Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Geneva to Cervinia

Poster: A snowHead
Covid 19 permitting, I'm thinking about a November 2020 trip to Cervinia on a Snoworks course. Unfortunately getting a flight to Turin from Bristol is a long and expensive exercise, so was thinking of flying to Geneva and driving. Has anyone done this drive? How long does it take and is the climb up to resort tricky?
snow conditions
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Easy enough through the Mont Blanc tunnel to Aosta - motorway, though slow and speed limited up to the tunnel at Chamonix, and through the tunnel - which is sometimes busy, with queues, and always expensive. I've not driven up to Cervinia so can't help with that bit - I doubt it's a problem, though.
snow report
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Flight to Milan?
snow conditions
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
Milan doesn't cut a lot off the length of the journey, though it saves the Tunnel.
snow report
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Was just thinking back to when I did trips to Cervinia, admittedly 25+ years ago. I’m sure we flew in to Milan though I can’t recall which airport. It was a long transfer though.

Google maps suggests Driving time 2h15m from Malpensa against 2h45m Geneva. Avoids tunnel faff and expense also which might be significant.
ski holidays
 You'll need to Register first of course.
and car hire will be cheaper in Milan - though without winter tyres, probably.
ski holidays
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
@MurphyLucy, Milan Malpensa MXP is an easy drive to the Aosta Valley, tools will be about €26 and should take approx 2hrs. Hertz and the other main hire companies do have winter tyre options if you want to avoid chains, we have pre booked a 4x4 with winters the last two half terms and paid less than £150 for an Audi Q5 and Merc E class.
latest report
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
How about taking the train from GVA? You should be able to get to Aosta then change to get to Chatillion. But you'll need to do some research.

https://www.sbb.ch/en/buying/pages/fahrplan/fahrplan.xhtml

At the moment, the SBB schedule is reduced, so the times are very odd. Hopefully, this would get back to normal by the time you travel. Even if you can only get to Aosta by train, it would make for an easier journey, especially if the weather is bad,
snow report
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
Drove from Milan in January, pretty straightforward drive. winter tyres are mandatory In Milan, at least with Avis anyway - but always be sure to check.

Good job too as we had to drive back during a rather large dump of the white stuff, our rented octavia did a sterling job.
ski holidays
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
+1 for ease of drive from Malpensa, just a touch over 2 hours and all on motorway apart from the final climb.
No borders to cross so that also may make things simpler depending on the circumstances in November
ski holidays
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
Quote:

No borders to cross so that also may make things simpler depending on the circumstances in November

good point.
snow conditions
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
I drove from Milan Malpensa up to Aosta Valley and Cervinia in Feb this year, all pretty straightforward. Should take 2-2.5hrs. Much better than trying to do Geneva and Mt Blanc Tunnel.

All dual carriageway/motorway up to Chatillon, then a well-engineered road up the side valley to Cervinia, a few bendy sections as you climb higher towards Cervinia. The last bit as you approach Cervinia is a long concrete avalanche protected tunnel section.

Snow chains in the boot is the standard deal with most Milan rentals, hopefully you'll never need them!! snowHead

The only place I saw snow on the driving surface was in the car park at Cervinia, all the roads were clear. The summer tyres were fine, just need to slow down and be gentle with the controls like when we get snow in the UK.
ski holidays
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
Thought both easyjet & ryanair fly bristol to
turin.
ski holidays
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
LaForet wrote:
How about taking the train from GVA? You should be able to get to Aosta then change to get to Chatillion. But you'll need to do some research.

At the moment, the SBB schedule is reduced, so the times are very odd. Hopefully, this would get back to normal by the time you travel. Even if you can only get to Aosta by train, it would make for an easier journey, especially if the weather is bad,

What is a more normal journey time ?

The site is showing 8.5hrs or 16 hours ?
latest report
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Thanks very much for all your advice that's really helpful. Sounds like Milan is the way to go. Unfortunately the Ryanair flights only start at Christmas.
snow conditions
LaForet wrote:

Not sure Geneva to Chatillon by train is ever going to be fast? To pick up the train, flying to Milan or Lyon is probably quicker. And Chambery should be even quicker, as once you transfer to the station there are direct trains to Turin.
latest report
can you fly to Genoa as an option?
latest report
All the airport car-rental firms are on the brink of bankruptcy.

Don't book in advance.
ski holidays
Snow tyres are legally required for the whole of the Aosta valley - not just chains.
ski holidays
Not a bad drive, no worse than most main stream resorts - 3 1/2 hours 4 if its slow going on the climb (google says under 3). It's a long climb out of the Aosta valley, but this has been a popular resort since the first lifts went in 90 (or more) years ago! Plenty big enough roads, coaches get up there without issue. You do need to make sure you have snow tyres (shouldn't be an issue in November) and chains if you are not in a 4x4 as it's high and the last 10km is regularily snowy at that time of year.
If you are ok with driving to Tignes or Val Thorens , then no problem
latest report
If it helps - I've used Geneva, Milan and Turin to get to Cervinia in November

GVA was a ball ache, lots of hold ups and took 7hrs due to yellow jackets
Milan MLP was an easy drive about 2hr 20m
Turin was a dream and about 1hr 40m
snow conditions
aalexander wrote:
Snow tyres are legally required for the whole of the Aosta valley - not just chains.

That may well be the case but summer plus chains is what you usually get as standard based on my rentals at MXP and Verona this past winter.
latest report
aalexander wrote:

Not sure that is accurate, everything I've seen says snow tyres OR chains on board

https://www.courmayeurmontblanc.it/en/news/obbligo-di-pneumatici-invernali-o-catene

('o' means 'or' in Italian)
snow report
Scrooger wrote:

Yes, Turin is even better than Malpensa, if flights are available and reasonably priced. At Half-Term the prices go bananas.
snow conditions
Must it be Cervinia @MurphyLucy? Snoworks also do autumn courses in Tignes. Having done autumn training in both Cervinia and Tignes my slight preference is for the latter. For me the reasons are: a bit closer to drive to; fewer lost days due to bad weather (in Cervinia if you have high winds you can't get over to the glacier, though the folk on the Zermatt side still can. Tignes also affected by high winds but has to be very bad to close the glacier lifts (access is by funicular).
snow conditions
Scrooger wrote:

not driven GVA to Cervinia but have to Zermatt.
Have driven malpenza and torino to Cervinia.

i agree with this guy.

+1 malpenza ahead of GVA
ski holidays

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy