Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Do you know a glacier ?

Poster: A snowHead
OK so I want to compile glacier info. If you know one reasonably well please copy the headings below and add as many answers as you can to this post. Answers should refer to summer skiing only. Thanks,

Nearest lively town:
Dist from lively town to lift:
Name of Glacier:
Slopes face:
No of runs:
Total KM runs:
%black/red/blue:
Chair/T/Button:
Summer season dates:
dist from Calais (M):
nearest airport(s):
team training:
town height:
height of runs:
general comments:

Last edited by Poster: A snowHead on Sat 22-04-06 21:09; edited 1 time in total
latest report
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
mike, sorry to be unhelpful. I don't really do forms like this. If you want to know anything about the following glaciers, I've skied them: Tignes, Les 2 Alpes, Val d'Isere, Hintertux, Solden, Kaprun (Kitzsteinhorn), Stubai, Zermatt, Saas Fee, Engelberg, Laax.

For a lovely resort (with good access to glacier) the best are Zermatt and Saas Fee
For best skiing: Hintertux (you don't have to stay there - try Lanersbach)
Other good glaciers: Saas Fee, Solden, Stubai.

Personally I'd avoid glaciers in July/Aug/Sept unless the snow is known to be OK. Things can get ropey in high summer.
snow report
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
The Abominable snowHead, haven't some of them melted since? Wink Smile
ski holidays
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
Yes, I should have mentioned that. They've all been bottled, and are available in London or Bourg St Maurice.
ski holidays
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Nearest lively town: LDA
Dist from lively town to lift:???
Name of Glacier:Lauze
Slopes face:West and North West
No of runs:Depends on how you count them
Total KM runs:don't know about 50 hectares
%black/red/blue:Mostly blue - 2 decents reds early season and one (unmarked) black - Snowheads Wall early on as well - reds steeper than Tignes black btw!!
Chair/T/Button:3 chairs 1 funicular 7 T bars 2 rope tows
Summer season dates:18/06 - end Aug
dist from Calais (M):670 ish
nearest airport(s):Grenoble
team training:yes
town height:1650
height of runs:2900 - 3600
general comments:wide

www.les2alpes.com (tourist office) www.2alpes.com (lift company)
snow conditions
 You'll need to Register first of course.
Hintertux

Nearest lively town: Mayerhofen
Dist from lively town to lift:[? free bus about 40 min (other villages enroute with bars etc. Very good hotels at base of glacier can reccomend Rindererhof)
Name of Glacier: Hintertux
Slopes face: all directions!
No of runs: 18 runs (plus subsidiaries) also board park
Total KM runs: 86 Km
%black/red/blue: 3 black, 8 red, 6 blue
Chair/T/Button: 7 'T' bars
dist from Calais (M): ?
nearest airport(s): Innesbruch, Munich
town height: Hintertux village 1500m
height of runs: Kaserer 3268m
general comments: very friendly, very picturesque villages and great walks (lakes nearby) in the summer after a morning on the glacier.
snow report
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
The Abominable snowHead wrote:
Tignes, Les 2 Alpes, Val d'Isere, Hintertux, Solden, Kaprun (Kitzsteinhorn), Stubai, Zermatt, Saas Fee, Engelberg, Laax.

That's a good list. More recent ones in Austria are Kaunertal, Pitztal and Molltal. Not sure if those stay open all summer though.
also:
Norway: Folgefonn, Galdhopiggen, Stryn.
N America: Blackcomb, Mt Hood
latest report
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
Presenna Glacier above Passo Tonale in Italy.

Village 1900m

Glacier 2700-3000m

Reached by: Modern Gondola to 2500m, 2 man chair to 2700m, 2 T-Bars to 3000m

Wide Reds and 1 black above 2700m. Great black run back to the village.

Still very skiable back to village. Checkout www.adamelloski.com
snow report
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
easiski, I went to LDA last July and only saw 2 t-bars side by side going up the middle of the glacier and a run on either side coming back down, probably blues. Where are the other runs ? I can't see them on the piste map either. and what is a snowheads wall ?

Last edited by You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net. on Sat 22-04-06 21:21; edited 1 time in total
snow conditions
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
Lorraine, I should have emphasised summer skiing in my question. Is 86km available in the summer ? that's a lot. do you know what dates it is open in the summer ? does the free bus run in the summer ? So, the journey takes 40 mins, how frequently does it run ? and if I understand you the Rindererhof is 40 mins bus ride from the nearest lively town which is Mayerhofen ?
snow report
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
johnboy, Do your comments apply to summer skiing, ski back to 1900m in summer ?
ski holidays
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
mike.healy, I went to Hintertux in August last year and it was less than Lorraine's figures. If you have a piste map, the runs available were the blues 9/9a from the Olperer lifts and the reds 5 and 8 from the gefrorene wand 1+2 and the red 4 from the 2er gefrorene wand 3b lifts.

If you have a car, Mayrhofen to Hintertux is more like 25 minutes I would have thought Confused

Hope this helps.
snow report
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
There's Glacier 3000 at Les Diablerets. If you want an answer to the rest of your questions, try www.glacier3000.com or www.viamichelin.com
snow conditions
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
mike.healy, speaking from personal experience I would say skiing on glaciers up until end of June is OK. Beyond that forget it until end of October. If you really insist on skiing in August-September then Hintertux is the best of a bad lot, but frankly I wouldn't bother. Perhaps if you are doing some kind of combined activity holiday ( e.g mountain bike + ski ) then doing a day on the glacier is interesting if only to see how messed up a glacier looks in the middle of summer. Be prepared for blank ice in the morning and knee deep slush by midday ( of course there are exceptions and every once in a while you do get a dump even in the middle of summer, but don't count on it ).
ski holidays
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Ray Zorro, It's not 25 minutes on the bus and you must have been shifting to do it in 25 minutes by car! My piste figures come from this years piste guide, I can check again in May if you like! wink

mike.healy, No you cannot ski the lot in Summer you do 3, 4, 5, 8, 11a (reds). 5a, 8a, 11b (black). 9. 9a (blue). These are the ones that are open all the time. 11, 12 if there has been a good amout of snow (certainly open until backend of May). The rest will be closed for the summer.

One note of caution particularly in the Summer, stay on piste the cravasses are awesome, I know I have said this before but about 2 years ago they lost a piste basher down one!

The Rindererhof is at the base of the mountain where you catch the Gondola, the food is excellent and there is an open air pool and tennis courts nearby. Alternatively you could stay in Voderlannersbach (the Forelle is good) or lannersbach. The bus is free with a permit that the hotel owner will give you for your stay.

Mike Lawrie, I agree with you, unless you are training with a team this should be looked upon as a mountain holiday with skiing. You can ski in your shorts if you wish, friends of mine have done it in less! You should ski the morning and then take the opportunity to enjoy the mountains from a different perspective.

Personally I wouldn't want to stay in Mayerhofen, I'd rather go to Innesbruch but then we have been skiing here almost every year for the last 10 years and we have made some very good friends in the valley, who have since been over to stay with us.
ski holidays
Lorraine, mike.healy, I went to Hintertux in August and November last year and neither time were any of the blacks 5a, 8a or 11b open.

As I said before, in August 2005 runs red 4, 5 (but not down to 3er Schlegeiss) and 8 and blues 9 and 9A were open.

In November, red runs 3, 4, 5, 8, 11, 11A and blues 9, 9A and 12 were open.

I won't argue about the time to Mayrhofen as we didn't do the split time, but it is only 25-30km and the road is not particularly winding apart from a couple of places. I seem to recall that we made Innsbruck in a little over an hour and I definitely did Salzburg/Hintertux in 2 hours 10 mins. So I don't think my timing was that inaccurate.
ski holidays
Another one we haven't mentioned yet: Val Senales / Schnalstal
snow conditions
don't know if it still opens but Val Thorens used to be open summer and from October (1976 !) - team training only and restricted runs - official website indicates lifts open for pedestrians and mountain bikes - no mention of snow !
snow report
mike.healy,

No, I was just refering to the current conditions.
snow conditions
Chris Craggs, VT glaicer hasn't opened in summer for some time. I think they also removed the highest of the glacier chairs somewhile ago, something to do with the height of the pylons exceeding some EU directive and it not being worthwhile replacing because of the short summer season.
snow report
Glacier 3000 / Diablerets

Nearest lively town: lively? Aigle I suppose, or Lausanne
Dist from lively town to lift: 15 mins from Aigle, 45 min drive from Lausanne
Name of Glacier: Glacier 3000 (Glacier de Tsanfleuron)
Slopes face: Northish
No of runs: 2-5
Total KM runs: not much, more in October
%black/red/blue: about 0/15/85 ; superpipe ; snowpark
Chair/T/Button: 2 access cable cars, 1 quad chair, 3 t-bars
Summer season dates: Mid-June to late July, reopens mid-October dependant on snow conditions
dist from Calais (M): ??? quite a bit
nearest airport(s): Geneva / Sion
team training: Yes
town height: les diablerets, 1300m
height of runs: 2900-3000m
general comments: Might be closed this year, but 80% chance opening summer 2007. Relatively flat glacier with little more than the (very good) snowpark on offer over the summer months. Very picturesque, with lake geneva 1/2hour drive away. For change of ideas, brilliant lift-served mountain biking in PDS 1/2 hour drive away
snow conditions
mike.healy,

Why do you want this info Puzzled
snow conditions
Ray Zorro, they were in Feb!
snow report
Lorraine wrote:
Ray Zorro, they were in Feb!
I'm sure they were, but mike.healy, was stressing the summer wink
ski holidays
Chill wink
latest report
johnboy, I should have made it clearer in my initial post.

I want to go skiing in late June/ early July with my 18 yr old son. In the afternoons and evenings we need something to do, mountain biking, bars, shops, golf range, swimming, etc. Last year we had a week in LDA in July. From what I recall the runs were a bit limited (though I was still a bit cautious then) but there was a good bit going on in town. And it was T-bar's going up. Got spoilt in Bansko in Feb with almost all chairs.

I did get bored by the end of the week and on 2 days they closed the lifts due to bad weather up top.
latest report
Lorraine, I have now just booked for a short break to Hintertux during the half term with part of the family. I got the impression that you are also there then Confused If so, I shall listen out for a Geordie accent on the slopes wink
ski holidays
Ray Zorro, I think Lorraine supports West Ham, so she may not be a native Northumbrian! (Sorry if I should have that wrong, Lorraine.)
snow report
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
laundryman, yes, I wondered about that myself, but concluded that it may just be because there are no football teams in the North-East.
snow report
Ray Zorro, Laughing you'd better hope FTS and Paul Mason aren't interested in glaciers. Laughing
snow conditions
mike.healy, http://www.2alpes.com/summer/uk/site/glisse/ledomaine/plan.html# for the glacier map. Was it foggy when you were up there? wink wink
snow report
Ray Zorro, watch it!! Women watch foorball up here!!!
snow report
easiski, Thanks Charlotte. I admit I was nervous as it was only my second week, then I got altitude sickness on day 1 and the lifts were closed for 2 days, I suppose I never really got my bearings. It is bigger that I realised last year, so a return is very possible as there is so much else to do around town. I hadn't come across those maps they willbe very useful.
snow conditions
mike.healy, No sweast - I was a bit surprised at what you said,but that explains it! The maps are on the DAL (lift company) website, rather than the tourist office one. The TO one directs you to DAL I think. Very Happy
ski holidays
easiski, Were any of the runs shown closed last July ? Are they usually all open in July ?
snow report
mike.healy, Depends on when in July. We usually lose the Roche Mantel and the Signal (and consequently the two red runs leading down to them) sometime in July. Sometimes not until the end - it all depends on how hot it is between now and then! General rule of thumb is mid-July though. (I have skied them into August). At the moment it's not particularly hot - let's hope it stays this way - sunny and pleasant, but not hot. Little Angel
ski holidays
Im mike healys son and he's just shown me the piste maps that were posted by easyski (than-q), im a bit confused, when we went there last year the ice caves were at the top of the glacier,were they not?, why is it then that they are shown as being half-way up the glacier rather than at its peak? does this mean there were more runs that we were unable to access? im nbot sure of them being at the top, just remember not being able to go any higher.
also it would seem that there are in fact a decent number of runs up there however when we went there the only runs we were presented with were the three that run parrallel just in front of the top of the second gondola. as far as i was aware and although i may be wrong i recall it being mentioned by our instructor that these were the only available runs in the summer months however the info you have provided conflicts this, can you or anyone help?
ski holidays
easiski,

That's nearly twice the area of our farm!!
ski holidays
nickh93, welcome to snowHeads! snowHead
latest report
nickh93, The ice caves are at the top of the funicular, but not at the top of the glacier - there's another lift further up. You went in august, so the Puy Salie and the Lauze were probably the only runs left by then. Coming in July is very different - better still, come in June!!! We can sometimes ski down to 2,600 at the beginning of the summer season. I don't tell any porkies - what I say is the truth about the conditions.

johnboy, Quite big - you'll have to check it out at the PSB!!! wink
latest report

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy