Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Working for Alpybus or similar

Poster: A snowHead
Hello
I'm about to send off an application to work as a transfer driver with alpybus for the 20/21 season.

I was just wondering if anyone on here had done a similar thing and how likely I am to get the job.

I have a full D licence with CPC and I have previously driven trucks, at the moment I work as a delivery driver for Tesco because of the COVID.
I've never done skiing before but its been on my bucket list for ages and I'd like to just experience the alps for a season to see what its like.

Whats the accomadation with Alpybus like and is it hard to find your own if you dont like what they're offering? I'm not fussy about the accommodation but I'd prefer to have my own room that's about it.

I dont mind if the money is crap, I'm just looking for an adventure really.
Anything I should know?
Thanks!
latest report
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
If you only have a UK passport it is a complete non-starter I'm afraid. We worked as transfer drivers last season, but from 31st January the Swiss stopped issueing paperwork for UK drivers to operate in Switzerland, which is essential for GVA pickups/drop-offs. We are going back to Chalet hosting for next season.
If you have an EU passport, there will be loads of vacancies for you so you will be able to pick and choose, especially with full Cat D and CPC (JanetS and I have these, and walked straight into jobs with free accommodation and sensible pay (10euros per hour) last season.
latest report
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Cool thanks for the info. I have an EU passport and licence so I'm lucky there.

What was the accom. like?
The only thing really limiting me is a lack of experience and the fact I have no ski experience!
snow report
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
We weren't with Alpybus so can't comment on their accommodation, but in general provided accommodation will be shared rooms (normally 2 to a room). Mountain Express are also advertising at present so might be worth contacting them as well - lots of other companies will be advertising over the next few months - last season we only applied in September.
With a full Cat D and CPC experience will not be an issue, and ski experience is not really relevant if you go for a proper driving job (as opposed to driver for a chalet company where you will be expected to do lots of other stuff as well). Of the ten drivers working for the company we were with last year only three had done it before, JanetS and I were the only Cat D licence holders, and four had little or no ski/board experience.
snow report
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Wise to wait a season and see what happens with the second or third wave of Covid-19.

Not really a good idea to be crammed inside a tin box with potential plague-spreaders arriving from all over the world ~10 hours a day.

A recent study showed London busdrivers are 3 times more likely than average to die from C19.

Like a rolling casket on wheels.
snow report
 You'll need to Register first of course.
@somefeen, wise to ignore anything whitenonsense says.
latest report
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
@under a new name, And we all survived last season, though half of us had suspected Coronavirus during the season.
ski holidays
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
@RobinS, I'm going to get myself tested on Monday ... of our core group all present on Friday 13 Mar and all of whom had symptoms by the following Tuesday, 8/13 have sero tested +ve ... will I be the 9th?
snow report
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
So what's happening then: are the only transfer driving jobs for UK-only passport-holders just Grenoble and back?
snow conditions
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
Ski the Net with snowHeads
@justabod, As UK passport holders cannot do Geneva, which is where most of the business is, most companies are only recruiting EU passport holders. If there is some sort of agreement reached this may change, but I'm not holding my breath. We are going back to chalet hosting for next season (which may be the last for that as well!)
latest report
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
@under a new name, JanetS and I are convinced we had it early on - we had all the symptoms. A couple of the drivers went to the Docs with it, and when they suggested it may be Coronavirus the response was "Have you been to China? If not it couldn't be Coronavirus." They completely ignored the fact that we had been transporting Chinese guests to and from Geneva!
snow report
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
Haha Very Happy Very Happy Must be a record, it only took half a dozen posts for the OP's thread to get turned into another Coronavirus topic Toofy Grin Toofy Grin
ski holidays
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
Accommodation in many resorts is very, very expensive so if you decide to leave the provided accommodation and pay for your own to it going to cost you a lot. The employer is very unlikely to pay you more as they will still be paying the rent for the room you left. So if having your own room is a must you need to negotiate that with the employer at the outset as trying to change during the season would make no financial sense at all.
ski holidays
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
Can't comment on Alpybus, but Coolbus (based in Bourg Saint Maurice / Les Arcs) are a cool crew to work for. They own a huge house in the centre of town where a lot of the staff live.
ski holidays
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Thanks for the all the info!
I've sent an application off to Alpybus and I'm checking out a few of the others.
Does the season end around March? That's when I'd be hoping to finish up
latest report
The season can continue through to mid-April (even later in some places) with the Easter school holidays, peak weeks, if Easter falls early. When in March would you want to be finished, as too early (and if you’re honest with any potential employer), could make you a less attractive candidate
ski holidays
Ah Ok thanks.
I should be Ok since the other job is probably going to start the end of March or early April
snow conditions
@somefeen,
You would probably be ok as a Brit with Alpybus.
They are a Swiss company, so you would have a Swiss work permit B. (This is the key).
As a brit you can still get a work permit for Switzerland ( I have one ), and my understanding was that the Canton of Geneve had stopped issuing new airport permits to non-europeans who were not based in Switzerland, but like I said Alypbus being Swiss then your Swiss work permit ought to get you the airport access.
But if you were to work as a driver for Bill & Teds Most Excellent chalet company, based in France, and you did not have grandfathered airport access, then like Robins says, you might struggle to get the paperwork required.
Also working for a Swiss company you will have much better working conditions than a French one.
Even though there's no legal minimum wage, nobody gets less than 4k a month, and you would have your hours capped at 40.
None of this crazy 65 hour week stuff.
Good Luck
ski holidays
@WindOfChange, what is this capped hours you speak of? Is that driving specific? We’re pulling a mighty 45p/w here in ZH
ski holidays
In Canton Vaud - it's 40hrs working (any work including driving).
I believe GE is similar.
snow report
Quote:

Does the season end around March? That's when I'd be hoping to finish up

The ski season ends around the end of April
snow conditions

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy