Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Simon Butler wins court case

Poster: A snowHead
British ski instructor Simon Butler after many years long struggle, that saw him receive a total of 42,000 Euros in fines and a suspended prison sentence, has finally won his fight to teach in France https://www.france24.com/en/20200518-british-ski-instructor-wins-years-long-fight-to-teach-in-france

Butler's lawyer, Philippe Planes, added that Butler's newfound freedom to teach at the school he runs would not be changed by Brexit.

"It won't change anything for Britons already settled here, their rights are secured," he said.

"For others in the future, that will depend on the negotiations under way" on Britain's future relation with the EU, he said.

I think there just might be a few noses out of joint at ESF (and some in BASI) as a result of the court ruling. Toofy Grin
latest report
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Is there any difference between ESF and BASI Puzzled
snow conditions
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
https://www.thelocal.fr/20200518/british-ski-instructor-can-give-lessons-in-france-after-winning-7-year-legal-battle
ski holidays
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
Good for him
ski holidays
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Yay, not before time. A shameful business, but a good final result.

I wonder if he will now take it further.
ski holidays
 You'll need to Register first of course.
Funny that case was one mostly because of the EU legislation on regulated professions (FR not applying it correctly), yet UKIP waved the flag Wink
snow report
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
I read somewhere that BASI had spent £250k to end up on the losing side. If true then there should be consequences.
snow report
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
@jbob, Why were BASI in the fight at all?
ski holidays
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
@Riccardo,
A good question with a bitterly contested answer.
If you search on snowheads there’s a lot of comment.
snow report
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
Who was it who said all those years ago that he knew the law and Simon wouldn't win wink Puzzled
latest report
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
stewart woodward wrote:
Who was it who said all those years ago that he knew the law and Simon wouldn't win wink Puzzled

BASI? The ESF? The Mayor of Megeve? Toofy Grin
latest report
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
philwig wrote:
Yay, not before time. A shameful business, but a good final result.

I wonder if he will now take it further.

Interesting, obviously he'll get back any fines paid, but I don't know whether French law allows a claim for financial loss to his business due to (subsequently determined to be) incorrect criminal charges. Come to that I don't know whether British Law allows such a claim either (I expect not).

Of course he (and his supporters) might want to take it further with BASI..... Madeye-Smiley
snow report
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
stewart woodward wrote:

Go on then, who?
snow conditions
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
stewart woodward wrote:
Is there any difference between ESF and BASI Puzzled

Is this one of those Zen Buddhist questions?
ski holidays
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
@Gerry,

TTT was one vocal person who said Simon wouldn't win and if I recall a lady? From chamonix area
snow report
Great news, well overdue.
snow conditions
Happy for him. He should be compensated for damage done to his business, loss of earnings, stress etc.
ski holidays
I don’t think he will be claiming off BASI.

https://www.basi.org.uk/BASI/Home_Page_News/BASI_Statement_regarding_Simon_Butler_Court_Action_.aspx
ski holidays
jbob wrote:
@Riccardo,
A good question with a bitterly contested answer.
If you search on snowheads there’s a lot of comment.

You're right there's a huge amount of comment. I'm not sure any of the bits I read really answered the question as to why BASI got quite as involved as it did. But sadly, a noticeable lack of defence of their actions.
ski holidays
jbob wrote:
I don’t think he will be claiming off BASI.

https://www.basi.org.uk/BASI/Home_Page_News/BASI_Statement_regarding_Simon_Butler_Court_Action_.aspx

The BASI statement (from a few years back I think?) states that "While BASI maintains that its position was correct...." In the light of the French court's final determination that Simon Butler was entitled to work as a ski instructor in France does BASI still maintain that its position was correct? Puzzled
snow report
stewart woodward wrote:
@Gerry,

TTT was one vocal person who said Simon wouldn't win and if I recall a lady? From chamonix area

Firechick?

I was skeptical when all this started, when was it? 2003 or 2004? 17 years fighting the authorities.
snow report
TTT seemed to be some back bottom who thought only native ski instructors were worthwhile and pretended to be some bigshot lawyer who assured us Butler didn't have a case. Possibly a troll.
ski holidays
Hilarious, on the same news article on Snow Industry News BASI are advertising for instructors...
latest report
Will have to do more research because there was more than case against Butler. Didn't the authorities agree he, personally, could teach but he was employing unqualified, in French eyes, stagieres. I think the stagieres got fined as well or is this fine theirs?

The battle he is/was having over employing and training of stagieres is the same battle ESF is having with ESi and other more 'local' ski schools...
snow report
If you dig out episode 14 of the Ski Instructors Podcast it is an extended interview with Simon Butler, where he goes into all the history and the final result (which was, as I understand, known some months ago and this final step was just a formality). As I recall (it's been a while since I listened to it) all the guys working for him are cleared too..
Well worth a listen if you've been following this at all.
snow report
@Tubaski, this seems to be a separate criminal case but as I said this has been going on since 2003 in various forms.
snow conditions
@davidof, He does say in the interview that there was one case left to formally be resolved, but that the rulings in the other cases effectively meant that it was a formality. I'm pretty sure this is it.
ski holidays
Rosbifs wrote:
The battle he is/was having over employing and training of stagieres is the same battle ESF is having with ESi and other more 'local' ski schools...
That's not my understanding of the current case, which seems now to have been settled in Butler's favour. AIUI, this case was focused on whether he was personally qualified to teach, and whether the French authorities should have recognised his qualifications and issued a Carte Pro.
snow report
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
rob@rar wrote:
AIUI, this case was focused on whether he was personally qualified to teach, and whether the French authorities should have recognised his qualifications and issued a Carte Pro.

I'm wondering about that. Does this case clarify the legality of L2s and L3s working in France ?
latest report
The L2 and L3 were also found not guilty.
snow report
stewart woodward wrote:
The L2 and L3 were also found not guilty.
That's what I heard as well. Do you know if the judgement has been published? On previous occasions I thought the immediate news about the judgement didn't match exactly what the judgement said.
ski holidays
@rob@rar, not sure when the judgement will be published. It takes a long time in France
snow report
Quote:
I'm wondering about that. Does this case clarify the legality of L2s and L3s working in France ?

^ Simons argument was that EU law meant L2, L3 or L4 were equivalent qualifications and eligible to work in France.
Basically French interpretation (which required L4 plus Euro-test to issue a carte-pro) was in direct contradiction to EU law.
BASI didn't back him on that fight and even chucked him out of the association.

Fair play to Simon Butler for winning his court case : not going to lie I was originally sceptical.
As a permanent resident in France he can carry on teaching and deserves to be pleased with result.
However for most people Brexit will mean this "victory" is an irrelevance.
latest report
Haggis_Trap wrote:

However for most people Brexit will mean this "victory" is an irrelevance.

Most Brits but not for people who have taken the Swiss or German exams etc who are EU nationals.

However will it change anything. The Grenoble office that deals with carte pro still routinely tells everyone without the Eurotest they can't teach and then waits to be taken to court before issuing a carte pro at the last minute. Will this change? It adds 3 to 5 years to the process.
latest report
Haggis_Trap wrote:
... Simon's argument was that EU law meant L2, L3 or L4 were equivalent qualifications and eligible to work in France.
Basically French law (which required L4 plus Euro-test to issue a carte-pro) was in direct contradiction to EU law.
BASI didn't back him on that fight and even chucked him out of the association.... .
That's how I remember it.

BASI allowed their own qualifications to be treated as second-rate in France, with the result that at least Butler's business was threatened.
When he complained, they threw him out of their organisation.

The BASI statement doesn't explain why they would apparently damage their own qualifications' standing
and their members' interests in that way.
snow report
philwig wrote:

The BASI statement doesn't explain why they would apparently damage their own qualifications' standing

^ France one of the few places in world you can make full time living teaching skiing as career rather than seasonal job (90% L4 teach there). BASI could have chosen to fight this battle, on behalf of lower levels : but victory would have risked killing the golden goose and seriously rocked Anglo-French relationship.
snow report
Haggis_Trap wrote:
philwig wrote:

^ France one of the few places in world you can make full time living teaching skiing as career rather than seasonal job (90% L4 teach there). BASI could have chosen to fight this battle, on behalf of lower levels : but victory would have risked killing the golden goose and seriously rocked Anglo-French relationship.

Ironic that in a small way it no doubt contributed to the Brexit result.
snow conditions
But, France not being a common law jurisdiction, will this actually change anything for all the other instructors?

My (limited) understanding is only ECJ can force France change the law and procedures. That can take another 10 years to battle.
ski holidays
Oleski wrote:
But, France not being a common law jurisdiction, will this actually change anything for all the other instructors?

My (limited) understanding is only ECJ can force France change the law and procedures. That can take another 10 years to battle.

No that is case law now. If someone is prosecuted for the same offence(s) then the lower courts will have to abide by the appeal court decisions. Only if the state appeals to the Court de Cassation (supreme court) will that possibly change.

Laws can change though. The new EU MOU stamp may superseed all this. Rob might know more. AFAIKS L4s and L3s will be able to work independently as the French have to accept their level minus 1 I think, again Rob might be able to confirm.

It doesn't stop the office issuing carte pro being obstructive as they are.

This doesn't just affect Ski Instructors, the French deep state is very deep and very obstructive. The French health minister said it was very difficult to get anything done during the Covid crisis due to various "corporations" and functionaries obstructing everything.
latest report
davidof wrote:
The new EU MOU stamp may superseed all this. Rob might know more. AFAIKS L4s and L3s will be able to work independently as the French have to accept their level minus 1 I think, again Rob might be able to confirm.
The MOU stamp doesn't change anything, it's just a mechanism to make the administration of cross-border working for professionals a little smoother. It doesn't involve any new legislation.

You'll have a much better understanding of French law than me, but the only thing I'd add to what you said for qualifications below L4 is that independent working would be on the basis of temporary provision of their services rather than the right to become fully established.

You're right about the potential for the office being obstructive about issuing Carte Pros. IIRC, I believe that Jean-Yves has (or is preparing to) move legal proceedings against some of the key officials in Albertville for not complying with French law.
snow conditions

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy