Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

When are Ski Boots too Old?

Poster: A snowHead
Poster: A snowHead
I'm sure there is a point where ski boots have to be replaced... I'd like to find your opinions.

I suspect that its probably when they start to feel comfortable.
ski holidays
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
20 weeks skiing.

You just know.
snow report
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
When they no longer perform how you want.
snow report
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
You need to Login to know who's really who.
When you've done about 3 liners. Probably 1.5ish for zipfits.
snow conditions
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
How do you know when your liners are too old?!

I can't remember how old my boots are because they are really comfy. However, I found that they were over flexing forward a couple of seasons ago so I fitted a power strap, which definitely helped. The liners are a bit flat though.... They might be 8 years old (25 weeks).
snow conditions
 You'll need to Register first of course.
You'll need to Register first of course.
Even liners differ. When I bought my current Heads Cedric here told me they'd last a lot longer than the Salomons I had before. He was right, they've done 400 days. OK they're shot as are the boots but not a total disaster.
snow conditions
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
400 days on a stock liner without new foot problems emerging?
ski holidays
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
@Dave of the Marmottes, They're obviously sloppier than they were but no foot problems. I'm going to dump them next season and use my touring boots with alpine soles.
ski holidays
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
I'm on my 3rd pair of piste boots and the two previous pairs both lasted about 20 weeks. They then went from very comfy to agony very quickly. Seems to me that once they've packed out to a certain level then they stop preventing my ankle trying to bend more than it's physically capable of bending.
I'd love to try Zipfit liners but I don't know of anyone in Scotland who fits them.
snow report
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
Ski the Net with snowHeads
I reckon people bin perfectly good shells before they need to. If you view liners as a consumable part I think it's a better view and you can probably expect 10 years/200 days minimum out of a shell that is well fitted. (assuming you don't constantly walk around on tarmac, huck cliffs, eat too many pies) That's 2 seasons for full timers and past a point when the plastics have probably destabilised for 1 week per year holidaymakers.
snow report
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
@DrLawn, Most manufacturers would tell you that after about 8 years or so (regardless of how much skiing you do) the risk of a catastrophic failure of the plastic or metal bits on your boots increases exponentially. Not an issue if you're just pottering about on easy runs, but a serious problem if you ski hard and fast or the failure occurs in the back of beyond. Had this discussion with a highly respected Austrian boot technician last season, He had just refused to fit new liners to the boots of one of his most important (and profitable) clients for exactly this reason.
latest report
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
RedandWhiteFlachau wrote:
@DrLawn, Most manufacturers would tell you that after about 8 years or so (regardless of how much skiing you do) the risk of a catastrophic failure of the plastic or metal bits on your boots increases exponentially.

Probably a reason to hire stuff if you only ski once a year.

Or to ski more often!
ski holidays
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
I must be bored. On the other hand I've worn out a fair few ski and snowboard race boots. I get nervous with gear when it's more than a few years old - I figure that the costs / hassle of something failing when I really need it to work are high, and it's better to avoid that happening. Well that's my excuse for my toys, anyway.

And as it happens I vaguely may work in statistics, so maybe I have the numbers...
  • I tend to dump boots after about 140 days use on average (max 174, min 108).
  • I had one pair I didn't like (29 days then dumped).

Most purchase justifications have been simply fear of failure.
I never had "liner packing out issues". My liners seem to settle in pretty quickly in use (these are all hard shell boots).
My current boots (Carbon Backlands) I bought because they weigh half what my previous ones did. May that trend continue.
snow conditions
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
I was thinking about this last night as I was nearly screaming in agony with my left ankle ...
(I'm sure I have a bad case of Osteoarthritis)

I believe the heel and toe plates can be replaced on Salomon boots .. or they look like they can ..
Although they get a bit of wear, I've never got to the stage where I've wanted to replace them, a new pair of boots happened along before they got to the
stage of replacing them.
I cant imagine going into Snot & Row and walking out with some boot spare parts.

I was expecting someone to say "When the laces have too many knots in them"...
I've never owned lace up boots .. I've used them back in the early 70's ...
Lent to me by my mates dad (ex Hitler Youth ski team) ...
along with those skis that had "safety bindings" which pulled the heel of the leather boot tight into the rat trap.
Yes, those skis with the binding edges screwed in ... all there except the ones right under your feet, for some reason.
snow report
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
@philwig, You probably are bored .. here we are talking ski gossip when summer is just about to happen .
We cant really look forward to a summer holiday .. so we are just starting the pre winter warm up early.

I'm going to have a beer with my WhatsApp group now .. its coming up to happy hour, have a great weekend all and don't get too bored.
snow conditions

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy