori89 wrote:

*she Smile

Bravo to another female physicist (ok, ex-physicist)!

Quote:

- but yes this I think is very true. I looked at the possibility of spending my life locked away in a lab (which I had seen happen at facilities I did research at) and achieve "nothing". The notion of nothing in physics and all sciences is a bit of a tricky one. Say for example my dissertation. I was searching for evidence of a decay, which should not be possible with our current particle model, in some of CERNs data. We analysed it for months and months and months and found exactly nothing. As expected. And just like the previous studies. In physics this is not a worthless study, however - we set the worlds best limit (not hard when there's not much being done on it) on this particular measurement meaning we knew with more certainty than before that there was nothing there. So in physics they might say sure this was useful, but the reality was it wasn't exactly groundbreaking stuff. It gave me an insight into what my future in physics might look like. Working hard and getting good results does not equate to making some kind of breakthrough or hugely contributing.

I have chosen to pick a career with smaller milestones, more regular and obvious feedback. I wasn't okay with the idea of wasting my time as you mention.

In case you haven't noticed (I doubt it though Very Happy ), "analysed it for months and months and months" is a skill that's in high demand, especially in today's "big data" age. "Mining" all kind of data is highly profitable for many commercial or non-commercial enterprise. Data scientist is a not-so-niche position that's highly compensated. So that's another option you may consider that would provide the "smaller milestones, more regular and obvious feedback" you like.

I bet in your work, you've been exposed to some of the cutting edge data analysis tools as you're working at CERN. Perhaps you even customized and enhanced them, probably pushing the capability for analyzing gigantic data sets in the course of your dissertation work? It's a highly sought after skill set in the commercial data science field. Though far more importantly, the mindset of digging though huge data set to hunt for minute feature is properly recognized as data scientist candidates.

Or use that skill in your ski instructor work wherever you find it suits. In short, that education is not "wasted" in any way. Laughing
latest report
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
Quote:

Though far more importantly, the mindset of digging though huge data set to hunt for minute feature is properly recognized as data scientist candidates

Haha, it's true, I definitely got very used to trawling through data and sometimes it is easy to forget the value of being able to data analyse. I use relatively simple data analysis every week right now for ski instructor work in terms of my website. Each week I do a survey-based article, analysing results and using these to create content. It's a bit of a different approach but it means I can still use these analysis skills even in a way that wasn't expected and there isn't much out there like that.
snow report
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
I don't think I'd be impressed if it were your only job, unless you did it all year round in a fridge as well for example. But most instructors I've met have it as part of a "portfolio career" - I met a bloke in Andorra who was a ski instructor all winter, and a sparky the rest of the time. I was impressed!

A lot will be jealousy, mind. People are envious of those who have a calling rather a job.
latest report
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
Quote:

don't think I'd be impressed if it were your only job, unless you did it all year round in a fridge as well for example

Corona aside I did intend to be doing both seasons by traversing hemisphere.

You say you wouldn't be impressed but you would be impressed if they were also a sparky. What is it that determines whether or not you're impressed? Is it the choice to work just the instructing, the ability to work another job, or the choice of the job itself? No judgement just curious as to your point of view.
snow conditions
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
BobinCH wrote:

I wholeheartedly agree. It’s a fantastic lifestyle here and I love some of the smaller resorts snowHead
ski holidays
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
Nadenoodlee wrote:
BobinCH wrote:

I wholeheartedly agree. It’s a fantastic lifestyle here and I love some of the smaller resorts snowHead

Proximity to the mountain may not that high on the OP's priority. Mentioned working in CERN (Geneva). But that wasn't enough, apparently.

This being a ski forum. Everyone automatically assumes anyone who want to be a ski instructor in order to ski as much as possible. But I don't think it's always the case. The OP indicates it's more about a teaching career that happens to involve skiing.
snow report
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
Quote:

Proximity to the mountain may not that high on the OP's priority. Mentioned working in CERN (Geneva). But that wasn't enough, apparently.

This being a ski forum. Everyone automatically assumes anyone who want to be a ski instructor in order to ski as much as possible. But I don't think it's always the case. The OP indicates it's more about a teaching career that happens to involve skiing.

The issue with CERN was the job itself- I really didn't enjoy it. I'd ofcourse be open to jobs located near by to mountains. As you say it's a best of both worlds kind of deal.But for now instructing is the one job I've really loved. I would take a bit of convincing to change jobs if I didn't need to per se.
snow report
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
davidof wrote:
Now we've looked at your file Mr Swskier and I think we've built up a pretty clear picture of the sort of person you are and I think we can say without fear of contradiction that the ideal career for you is chartered accountancy.

But I want to be a Lion Tamer!
latest report
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Reminds me of the time 20yrs ago I had a beer with a physicist at JFK airport while waiting for a flight to Geneva. We were both headed to Val D'isere for some skiing but he was supposedly also attending a conference. Ten minutes later our neighbor joined the convo, well here we had a super smart guy who was a little surprised to hear he was meant to spend much of his time skiing.
snow conditions
IMHO the best possible job is one you enjoy.

My favourite job ever was when we owned a resto in Avoriaz.
In the 4 months it was open each season, it made enough to live (frugally) from, but was never going to generate the kind of money needed to put 3 kids thru uni.
Like most pragmatic people I took a job I enjoy much less, but facilitates our life-goals.

I don't understand why job-shaming is a thing though.
1: its nobody else's goddam business
2: Would you shame a jobless person ?
3: I can only think it comes thru an inherent lack of satisfaction in ones own work/life situation, which is somehow alleviated by projecting this onto another person's career choices.
4: Demonstrates a lack of understanding & respect of others.

I have met quite a lot of MP's(from 3 parties), and while I might not respect what they stand for or how they go about their work, I absolutely respect their career choice, and their reasons for entering politics ( normally they want to help make the world a better place). They get slagged off left right and centre, and none of the ones I have met are in it for the money.

About 10 months ago a work colleague jacked in her job to go and get a Yachtmaster qualification.
A few people where I worked questioned her sanity leaving a 100K CHF job for a poorly paid itinerant lifestyle.
She is now sailing peoples yachts around the world getting ready for the Summer, and we're still the same tired old keyboard warriors.

Snowsports Instructor - FI_Ick Yeah !
snow report
swskier wrote:
BobinCH wrote:
swskier wrote:
BobinCH wrote:

If you can dig it out, i'd be eternally grateful. I know I started a thread on it a while back, and you as well as others were very helpful in providing some names, but any info you've got would be amazing!

Alas struggling to find it but this link is useful. Download the industry sector fact sheets too for more details on companies by sector. You can then use LinkedIn to find job vacancies or just write to them directly. Network is very important in CH so if you have any personal contacts that can also help A lot
https://www.invest-vaud.ch/
snow conditions
Mike Pow wrote:
BobinCH wrote:

This is Utopia

But quite achievable if you are determined, flexible and have up to date skills
ski holidays
BobinCH wrote:
Mike Pow wrote:
BobinCH wrote:

This is Utopia

Most definitely as you have shown.

Utopia may have been the right sentiment but the wrong word.

Paradise Found?
snow report
BobinCH wrote:
swskier wrote:
BobinCH wrote:
swskier wrote:
BobinCH wrote:

Alas struggling to find it but this link is useful. Download the industry sector fact sheets too for more details on companies by sector. You can then use LinkedIn to find job vacancies or just write to them directly. Network is very important in CH so if you have any personal contacts that can also help A lot
https://www.invest-vaud.ch/

Thank you, appreciated! I will buy you a beer once my move is complete!
snow conditions
BobinCH wrote:
Mike Pow wrote:
BobinCH wrote:

This is Utopia

Also easily doable from London without the need to relocate. I get 45-50 days skiing each season whilst holding down a reasonably demanding job that I enjoy a lot.

The only material differences between a trip for me, and one for someone living in Geneva, is that it takes me 5-6hrs more (round trip) and costs £150 more. Day trips aren't quite worth the hassle, but I do plenty of Friday out/Sunday back for 2 days skiing.
ski holidays
snowdave wrote:
Day trips aren't quite worth the hassle, .

Beauty of living here is you can pop out for a couple of hours, and come back in when it suits you Smile
ski holidays
swskier wrote:
davidof wrote:
Now we've looked at your file Mr Swskier and I think we've built up a pretty clear picture of the sort of person you are and I think we can say without fear of contradiction that the ideal career for you is chartered accountancy.

But I want to be a Lion Tamer!

on piste?
snow report
snowdave wrote:

Also easily doable from London without the need to relocate..

it may not be next season of course depending on the situation.
snow conditions
WindOfChange wrote:
snowdave wrote:
Day trips aren't quite worth the hassle, .

Beauty of living here is you can pop out for a couple of hours, and come back in when it suits you Smile

Sure, - my key point was that if you're trying to combine a job you enjoy and lots of skiing, being located in any major city with regular flights to Geneva is little different to being located in a major Swiss city. This essentially means you can do almost any "conventional" job, in London, Frankfurt, Paris etc., and ski a lot.

Clearly, being in resort itself gives you that opportunity to pop out for an hour or 2. That also requires a job that lets you do that - even if I were in resort, most days I'll have pre-arranged VCs that mean I can't just head out when I want. Then again, I have mates who live in resort who ski less than me; I call it "Seasonaire's Disease" - only wanting to go out if it's blue sky/powder whereas once I've put the effort into flying over, I'll go out in anything!
latest report
davidof wrote:
snowdave wrote:

Also easily doable from London without the need to relocate..

it may not be next season of course depending on the situation.

True, tho' living in France wasn't much good post 15th March either from a skiing perspective this season!
snow report
snowdave wrote:

Sure, - my key point was that if you're trying to combine a job you enjoy and lots of skiing, being located in any major city with regular flights to Geneva is little different to being located in a major Swiss city. This essentially means you can do almost any "conventional" job, in London, Frankfurt, Paris etc., and ski a lot.

Clearly, being in resort itself gives you that opportunity to pop out for an hour or 2. That also requires a job that lets you do that - even if I were in resort, most days I'll have pre-arranged VCs that mean I can't just head out when I want. Then again, I have mates who live in resort who ski less than me; I call it "Seasonaire's Disease" - only wanting to go out if it's blue sky/powder whereas once I've put the effort into flying over, I'll go out in anything!

Seasonaire's disease is definitely a real phenomenon but there is definitely also a ballache factor to weekend trips - managing your workday on getaway day, airport faff, late transfers the other side often to ski some fairly mediocre or worse conditions. Can get exhausting if you try to pack too many in. Probably works for CHX due to the number of shuttles.
snow report
@snowdave, You're right about the seasonaire disease.
I get more Piste time now (Regular job in Nyon, CH) than when we had a restaurant in Avoriaz.
I try and make sure my schedule is free from meetings in the afternoons on days when I WFH so I can get a cheeky hour or 2, and then go back on line later to catch up with colleagues in the US.
I did the commuting thing for 6 months (Friday 4:30 Pm flight from City airport, Monday 7AM flight from GVA) which worked well in the season as Swiss was cheapish if you were organised and booked in advance.
I know and work with lots of people who live in GVA and Lausanne and who come up at weekends, but like Ray Bradbury said "If they give you lined paper, then write the other way".
So we do the opposite - live in the mountains and commute down for work.
Unless you get some amazing lake front gaff, you are much better at altitude as the air quality (smog) is bad in the leman basin, the Annecy basin and the valley de l'Arve.
So many days it's bright and sunny up here, and then I descend down below a carpet of cloud for my working day, before escaping again in the evening.
look at jobup.ch - there's loads of jobs on there.
ski holidays
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
Mike Pow wrote:
BobinCH wrote:
Mike Pow wrote:
BobinCH wrote:

This is Utopia

Most definitely as you have shown.

Utopia may have been the right sentiment but the wrong word.

Paradise Found?

In my case it was getting married and wanting to start a family that brought us back from a 4 year stint in Australia. Switzerland just happened to be where work offered me a transfer too that was close to the UK, and our families. So in my case it was luck and not the stuff above. But being here I see it is very achievable if you have the motivation, and with a decent job, it’s for sure a better quality of life for a family, than the UK
snow report
@WindOfChange, that's a nice way round to do it. Sunrise and sunset in the mountains!
snow conditions
@swskier, here’s the original list I had:
snow conditions
Dave of the Marmottes wrote:
snowdave wrote:

Seasonaire's disease is definitely a real phenomenon but there is definitely also a ballache factor to weekend trips - managing your workday on getaway day, airport faff, late transfers the other side often to ski some fairly mediocre or worse conditions. Can get exhausting if you try to pack too many in. Probably works for CHX due to the number of shuttles.

I only worked one season but I only did not ski one day (excluding transfer days when I worked 8am til 11pm) the whole season.
Obviously I was disgustingly keen and it was partly because I knew I would be starting a "proper career" when I got home and this was the one opportunity I had to really sort out my skiing. I was also 23 and had the constitution of an ox which helped with burning candles at both ends. My non-skiing girlfriend ( who I met in resort) tried to deploy all sorts of rather delightful tactics to deter me from getting up to go skiing and was understandably rather put out that they weren't more effective Embarassed I took the attitude that such antics could wait until the lifts were shut Embarassed

There were of course plenty of seasonaires who hardly ever got out and some who had worked multiple seasons and were still cr@p skiers. Each to their own.
snow conditions
BobinCH wrote:

Thank you again! I've actually applied for a role at Nestle this morning, which i'm over qualified for, but, worth trying to start somewhere.

I'll take some time to go through these companies over the weekend.
snow report
PrimroseAndBlue wrote:
I don't think I'd be impressed if

This is the thing. Why do people feel the need to declare whether they are impressed? Or even more to the point whether they are not impressed? It doesn't matter.
ski holidays
swskier wrote:
BobinCH wrote:

Thank you again! I've actually applied for a role at Nestle this morning, which i'm over qualified for, but, worth trying to start somewhere.

Nestle treat their staff about as well as they treat the environment and suppliers so with any luck you won't get the job.
snow conditions
davidof wrote:
swskier wrote:
BobinCH wrote:

Nestle treat their staff about as well as they treat the environment and suppliers so with any luck you won't get the job.

This wasn’t my experience. Have you worked for them in Switzerland?
snow conditions
I agree with the sentiment that a decent job in and around the Alps is a great quality of life trade for a family.

@snowdave, I've done the weekend hopping a fair bit but find it quite pricey and utterly exhausting. Where do you ski? Have you got your own place & car out there?
ski holidays
@LittleBullet, own place, rental car (less hassle than my own, somebody else deals with servicing and MOT!) or private transfer.

I ski in Chamonix which is an easy drive. 2-3 days full on skiing is tiring, but the travel makes no material difference to me either effort or price wise. I either use Avios or bulk-buy my tickets so it’s about £150 return each time when I pay, and I probably average closer to £75. 2019/20 season I did 5 weekends (2-3 days), 1 fortnight, a week, and had 2 weeks and a long weekend that fell victim to COVID.

Pre COVID I was on a plane most weeks anyway so I’m quite used to it (I sleep really well on planes!) and BA looks after me pretty well so I find it a reasonable experience. Even travelling with pre-teen kids for weekends is doable, we’ve done a few of those now.
snow conditions
@snowdave, how many of those 5 weekend runs got derailed by winter storms?
latest report
orioriori89 wrote:
Quote:

don't think I'd be impressed if it were your only job, unless you did it all year round in a fridge as well for example

Corona aside I did intend to be doing both seasons by traversing hemisphere.

You say you wouldn't be impressed but you would be impressed if they were also a sparky. What is it that determines whether or not you're impressed? Is it the choice to work just the instructing, the ability to work another job, or the choice of the job itself? No judgement just curious as to your point of view.

I'd say it is having multiple trades that would impress me more, although I appreciate the skill needed to be an instructor.
ski holidays

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy