Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Lauberhorn 2022

Poster: A snowHead
News has reached me that the 2022 Wengen Lauberhorn World Cup races are in serious doubt. Financial disagreement between the FIS and the race organisation is the cause.
ski holidays
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
@davidthornton, The article here suggests that the dispute is between the Swiss federation and the race organisers.
snow report
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
@rjs, yep it's an internal Swiss dispute. I gather that the Swiss Federation have just put forward to the FIS a proposal that their World Cup race should be held in Switzerland (venue to be determined) rather than Wengen as in previous years.

Philipp Gertsch, owner of Central Sport in Wengen has just posted this on their Facebook page (my English translation):
What's happening to the Lauberhorn race???
Hi guys wake up! What are you all doing behind your desks????
Does the most popular ski race in the world really have to be removed from the calendar because of money, stubbornness and power games? Are you still relaxed about this???
My grandfather ERNST GERTSCH, founder of the Lauberhorn race, my father VIKTOR GERTSCH, who dedicated his whole life " to his Lauberhorn race". These two icons must be turning around in their graves having to watch their life's work destroyed!
Just so sad!!!!!!!...........
snow conditions
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
@rjs, @Alastair Pink, thanks for clarifying that. Any suggestions on an alternative Swiss venue? From experience I can think of two, Laax and Klosters. Davos is busy with the annual January jolly for bankers and govt leaders, that could impinge on nearby Klosters. Laax has a long red run from Crap Sogn Gion. I don't think that either Verbier or Zermatt would be interested, the latter though has obviously spectacular scenery, that would be attractive to broadcasters. Then there is Crans Montana, already a host on the women's circuit.
ski holidays
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
The Lauberhorn is a classic race, one of ski racing's jewels, I wonder how many fans only watch Wengen, Kitzbuhel and Schladming for example. Moving it would make it just another race. Do you think tennis would move Wimbledon or cycling would decide Paris-Roubaix didn't need to feature cobbles.

Sad the way major sports bodies always seem concerned about personal prestige and money more than they do about the sports they're supposed to represent.
latest report
 You'll need to Register first of course.
Pride, stubbornness, and money.....sounds like Switzerland... Toofy Grin
ski holidays
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Langerzug wrote:
Pride, stubbornness, and money.....sounds like Switzerland... Toofy Grin

And the Swiss regard folk from the Bernese Oberland as particularly stubborn.
latest report
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
levart wrote:

Sad the way major sports bodies always seem concerned about personal prestige and money more than they do about the sports they're supposed to represent.

Very true. Some of them also enable predatory freak shows to occupy positions in which they prey upon young athletes for decades (e.g. USA Gymnastics).

I'd love to see the Olympics, FIS FIFA et al get back to deciding who's the fastest and so forth, and leave the obese bureaucracy and bankrupting venue-building behind.

The Lauberhorn cannot be moved. If it is genuinely too expensive to hold due to CV issues, we might have to accept that. If they're just being cheap, we should bury them in scorn.
ski holidays
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
FIFA, UEFA , IOC are all Swiss based and just look at the level of corruption, historic and probably current. Sepp Blatter, the now discredited ex FIFA president could well have been Swiss! International sports administration has never been the same since the Anglo Saxons (English speaking nations) were sidelined.
snow report
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
Funny then to see that GB wants to become the next CH: feeling oh-so independent, yet governed by banks, and in the end...Brussels, without having any real say
ski holidays
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
Zermatt has now announced a new downhill course to be ready for 2022. Claiming it to be the longest course, with estimated times for racers of around 2.5 secs.
ski holidays
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
Bloody quick that would be!! I of course meant 2.5 mins Embarassed
latest report
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
In the press it seems that there is a possibility for it to be resolved.Wengen have to have a new marketing strategy to the races. If they wish this race to survive, give and take from both sides should happen.Unfortunately this resort sleeps too much and this now is the consequence.Fingers crossed to save this race which is the essence of skiing
snow report
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
PREVIEW
7:47
Lauberhorn: The Essence of Downhill Ski Racing | ISOS012
YouTube · In Search of Speed
Jan 15, 2015
snow report
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
davidthornton wrote:
Zermatt has now announced a new downhill course to be ready for 2022. Claiming it to be the longest course, with estimated times for racers of around 2.5 secs.

I believe the proposed course goes from the Klein Matterhorn area on the Swiss side and drops down 1100 metres in altitude into Italy. I just wonder whether the racers will have to stop at the border to show their passports.... Toofy Grin
snow conditions
.... and get their temperature checked plus take a Corona test.
snow report
@DB, Laughing
snow report
FFS. I was hoping to do a road trip for my 50th that year, taking in the lauberhorn, then a week skiing somewhere, followed by Kitzbühel then the night slalom Crying or Very sad Hope they manage to sort it out. It's such a great event.
ski holidays
Swiss Ski withdraws application for cancellation of Lauberhorn.

https://www.srf.ch/sport/ski-alpin/ski-alpin-allgemein/verband-zeigt-sich-kooperativ-swiss-ski-zieht-antrag-auf-lauberhorn-streichung-zurueck

Looks like we're all friends again.
snow report
Now heard that the Italians have requested a postponement of Cortina World Ski Championships to 2022. 2022?
Feb 2022 is scheduled to be the Beijing Winter Olympics, it'll surely be too tight.
ski holidays
levart wrote:
The Lauberhorn is a classic race, one of ski racing's jewels, I wonder how many fans only watch Wengen, Kitzbuhel and Schladming for example. Moving it would make it just another race.

Understand the tradition aspect. But most of the money nowadays comes from TV, and thus from viewers worldwide. I doubt whether most know the location of the Lauberhorn (or even Wengen), and they would probably be just as happy with a race from elsewhere in Switzerland or even elsewhere in the Alps. So there is a limit as to how far resorts and federations can push things.
latest report
davidthornton wrote:
Now heard that the Italians have requested a postponement of Cortina World Ski Championships to 2022. 2022?
Feb 2022 is scheduled to be the Beijing Winter Olympics, it'll surely be too tight.

Cortina seem to be asking for the World Championships to be held in March 2022, haven't seen any specific dates yet.
latest report
ercureuil - I think all true aficionados of skiing know about Wengen Lauberhorn and the tradition and excitement it brings.Nothing in Switzerland could compare to the slope and scenery that this annual event brings. Lauberhorn is to skiing what Wimbledon is to tennis,
snow report
@Jill t, I agree. But my point is that it may no longer be the true afficiandos who are driving the agenda. It is now as much about where the money comes from, and what conditions / facilities are required in return. Lots of sports have decided to adapt their offering to fit in with media/sponsor requirements, and some traditions have fallen away as a result.
latest report
Looks like all parties are squabbling about their % share of the big TV cash.

Switzerland does a great job of being greedy and corrupt... but without appearing greedy and corrupt. Very clever folks.

The Lauberhorn race is not as good as it once was.

Crashes are less spectacular and nobody dies anymore.

Lost its edge.
snow report
Whitegold wrote:

The Lauberhorn race is not as good as it once was.

Crashes are less spectacular and nobody dies anymore.

Lost its edge.

Fascinating that you think a race is less good because nobody dies anymore. I guess you feel the same way about F1 motor racing too with their damn safety measures.... rolling eyes
ski holidays

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy