Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Roller ski bag

Poster: A snowHead
Hello fellow Snowheads.
I am looking for my first roller ski bag. I have looked at the Dakine Fall line Roller but not sure if the 175 is too short for my 173 ski's. And the 190 is too large? I would use it to pack other gear in also.

Any recommendations?
ski holidays
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
red wrote:
Hello fellow Snowheads.
I am looking for my first roller ski bag. I have looked at the Dakine Fall line Roller but not sure if the 175 is too short for my 173 ski's. And the 190 is too large? I would use it to pack other gear in also.

Any recommendations?

Have you done a search? There's quite a few threads on this already.
snow report
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
@red, I've had two fabric bags in the past.

An Ellis Brigham team edition which has been great but the main problem is when you go too big you get a dip in the bag and it means it scrapes on the ground. taking away the roller effect

I've now got a Thule bag that has rods in it so if it is underfilled they keep the bag straight.

Unfortunately it must have been dragged upside down by air handling crew so the zip was damaged.

In hindsight I perhaps should have bought a sports tube which are on sale just now from Amazon. These offer the best protection and are adjustable.
ski holidays
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
@red, I've got a Dakine Fall Line Roller Bag 190cm that I bought from a fellow SH last season and i've never used it because in hindsight it's surplus to current needs and taking up space I havent got, so was going to eebay it - i'm going to be driving next season so don't need it. I'd personally say go large so you can fit everything in.

It is dark grey/ black in colour and has done 3 trips I believe excellent condition, you can have it for what I paid £50. Can whatsapp you some photos this evening if you are interested PM me your mobile no?

I live near Leeds, I see you are NWest so meeting 1/2 way would work sometime, maybe weekend......social distanced handover!
snow report
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
I have two: one for a single ski and another one that I can fit 2 skis + 2 boots + helmets, got both of them at Decathlon and works great Very Happy
Single: https://www.decathlon.co.uk/ski-bag-500-black-id_8398420.html
Double: https://www.decathlon.co.uk/bag-for-4-skis-3-snow-900-id_8398284.html
latest report
 You'll need to Register first of course.
175 won't be too short for 173 skis. Used to have a low roller at 185 that took skis up to 190 and my fallline190 easily copes with 193 skis.
snow report
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Happy with my 190 fall line, 2 pairs of skis, my mhoosive boots and 2 weeks of gear easy, just be careful on the weights its real easy to pack over 30Kg into one
snow report
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
Dave of the Marmottes wrote:
175 won't be too short for 173 skis. Used to have a low roller at 185 that took skis up to 190 and my fallline190 easily copes with 193 skis.

Thanks! I have just had the same advice off a friend. He had the same Saggy in the middle issue.

I will have a look at decathlon and sportstube as well.
ski holidays
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
@BillyJohnn, Out of interest. How do they work re flying do you take it as sports goods and pay that way, or book it as a holdbag and pay excess baggage? (hypothetical for now tbph, i've no plans on flying in near future but i've always wondered).
ski holidays
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
Quote:

Thanks! I have just had the same advice off a friend. He had the same Saggy in the middle issue.

@red, You just double ziptie your poles to the skis to take up full length of the bag in order to prevent sag, simples!

Let me know if interested in the one I have, otherwise i'll put on that well known auction site this weekend, i've got one of those no sale fee codes just come through.....
snow report
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
@Markymark29, it depends on the airline.

A lot of mainstream ones will let you take any bag within their parameters (size & weight)as the checked bag should you have one on your ticket e.g. BA

Some want you to buy a sports bag ON TOP of any checked bag e.g. Easyjet ( but their policy seems to waiver now and again and some on here have got away with using the normal bag)

Some nice ones might carry them for free, I believe Swiss ?

The thing is to read the CURRENT rules for each airline before you book as it can and does change.
snow conditions
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
@red, the 175 will be fine. I have the 175 Fall Line Double and it takes my 177 Soul Riders easily. It also weighs about 4 kg empty, so bear that in mind. I've used it for multiple trips, carrying two or three pairs of skis, and aside from a few scuffs it's in good condition.
If you are (like me) on the slender side and not particularly strong, then you may find that a roller bag packed full of kit is awkward to manage when it can't be pulled. Mine does not have a decent shoulder strap and carrying it eg up or down stairs is a pain.
ski holidays
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
They're delivering a Nevica Banff roller bag today from Sports Direct @ £30.00 inc carriage(!) One size available (185cms) Seems like a bargain - I'll let you know later!!
ski holidays
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
Markymark29 wrote:
Quote:

@red, You just double ziptie your poles to the skis to take up full length of the bag in order to prevent sag, simples!

Let me know if interested in the one I have, otherwise i'll put on that well known auction site this weekend, i've got one of those no sale fee codes just come through.....

I am going to have a look about mate. Seen the 175 for 68 at surfdome. But goong to look at some other models too
latest report
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Skimonkey58 wrote:
They're delivering a Nevica Banff roller bag today from Sports Direct @ £30.00 inc carriage(!) One size available (185cms) Seems like a bargain - I'll let you know later!!

That is a bargain!!
latest report
The key thing about flying is that if you are taking skis anyway then you are already paying for Sports Equipment unless it is free with your carrier. In most cases, you won't manage a ski trip just on a pair of skis and your hand luggage, especially if you have boots to carry as well, so that means hold baggage plus the charge for the skis. With a wheeled bag, the skis, boots, poles and all of your other stuff goes in there, which also helps to protect the bindings from the manual handling trolls at the airports, and you pay just the Sports Equipment fee which in most cases will allow you up to 25Kg. Why pay for 2 bags when you can take one? Just minimise the weight though - carrying a 25Kg wheeled ski bag up 6 flights of stairs is not fun.
latest report
@ousekjarr, yep wheelie coffins are clearly the solution. As for the carrying up steps - London Tube stations are often the biggest obstacle - when you get to a hotel you can usually unload bag in the ski room first.
ski holidays
I went the different way from the roller ski bag (having owned 2) and bought a large soft dakine ski bag saving 3kg on my old thule ski bag really helps with what I like to take. It weighs approx 1kg and easily manoeuvred with less than a meter sticking out in front and behind you. If carrying a long distance then a wheeled bag would be better but its fine with a decent padded shoulder strap and tbh i generally dont carry for long distances. I always pack my boots and most of my clothes in my pull along/carry on.

Unfortunately the airlines flying from my local airport dont have a 25kg ski bag policy (easyjet 20kg and BA 23kg).
latest report
@WASHOUT, I've frequently loaded 23Kg into my wheeled bag and taken it on Easyjet without issue. On the self-service check-in scales at Luton, one of the supervisors helped me by holding the bag upright while it was weighed, and didn't even take a second glance at the display or the tag. They need to know the weight, but they don't need the hassle of charging people for being slightly over. As the hand luggage has no weight limit, plan B was to add my boots to the nearly empty rucksack I had with me, thus transferring 5Kg.

On one occasion with 3 passengers the total was 70Kg, and the automated system refused the last ski bag on the booking. The supervisor looked at the details, stuck an override code into the system, and waved us on.
ski holidays
@ousekjarr getting away with overweight bags is the luck of the draw with the check in people, I have seen many ski bags charged for extra weight esp at geneva. I often pack like you with a B plan to redistribute weight to carry on luggage but up to now been pretty lucky. I was also told by a BA check in girl they have 2.9kg to "play with" before the computer throws a wobbler and starts automatically charging.

I am still impressed with the soft bag, it allows me to carry 2 pairs of skis (one set of bindings) and all my gear (inc avi) with easyjet for a weeks holiday (1 pre booked ski bag), i would not manage this with my old 3.6kg thule roller bag.
ski holidays
WASHOUT wrote:
@ousekjarr getting away with overweight bags is the luck of the draw with the check in people, I have seen many ski bags charged for extra weight esp at geneva. I often pack like you with a B plan to redistribute weight to carry on luggage but up to now been pretty lucky. I was also told by a BA check in girl they have 2.9kg to "play with" before the computer throws a wobbler and starts automatically charging.

I am still impressed with the soft bag, it allows me to carry 2 pairs of skis (one set of bindings) and all my gear (inc avi) with easyjet for a weeks holiday (1 pre booked ski bag), i would not manage this with my old 3.6kg thule roller bag.

Care to share the model? My only concern with the Dakine Fall line Double is that it has no interior straps in and it's literally just a soft shell. It's has no rigidity to it. Am I knit picking?
latest report
I take boots as hand luggage and thus have a slim margin to play with. Whisper it but Norwegian used to be the best because you could self tag and take straight to oversize without going to the main desks.
latest report
Same with Easyjet at Luton - automated bag drop system weighs the bag, scans your boarding pass, spits out the luggage label, and then you take it straight to oversized luggage for scan and loading.
snow report
...and if you've ever been dropped off by a taxi at Luton, you'll understand why I prefer a bag with wheels - the 10 minute walk around the building site that they had for a couple of years was pretty painful, and if you are flying into somewhere like Munich then the walk from baggage collection to the car hire desk and then to the garage is not trivial.
snow conditions
its the dakine tram ( http://www.snowtart.com/accessories-c8/bags-c61/ski-bags-c88/dakine-tram-ski-bag-p1941 ) just over 2kg lighter than my old roller one. I have added 2 external straps around the whole lot this helps to firm things up.
latest report
red wrote:
Markymark29 wrote:
Quote:

I am going to have a look about mate. Seen the 175 for 68 at surfdome. But goong to look at some other models too

Surfdome have a sale on at the moment and with a 10% promo code which is NUS... it got the price down to 58..i thought I would share.

A tip from @washout i will buy some external straps to tighten everything up. Thanks for everyones advice.
ski holidays
Best not to spend too much or be too precious about it as due to its size airline baggage handlers normally drag them along to ground and not always on their wheels. I‘ve had a couple end up with abrasion holes or slits. But then when Ive complained Ive got a new bag out if it.
ski holidays
red wrote:
Skimonkey58 wrote:

That is a bargain!!

£26 today. Is it any good?
ski holidays
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
SHAP wrote:
red wrote:
Skimonkey58 wrote:

That is a bargain!!

£26 today. Is it any good?

It’s fine. Cheap and cheerful, but does the job for occasional use. It’s very roomy, and for the price, really good value.
snow report
@Tazz2bme, Online is seems to suggest there is a boot pocket and a helmet pocket. The pics didn't appear to confirm this, can you?

Cheers
snow conditions
SHAP wrote:
@Tazz2bme, Online is seems to suggest there is a boot pocket and a helmet pocket. The pics didn't appear to confirm this, can you?

Cheers

No pockets or compartments in mine. Just a big bag.
snow conditions
About ready for a new bag. Inner liner separated along zip, patched it up for last year, but getting a bit threadbare on some seams where it's been dragged in baggage handling. (I'm always careful to only drag on it's base).

Same bag available at same price on House of Fraser website. Website says it has compartments for boots and helmet, so decided to give it a go.

I usually pack all my ski gear in my bag, but can't get boots in and have to hump them in a holdall. Should be able to get boots and helmet in with some other gear and keep under weight limits. can carry other, less bulky stuff through airport.

Should arrive by 25th.
snow report
I have just received my Nevica Banff wheeled ski bag. It arrived quickly, is well enough made, is great value for money - and doesn't fit my skis! Sad

The spec shows it's 185, so I thought my 180s would be a nice snug fit....but as far as I can see, 170 would be the longest length that would be suitable (possibly 175). Looks like my Daughter has just got a nice present.

I see that others on this thread have this bag - so what length skis are you putting in it? If you have managed to get 180s into the bag, let me know how you did it.

I am just posting this, in case others are fooled by the misleading measurement.
snow report
@Old Fartbag, can you confirm the same as Tazz2bme for me please? The website states - "The Nevica Banff Ski Bag includes dedicated boot and helmet compartments ", but the pics online don't seem to be clear...

Cheers
ski holidays
SHAP wrote:
@Old Fartbag, can you confirm the same as Tazz2bme for me please? The website states - "The Nevica Banff Ski Bag includes dedicated boot and helmet compartments ", but the pics online don't seem to be clear...

Cheers

As far as I can see, there are a couple of very thin pockets that would not be suitable for boots and a helmet.
snow conditions
@Old Fartbag, can’t help you much, sorry. My skis are 160. If anything the bag is too long and Says in the middle.
ski holidays
@Tazz2bme, Thx for the quick reply. My Daughter's 160s fit in comfortably, with a little room to spare.
latest report
@Old Fartbag, Cheers. May end up spending a little more if that's the case.
ski holidays
@Old Fartbag, mine must be longer then, as I reckon that there are several inches to spare at the end. How odd!
snow conditions
Tazz2bme wrote:
@Old Fartbag, mine must be longer then, as I reckon that there are several inches to spare at the end. How odd!

I measured the ski bag - My Ski Bag does not measure 185. Even measuring from the outside edge of the wheels, to the outside edge of the handle on the other end, it's no more than 180.

When I measured the inside of the bag, I recon the longest ski it would take, is a 173.

Remember 160 -> 170 is the guts of 4 inches. A 180 ski needs 8 inches.

Last edited by Ski the Net with snowHeads on Thu 23-07-20 11:43; edited 1 time in total
snow report

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy