Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Swiss ski job tax reclaim

Poster: A snowHead
Poster: A snowHead
Hi - my 19 yr old son returned early from a ski season in Saas Fee and is asking if/how he can reclaim the tax he had deducted from his employment out there. I have tried googling without much success - has anyone else had any success with this? I think they call it the withholding tax. Thank you Smile
ski holidays
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Don’t think you can. My wife works for ski school in Wengen every winter and nobody claims back their income tax.
ski holidays
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Is it TAX or AVS / AVH ?
I think you might be able to can claim back some AVS contributions if you're leaving Switzerland indefinitely and not going to work there again.
Or you can leave it be till you retire, and have a very small Swiss pension Smile
latest report
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
You need to Login to know who's really who.
Looking at his pay slip he has the following deductions:

Abzuge
AHV/IV/EO
ALV
Krankengeldversicherung
Unfallversicherung
Quellensteuer

I guess some of this will be health insurance deductions that can't be reclaimed - but the largest figure is the Quellensteuer which I think is the withholding tax. If there is a process to reclaim it I'd be very interested to find out how.
snow report
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Unless there is something special about the ski industry I don’t think you can. Quellensteuer is basically PAYE, i.e. he’s been taxed on what he’s earned at source.
ski holidays
 You'll need to Register first of course.
You'll need to Register first of course.
Thanks for your comments and taking the time to reply - I'll deliver the bad news Sad
snow report
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
@sstain1, You probably know this already, but Abzuge means deductions in German. Information about AHV/IV/EO deductions here: https://www.gastrosocial.ch/en/insurance-offer/ahv-old-age-and-survivors-insurance , looks like AHV is the Old Age Pension, IV is disability insurance and EO is Income Compensation regulations (for people doing obligatory Swiss military or Civilian service). ALV is Unemployment insurance. Krankengeldversicherung is Health Insurance and Unfallversicherung is Accident insurance. The Quellensteuer is the income tax.
snow conditions
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
@Alastair Pink, Thanks for your reply - we were hoping that, as in the UK, there would be a personal allowance of tax free earnings. It appears he has been taxed the equivalent of a BR tax code. He was only out there for 4 months and his wage was not very high. I guess the system is different in Switzerland?
ski holidays
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
@sstain1, Sorry, I've no personal knowledge of the Swiss income tax rules. Perhaps some of the Swiss residing sHs can comment as to whether there is a personal allowance or whether it's a flat rate from zero income upwards?

Edit: P.S Welcome to snowHeads! snowHead
snow report
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
Ski the Net with snowHeads
sstain1 -- have a read of this, might help

https://en.comparis.ch/umzug-schweiz/neu-in-der-schweiz/information/quellensteuer-zurueckfordern-rueckerstattung

https://www.englishforum.ch/finance-banking-taxation/151454-thumped-taxes-after-leaving-switzerland.html
latest report
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
Alastair Pink wrote:
@sstain1, Sorry, I've no personal knowledge of the Swiss income tax rules. Perhaps some of the Swiss residing sHs can comment as to whether there is a personal allowance or whether it's a flat rate from zero income upwards?

Edit: P.S Welcome to snowHeads! snowHead

Mrs t_m pays a flat rate from zero, plus all the other deductions. The rate is lower than U.K. tax rates, but there are no personal allowances.
snow conditions
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
Firstly, he will be liable for self assessment in The UK even if he was PAYE for foreign earned income. I'm in the same position even though I'm paid in the UK from a Swiss office via UK payroll. You have until Jan to do it.

Also Switzerland and the UK have a bidirectional agreement so he may not be able to claim money back because he has paid tax locally just the same as Ch can't ask me for money because I'm in the UK. He may have the UK allowance etc in his benefit for future employment here.

Call HMRC regarding tax credit. He may only benefit next year.
snow conditions
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
Even if you have a good tax accountant, they may not be familiar with UK:CH reciprocal tax arrangements. Make sure that he doesn't also have to complete any sort of authorisation for HMRC or his CH bank to obtain Swiss personal financial information. I've had to complete two such:

Authorisation for Future/Voluntary or Withholding Tax
Bilateral Tax Agreement UK

but these may only be relevant to those like me with property in the country. Worth checking, anyway. You know HMRC - it's always your fault for not doing something they knew you had to do but never told you about even 'though you would happily have done it if you'd known you had to.

Last edited by So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much on Wed 13-05-20 11:44; edited 1 time in total
ski holidays
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
@LaForet, exactly. I spoke to them 2x about why I had a letter for self assessment even though I was PAY E
snow report
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
When you leave a canton you have to inform the tax office and effectively close your account with them. They then decide whether you get a refund of anything or not. He also should have returned his permit to the Zivilstand or his gemeinde where he was resident.
latest report

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy