Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

No Après-Ski/ Nightlife or Gastronomy 2020/21

Poster: A snowHead
Quote:

One cough on the dancefloor and you're toast

Absurd scaremongering, @Whitegold. Most skiers who catch Covid will run a low risk of becoming seriously ill.
latest report
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
telford_mike wrote:
Grizzler wrote:
Ski 9-4, lunch from your pocket, on piste or in chair/gondola, quick evening bite and bottles of beer in room from supermarket..? Sounds utterly normal and perfectly fine to me.
Prefer not to have a midday lift break though: hate stopping and re-starting, and usually it's the quietest time when you're fed up if all those crowds.
But otherwise..? Just gotta get to and stay there, and return from, safely.

Maybe, for some smaller ski stations. Our village would quickly go out of business with this model. Apres ski and eating out are key to our village's survival. I don't think the industry can survive without apres ski.

a ski holiday for me encompasses the whole experience and would roughly split 2/5 skiing 2/5 apres 4-7pm and lunch on a sunny terrace plus another 1/5 for the hotel and evening so if was just restricted to skiing dont think I would bother going ,would still cost the same /day-week with less than 1/2 of what id be looking for plus as for mrs ski for fun it would be a no no the thought of carrying our own sustinence round would not get past the booking stage which will or hopefully wont mean I would miss my 50th year of alpine ski hols
snow conditions
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
@ski for fun, Indeed why bother going on a ski holiday if only 40% of the experience is skiing. 3 hours a a day apres and having lunch seems rather excessive to me. Surly 1/2 hour for lunch and a quick drink on the way back is all you need. To spend so much time in bars and resaurants would depress me considerably.
latest report
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
Self - catered chalets, and condos are still an option.
Especially where you can get on the mountain without a gondola (Morgins, Les Crosets, Chatel).
Also starting late and finishing early negates the need for a lunch.
It's pretty much like most weekends for us.
Get up late due to Friday night, and have a big breakfast.
Get to PLJ for 10 - chairlift access to PdS.
Board till 3:30. Come home, beers in the hot tub (plenty of chlorine to kill unwanted bugs).
Apero till 7. Big meal with wine. After dinner, more drinks, a game of pool some music & sleep.
Rinse and repeat.....
That being said it would be a bit crap in a 20m2 shoe box in Val Claret.
ski holidays
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
@johnE, you in bed for 6-7pm then after your quick drink on the way home? That’d depress me......everyone does things differently I’d suggest.

I’m happy skiing 9-5 with an hour for lunch most days, or 8.30-4.30 with a bowl of soup if it’s a pow day, or if I’m skied out call it a day rather than do that daft last run home and potentially get injured....2-3 beers on a sunny terrace, then some wellness and a lovely dinner is all part of the experience imo.
ski holidays
 You'll need to Register first of course.
stanton wrote:
Public Control of Disease Act 1984.. specifically Covid 19 (detaining people against your will, personal possessions ceased and destroyed, interrogated, forced medical examinations) applicable now. Look it up....its scarry.....

More bollox rolling eyes

There is a video doing the rounds on social media which states that changes to the Control of Disease Act 1984, which came into force on the 27th April 2020 regarding vaccines and Covid-19 medical treatment, mean that the Government has the power to force medication on you and that this means vaccines. This is not correct and I set out below where the information in the YouTube video came from and why it is a misinterpretation or wrong.

More here https://www.gardencourtchambers.co.uk/coronavirus-legal-news-views/coronavirus-act-2020-does-it-permit-mandatory-vaccinations
snow conditions
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Quote:

@johnE, you in bed for 6-7pm then after your quick drink on the way home? That’d depress me......everyone does things differently I’d suggest.

Bed for 6pm. Where did that come from. Just, I like to ski. Once back at the apartment I'd start cooking dinner, read a book, have a bath, have dinner, go out to a bar later for a drink, perhaps watch a band, but TBH if I don't go out i'm not that bothered. All the people I want to talk to are in the apartment anyway. 2-3 beers on the way back (even my normal small ones) would make me sleepy and in a bad mood all evening.
My skiing universe must be somewhere else. I know no one who would spend that much time drinking that early in the day
ski holidays
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
@MorningGory, Toofy Grin Toofy Grin
ski holidays
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
Some science
http://youtube.com/v/oj-CTGxDE8U
latest report
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
@johnE, not 2-3 beers every day obviously but nice to chill out on way back to b&b a few times over the week...
snow conditions
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
@Markymark29, I suspect that is what the difference is. I'm going back to a nice apartment. You are returing to a b&b. I can understand why you would want to stay out of a hotel room as much as possible.
snow conditions
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
terrygasson wrote:
off topic I know, but I wonder if from now on, gondolas will be a thing of the past, and any that need to be replaced will be with high speed/high capacity chairs.

I assume there will be cases where gondolas will still be required, but I much prefer chairs anyway as it is less faffing around, was disappointed when ramses 1 and 2 chair was removed from meribel-mottaret as you could always use these chairs to avoid pas-de-lac gondola to get up to saluire

+1 for me!
snow conditions
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
johnE wrote:
@ski for fun, Indeed why bother going on a ski holiday if only 40% of the experience is skiing. 3 hours a a day apres and having lunch seems rather excessive to me. Surly 1/2 hour for lunch and a quick drink on the way back is all you need. To spend so much time in bars and resaurants would depress me considerably.

think youve misunderstood or more likley ive not made clear , the times are not meant to be taken literally what I was trying to say for me a ski holiday is just that a holiday and there are different elements to it of which it would be fair to say in my case not all the fun comes from the actual skiing part and judging by the folks ive met on hols its similar for a fair percentage of folks ,cheers
ski holidays
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
@ski for fun, I'm with you on this to some extent. When I'm on a trip, the last thing I want to do is look at apartment or hotel walls in the evening. Ski first to last lifts, a good lunch (but not a long one) is what I like. Once I come down I want more than a quick drink, especially if in Austria! Then once suitably lubricated and cleaned up I want a big dinner, in a restaurant preferably, and then if I'm not falling asleep on my feet, a digestive or too. Yes everyday of the trip please.

The big difference though is I will still go to the mountains to ski, even if I can't have the evening fun too! Skiing really is the biggest part, by quite some way.
ski holidays
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Stuck in the apartment, having to cook Shocked

Bliss Cool

What we do every time, OK may go out for odd lunch and dinner, but would easily cope if we couldn't.
ski holidays
No apres ski, that would be sad Sad

How would people learn to ski in the dark if they were not coming down from a mountain bar at 8pm ?

It would certainly make ski holidays a lot cheaper though if my previous bar bills are anything to go by.
snow conditions
Quote:

Stuck in the apartment, having to cook

Bliss

I agree, and I did it for weeks on end in France, either with my OH or with visiting friends and family. If I never went to another bar, or restaurant, it wouldn't bother me much - I prefer sharing something that I, or friends, have cooked and a bottle of good quality wine which would cost ££££££££££ in a restaurant.
latest report
@pam w, I love it, in from skiing, sit on balcony with drinks and nibbles and watch sun go down. Showers. Then family time cooking dinner together, eating it, then an evening of reading, DVD or board games
snow conditions
Quote:

a bottle of good quality wine

just one ?
snow conditions
it was a symbolic bottle I was talking about, @johnE . Like saying "we'll raise a glass
snow report
pam w wrote:
Quote:

Stuck in the apartment, having to cook

Bliss

I agree, and I did it for weeks on end in France, either with my OH or with visiting friends and family. If I never went to another bar, or restaurant, it wouldn't bother me much - I prefer sharing something that I, or friends, have cooked and a bottle of good quality wine which would cost ££££££££££ in a restaurant.

indeed we'd probably move to a future where people run "pop up restaurants" from their homes
snow conditions
Glad to see mr cheerful is his usual optimistic self,
ski holidays
the Sunday times did a small piece saying that the catered chalet may suffer but the self catering apartment will rise.
I like going out for dinner but not every night about 3 times in a week is a good balance for me, sometimes I am knackered & a pizza & DVD are the perfect night
ski holidays
Leading Austrian epidemiologist at AGES, Dr Daniela Schmid, in an interview about the risk of
infection in public transport, supermarkets and schools.

Mention about Après Ski close ""feuchtfröhlichen"" contact and spread of virus

""""Die Menschen haben sich nicht beim Skifahren angesteckt, sondern in den feuchtfröhlichen Après-Bars.
Bei vielen Sportarten ist es auch so, dass die Übertragung nicht währenddessen,
sondern beim engen Kontakt in der Umkleidekabine oder beim gemeinsamen Zusammensitzen danach passiert.""""""

https://futurezone.at/science/chef-epidemiologin-raet-kein-abbusseln-keine-u-bahn-telefonate/400836575

https://www.ages.at/en/ages/business-of-ages/
ski holidays
johnE wrote:
Quote:

just one ?

Yep. One bottle of good quality wine - then on to serveral bottles of the cheaper stuff.
latest report
Apres is a major part of our holiday. Hit the apres around 4 till 7 ish Go back to hotel 'happy', quick shower or wellness then dinner then bed. Repeat daily for 5 further days Very Happy
latest report
Mjit wrote:
johnE wrote:
Quote:

just one ?

Yep. One bottle of good quality wine - then on to serveral bottles of the cheaper stuff.

By the 2nd bottle, you can't tell if it's any good anyway.Wink Why waste any "good quality" ones? Smile
snow conditions
10 years ago apres and drinking in bars was a big part of the holiday. Last 3 years we now have self catered chalet with hot tub and 13-17 of us with kids of varying ages. Still like to eat out 3 or 4 times but will have no problem eating in every night and having our own party. Our best nights the last 3 years have all been in the chalet. I admit if it was just 3 or 4 of us that would be different as probably in a small apartment or hotel room.
snow report
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
I am reading all this Apres 4-7 then back for a shower & dinner, if I drank 4-7 it would be back for shower & bed!
I like a beer or two at the end of the day but not 3 hours of heavy party drinking.
it comes down to is the Folle Douce the highlight of your ski holiday?
ski holidays
Each to their own, we might stop for a drink at the end of the day or might not, we sometimes stop for lunch other times we take a sandwich if we have people come and stay we normally gave a meal out one night.
If you are lucky enough to have more than one or two weeks skiing it can get very expensive if you spend a lot in bars cafes etc.
If I was 20 again I would be out chasing ladies in bars every night, I'm a bit past that now and the mes might not be too happy about it either Laughing
latest report
For me, it's the overall experience, although skiing is still the priority. But if we end up in endless queues due to limited uplift capacity, have to queue for lunch, can't have a beer, get restricted on eating out options of an evening, all the while with the spectre of quarantine returning home, or sudden lockdown at the resort, it becomes a lot less appealing. That said, we dipped our toes into cross country the last couple of trips we did, and really enjoyed it, so that at least might be a way of enjoying the mountains for us in the future.

Not sure we'll be booking anything for this winter till we see how things pan out.
latest report
mikeelsa wrote:
10 years ago apres and drinking in bars was a big part of the holiday. Last 3 years we now have self catered chalet with hot tub and 13-17 of us with kids of varying ages. Still like to eat out 3 or 4 times but will have no problem eating in every night and having our own party. Our best nights the last 3 years have all been in the chalet. I admit if it was just 3 or 4 of us that would be different as probably in a small apartment or hotel room.

Would those "kids of varying ages" be "mostly 10 years old and younger" by any chance...? In my experience the approach to apres on a ski holiday is related to the age of the youngest group members.
- If you're all adults then it's likely to be full "out-out" apres.
- If the youngest are older teens then it tends to be "out" or maybe "out-out" a couple of nights/in the rest.
- Younger/mid teens and it's maybe a beer or two at the bottom before heading home.
- Drop to young/pre-teens and it's usually drinks back at the ranch.

All are different but all are fun as they are time spent with friends.
snow conditions
Quote:

- If you're all adults then it's likely to be full "out-out" apres.

Oddly our group is all adults and apres consists of a drink on the way back (vin chaud or small beer) and a couple trips out to the bar at about 22:00 during the week. TBH I don't think I'd miss the bars being closed.
ski holidays
I don't think the apres bars will be closed, more that the offering is likely to be different. Something like, limited numbers, sit down at a table, table service. You may not get the famous Austrian drinking music and table dancing, but something a bit more subdued, but still acceptable to many groups.
snow report
Quote:

sit down at a table

Shocked Laughing
ski holidays
You may not get the famous Austrian drinking music and table dancing, but something a bit more subdued, which is preferable to many groups.
snow report
johnE wrote:
You may not get the famous Austrian drinking music and table dancing, but something a bit more subdued, which is preferable to many groups.

anyone dancing on a table is probably already drunk to the point they are abnoxious. I cant be the only one that secretly hope some clown slips & they all go down like donimos.
ski holidays
johnE wrote:

and indeed there are places they can go (in normal times), each to their own
snow report
Mr.Egg wrote:
johnE wrote:

anyone dancing on a table is probably already drunk to the point they are abnoxious. I cant be the only one that secretly hope some clown slips & they all go down like donimos.

Nope your not alone & how come all those girls have perfect hair after a morning of skiing with a helmet on?
snow conditions
Mr.Egg wrote:
johnE wrote:

That's a harsh judgement painted with very broad stroke.

I've only been to Austria once. I did climb up on a picnic table and danced to the music! Very Happy

But I don't drink. Not at all. So the only I could be "drunk" of was the atmosphere of good fun! Laughing

I think it's pretty festive. I understand it's not everyone's cup of tea. Maybe I don't feel the same now, being 20+ years older. But for a 20 something, it was just... FUN! (wait! I may have just gone over the 30 mark at the time Embarassed )
ski holidays

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy