Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Anybody booking for 2021 yet?

Poster: A snowHead
DidierCouch wrote:
Layne wrote:
robs1 wrote:
snowdave wrote:
@BergenBergen, that’s a bit poo poo. I had the same debate, but since I was planning to share with a mate, I thought it best to just get it all set up.

Hopefully they’ll reinstate it before the ski season for you.

There’s always the alternative discount option... spend £300k on eurotunnel shares and you get 30% off Very Happy Then hope the shares don’t zero themselves again.

Is that 300 grand or 300 quid ? and is it 30% off every ticket or just once ?

https://www.getlinkgroup.com/content/uploads/2019/12/191205-conditions-generales-avantages-tarifaires-UK.pdf

That link says 750 of the consolidated (ie current) shares required which are trading at EUR13.75. So a holding of about £9.5k would qualify just now?

Good spot, apologies for the misdirection - I read it lazily and only looked at the unconsol form of the shares. £10k feels a bit more reasonable, although the level of discount isn't sufficient to tempt me into a saving that's only equivalent to Frequent Traveller (assuming it gets relaunched).
ski holidays
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Booked the Eurotunnel for HT today with a myriad of vouchers we had from last season. Return for £184 so not bad at all. Now just to decide where to go - the last couple of Feb half terms we've done smaller French places near Geneva (Les Contamines and La Clusaz) and will probably do somewhere similar this time.
ski holidays
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
I have now booked my second set of flights for next season. Second week of easter school holidays - flights booked in, means SFaB a distinct possibility
snow conditions
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
BergenBergen wrote:
@snowdave, I had been checking prices during the week and was ready to hit the button on the basis of trying to book as close to departure date as possible to get the benefit of the calender year before the tickets expire. When I went to create the wallet, the system just booted me back to the log in screen. Today they have updated the site to say its no longer available. Hope they reinstate at some point in the future as its just cost me an extra £130 on a return trip Sad
And now they have reintroduced the Frequent Traveller Tickets. I travel on Tuesday..... the barstewards.
latest report
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
My February HT holiday is confirmed Eurotunnel Flexiplus 12th returning 20th. Week at le Panoramic Flaine which is in a top location on the slopes, it is ski to door and I'd recommend to anyone considering Flaine as a destination (if you don't mind the area styling which I quite like). Looking forward to a few beers in the White Bar.

It was expensive c£450 more than this February sure some is Covid related, flexiplus and apartment £2.5 bags.

Looking at St Foy, Les Contamines or similar for following trip. What's you'r top tip for keeping cost down, Air Bnb or maybe book direct with local tourist office? Will definitely use Tesco vouchers for tunnel in future but will stick with Flexiplus we tipped up a full day early on the return leg this year during half term still flew straight through after filling shopping bags with food. That said I am generally a tight accountant so would like to shave a little off here and there I've set the wife a 10% budget challenge but she's picked up a few phrases and tells me she's sitting on a some accruals for missed holidays this year!

Who's driving down February HT next year?
latest report
 You'll need to Register first of course.
Driving down Feb HT to Meribel. Waiting for the ferry schedule to open though. Dropping the family off at Lyon at the end of the week so they can train it back. I’m doing a second week solo in the same apartment. Will ferry back on my own at the end of the second week unless a friend jumps on. Making the most of all my RCNs and getting 4 weeks in if all goes well.
snow conditions
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
BergenBergen wrote:
BergenBergen wrote:
@snowdave, I had been checking prices during the week and was ready to hit the button on the basis of trying to book as close to departure date as possible to get the benefit of the calender year before the tickets expire. When I went to create the wallet, the system just booted me back to the log in screen. Today they have updated the site to say its no longer available. Hope they reinstate at some point in the future as its just cost me an extra £130 on a return trip Sad
And now they have reintroduced the Frequent Traveller Tickets. I travel on Tuesday..... the barstewards.

Aaargh! I feel your pain. Had a load of new gear lined up in the Mammut summer sale a couple of weeks back, didn't check the end date of the sale, went to buy it all the next day and the 40% discount had ended overnight! Worse still, some of it was "essential", i.e. I now had to buy it at full price.
snow report
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
Anyone starting to feel more hopeful about booking yet? I'm close to booking somewhere whilst flights are cheap and late cancellation is an option, you've got to remain optimistic right?
snow conditions
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
@Minion1980, have literally just booked the transfer from Airport to apartment but the tipping point is that Alps 2 Alps emailed to say they have updated their terms and conditions so that if you have to cancel due to Covid-19 restrictions you don't get charge the normal 10% cancellation fee, making it free cancellation so the risk element has been removed, hence I was prepared to book it.
ski holidays
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
@NickyJ, nice, you booked anything else yet? I'm very close to booking an apartment in Bourg for 2 weeks at the end of Jan as there is free cancellation till the end of the year and buying the flights now.
ski holidays
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
We already have booked flights for Christmas week when EasyJet had those early release seats (I stupidly booked baggage then as well as assumed it would cost more to book that later, and then they did the baggage for a £1 offer - live and learn). We have an apartment booked in Lech, where the owners have offered free cancellation should we not be able to travel due to Covid-19 as well. Still need to book Lessons and lift passes. Not sure how late we can leave the lessons bit, Christmas is less busy than New Year and Half term, but do want think Girls would benefit form some.

Also as of Friday booked flights for second week of Easter School holidays out to Geneva, (£390 with BA!), with the thoughts we are 90% sure we will join the SFaB
snow report
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
@NickyJ, that sounds like a few awesome trips planned! Nice.
latest report
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
NickyJ wrote:

I stupidly booked baggage then as well as assumed it would cost more to book that later, and then they did the baggage for a £1 offer - live and learn

You “assumed” anything during a pandemic and a recession? rolling eyes

What did you “learn”? I don’t think it’s “stupid” to GAMBLE, knowing full well it could come out either way. But it would be stupid to “assume” that it would favor turning out one way more than the other....

Last edited by So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much on Sun 19-07-20 14:11; edited 2 times in total
latest report
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
With BA threatening to stop using Gatwick I'm not comfortable booking anything with them yet as a lot could get changed or cancelled. Swiss do some useful slots to GVA from LHR so will probably opt for that. Free ski carriage too!
latest report
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
@esaw1, we have booked Heathrow to gva
snow report
@NickyJ, I'm sure that's the safer option.
snow report
abc wrote:
NickyJ wrote:

I stupidly booked baggage then as well as assumed it would cost more to book that later, and then they did the baggage for a £1 offer - live and learn

You “assumed” anything during a pandemic and a recession? rolling eyes

What did you “learn”? I don’t think it’s “stupid” to GAMBLE, knowing full well it could come out either way. But it would be stupid to “assume” that it would favor turning out one way more than the other....

Thank you Happy
latest report
Found some great apartments that would be ideal for us end of Januaray early February in the Dolomites, but the owners wanted half deposit up front within a week to hold booking. Asked about cancellation charges especially with the risk of a spike in Coronavirus....if Italy goes back into lockdown then 90% refunded, if UK in lockdown 50%. If we decide not to go because of concerns, then nil refund....!

So, reluctantly decided not to book. Can see the owners issues as well, but will have to wait and see later in the year to see if they are still available.
ski holidays
@Simon94, that is a low demand week, there would be no need to book now unless you needed something very specific.
ski holidays
@Simon94, we found an owner that was happy to offer full refund should we not be able to get there due to lockdown. So keep looking and asking.
ski holidays
@NickyJ, thanks Nicky, still looking.
@Layne, I understand the demand timings, but if you find the ideal accommodation in the ideal spot at the ideal time, it can be a bit deflating...
latest report
Well I've done it, flights booked with BA, £130 return to Geneva, apartment in Bourg booked through HA, cancellation available up until beginning of January, got to have hope everything will be fine, if not so be it, my mountain sojourns are the highlight of my year so worth the risk to me.
ski holidays
Going to my cousin's chalet with some mates just after New Year. Dirt cheap flights, and bag, with Easyjet then share of a hire car. If it all goes completely t*ts up we are not massively out of pocket.
latest report
I usually book my ski holiday around October but because of the virus I will be holding off till December or January for further information. If lifts are operating social distancing then the queues will be over an hour and I am just not prepared to wait that long for most lifts. It would undoubtedly ruin my holiday create an utterly awful experience.
snow conditions
Still sticking to my initial inclination to wait and see then book last minute. Swithered briefly over Crystal deals and prices a couple of weeks ago so sent them an email with some specific 'what if' questions that went unanswered so have done nothing.

@UKSki, I agree, it's definitely going to be about actual quality for me as opposed to mere possibility. If its very restricted and structured and full of virus related must do's and can't do's then it's not a holiday as I want it. I'll keep the cash for when I can do it as I like.
ski holidays
Meribel sent us emails with 'up to 40% off'. Usually 10%. None mentioning late cancellation etc.
snow report
robboj wrote:
If its very restricted and structured and full of virus related must do's and can't do's then it's not a holiday

This. I'd rather wait, too.
snow conditions
maggi wrote:
robboj wrote:
If its very restricted and structured and full of virus related must do's and can't do's then it's not a holiday

This. I'd rather wait, too.

Better than sitting at home looking at four walls
latest report
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
robs1 wrote:
Better than sitting at home looking at four walls

Well, nobody could disagree with that Laughing . But there are lots of alternatives!
snow conditions
BergenBergen wrote:
BergenBergen wrote:

Just saw this but apparently complaining via Twitter works wonders in similar circumstances, with some companies.
snow report
I just turned 60 and seemed to have gained a somewhat teenager-ish WTF attitude ..... so I have pulled the trigger on four skiing hols. France, Macedonia, Canada, and Italy.
I have done this on the acceptance that I may not be able to go on them all due to the ever-changing Covid situation.
Sadly I think that Canada [late January] is the least likely as they seem to be the most risk averse.
There seems to be a reasonable degree of flexability with the airlines/resorts and I have a season pass for my Canadian destination so I may be able to roll with the punches.

We all need something to look forward to, and I prefer to stay positive ... it's good for my mental health.
It all may go horribly wrong, but I think C.S.Lewis said there is as much joy in the journey as in the arriving. I am enjoying the planning.
I have just bought a new avi bag, a pair of heated gloves, and I am going to Colin to get my boots adjusted [again] tomorrow.
I might even head to Hemel one day soon seeing as it has just opened again ......

Recent days have shown that the restrictions can change hourly. It is impossible to second-guess. I've managed to get some pretty cheap flights.
It may all be crassly optimistic but .... hey.
snow report
@FoofyNoo, good on you and like mind with us.

Let’s face it the airlines and holiday companies need people like us to have any hope of staying afloat
ski holidays
@FoofyNoo, Hemel still closed. Next review 15 August.
ski holidays
cad99uk wrote:
@FoofyNoo, Hemel still closed. Next review 15 August.

Thanks for the info ...
I will check back on the 15th.
snow report
NickyJ wrote:
@FoofyNoo, good on you and like mind with us.

Let’s face it the airlines and holiday companies need people like us to have any hope of staying afloat

Yes, I really feel that too.
I knew of a good few companies that were pretty much 'on the edge' even in normal circumstances.
With covid they must be desperate!
Even selfishly, I don't want to see these companies fold.
The future of skiing is precarious enough already.

http://youtube.com/v/AVSjsYHX6eM

If I can help a bit by being a little over-optimistic with my booking then ... great!
ski holidays
@FoofyNoo, that's my spirit too. If we all just sit and wait for thing to go back to normal, they never will, becaud the people who make it happen will go out of business.

I would rather spend 40-60 minutes in lift queue than sit in rainy UK or worse fry myself on a beach in Egypt.

Took all our skis to Ski Bartlett yesterday to be serviced in anticipation of Hemel reopening. Heads up - they operate a reduced working week and it takes 2-3 weeks to do.
snow report
We are selling our apartment with a view to buying smaller, in present climate unlikely it will sell in short term but we intend going skiing in 2021 twice as normal with thoughts of doing one 2 week holiday as one of the breaks with me working for a week in France.

Only a shut down in France would stop us going. 6 months a lifetime away at present. Am I worried about going, no as the main area it spreads has no interest to us anyway 'apres'.
latest report
How do I spell "Avera ski pass" as mentioned in the video?
snow report
Today's death figures are low but the infection figures, according to Worldometer, are horribly high. And that is even considering weekend variations.

I have booked a couple of Snow Works courses and two weeks accommodation in Tignes with small deposits and am still clinging to the hope that all will be well.

More realistically, I am trying to accept that 21/22 will be even better because we will have had to wait for so long.
snow report
esaw1 wrote:
Today's death figures are low but the infection figures, according to Worldometer, are horribly high.

When you say "infection figures", you should really be saying "confirmed cases". It's important to remember that testing in many countries is much higher than it was earlier in the year, so fewer (though still a lot of) infections will be being missed.

As for what the 20/21 season will be like... yeah, it's a guessing game at the moment Sad
snow conditions

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy