Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Hintertux, July 2020 - Is this madness?

Poster: A snowHead
Hotels are now open in Austria and there no travel restrictions in Germany but currently there is a two week quarantine for the UK in Austria.

If this restriction is relaxed I'm really tempted by a trip to Hintertux. Is this just pure madness? Happy to wear a mask on the plane!

Anyone currently in Mayrhofen at the moment? Are things starting to return to some sort of normality?
snow report
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
@russ_e, Not been up myself, but a friend was there last Friday. She said it was heaving, with people cramming into lifts as usual. In general, huts are open, masks are on the way out and it's rained a lot this week.

That said, there are only a handful of infections in Tirol now, so please don't bring it with you Toofy Grin
ski holidays
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Thanks Scarlet. Only a handful of cases in a rainy Derbyshire too!

Are some of the bars open?
ski holidays
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
High summer is forecast for next week (although previous forecasts have been premature).
Friends went a couple of weekends ago and said it was slushy in the afternoons back then (when the temps were around 10 Deg C cooler).
https://www.bergfex.at/hintertux/wetter/berg/
snow report
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
@russ_e, let's put it this way. I live a two hour drive away, and I wouldn't bother. Too busy (lots of race teams) and the snow isn't that good.
snow conditions
 You'll need to Register first of course.
Thanks folks, maybe a late summer trip is on the cards Smile
ski holidays
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
@russ_e, there's another thread about summer skiing you might want to have a look at – it is not like winter skiing, if you haven't done it before. Yes, afaik, bars are open.
snow report
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
I've been to Hintertux and L2A before. Quite like the slush and a couple of beers in the sun Smile
snow conditions
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
russ_e wrote:
Hotels are now open in Austria and there no travel restrictions in Germany but currently there is a two week quarantine for the UK in Austria.

If this restriction is relaxed I'm really tempted by a trip to Hintertux. Is this just pure madness? Happy to wear a mask on the plane!

Anyone currently in Mayrhofen at the moment? Are things starting to return to some sort of normality?

Am I right in saying that the 2 week quarantine is waived if you have had a negative test result within 4 days previous to crossing border ? Have been looking into this myself as have to visit Austria for 1 day max before leaving via Italy and France. Getting the test in the UK seems problematical unless you have a cooperative GP, which I don't.
ski holidays
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
@skitow, you can get tested in Austria, but you'll have to pay for it.
snow report
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
queenie pretty please wrote:
@skitow, you can get tested in Austria, but you'll have to pay for it.
Thanks for that but bit of a pain if I get a positive though Puzzled Drive all the way back to UK again ? 14 days in a basement ? Stuck in limbo between the Austrian and German border posts ? Laughing You can pay in UK, about £160 for the processing I think but can only be ordered by a registered practioner, who will presumably charge a fee. Not that desperate yet so maybe it will change in acouple of weeks.
ski holidays
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
@skitow, unless the UK manages to get significantly below 500 new cases per day, it seems unlikely. There are rumours that Spain and Portugal may be taken off the danger list, but not so with Sweden and the UK.
latest report
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
@queenie pretty please, Thanks for that info. The reason I am asking all this is that I left my car at a friends house near Innsbruck in February, intending to return late March to pick it up. He returned to UK in March and is wanting to return to Austria as soon as practicably possible, he does not have residency. My best option is to hitch a lift with him when he goes but I did want to be in France early July if I could.

@russ_e, Apologies for hijacking thread.
snow conditions
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
There are rumours that Spain and Portugal may be taken off the danger list, but not so with Sweden and the UK.

Spain now confirmed as being unrestricted from Sunday. Just in case you had any desperate desire to go there wink
ski holidays
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Hi Russ, been thinking exactly the same thing, trying to get out asap, but my rule has been don't go once we are into July as conditions are likely to be poor for the effort of getting there. But of course you can never be sure and there can always be a good dump at almost any time. I think there are also cheap flights from Manchester to Innsbruck with Jet2 or one of the other low cost airlines.

Anyway I have found a way a getting a covid and antibody test and am booked in to the Newcastle Blood Donner Clinic on Monday. A bit of a pita as it is close to a 3 hour drive. If you think you have had covid then sign up on the blood donner web site to give plasma, they give you a test first then call you back to give the plasma.
latest report
JimboS wrote:
I think there are also cheap flights from Manchester to Innsbruck with Jet2 or one of the other low cost airlines.

Which almost certainly won't run in summer (and I say that as someone for whom a Manchester flight would be very useful as we usually go via Munich). You might get an indirect via Schipol or Frankfurt though.

Otherwise, a blood donner doesn't sound very appetising, but I admire your out-of-the-box thinking in order to get tested Laughing
ski holidays
@skitow, there are no longer any checks on the border between Germany and Austria and no issue travelling to Germany from the UK. The issue would arise when you fill in your registration form at your accommodation, I guess you would get a visit from the local health office very quickly. It should be no problem getting a test if you pay for one, certainly perfectly possible in Germany and I would assume UK too. I think you would also find that France currently has a 14 day quarantine thing from the UK but that seems to be under discussion today as President Macron is in London. However if you travel from Austria to France cant see how that would be an issue (the borders are back to "normal") as no checks going into France from Switzerland or Germany though a UK registered car might prompt questions.

One thing to bear in mind is whether your travel insurance will be valid given UK gov is advising against all travel.
latest report
For now, a mask must be worn in the Tux gondolas and lift stations.

A minimum distance of 1m must be observed on and off the slopes.

There are disinfectant stations in many places.
ski holidays
@Whitegold, not actually in Austria, are you..?
latest report
Is it Madness? ... No its Madseit Very Happy
snow report
@Scarlet, Here you go.

latest report
@JimboS, I bow to your greater knowledge Cool That may well come in handy, thanks.
snow report
munich_irish wrote:
@skitow, there are no longer any checks on the border between Germany and Austria and no issue travelling to Germany from the UK. The issue would arise when you fill in your registration form at your accommodation, I guess you would get a visit from the local health office very quickly. It should be no problem getting a test if you pay for one, certainly perfectly possible in Germany and I would assume UK too. I think you would also find that France currently has a 14 day quarantine thing from the UK but that seems to be under discussion today as President Macron is in London. However if you travel from Austria to France cant see how that would be an issue (the borders are back to "normal") as no checks going into France from Switzerland or Germany though a UK registered car might prompt questions.

One thing to bear in mind is whether your travel insurance will be valid given UK gov is advising against all travel.

Thanks for all that. Is that from personal experience at the German / Austrian border ? I won't be staying in any accomodation, just 1 night at the most in my friends house, possibly leaving the same day and exiting to Italy via the Brenner. The only reason I question is that in February, before all this kicked off I was stopped for passport inspection both crossing from Slovenia to Austrian and Italy to Austria. I am a bit unlucky like that rolling eyes Will be in UK reg vehicles both entering and leaving Austria. I am happy with passing through Italy,France and eventual return to UK. I live by myself so self isolating for 14 days not a problem wink
snow report
@JimboS, As far as I can see a private test is about £250 ?(£200 if you are NHS employee) which is too much for me to justify.

https://www.summerfieldhealthcare.co.uk/corona-virus-testing/
snow conditions
@skitow, I'm pretty sure all UK registered vehicles will be stopped and inspected at the border. There are now only two European countries on Austria's no-go list, which are the UK and Sweden. UK vehicles are easy to spot.
snow report
@queenie pretty please, I suspect you are right and even my usual get out of claiming Wales is a completely separate country is not going to work this time Sad Like I said I am usually pretty unlucky at border checks etc. even get stopped coming back into UK sometimes rolling eyes
ski holidays
@skitow, The border restrictions have only been fully lifted since Monday, there is plenty to keep me occupied around here and the weather forecast is pretty poor for the next few days so it will be while before I am likely to head down to the mountains. There has been lots on the local media with shots of folk going shopping, police removing barriers etc so no doubt the restrictions have gone.

However it is also clear Austria has restrictions in place for those who have been in the UK and other places in the past 14 days. If you are driving a UK registered car you will almost certainly get stopped and checked. You will need a negative test or the police are likely to send you off to quarantine especially as you will not have any booked accommodation (doubt your friend's house will count). If you cant afford to pay for a test then probably best to not go into Austria at the moment. Austria has very few cases (practically zero in the mountain areas for some time now) and the authorities are very keen to keep it that way.
ski holidays
@munich_irish, OK thanks, just wait and see is probably the best idea. I wanted to collect my car and I have a personal reason to visit France as soon as is practicably possible so was hoping to combine the two. Hopefully Jet2 have had some indication from the authorities as the £55 flight on July 15 starts to look a bit dear when you add £250 for the test. I would much prefer to drive though, given the choice.
snow report
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
munich_irish wrote:
@skitow, . Austria has very few cases (practically zero in the mountain areas for some time now) and the authorities are very keen to keep it that way.

And I am certainly not criticising them for that.
snow report
skitow wrote:
the £55 flight on July 15 starts to look a bit dear when you add £250 for the test.

It's a problem I've heard mentioned locally as well, from people who live in border countries and until recently needed a negative test to cross. Getting privately tested in Austria is apparently quite tricky to figure out and costs about €200. This doesn't help you, but for anyone coming from the east, I've heard they are only about €50 in Slovakia.
ski holidays
@skitow, I'm pretty sure all UK registered vehicles will be stopped and inspected at the border. There are now only two European countries on Austria's no-go list, which are the UK and Sweden. UK vehicles are easy to spot.

Drive at night thru the backroads.

If you get stopped, just say you took a wrong turn at Munich wink
ski holidays
Whitegold wrote:

Drive at night thru the backroads.

If you get stopped, just say you took a wrong turn at Munich wink

I take it you have never been on the wrong side of the Austrian police force ? rolling eyes
ski holidays
Look at this, june 17th
https://www.alpinforum.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=46&p=5273002#p5272831

Paste the URL into google translate if you cannot read german. But the pics speak for themselves.
latest report
North-Rhine Westphalia (17 million inhabitants) is on the verge of going into full lockdown again, after major outbreak in a slaughterhouse.
suddenly not so optimistic about this summer anymore...
snow conditions
Quote:
but my rule has been don't go once we are into July as conditions are likely to be poor for the effort of getting there
Not the case at all in my 7 or 8 visits to Tignes glacier in July (we have an apartment there) - so I can't imagine Hintertux being much different - in fact we had two excellent days at Hintertux in September a couple of years back, after a hiking trip. Conditions and snow cover were a lot better than we had anticipated for the end of summer.

Definitely worth the effort of a July trip from the UK in my book - but it all depends on how keen a skier you are. Mrs MA and I confess to being fanatical/addicted Laughing

In the case of Tignes, it's usually 600m of vertical available up to mid July; perfect groomers from 07.30 opening (though can be grippy hard pack); and deserted slopes.

The snow softens from about 09.30, becoming soft to mush (but still fun in the sun!) lower down by 10.00/10.30. It's still perfectly skiable until then but can become rather heavy going afterwards, with lifts closing by 12.00/13.00.

What's not to like? wink
snow conditions
@mountainaddict, July might be OK at Hintertux. September you really need some luck.
ski holidays
skitow wrote:
..I take it you have never been on the wrong side of the Austrian police force ? rolling eyes
I have however been arrested by the Austrian border patrol, albeit for an illegal crossing of the Czech/ Austrian border when Czechoslovakia still existed.
I'd say that they are by far the most civilized, polite and intelligent police force I've ever had to deal with.

Of course they'd treat trolls with the contempt they deserve.
latest report
Glacier has been melting 24hrs a day in recent days.

Not even refreezing at night.

If you must go in July, go early in the month.
latest report
A couple of hours in the morning and few beers in the Sun in the afternoon. Bliss ...

Tests are available in the Airport for 190 euros. Not sure how long the results take or what happens if you test positive.

Think I'll wait for a month and hopefully the 14 days quarantine gets lifted.
latest report
Just looked and test results are processed in 3 to 6 hours. Vienna Airport only it seems.

Jimbo, if you want a travel buddy let me know!!
snow report

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy