Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Is any airline flying to Geneva at the moment

Poster: A snowHead
I was due to fly out to Geneva on Monday 18th May but once again Easyjet have cancelled my flight and the first date they're offering is 1st July. Is anyone else flying out there at the moment?
snow conditions
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Not many by the looks of things:

https://www.gva.ch/en/arrivals
snow report
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
why not drive, roads will be empty
snow report
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
https://www.gov.uk/foreign-travel-advice/switzerland/entry-requirements
snow report
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
@4q, you can request a refund or get them to put you on any operating airline. Wasn't Swiss still running into LHR?
ski holidays
 You'll need to Register first of course.
@4q, I think there's an LHR/GVA on Swiss every other day at present.

Let us know if you still get a free chocolate.
snow report
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
FYI last week, I booked Eurotunnel to drive to Switzerland Aug returning Sept for around £170 return. They confirmed that I could change the booking under the usual conditions of paying any difference if the new date costs more. What swung it for me was that the Eurotunnel system said the traffic was busy both dates (a Sunday and Wednesday, respectively). They could be trying to talk-up the demand, but if it's true, it may indicate people are switching to driving for trips to residences secondaires and family etc. on top of the usual holiday trips i.e. it might be worth considering.

As you probably know, there's a viable all-Autoroute route from Calais to Geneva via Mâcon and Bourg-en-Bresse, which would mean minimal contact externally, other than for fuel. viamichelin estimates 844kms and 7h51m driving, so potentially feasible for 2+ drivers (I wouldn't want to drive that long on my own, personally).
snow conditions
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
@LaForet, Better taking the A39 rather than the A6. Much quieter to Bourg-en-Bresse.
ski holidays
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
I don't think we will consider flying for some time yet.

But if by, say, September or October it is deemed safe to travel to France, we may consider a drive to the Alps (via the Tunnel).

The slight downside for us is that over 1/3 of the drive would be in the UK... rolling eyes

It would still be feasible though. We once drove to the Austrian Alps for a 3 night trip from Durham. Very Happy
latest report
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
Isn't the problem that we all have now that so long as the FCO is saying 'no overseas travel' then our travel insurance is void. For me into France I'ld still have an EHIC but what about, for example, repatriation after an RTA (or fall in the street for that matter)?
ski holidays
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
As you say, the EHIC is valid in the EU and Switzerland, so immediate care and ICU care would be covered until 31.12.20 For @4g I'm assuming this is a business trip at this time of year? If so, their employer would be liable for the rest, I'd have thought. If not, then yes, you'd be travelling under personal liability. So that's a cost/risk judgement for the moment. Having just hit my travel insurer for £5000 worth of expenses following a ski accident (including helicopter evac off the mountain), I appreciate the point about no cover.
ski holidays
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
Jonny996 wrote:
why not drive, roads will be empty

Because I'm going to pick my car up which has been parked at the airport since 13th March Very Happy

I also have to empty the Chalet which I rented for the season as my tenancy officially ended on 10th April. Plus I continue to pay rent until I can vacate.
snow report
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
4G, even if you can get to GVA your problems may not end there; it may be problematic getting from Switzerland to France, you'd need to check or perhaps local snowheads could advise.
ski holidays
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
marcellus wrote:
4G, even if you can get to GVA your problems may not end there; it may be problematic getting from Switzerland to France, you'd need to check or perhaps local snowheads could advise.

Swiss border with France won't open until June 15th. https://www.jungfrauzeitung.ch/artikel/181905/

Don’t know whether you can get round this at GVA somehow. Swiss border for UK arrivals is closed anyway, unless you have a Swiss passport or residence permit.
ski holidays
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
According to the Swiss Government website you can fly in to Switzerland if you are transiting immediately to another country. The five border crossings in the Geneva area are currently open (and have been since 20th April) including Bardonex which is the one I’d use.

Local advice would be much appreciated though if anyone has experience of the situation.
snow report
@4q, if you can’t fly to gva how about Paris or Lyon and then hire a car?
snow conditions
Completely left-field thought: is there any way you can contrive to hitch a lift with a lorry going that way? There must be some haulier in the UK taking a load to/from Switzerland. I wouldn't know where to start, but someone in the haulage industry might know.
ski holidays
In this link there is an email address you can ask the question and hopefully the reply you get can be presented to the airline to let you on board and to border control at gva to get you through.

https://www.sem.admin.ch/sem/en/home/aktuell/aktuell/faq-einreiseverweigerung.html#Questions%20on%20border%20closures%20and%20the%20exceptions
snow conditions
Train? Eurostar to Paris and then onward in some way. Not quite sure how to get over the French Swiss border but lots hop through it for work every day.
ski holidays
@4q Frontalier workers are allowed between France and Switzerland at the moment through certain border crossings.
I have a cross-border work permit (G), so can cross but the hours are very restrictive.
I am allowed into Switzerland between 06h00 and 09h00 and can leave between 16h00 and 19h00.
Don't know what would happen if I got back to the border at Veigy after 19h00 (but I am not keen to find out).
I might be able to get your car into France (Morzine area) but that's probably not a great deal of help to you either.
Word on the street is that on June the 1st the border rules will be relaxed a bit and a couple of weeks later it may be opened to non-workers too.
ski holidays
Thanks for everyone's replies. @WindOfChange, I've emailed them on the site you've linked, thank you. It appears that only some border crossings have restricted time slots, which one are you using?
ski holidays
@4q, Veigy, when I drive, but I only go rarely at the moment.
I will be going on the ferry from Yvoire to Nyon one day next week.
But will go more regularly after June 1st.
snow report
Good luck with trying to get through any of the borders at the moment, much better to wait a little while. Swiss now have a page showing their current route map which they are updating when more routes come back https://www.swiss.com/ch/EN/book/where-we-fly/route-network. If you have had the virus you might want to look into getting an antibody test. They are not currently a requirement for entry or travel but lots of talk of them becoming so (or at least avoiding the need for any quarantine period)
snow report
Private jet will be the best option for now.

Prices have rocketed, tho.

Nobody wants to sit in a flying tube with the death plague for 2 hours.
ski holidays
@4q, I am going tomorrow.
I'll stop at the border and ask them if you like.
Is the car UK registered or French Registered?
ski holidays
WindOfChange wrote:
@4q, I am going tomorrow.
I'll stop at the border and ask them if you like.
Is the car UK registered or French Registered?

Many thanks, it’s UK registered.
snow report
I stopped at the border on my way out on Wednesday to ask about the situation for going to collect a car.
The border guard said that although the airport was a bit different, the underlying reasons for entry are the same.
He said that they would not let you in on the Veigy border, and that at the airport you would probably be denied entry and put on the next plane back.
As you are not
a) a worker with a valid permit
b) Swiss National
c) other vital mission
I asked about the idea that you would be transiting and that was theoretically permitted, but he said that was for people arriving on one flight, going through the transit lounge and then leaving on another flight (without actually entering Switzerland). But you would be entering Switzerland so it's not the same.
Like I said he worked the Veigy border where its different (mainly) Swiss going to the French Supermarkets and cross border workers from France, but the way he explained it, he gave the impression that there would be a 90% chance you'd be sent back sans voiture Sad
latest report
Bergmeister wrote:
marcellus wrote:

Interesting to note that "4G" isn't actually 4G. On closer inspection he's actually something a bit more abusive... wink

I think he (she?) may find the border police will respond with his/her snowheads name when he tries to gain entry Very Happy
latest report
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
@snowdave, Smile Smile Smile
snow report
snowdave wrote:
Bergmeister wrote:
marcellus wrote:

Interesting to note that "4G" isn't actually 4G. On closer inspection he's actually something a bit more abusive... wink

I think he (she?) may find the border police will respond with his/her snowheads name when he tries to gain entry Very Happy

Shocked Laughing Laughing
snow conditions
WindOfChange wrote:
I stopped at the border on my way out on Wednesday to ask about the situation for going to collect a car.
The border guard said that although the airport was a bit different, the underlying reasons for entry are the same.
He said that they would not let you in on the Veigy border, and that at the airport you would probably be denied entry and put on the next plane back.
As you are not
a) a worker with a valid permit
b) Swiss National
c) other vital mission
I asked about the idea that you would be transiting and that was theoretically permitted, but he said that was for people arriving on one flight, going through the transit lounge and then leaving on another flight (without actually entering Switzerland). But you would be entering Switzerland so it's not the same.
Like I said he worked the Veigy border where its different (mainly) Swiss going to the French Supermarkets and cross border workers from France, but the way he explained it, he gave the impression that there would be a 90% chance you'd be sent back sans voiture Sad

Thank you for asking, much appreciated
snow report
[quote="snowdave"]
Bergmeister wrote:
marcellus wrote:

No it isn’t, I’ve done nothing but queue since lockdown started. Many more than 4 queues most days Smile
snow report
Very Happy Very Happy Very Happy
ski holidays
@4q, I had a client in the same boat as you, he flew out SwissAir on Friday, picked up his car from the short term car park, crossed to France, emptied his things out of a Property in Meribel then drove home arriving back in UK last night.

The only tricky bit he says was getting in to Switzerland, he had a letter from the Swiss Embassy in the UK, giving him permission/consent and a letter from the Owner ordering him out, the Airline were 50/50 as to whether he would be allowed in so made him sign a disclaimer that if he were refused entry the return flight would be at his cost. Border control were tricky but eventually waved him on his way, the car park was OK and after initially wanting to charge him £2,500 agreed to charge for the weekend that he was planning to be there, the Border to France was normal and from there on no issues with the trip.
snow report
marcellus wrote:
... the car park was OK and after initially wanting to charge him £2,500 agreed to charge for the weekend that he was planning to be there....

I bet he was relieved that they waived the £2,500 charge!! Shocked Madeye-Smiley
latest report
Geneva resident friends came up to Chamonix for the weekend with no checks...
snow conditions
Friends were refused at the main Geneva border crossing but got through one of the smaller ones which was unmanned and open
snow report
I’m just off to the airport, fingers crossed
snow report
Let us know how you get on!
snow report
I made it through without any issue. When I checked in they asked why I was travelling to Geneva and whether it was essential, I explained that my lease had expired and my landlord was kicking me out. When I got to Swiss passport control he asked where I was going and when I told him France and then England tomorrow he waved me through. No border checks into France.
I’d emailed the airport parking some weeks ago as my car has been there since 8th March, but as I’ve mentioned before they’d said to just go to the parking office when I arrived. When I got there it was closed with no one around. I stuck my ticket in the machine and it asked me for CHF2740! After a bit of a panic I found a ticket machine with a help button (not all of seem to have one) and explained my situation, he asked how many days I should have been there for and just charged me the 11 days which was a relief. I was also expecting a flat battery after 3 months so I’d brought a booster pack with me but the car started first time, so overall the journey couldn’t have gone smoother.
latest report

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy